Discussion - Shin Prince of Tennis Tournament Discussion Thread | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Shin Prince of Tennis Tournament Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
What. Seriously where did this come from.
Motion Vision being enough to handle Habu. It would imply this.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Because...?
In case you didn't read the chapters, Kamio defeated Sengoku.

In case you didn't read the other chapters, Kamio attaince Mojuu no Aura.

I see no reason to assume Sengoku suddenly got an off-screen upgrade that exceeded the boost Mojuu no Aura provided.
In fact, there IS no reason to assume that.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

So going from 6-7 against someone on city level to 6-4 against someone on national level is negligible? Sure why not.

And whether Sakata was better than Kamio or not is something we can't say. He was probably faster though (at least before Moujuu).
Can't be proven he was faster.
He lost on Regional level to Kamio actually.
And also, let's face it. Richard Sakata came from an awfully weak Region.
His team were weak.

He was never highly revered as a strong guy. Sengoku only got 6-4 over him.
Can't see why he could be near Kamio with Mojuu no Aura.

Kamio was better than Sengoku before, got a significant upgrade.
Sengoku's upgrade couldn't have been that significant otherwise Konomi would have at least given him an extra page or two.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Why have him win as the only person then? Why not have him lose as well, it's not like anyone would have been in an uproar.
In case you didn't notice Kaoz,
Sengoku after Akutsu shits on everything in Yamabuki.
Yamabuki suck eggs besides him.

It didn't alarm me at all when he won at least. Its not like he and his team are of a similar level.
yeah they may have out-classed freaking Muramochi, Nitobe/Kita or Jimmies, or some other random dude, but Sengoku was levels above them.

They weren't in the same situation.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Well what do you expect? As much as we like to theorize it here, complete blowouts happen very rarely.
Blow outs where one opponent is levels above the other happens frequently.

Hyotei handed blow outs to Shishigaku.
So did Shitenhoji to Okakura, Ibu Shinji and Tachibana, I don't want to have to go look into databooks, but blow outs were far from rare in that databook.
Rather often.

When opponents are of a similar level, then sure it's a tight match.
Can't see why somebody who got 6-4 on Richard Sakata deserves praise as a guy who made significant improvement.

So beat a fast player. Richard has been portrayed as a guy who only runs fast. That's it.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

You're acting like Habu is some godly move. The ball just curves a bit after it bounces, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get used to it after constantly hitting it for a game or two. According to what Hirakoba said ("You can see it clearly already"), the shot even follows a set path, it's not like it's random like Rai.
That's entirely your assumption that it has a set path.
And now I see you're assuming Sengoku and Fuji are Mentally equal then.

It doesn't curve just 'a bit'. I don't see why you're downgrading this move.
http://www.mangareader.net/422-27160-7/prince-of-tennis/chapter-263.html
At such a late stage in the game, we can assume Fuji has only JUST got a perfect return on this as the audience seem surprised.

Not seeing Sengoku return it sooner than Fuji.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
The jimmies are great, they are the only ones (except for the GP) that play real doubles in this series lol.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
The jimmies are great, they are the only ones (except for the GP) that play real doubles in this series lol.
What actually good pair plays real tennis? By Nationals, they sucked.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Motion Vision being enough to handle Habu. It would imply this.
So that should have read "Kikumaru > Hirakoba" then. And yeah, probably. Given that Habu is just a straight shot until after the bounce and Kikumaru volleys a lot... it'd depend on how many Giant Habus Hirakoba can hit by now.

In case you didn't read the chapters, Kamio defeated Sengoku.
Yeah, with a last second effort after his legs already gave out. If Sengoku wasn't the arrogant type that he is and had actually started attacking sooner than 3-4, that probably wouldn't have happened.

In case you didn't read the other chapters, Kamio attaince Mojuu no Aura.

I see no reason to assume Sengoku suddenly got an off-screen upgrade that exceeded the boost Mojuu no Aura provided.
In fact, there IS no reason to assume that.
That's too bad for you then I guess.

Kenya was still faster than Moujuu!Kamio. Kenya and Sakata were portrayed as roughly equally fast when the losers return.

