Chapter - Shingeki no Kyojin 139 FINALE Chapter Discussion | Page 8 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Chapter Shingeki no Kyojin 139 FINALE Chapter Discussion

What do you think about the ending (you may change your vote later)?

• Total voters

Shad

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Well, I think her being swayed by Eren into agreeing with his plans without much difficulty does negate a bit of her character development. She looked miserable when she was pregnant like she was almost forced into doing it
Maybe she was miserable because she knew a lot of people are about to die? Or felt bad for eren same how Armin did at the end.

I actually wonder did eren erase historia memories as well, or was she the only one that always knew?

I can't remember historia plot, she feels so irrelevant in the last Arc.

Dziumbranakas

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
People nitpicking at straws are pretty funny to me.

This is going to be a long read, so bear with me, guys.

With the official translation, re-reading the ending, it's even better than previously thought, I'd give it a 9/10, because it is as AOT as one can get.

Historia's baby subplot and what actually happened to the titan powers are the only flawish point of the story, but everything else, was beutiful and poetic.

Especially the Levi's story comming to an end, Eren's paradoxal character and Mikasa doing what must be done, just like Eren did.

1. As Erwin said, the living are the ones who give the meaning to your death in the battlefield, the freedom of Paradis and humanity in general, one way or another, that was the meaning behind the death of the scouts.
Having done that, Levi now rests at peace, being content with what he and his comrades have done.
2. Eren being a boy with a childish dream at the first glance of freedom, striping his freedom away, choosing to either live in indifference to the world with his love, or doing what must be done in order to give his friends, comrades, his people a chance at life.
A man paying the price for the greater good for his close ones, that being his very soul, dreams and desires.
A man who values freedom as much as he did, a man who wanted to dream, a man who wanted to love, throwing it away for the sake of his friends.

That and being an omnipresent God sure did break him in half, a man with all the power in the world, being shackled by it, the only man with truly no freedom whatsoever.

The price for desire is so much greater than one can imagine.

3. Eren confessed everything to Mikasa, one way or another, Mikasa understanding the true intentions of Eren's actions and thoughts, giving her love the only gift which will give him rest - death. A man who has done such an horrific act, can not be forgiven, not by the others, but by himself.
There's one point most have missed, and that is that EREN WAS DEAD AS SOON AS HE KISSED HISTORIA'S HAND. He died from inside, knowing of the burden on his shoulders, not knowing what to truly do.

Right after the dream, she understood and gave him the blade, doing what must be done in the name of what is right, not what one wants, just as Ymir hadn't managed to do.

Ymir was bound by Fritz's will, she did it all for the love, even though she may knew he was wrong, she couldn't move on.

Eren and Mikasa were the ones who truly paid the most, as they paid with their souls..
Even now, behind a certain hapiness, just like with Eren, you can see she is dead inside.

MIKASA'S DREAMS

Eren, just like with Armin, used the Founder to transcend time in those dreams, and he lived his day's with Mikasa there, the only constilation he could have in that time.
Only that she is an Ackerman, she could have the glimpses of those dreams, unlike the others.
To be fair, that begs the question - were the Ackerman's truly out of the Founders reach..? I doubt it.

THE PATHS.

This is by far the most interesting topic for me, as it mimics the theory of quantum consciousness, body-mind dualism and the theory that the reality we live in being a wisp of the God's dream.

1. Every single "eldian" is a part of a bigger, hive mind consciousness, having the free will as long as the founder, the predecessor, one can say "allows" it.
Free will, for as long as the "founder" lives, is an illusion or a "gift", for as long as the Founder allows it.
The founder, almost as if, due to it lives and experiences everything they do.
2. Consciousness, as far the eldians, or should I say the Founder, go, is in a realm higher than this one, being connected by some unknown forces to this realm.
A life form which transcended time, where everything "is", which is truly unfathomable. Nothing happens, nothing happened, it always were, is and will be.
3. Consciousness existing outside of this "world". I don't think I need to explain anything further.

The reason why all of this is significant, because it mimics some of the religiousness in this world, as "God" is an entity experiencing "life" in every way imaginable, and consciousness being somewhere else outside of ones brain, brain being just an "antena" for it.
Everything is a part if this entity, just like everything, regarding eldians, is a part of the Founder in AOT
Just as the Bible said, God is in all men, not one nor a group of men.

THE EARTHLY SHACKLES IN THE PATH

Shackles, holding one down from acting, being made from the earth..

Another concept I really like in AOT due to how it symbolises our life, how people are being held by their earthly desires, thoughts, or dare I say...shackles?

Shingeki no Kyojin, for me, symbolises the cruelty of life, the complexity of human emotion, the price of everything, even nothingness, karma, the Order and Chaos dynamic, like no other.

To think that Isayama knew all of this ever since he began the story...?
Genius.

