Chapter Shokugeki no Soma Chapter 303 Discussion/304 Predictions

Franckie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Another complete and utter waste of a chapter. We already know Asahi can stomp any chef he wants as demonstrated with Jouchirou and Eishi. There was no need to have him stomp Megumi, especially without the match resulting in some type of plot development. Honestly, if you wanted pairing shenanigans it would have made more sense to have a character like Eishi demonstrate interest in Erina rather than a Gary Stu villain who appeared out of nowhere.

It never ceases to amaze me with how far the quality of this series has fallen. No one is happy. I've tried rereading the chapters in sequence and even that doesn't help lessen the blunt of the sharp quality decrease. Even the pairing fanatics have mixed feelings on the current arc because (1) it's blown Erina's character development out of the water and (2) reduced her to a damsel in distress that needs saving. Again. What's next? Asahi murdered Souma's mother with bad food?! After all, Souma has seen him before... somewhere! Stay tuned to find out with next week's crappy chapter!

We're definitely at the endgame here. I'd give the series a good 20-30 chapters before it's finished. We'll soon get to the final matches, some backstory between Jouchirou and Souma's unnamed mother, and lastly a timeskip for the grand finale.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Another complete and utter waste of a chapter. We already know Asahi can stomp any chef he wants as demonstrated with Jouchirou and Eishi. There was no need to have him stomp Megumi, especially without the match resulting in some type of plot development. Honestly, if you wanted pairing shenanigans it would have made more sense to have a character like Eishi demonstrate interest in Erina rather than a Gary Stu villain who appeared out of nowhere.

It never ceases to amaze me with how far the quality of this series has fallen. No one is happy. I've tried rereading the chapters in sequence and even that doesn't help lessen the blunt of the sharp quality decrease. Even the pairing fanatics have mixed feelings on the current arc because (1) it's blown Erina's character development out of the water and (2) reduced her to a damsel in distress that needs saving. Again. What's next? Asahi murdered Souma's mother with bad food?! After all, Souma has seen him before... somewhere! Stay tuned to find out with next week's crappy chapter!

We're definitely at the endgame here. I'd give the series a good 20-30 chapters before it's finished. We'll soon get to the final matches, some backstory between Jouchirou and Souma's unnamed mother, and lastly a timeskip for the grand finale.
There was no indication that Megumi had to pay for this lost, which she should have.

That’s why I am hoping (fruitlessly) that author later reveals that Megumi is now Asahi’s subordinate, even if temporarily.

(Personally I hope it’s permanent)

Chingaruna517

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh My Goodness, this is even more depressing chapter that I anticipating. Nonetheless, however, lets dig into the review to taste the bitterness, shall?

Previously on Shokugeki no Soma
To protect her friend named Erina from the vicious fiend named Asahi, Megumi declared a Shokugeki against the Knife Leech King which the latter agreed if she managed to beat his last lieutenant. Luckily for her, she manage to defeat one of the lieutenants to face Asahi in the match, but unfortunately she was also have to confront Asahi who was about to unleash hell and despair to her! What were the chances for Megumi to avoid her worst humiliation in