He was never highly revered as a strong guy. Sengoku only got 6-4 over him.
"What incredible speed, St. Icarus's Richard Sakata!! His legs are so fast that you can barely see them!"

http://www.mangareader.net/422-27170-1/prince-of-tennis/chapter-273.html

Never heard anyone saying Kamio was so fast that his legs got blurry.

Kamio was better than Sengoku before, got a significant upgrade.
Sengoku's upgrade couldn't have been that significant otherwise Konomi would have at least given him an extra page or two.
Konomi did gave him two pages actually (unlike the guys from Midoriyama for example). Also the situation is completely different. Sengoku wasn't of any importance to the story anymore whereas Kamio was used to set up Shiten as SF opponent.

In case you didn't notice Kaoz,
Sengoku after Akutsu shits on everything in Yamabuki.
Yamabuki suck eggs besides him.
Jimmies were decent. Kita/Nitobe beat Fuji/Kawamura (who in turn had the upper hand against Fudomine before Kawamura's injury).

It didn't alarm me at all when he won at least. Its not like he and his team are of a similar level.
yeah they may have out-classed freaking Muramochi, Nitobe/Kita or Jimmies, or some other random dude, but Sengoku was levels above them.
How do you want to know that? They 6-0'd the guys that 6-0'd other guys, you can't get much better without screen time.

Blow outs where one opponent is levels above the other happens frequently.

Hyotei handed blow outs to Shishigaku.
So did Shitenhoji to Okakura, Ibu Shinji and Tachibana, I don't want to have to go look into databooks, but blow outs were far from rare in that databook.
Rather often.
What? Tachibana's match was a blowout? And yeah, it happens if their level is too different (so are you agreeing that Nagoya is better than the other random teams then and beating them actually means something?).

When opponents are of a similar level, then sure it's a tight match.
Can't see why somebody who got 6-4 on Richard Sakata deserves praise as a guy who made significant improvement.

So beat a fast player. Richard has been portrayed as a guy who only runs fast. That's it.
I told you this before, but this is just getting circular.

"Sakata sucks because he lost to Sengoku."
"Sengoku didn't make any significant improvements, he only got a 6-4 against Sakata."

And last I checked, Kamio didn't have anything besides speed either.

Not seeing Sengoku return it sooner than Fuji.
I never said he'd break it sooner than Fuji. Also, what do you think Fuji vs Hirakoba would be in a singles match at that point? I can't see Hirakoba taking more than 2 games thanks to Habu, and quite frankly he doesn't have anything left after that.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
That's too bad for you then I guess.

Kenya was still faster than Moujuu!Kamio. Kenya and Sakata were portrayed as roughly equally fast when the losers return.
Kenya who ran on water?
No. Neither was shown at their top speed. YOU have assumed this.
Doubt Richard is running across water.

What? Tachibana's match was a blowout? And yeah, it happens if their level is too different (so are you agreeing that Nagoya is better than the other random teams then and beating them actually means something?).
Tachibana VS Hagi Einoshin.

It means Sengoku and Richard are likely of a similar level. We haven't been shown anything notable impressive from Richard.
Not sure why we should assume Richard is faster than Mojuu no Aura Kamio. Nothing suggests we should assume that.

And no, Nagoya could have been a rather weak side like Yamabuki is. But significantly better. Which isn't hard when you remove Sengoku and Akutsu.
So Sengoku is the man who stood out in Yamabuki as somebody who doesn't suck.

So a team that wipes Nitobe/Kita or Jimmies or Muramochi or this Nishikori geezer is a strong team? Lol. Doesn't mean a thing.
Yamabuki excluding Sengoku and Akutsu suck like the other random teams.

Nagoya are just another random team who are just not as weak as Yamabuki without Sengoku and Akutsu.
It's not like they comfortably bt Yamabuki anyway. They just got 6-4 over Jimmies,
They only crushed Nitobe/Kita and Muramochi.
Nitobe/Kita may have been some force in Prefecturals, but it appears that they have had no improvement since Prefecturals.

I think its clear Muramochi and the rest of Yamabuki suck.
Nagoya pre-foreign regulars don't mean a thing.