Equaling Heaven

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
@Dziumbranakas I like you.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Btw, Historia's baby being born during the moment Eren leave this world imho simbolyzes the transition of the end of the titan Era and start of the Eldian freedom. I don't see it as something without relevance.

Last edited:

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
People nitpicking at straws are pretty funny to me.

This is going to be a long read, so bear with me, guys.

With the official translation, re-reading the ending, it's even better than previously thought, I'd give it a 9/10, because it is as AOT as one can get.

Historia's baby subplot and what actually happened to the titan powers are the only flawish point of the story, but everything else, was beutiful and poetic.

Especially the Levi's story comming to an end, Eren's paradoxal character and Mikasa doing what must be done, just like Eren did.

1. As Erwin said, the living are the ones who give the meaning to your death in the battlefield, the freedom of Paradis and humanity in general, one way or another, that was the meaning behind the death of the scouts.
Having done that, Levi now rests at peace, being content with what he and his comrades have done.
2. Eren being a boy with a childish dream at the first glance of freedom, striping his freedom away, choosing to either live in indifference to the world with his love, or doing what must be done in order to give his friends, comrades, his people a chance at life.
A man paying the price for the greater good for his close ones, that being his very soul, dreams and desires.
A man who values freedom as much as he did, a man who wanted to dream, a man who wanted to love, throwing it away for the sake of his friends.

That and being an omnipresent God sure did break him in half, a man with all the power in the world, being shackled by it, the only man with truly no freedom whatsoever.

The price for desire is so much greater than one can imagine.

3. Eren confessed everything to Mikasa, one way or another, Mikasa understanding the true intentions of Eren's actions and thoughts, giving her love the only gift which will give him rest - death. A man who has done such an horrific act, can not be forgiven, not by the others, but by himself.
There's one point most have missed, and that is that EREN WAS DEAD AS SOON AS HE KISSED HISTORIA'S HAND. He died from inside, knowing of the burden on his shoulders, not knowing what to truly do.

Right after the dream, she understood and gave him the blade, doing what must be done in the name of what is right, not what one wants, just as Ymir hadn't managed to do.

Ymir was bound by Fritz's will, she did it all for the love, even though she may knew he was wrong, she couldn't move on.

Eren and Mikasa were the ones who truly paid the most, as they paid with their souls..
Even now, behind a certain hapiness, just like with Eren, you can see she is dead inside.

MIKASA'S DREAMS

Eren, just like with Armin, used the Founder to transcend time in those dreams, and he lived his day's with Mikasa there, the only constilation he could have in that time.
Only that she is an Ackerman, she could have the glimpses of those dreams, unlike the others.
To be fair, that begs the question - were the Ackerman's truly out of the Founders reach..? I doubt it.

THE PATHS.

This is by far the most interesting topic for me, as it mimics the theory of quantum consciousness, body-mind dualism and the theory that the reality we live in being a wisp of the God's dream.

1. Every single "eldian" is a part of a bigger, hive mind consciousness, having the free will as long as the founder, the predecessor, one can say "allows" it.
Free will, for as long as the "founder" lives, is an illusion or a "gift", for as long as the Founder allows it.
The founder, almost as if, due to it lives and experiences everything they do.
2. Consciousness, as far the eldians, or should I say the Founder, go, is in a realm higher than this one, being connected by some unknown forces to this realm.
A life form which transcended time, where everything "is", which is truly unfathomable. Nothing happens, nothing happened, it always were, is and will be.
3. Consciousness existing outside of this "world". I don't think I need to explain anything further.

The reason why all of this is significant, because it mimics some of the religiousness in this world, as "God" is an entity experiencing "life" in every way imaginable, and consciousness being somewhere else outside of ones brain, brain being just an "antena" for it.
Everything is a part if this entity, just like everything, regarding eldians, is a part of the Founder in AOT
Just as the Bible said, God is in all men, not one nor a group of men.

THE EARTHLY SHACKLES IN THE PATH

Shackles, holding one down from acting, being made from the earth..

Another concept I really like in AOT due to how it symbolises our life, how people are being held by their earthly desires, thoughts, or dare I say...shackles?

Shingeki no Kyojin, for me, symbolises the cruelty of life, the complexity of human emotion, the price of everything, even nothingness, karma, the Order and Chaos dynamic, like no other.

To think that Isayama knew all of this ever since he began the story...?
Genius.
@Dziumbranakas I like you.