CHAPTER 303: HAS ANYBODY FORGET SOMEONE?!
  1. So the manga begins with Asahi begins to get "serious" by combining his own skills of the fallen chef by further extending their "true potentials", with his defeated lieutenants acting as his cheerleaders. Anyway, the theme is shown as cheap meat and its surprisingly acting as an advantage for Megumi! Sound like a good start for Megumi, right? Well, hate to be a downer because Asahi is about to do his thing with his "Cross Knife" or whatever "power"....and his face look too nightmarish for us to see, as if he is enjoying killing something for leisure. Something tells me that he is out of his mind and I don't think I like where this is going...
  2. Anyway, food judgement time and the judges find Asahi beef to be...delicious?! Huh? And the secret of that is...using the combination of knifes to...UPGRADE THE DISH'S GRADE?! What the....?! Even more insulting is that while his dish is under judgement, Asahi gloats that he has a power that enables him to cook everything without even training it. (beat for 5 seconds) WHAT?! I can't...I just....HOW, MANGA, HOW?! That makes him having a power breaking abilities in this mangaverse! None of this make any sense?! If he has such "ability", then what's the point for him to even learned under Saiba in the first place?! It's like a gamer using cheat codes to actually pass the game level! Anyway, Megumi is next to showcase her own dish and unfortunately, not even her best effort enables her to beat Asahi, thus her elimination from the tournament?! I just calls this a screwjob because there is no way for Asahi using his cooking skill transform what seemly a cheap dish into something luxurious. Again, HOW MANGA HOW?! Hey, at least she was able to defeat 2 Noirs chef by her own and her knife is still safe, right?
  3. Anyway, this yet another screwjob makes everybody panic as they all assume that fighting Asahi means fight against all the chefs. Is that an exaggeration, fools? However, instead of taking Megumi's knife, Asahi loudly shout at the screen (which Mana is watching) and declares himself as a unstoppable force by using his "super power" (you know, I had enough of this power crap that doesn't even defy anything in cooking) to humiliate (yes, humiliate, not defeat) Megumi. Oi, joker! Don't assume that your "power" will ensure you have everything in the world! Also, Chihuahua, its useless to stop his because he is already on cloud 9 because of his gloating, and your boss can't even respect herself much less keeping her authority. Come to think of it, question to Asahi: have you already forgotten someone?
  4. So how Mana the crippled Book Dork response to this "declaration"? By granting Asahi's wish without even question his motive and further anticipating his next show! Congratulations, you crippled idiot! Making BLUE as one of the worst event is one thing, and now you willing the sell your own baby girl out simply because of your stupid past depression?! Somebody, anybody, SLAP THIS WITCH TO KINGDOM COME! I don't care if she is crippled boss who oversee the prestigious organization or her despair because of her said handicapped body! She really to see what the heck is really going on no thanks to her strings of stupid decisions that only make the situation even worse! If she let her self-loathe for the God Tongue goes one, she will doom everyone! Same question to Mana, have you also missed someone else who also participating BLUE?
  5. Speaking of Erina, she still as "serious" ever while confronting Asahi until the former is shocked to learn the latter knows everything about her issue with her mother. Hey, that's privacy invasion! How dare you poke at someone's business like that without any permission?! Hang on, how did you know about the Nakiri Household....OK, WGO Bookmen. which one of you suckers snitched to Asahi about the Nakiri Affairs, huh?! It is supposed to be secret and now he blow it up like a trumpet!
  6. Naturally, Erina refuses to believe this crappy news and vows to win the BLUE...only to hear more of Asahi's mockery of him spilling the beans about Mana's broken state just to add a sweet despair onto the icing on the cake! For a guy who has "superior power", this is way too low! To add things even more depressing, he dares her to show anybody in the BLUE still willing to take a shot at him, the invincible chef, all the while the bystanders panicked to no end by the jackass's gloat. Terrific, everyone (Book Dork included) is so dumb that they fell for Asahi's gloating as if its the end of the world, and Erina herself is so broken to the point she is almost forfeit her path for the finals. I wonder if anybody still remember that somebody is still in the tournament? Speaking of you-know-who...
  7. Somebody raises his cooking hand as his disagreement that shocked even Asahi, and who else would it be other than the Yukihira Genius?That's right folks, whether you like it or not, Soma Yukihira, the last "Light Chef", the True Legacy of Asura, True Savior of the Cooking World, is our last hope to see Asahi's downfall but we have to wait until next week to find out why Soma's rebuttal against Asahi's malicious gloating plays a crucial role to his chances even if it meats 1%. That being said, what word will Soma say that will shock even both Asahi and Mana in BLUE? And even if he is the only hope to see the fall of the Knife Leech King, what are the chances for our Red-Hair Chef to actually surpassing him? Can't Asahi even take Soma seriously after the latter makes his shocking speech? Find out next time on Shokugeki no Soma!

Last edited:

yukihira

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

With almost the entire starter roster gone), leaving only 2 boring characters left, and we're now reaching the highest hype point of the arc. I don't know if Tsukuda is trying to sell it knowing it's bad or he genuinely believes this arc is fantastic.....