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 AM ----------

"What incredible speed, St. Icarus's Richard Sakata!! His legs are so fast that you can barely see them!"

http://www.mangareader.net/422-27170-1/prince-of-tennis/chapter-273.html

Never heard anyone saying Kamio was so fast that his legs got blurry.
Irrelevant.
We have never seen Kamio make clones like Kikumaru.
Kamio is still the fastest in Kanto.

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 AM ----------

Konomi did gave him two pages actually (unlike the guys from Midoriyama for example). Also the situation is completely different. Sengoku wasn't of any importance to the story anymore whereas Kamio was used to set up Shiten as SF opponent.
Take note that I said ''extra'' in my post. That means ''in addition to--''
Midoriyama got comfortably shut down. They sucked since Regionals.
Yamabuki who didn't close the gap since Prefecturals sucked by Nationals.

---------- Post added at 05:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 AM ----------

Jimmies were decent. Kita/Nitobe beat Fuji/Kawamura (who in turn had the upper hand against Fudomine before Kawamura's injury).
This was Prefecturals...
By Nationals, with no apparent improvement, they would have had to be crushed.
They couldn't even crush Jimmies.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Kenya who ran on water?
No. Neither was shown at their top speed. YOU have assumed this.
Doubt Richard is running across water.
Bold: Assumption.

Anyway though, I have no interest in continuing this if you ask for something, I show you something that could indicate it just to get "no that doesn't count because I don't think it is like that."

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Bold: Assumption.

Anyway though, I have no interest in continuing this if you ask for something, I show you something that could indicate it just to get "no that doesn't count because I don't think it is like that."
I think it's clear when somebody is moving at their top speed.
Moreover, its never been said that Kenya runs so fast you cannot see his legs.

So you could be implying that Richard Sakata is the fastest MSer if you want to go by the audience saying they cannot see his legs.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I think it's clear when somebody is moving at their top speed.
Moreover, its never been said that Kenya runs so fast you cannot see his legs.

So you could be implying that Richard Sakata is the fastest MSer if you want to go by the audience saying they cannot see his legs.
At least in the OVA's, Kenya is able to do a Blurry Dash.

Is it really important if Sakata is faster than Kamio? Kamio also has his moves + his determination + his aura (i don't think it only makes him faster)...

ashore

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey couple questions.

1)Kaoz will you reopen the threads for the tournament.. even if it has been decided for further discussion?
2) I think i saw chitose use Saiki in doubles, in teh POT2 movie. so that means you could use it in doubles.
3) Well echizen learned some new moves in POT movie 2, such as

Bio magnetism and Gemini Air
, would that be allowed in the tournament?

4) is POT2 movie canon?

according to New POT OVA 1, which takes place prior to the U-17 camp, the HIGA chu from okinawa, just arrived home,
and found out they are invited to the U--17, they mentioned.... They arrived home from ENgland, which is where the movie took place.

but i guess all the time lines aside, that would have to mean that schools from POT2 had to be invited to English Juniors tournament
before the u-17, which not sure puri pair 's timeline agrees with..

thoughts?

Last edited:

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hey couple questions.

1)Kaoz will you reopen the threads for the tournament.. even if it has been decided for further discussion?
2) I think i saw chitose use Saiki in doubles, in teh POT2 movie. so that means you could use it in doubles.
3) Well echizen learned some new moves in POT movie 2, such as Bio magnetism and Gemini Air, would that be allowed in the tournament?

4) is POT2 movie canon?

according to New POT OVA 1, which takes place prior to the U-17 camp, the HIGA chu from okinawa, just arrived home,
and found out they are invited to the U--17, they mentioned.... They arrived home from ENgland, which is where the movie took place.

but i guess all the time lines aside, that would have to mean that schools from POT2 had to be invited to English Juniors tournament
before the u-17, which not sure puri pair 's timeline agrees with..

thoughts?
1) I guess no lol.
2) It's in one OVA, where he and Tachibana play against Shiraishi / Kenya. Higa was watching them I remember, and after that match Hikaroba dyed his hair to look as cool as Tachibana lol. It's non canon.
3) no, since it's non canon.
4) no :3

