Shounen - Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryuu | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryuu

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Description: ~Thanks to kirimi~

Shiki (Corpse Demon)
This series is about village with a population of about 1300 people, and during one fiercely hot summer, many mysterious incidents happened one after another... Shiki is based on a best-selling horror novel by Ono Fuyumi. Fans may know of her other novels such as Twelve Kingdoms (which has been animated) and Ghost Hunt (adapted to both a shoujo manga and anime). Fujisaki Ryuu is a long-time JUMP mangaka of series such as Houshin Engi (recently released by ViZ), and Waqwaq, both of which ran in WJ.

Get the first chapter HERE

Discuss Away!

Download links
Edited Mangas by SnoopyCool & AkuTenshi
Prologue (SQ 2008 #1)
Chapter 1 (SQ 2008 #2
Chapter 2 (SQ 2008 #3)
Chapter 3 (SQ 2008 #4)
Chapter 4 (SQ 2008 #5)
Side Story (Chapter 4.5) (SQ 2006 #6)

Last edited by a moderator:

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryuu Discussion

I remember Waqwaq, it wasn't bad.

This series looks promising. I'm curious how it will develop :)

kirimi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

This is a great start to the series. I'm hoping that being restricted to the boundaries of the original work will temper Fujisaki-sensei's tendency to go wild. Heheh. Fujisaki is really a master storyteller (note, I didn't say creator XD). The pacing is absolutely wonderful, despite the 67 pages of prologue. If it feels like it's moving slowly, that's because it matches the feel of the remote, rural village, though you can definitely feel Megumi's impatience. Great way to create the atmosphere! If this manga had background music, I tell you, I would be too freaked out to translate it. Haha.

By the way, the novel series, Shiki, is 5 volumes of roughly 500 pages each. So, I hope this series continues for a while! Here are Amazon JP links to the novels in case anyone is interested in looking for it.
- Volume 1 ISBN 978-4101240237
- Volume 2 ISBN 978-4101240244
- Volume 3 ISBN 978-4101240251
- Volume 4 ISBN 978-4101240268
- Volume 5 ISBN 978-4101240275

Back to the chapter. I'm really curious about the priest's poem/story of the corpse demon, since I'm guessing it's related to the main story here. These are probably the main characters of the series, only because they've been featured in colour. XD And they have more than a one-line description in the Really Long character list of the novel.

Yuuki (Koide) Natsuno - According to the JP wikipedia entry (link above), Koide is his mother's name and Yuuki is his father's name. They're not married, it seems, but Natsuno uses Yuuki for his family name.

Muroi Seishin - The young priest from the temple.

Ozaki Toshio - The director / doctor of the hospital.

Renegade334

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Mmmh...you know, according to Ono Fuyumi herself, after she was asked whether she would continue the still incomplete Ghost Hunt/Evil Spirit (Ghost Hunt's original name IIRC) novel series, she stated that she'd be resuming work on an old supernatural-horror series she had put on hold a while ago. At first her fans thought she was indeed referring to Ghost Hunt, but now that Shiki is back to the fore, one can wonder whether this wasn't what she was actually talking about.

So...50/50, I'd say. Or is 70/30?

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Re: [SQ] Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryuu - Discussion

shiki is really great, can't wait for it to come out. I mean chapter four

shiki is getting more mysterious, thrilling each chapter and still you get the feeling to know more

@mods: can't there be a seperate SQ manga discussion thread -> because lots of SQ threads are forgotten threads

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

shiki is really great, can't wait for it to come out. I mean chapter four

shiki is getting more mysterious, thrilling each chapter and still you get the feeling to know more

@mods: can't there be a seperate SQ manga discussion thread -> because lots of SQ threads are forgotten threads
I'm not sure what you're asking Koen...we have a Jump SQ thread.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

I'm not sure what you're asking Koen...we have a Jump SQ thread.
Yeah I know there's different jump SQ manga threads but they seem to be forgotten. I was surprised that shiki only had 3 replis and 400+ views and it was on the fourth page of the shounen section

well as long as there's topic I am fine but sometimes it's hard to find a topic that's why I thought like the RTS thread to make a shonen section devided in SQ, WSJ and other magazine discussion boards but nvm it's as good as it is

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Yeah I know there's different jump SQ manga threads but they seem to be forgotten. I was surprised that shiki only had 3 replis and 400+ views and it was on the fourth page of the shounen section

well as long as there's topic I am fine but sometimes it's hard to find a topic that's why I thought like the RTS thread to make a shonen section devided in SQ, WSJ and other magazine discussion boards but nvm it's as good as it is
Hmm, well dividing discussion into magazines wouldn't be ideal for series other than what is in WSJ and JUMP SQ. Mainly because series from other magazines aren't as popular, and on average, there's probably only a bunch from any given magazine (aside from WSJ and JUMP SQ) that have threads here at MH.