Last edited:

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland

With almost the entire starter roster gone), leaving only 2 boring characters left, and we're now reaching the highest hype point of the arc. I don't know if Tsukuda is trying to sell it knowing it's bad or he genuinely believes this arc is fantastic.....
Gotta give him credit,self optimism does come a long road as well. :verily

Brief Next Chapter prediction:
  • Souma and Asahi have a short argument.
  • Asahi announces that Souma is a nobody and can't beat him,Erina is his,Mana's respect is his,he can go home and talk to his no Good Daddy.
  • Souma gets triggered,announces if anybody gets Erina(Her Tongue) it's him,Mana's first meal in ages will be served to her by him as well. He'll save Erina's World and Family.
  • Maybe a brief talk between Erina and Souma.
  • Semi Final Match No.2: Erina Nakiri vs Souma Yukihira,the Winner advances to finals and faces Saiba Asahi for the Crown of the World's No.1 Chef(Under 35!) And perhaps the privilege of being Erina's future husbando.
  • Chapter finishes with the 2 entering the Arena,announcing that whoever wins has to beat Asahi. Egging on the other one,but in friendly terms.
Unpredictable Variable:
  • Megumi

Last edited:

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Gotta give him credit,self optimism does come a long road as well. :verily

Brief Next Chapter prediction:
  • Souma and Asahi have a short argument.
  • Asahi announces that Souma is a nobody and can't beat him,Erina is his,Mana's respect is his,he can go home and talk to his no Good Daddy.
  • Souma gets triggered,announces if anybody gets Erina(Her Tongue) it's him,Mana's first meal in ages will be served to her by him as well. He'll save Erina's World and Family.
  • Maybe a brief talk between Erina and Souma.
  • Semi Final Match No.2: Erina Nakiri vs Souma Yukihira,the Winner advances to finals and faces Saiba Asahi for the Crown of the World's No.1 Chef(Under 35!) And perhaps the privilege of being Erina's future husbando.
  • Chapter finishes with the 2 entering the Arena,announcing that whoever wins has to beat Asahi. Egging on the other one,but in friendly terms.
Unpredictable Variable:
  • Megumi
Oh, are partially buying the theory that Megumi will be forced to be Asahi's sous chef?

Chingaruna517

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well that was a crappy, unsatisfying chapter. I really wanted Megumi to lay down the law and bring an end to this shitty story line.
OK, I know that everybody-including myself-is already cringed about what happened to our poor Megumi for being badly beaten by the overpowered douche, who happens to have the "story breaking" ability, there's no reason for us to focus on the past tense. Right now, we need to deal with Asahi's overrated ego and who can stop him other than Soma the last beacon of light for the cooking world?

I dunno about this entire BLUE Arc's peak shtick but it'd better be good because this long-running shenanigans involving Asahi must end now! Anyhow, here is my personal prediction for the following chapter if not

Our red-haired chef, you know, the last "Light Chef" who is still in the tournament, argues with Asahi in regards of his disagreement about the latter's statement as the most invincible chef in the world. Naturally, Knife Leech King still belittled his supposed rival as a mere "small fry" (even though he himself forgot that he is still in the tournament because, technically, that very "small fry" has beaten 2 of his top Noir Lieutenants: One was a Solo Match while the other one was Tag-Team Match) while claiming that he is about to have everything in world and not even this shrimp will stop him. Soma, who isn't exactly impressed by his would opponent's threats and belittlement, claiming Asahi's selfish goal as boring because he makes cooking not fun anymore because of his stupidly overpowered ability (if you really call that) and whilst he is absolutely clueless about Asahi's entire beef with him he dismisses the Knife Leech King as a chef because he claims that the latter's aforementioned overpowered ability doesn't reflects him of the chef's dignity, heart and especially the willpower. Needless to say, like aforementioned above by @Seraph, Asahi immediatyely mocks Soma by insulting Saiba (ironically his surrogate daddy) as a loser which obviously angers our hero. Soma instead keeping his cool whilst retort back to Asahi that whilst he admit that he is not a cooking savior (borrowed from Goku's MUI quotes) and his participation in BLUE isn't because of Nakiri household issues, he has a pride as chef and he made a promise to his dad that he will personally shutdown the Yukihira Diner if he loses in BLUE, stunning both Erina and even Asahi. Now, Erina's shock is understandable because this means also hurting Saiba but Asahi is unexpectedly shock because as much as he wanted to see Soma gone in the tournament for good, he failed to even guess what was Soma's mind tothink for saying such words like sacrifice....

Elsewhere, Mana also hear about Soma via Anne but initially dismiss the guy because she didn't know who he is. Yes, this the thing: I'd take that back about Mana is "interested" about Soma from few chapters back because she ddidn't focused onto him. However, since Soma is next to face Erina next in one match, she will be looking forward to see his performance next and witness what was the (still unrecognized) underdog is made of especially after him crushing 2 top generals...