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
Habu is a strong tech considering the innate teleport ability all the Higa guys start with. We can see that Fuji can return it after seeing it a couple of times but he usually end up having to lob the ball over. However since all the Higa guys can teleport, lobbing a shot leads to a guaranteed smash no matter how good the lob was. Habu uses a decent amount of energy (at least relative to Hirakoba's energy reserves) as we can assume his decision to use Giant Habu was because he was running low on endurance (though still made no sense). That said Kite seems to have no problem using Giant Habu so it might just be Hirakoba not having enough endurance.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
No. You're free to discuss anything in here until the end of the month though and afterwards on the main forum.

4) is POT2 movie canon?
Not from what we've been told so far.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
@Hardy,

Hirakoba and the rest of Higa dying their after being inspired by Tachibana is canon however.

It's in a special fan book called AnoPuri or SonoPuri. I've read a lot of them.
In them are short 1-2page things with many small panels showing us various things in the past.

For example there is one with Hara and Shiraishi One Year Prior, Higa regulars discussing their admiration for fellow Kyushu players WoK, one with Kirihara and Mukahi iirc and some others.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
@Hardy,

Hirakoba and the rest of Higa dying their after being inspired by Tachibana is canon however.

It's in a special fan book called AnoPuri or SonoPuri. I've read a lot of them.
In them are short 1-2page things with many small panels showing us various things in the past.

For example there is one with Hara and Shiraishi One Year Prior, Higa regulars discussing their admiration for fellow Kyushu players WoK, one with Kirihara and Mukahi iirc and some others.
Yes I know, I read it too! But the match between WoK and Shitenouji is not, I watched those OVA's thank to you BTW :)

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Yes I know, I read it too! But the match between WoK and Shitenouji is not, I watched those OVA's thank to you BTW :)
I'm glad you saw them.

The only OVA's that do not clash with the storyline are Seigaku+SHitenhoji training camp. (2 episodes)
Seigaku's freshman being scared after school,
That's about it...

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I'm glad you saw them.

The only OVA's that do not clash with the storyline are Seigaku+SHitenhoji training camp. (2 episodes)
Seigaku's freshman being scared after school,
That's about it...
I think I've watched every single Ova / Movie (even Atobe's Gift) except the one with Kirihara, Akutsu and Dan. I don't even know how is it called :/

Wait, Zaizen arrival to Shitenouji and Kirihara as a first year agaisnt the 3 demons OVAs are non canon?

Last edited:

ashore

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
well ova 3 shows mouri killing kenya... whic is mentioned in the manga, also that old doubles senpai from shitenhouji also appaerd in teh ova3

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I won't watch the OVA until it's dub. I kinda want to see that now, though. But I'll wait.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I think I've watched every single Ova / Movie (even Atobe's Gift) except the one with Kirihara, Akutsu and Dan. I don't even know how is it called :/

Wait, Zaizen arrival to Shitenouji and Kirihara as a first year agaisnt the 3 demons OVAs are non canon?
Zaizen and Kirihara's arrivals are canon to the sense that it happened.

However the non-canon moments are when Kirihara defeated those specific three senpai.
Since those specific three OB's are not from the manga.

Other non-canon parts are when he, Marui and Jackal are together. The databook states they went to the same Elementary school too. So they should have known each other.
Besides that, the whole Kirihara getting ass-kicked by Yuki, Sanada and Yanagi is true.
And it can be assumed that nobody benched Kirihara so Kirihara would have been part of the Nationals winning team.
Can't see any Rikkai regular getting benched.

In Zaizen' ep, it's different since it doesn't clash with the storyline at all. So whilst it didn't happen in the manga it doesn't harm anything you've watched so far.

New PoT OVA 3 looked awesome. But its not subbed so I only skimmed through it real quick.
There are a few clashes with the storylines in that one.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The bonus round has ended. The All Star team features:

Yukimura Seiichi as Singles 1,
Tachibana Kippei and Chitose Senri as Doubles 1, and
Yamato Yuudai as Singles 2.​

As announced before, this thread will stay open until the end of October, so make sure to say anything you want to say before the month is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.