Btw, Historia's baby being born during the moment Eren leave this world imho simbolyzes the transition of the end of the titan Eran and start of the Eldian freedom. I don't see it's as something without relevance.
Yeah, ty both for those posts. Am just done reading the official release...
I'm a sucker, I got so emotional... I so love this series and I loved its ending...

leiatte

Reaction score
Country
United States
it’s been a while since I posted here (I was most active around Kenny Ackerman & the battle for government I believe), I wanted to be apart of experiencing the final chapter as it came out! (Very long post btw)

I enjoyed the final chapter, it wasn’t perfect but few series endings are & I thought Isayama really got a lot out of this chapter & made me feel good about Attack on Titan ending. Also not everything being peaceful right away feels grounded to be honest

One thing with somewhat open endings, are that they tend to get better with time! The characters go on with their lives & it’s nice to have that feeling

I really only wish the chapter were longer or that this chapter were split into 2

Eren Memories: I really liked how Eren had personal time with Armin & the rest of the group, the way he used the Founding Titan’s ability for that was great! Also it was very calming for me to open the chapter with that, I agree with others it’s kind of weird seeing the group thank him for committing genocide especially when they were so willing to stop him but I think that that their appreciation comes from the place that someone cared about them so much that they were willing to go to such lengths.

Historia’s baby: I was curious about who the father was, I don’t mind it being open to interpretation though. It could just be the farmer

Armin: I like that he seems like he’s really grown into a leadership role & his confidence stepping up in this chapter was nice to see. I would’ve liked to see a bit more of his & Annie’s relationship in here.

Mikasa: I really like her final panel shots, I think that bird tugging on her scarf was poetic & very nice.

Overall I think it’s a great series & if not a masterpiece it’s masterful, Attack on Titan hooked me since I started reading it in 2012 & it’s been a rollercoaster. I didn’t always like where I thought the plot was going & sometimes I got confused but re-reading it recently just made me appreciate every part of the story Isayama added. I even appreciate Gabbi 🤣, I’m glad her & Falco are in the story. They along with Reiner, Zeke, & the whole 2nd half add so much dimension to this series. The series as a whole is a breath of fresh air

Thank you to all of you for making a community I feel like I can come in whenever, thank you to Attack on Titan! It’s been a great journey & I’m interested to read series discussions

Equaling Heaven

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I am very happy to see how everyone's feeling about the chapter after the official release. Gotta repeat that it really wasn't as bad as it sounded. Was it a bit cliche and unoriginal? Yes. But that's okay. I liked it more than I thought I would. In @leiatte 's words, it felt very grounded.

Midak

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Well, I think her being swayed by Eren into agreeing with his plans without much difficulty does negate a bit of her character development. She looked miserable when she was pregnant like she was almost forced into doing it
I do not think she had other realistic options though.
The impression I got was that she felt resigned and thus sad about it.

It is not that she could not decide by herself, at least, that is how I perceived it.
Still, we have never seen that chat fully, so it is debatable.

Estarossa173

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Overall, I think the ending was okay. Not the best, not the worst. I’m glad I read this series. Thank you, Isayama.

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
England
To those that aren't happy with the ending since they expected everyone to die or something else, don't worry those already happened in different time lines. Just try to visit Featherine and maybe she might turn you into her reader, showing you these stories with care, if she hasn't already put you into a loop just for her own enjoyment, of course.

Umineko reference aside, I do agree that the Historia baby 'bait' or whatever you want to call it is a slightly bit disappointing, but a story can never be 100/100 there is always something that has a flaw in it. Even so a few things shouldn't make the chapter or the series bad unless you consider it TPN or TG:RE lvl of bad, that's a different story. Also keep in mind that authors tend to change some parts of the stories, however, what matters is as long as the story stays consistent in a way or makes sense then these changes shouldn't really matter that much. Compared to some other shonens that already ended (TPN or TG for example) SNK is by far one of the better ones that kept most things connected or at least tried to connect it that it still made sense to us readers. It's Isayama's first manga he ever created also so having that in regard, for a first timer, he actually did very well.

Anyway, I think this was an alright/good conclusion to the series. There wasn't much to show nor to expect further from it so the ending seems kinda well to me. No happy ending or anything, just a bittersweet ending. Yeah, this seems quite fittable for the series.

Anepg

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I like the ending but just like a lot of manga endings I always think it's rushed but I'm used to it by now.
I feel like most people don't like some things in the ending bc they didn't pick the hints tbh.
I started the manga in 2013 and stopped some years but everytime I came back I just remembered how I loved snk and to think it's over.. Feeling kinda empty.

desin24

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Austria
oof, haven't commented here in a while. Mostly just checked in to see the vibe "the people" have but I'm not usually a fan of voicing my complaints with the way a story goes as my hype dies down. Can't say I'm happy with the ending but that became very improbable based on the last 5-10 chapters anyway. I honestly hoped for a second that when the Marleyans were pointing their guns at the Eldians we would get a tragic ending. After seeing the Rumbling the remaining people would be too scared to let them live and just wipe them out. Unfortunately, we just have forgiveness but not really, unless the Main Characters succeed which they will.