Last edited:

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland

Astronomy_Fanatic

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Yep. This is the most hilarious statement I ever read nowadays coming from his mouth. :D

Last edited:

Chingaruna517

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, are partially buying the theory that Megumi will be forced to be Asahi's sous chef?
Why would Asahi even need a sous chef when he has his story breaker ability that enable him to do literary and figuratively anything? Unless, he want to manipulate somebody....

I don't know yet,that's why i said she's unpredictable at the moment,still have this necessary talk with Erina left for her or perhaps a turn over to Asahi.
Not sure the would-be outcome but I am sincerely hope that its the former over the latter? Why? Well, in my personal view, that's probably because Soma may going to tell Erina that there is somebody is still value their friendship even if the God Tongue doesn't even care, and he certainly making sure that Megumi's humiliation shall not be wasted.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Why would Asahi even need a sous chef when he has his story breaker ability that enable him to do literary and figuratively anything? Unless, he want to manipulate somebody....

Not sure the would-be outcome but I am sincerely hope that its the former over the latter? Why? Well, in my personal view, that's probably because Soma may going to tell Erina that there is somebody is still value their friendship even if the God Tongue doesn't even care, and he certainly making sure that Megumi's humiliation shall not be wasted.
Megumi lost a Shokugeki, which means she owes something.

Forcing her to join his side means he can take both Erina and her if he wins.

Chingaruna517

Reaction score
Country
United States
Megumi lost a Shokugeki, which means she owes something.

Forcing her to join his side means he can take both Erina and her if he wins.
True but Asahi himself didn't tell Megumi about his own stipulation/wages in order for him to accept Megumi's challenge. The douche once belittled Megumi's Shokugeki challenge, remember? All he told was that he only accept Megumi's Shokugeki if she defeated one of his loyal subordinate, which she did, not to mention right after his humiliating victory over poor Megumi, he immediately focus on Erina instead. Also, why on Zeno Multiverse does Asahi even need Megumi considering all he ever wanted was only Erina?

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
True but Asahi himself didn't tell Megumi about his own stipulation/wages in order for him to accept Megumi's challenge. The douche once belittled Megumi's Shokugeki challenge, remember? All he told was that he only accept Megumi's Shokugeki if she defeated one of his loyal subordinate, which she did, not to mention right after his humiliating victory over poor Megumi, he immediately focus on Erina instead. Also, why on Zeno Multiverse does Asahi even need Megumi considering all he ever wanted was only Erina?
Same reason he needs all those knives: To better himself.

Also it would force her to help him win Erina, something she doesn't want.

Invel > Zeref

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Same reason he needs all those knives: To better himself.

Also it would force her to help him win Erina, something she doesn't want.
But why wouldn't Megumi just sabotage him and ruin his dish? There is no way that Megumi would ever help Asahi win Erina even if she was forced to be his sous chef (which wasn't part of any agreement or bet). I hate to say this but it seems like Megumi's sole purpose in this arc was to react to other character's developments and plot developments because her purpose in this arc sure as hell wasn't to actually show her cooking.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
But why wouldn't Megumi just sabotage him and ruin his dish? There is no way that Megumi would ever help Asahi win Erina even if she was forced to be his sous chef (which wasn't part of any agreement or bet). I hate to say this but it seems like Megumi's sole purpose in this arc was to react to other character's developments and plot developments because her purpose in this arc sure as hell wasn't to actually show her cooking.
Because Megumi isn’t the type to do that.

She’s also respectful of Shokugeki conditions, regardless how much it hurts her.

Just because it wasn’t in 302 doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

Invel > Zeref

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Because Megumi isn’t the type to do that.

She’s also respectful of Shokugeki conditions, regardless how much it hurts her.
I disagree. I can't imagine Megumi ever putting effort into helping Asahi win a match that would mean Erina losing her freedom. She has no moral obligation to help Asahi over Erina. The life of her friends take priority over shokugeki conditions and agreeing to be his sous chef (if she does do that) isn't the same thing as agreeing to actually help him win.

dvtclock

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Seriously you guys need to stop put high expectation on the idea the author will give some key spot on Megumi, I'm already stop since azami arc