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Shiki is definately my favourite SQ series, love the storyline.

I have a feeling everyone in the village except for the main characters are going to die, just my gut feeling.

How many characters have been introduced btw???? It's hard to keep track, since there are so many that are introduced in each chapter so far.

kirimi said:
By the way, the novel series, Shiki, is 5 volumes of roughly 500 pages each.
Are the novels directly related to the manga???

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Shiki is definately my favourite SQ series, love the storyline.

I have a feeling everyone in the village except for the main characters are going to die, just my gut feeling.

How many characters have been introduced btw???? It's hard to keep track, since there are so many that are introduced in each chapter so far.

Are the novels directly related to the manga???
The manga is based on the novels. The manga is an adaptation of the story actually.

kirimi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Well, I've never read the novels so I don't know how closely the manga follows it. I don't want to spoil myself either. :3

Anyway, grab Chapter 4 at the Latest Edited Mangas forum! The mystery deepens. :oh

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

If we may believe onemanga then shiki is licensed in america

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been faithfully watching the anime, but thanks to naruto-niichan encouraging me to give the manga a try and thanks to an AMV of the series (which included some scenes from the manga) I watched yesterday, I began reading this manga and I’m so glad I did it. This manga is fantastic. :cool: It has suspense, horror, drama, friendship, mystery, a bit of romance, a bit of comedy; it’s such an amazing series!:thumbs The art, the story, and the characters are great, which not only makes Shiki very enjoyable but it also makes you reflect and ponder about things that happen in this series. Sometimes you feel bad for the humans, but other times you can’t help but side with the shiki. I read the series until chapter 33, I don’t know if chapter 34 has been scalanted yet but if it hasn’t, I hope it gets scalanted soon because I can’t wait to see what happens next. To the manga fans of this series I recommend you watching the anime, and to the anime fans I definitely recommend you reading the manga. There are some important and interesting details that didn’t make it into the anime so reading the manga would definitely help you enjoy the series even more. :)

Last edited:

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
i never knew that there was a thread for Shiki!!!... well i kind a dun like to watch the same thing over and over again... if the manga has more to give then be sure to inform me Des nee...... I am available in FF .....

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have mixed feelings about this post, part of me wants to see you keep posting in the OC in the Shiki thread (the one for the anime) but part of me knows that as a fellow Shiki fan I must let you know that the manga has more info and stuff about the series than the anime, not a lot, but yes it has more info. I completely recommend you reading the manga :), it is great! :cool:

Negative Syndicate

Does Shiki currently flowing same plot-line as original novel or does it changed? I didn't read original novel, but it looks like Shiki might ends on next year.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Although I have never read either (I watch the anime), I have heard that it differs.

One major plot point being that Natsuno dies and stays dead in the novel, but he rises in the manga (and by extension the anime). I'm not sure what exact events are influenced by this, but I am sure there are a lot since Natsuno is a main character...

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Honestly, I have no clue since I don't read the manga XD Judging from the anime, yes, but that may be because they could be gearing it for an anime-only ending (and well, only 6 eps left), so that's not a very good gauge.

I plan to read the manga so maybe when I have I can come back and give a proper reply ^^;;

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does Shiki currently flowing same plot-line as original novel or does it changed?

Thanks to karice67 for the info!

According to this article, linked from the Japanese wiki

When Fujisaki Ryuu asked her for permission to adapt her novel into a manga, Ono-sensei requested that the manga be different from the original. She checks the draft of each chapter before Fujisaki-sensei completes it, but I don't know how much control she exerts over the story.

And it is with this episode that the manga/anime really starts to differ from the novel: in the original novel, Natsuno didn't rise up. One of the reasons FujiRyuu chose him to bring back was probably to appeal to the younger crowd, but, as part of our watching experience from here on, I think it might be interesting to consider how the story might have been different (i.e. how Ono-sensei originally did it and why).

I didn't read original novel, but it looks like Shiki might ends on next year.
IMHO, the current events in the manga could very well be leading to the climax of the story, so I wouldn’t disregard the possibility of Shiki ending next year.