Anybody have the letter Isayama wrote at the end of the chapter to all the readers translated? As for my rating on the ending, I give it a 7-7.5 out of 10. Could have been better tbh but hey that’s Attack on Titan for you, a manga filled with tragedy. Best regards Isayama, looking forward to whatever your next work is. Who knows we may get some kind of a sequel in the foreseeable future.
I think Yonkou posted the letter from the editorial department but not from Isayama (yet)

Equaling Heaven

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Trying to convey my feelings about the ending but I just can't express it. I just feel it.
I keep reading it, looking for the pages which Eren references to and the more I do, the more I like it.

Dziumbranakas

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Trying to convey my feelings about the ending but I just can't express it. I just feel it.
I keep reading it, looking for the pages which Eren references to and the more I do, the more I like it.

The same is with me, can't fully grasp nor explain everything in detail even till now, the only thing which is left is to re-read the story.

If I wasn't around someone else when I read it initially, I would of cried, because once again, it is as AOT of an ending as it could of been - bitter sweet, tragic yet kinda "happy", one way or another.

I don't think anyone who still hasn't experienced life can understand what AOT has portrayed, which is actually, considering the platform being used, mesmerising.

I haven't read a fictional story which portrays the complexity, brutality and beauty of life as AOT did.

All I can do is nod to Isayama for creating this masterpiece.

SonOfDaws

Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
I just read the full translated release of the SnK's final chapter.

There's still more I want to do an in-depth analysis of either written here and maybe a video or two at some later date, but I'll that and my more detailed thoughts late. Even with the series ending, I have a feeling I'm going to keep finding more and more to dig into for a while anyhow.

This series has its flaws, but I can see and feel the love put into this work. I love Attack on Titan, am glad it's over, and I'm grateful.

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Whelp I now have a new contender for weakest-sauce ending. It's a tie between Bleach and SnK.

Prxnce

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ughhhh I dont know. I hate this but I'm content with it. The time loop theory was so good, though! I can't measure this up to it at all cause it doesn't.

Its like the same awkward way Gantz ended but its not like it was a disaster either hmmm... maybe I'm upset, I sang so my praises for this manga you'd think I was Dino Spumoni.

Isayama-san you got tired huh? I bet you went straight to sleep after writing this chapter just like Eren. 11 years 8 months was my time dedicated to SnK. Thank you, have a good rest.

Dziumbranakas

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Ughhhh I dont know. I hate this but I'm content with it. The time loop theory was so good, though! I can't measure this up to it at all cause it doesn't.

Its like the same awkward way Gantz ended but its not like it was a disaster either hmmm... maybe I'm upset, I sang so my praises for this manga you'd think I was Dino Spumoni.

Isayama-san you got tired huh? I bet you went straight to sleep after writing this chapter just like Eren. 11 years 8 months was my time dedicated to SnK. Thank you, have a good rest.
In no way shape or form is this comparable to Gantz whatsoever.

Gantz ending was cliche, AoT wasn't, it was as AoT as it could of been, though, with a few mistakes, but nowhere close to what Gantz delivered.
I can't fathom how many people don't understand what AoT is about.

As for the "time loop", this is what actually happened, one way or another, Mikasa's headache dream right before she kapoo'ed Eren, Eren's talk with everyone simultaneously and Eren's speach about "not knowing what to do" comfirm it.
Either through the dream world, or the real world.
If the Path world is above time, in theory, Eren could have ran every scenario simultaneously, until he found the "right one", that "right one" being the best outcome, or so he deemed.
If he did so, it would explain why he was so dead inside ever since he kissed Historia's hand, and why he wanted death, as not only it being the probably only way to end the Titan curse, but to end his missery. He was never a character to uneccesarry kill civilians, so for him to bring such wrath upon those who did no wrong, must have been soul crushing.
Why he said to Reiner that he was also a piece of shit.

Whelp I now have a new contender for weakest-sauce ending. It's a tie between Bleach and SnK.
Guys like this couldn't see good writing even if one showed it up their badonker.

How was this weak?

Elaborate.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So if I am understanding this right eren at some point, not sure of when, used his titan powers to communicate with his friends, tell them everything, and then erased their memory. So that when the path eren took came to an end they'd remember. And if I am understanding this... it means eren also had a talk with mikasa. Which we didn't see. You'd think that would be as important, if not more, than the final bit we saw between eren and armin.

Another thing: This is nowhere near a happy ending. Eren still annihilated 80% of humanity. Potentially billions to save the 250% people in his shitty island. Eren was still the bad guy here through and through and him accomplishing his goals made the world a worst place. A corpse and disease cesspool.. While not a happy ending for the gang we should have been rooting for it humanity would have been better of if it simply buster called paradise.

In any case, rest in pieces Shingeki no Kyojin, you won't be missed. I hope that from whichever pit in hell you end up you look up and have a clear view of FT's ending.