Chapter Shokugeki no Soma Chapter 311 Spoilers and Discussion

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Well, that was a great guess for anyone predicting that Sōma mom was a terrible chef

xNierx

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
Who would say that Tamako not so good cook was a pleasant surprise and something unexpected at least for me, now we understand why Soma has that iron will that he inherited from his mother? In fact, almost all of his personality is the image of his mother.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Well, now we have an idea what Soma would like if he was a girl.

It seems his eyes and hair colored are derived from his dad, everything else he got from mom.

inb4 he grows his hair out to the same length.

Chingaruna517

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, guess what? Part of my prediction comes true that Mama Yukihira's...sorry, Tamako's cooking outside the fried rice sucked despite being the owner of restaurant. It seems the mother love and taste of failure themselves are the great factor for the fried rice and it will begins on my birthday! Best. birthday gift. ever! Sorry, I am getting ahead of myself here, shall we begin the preview review?
  1. The manga proceed with Mana, after hearing Soma's mention of a memory of his late mom, eventually going to eat the dish and yes, she is stunned when she eat the dish. Well, the persuasion is awfully quick, considering Mana's favoritism over Noir throughout the BLUE and used every tactic to screw Erina in every way. So what makes her changes her mind? A failure of the motherhood?
  2. Anyway, Mana's reaction to the dish stuns literary everyone especially the Noirs who are never expect such outcome since the Fried Rice lost to the Pie in terms of scent. This prompts Asahi to keep guessing the secret behind such fired rice since the rice doesn't seemed have any scent at all while Sergeant Swine is surprised to see Soma's fearlessness to make such risky bet that could've screwed Funny, because it seems nobody including the Noir (y'know, the one who thought they got the info about Mana before the BLUE through spying?) bothered to even remember that Mana can't smell anything because of her nose as the result of her illness. Also, Sarge, what did you say about Soma's knife as weak against Asahi's Cross Knives? Comes to think of it, what inspired Soma to make such dish?
  3. Well, the reason for such idea was because his mom was actually sucked in cooking. Gee, who would ever thought about that? Moving on, we dive into the flashback of Mama Yukihira who also known as Tamako 10 years ago. Tamako, despite being the daughter of the owner of the diner that was Yukihira Diner, was a terrible chef but it was her optimistic personality made her a beloved figure of the neighborhood. One of signature dish was fried rice which she seemed only good at and Saiba was the one who cleaned Tamako's mess but seemly respected Tamako's idea that nobody ever anticipated or even comprehend. This also amazed her baby boy Soma since she cooked the dish without give any f***s about failure or even success...and that's it. Why, this is short. It would've/could've been intriguing if the backstory telling us more about Tamako, like how she revived Saiba's passion cooking and how she met her demise. Also, this is what makes Tamako a better foil to Mana and even Asahi's mother considering she is doing her best despite her flaws, unlike the crippled fool who gave up to despair to easily or an abusive jerk who blamed her own kid for her misfortune...
  4. Back to the present, we seemly get the lecture from Soma to the undoubtedly disbelief Asahi: The Knife Leech King can cook anything he wants with his Cross Knife, but as long he never experienced even one failure he will never make a dish even more amazing like the fried rice he cooked. Of course, Asahi, still rejecting the fact that he is humbled by the fried rice, scoffs the experience of failure off as rubbish because to him, the "strongest chef" who has beaten his surrogate father that is named Saiba, he doesn't even need to know such thing. Yeah, considering that he always thinks the Cross Knife is a guarantee win, its a no wonder why he never lost...until now. Also, not throwing tantrum while keeping the cool, eh Asahi? You did noticed something was off about the fried rice last chapter ago, ya? Not to mention the rice's lack of scent seems perfect for the Dork's weaken nose? Already told you multiple times not to celebrate your victory too early and now your streak is about to be broken! Want to taste the dish to prove the point?
  5. Then comes Mana's blessing but this time it is unique and something is missing from even Asahi's pie. Needless to say, this is going to be the heartwarming one and, more importantly, (seemly) further solidifying Asahi;s lost. Would this be enough? Will that reminds Mana of her forgotten motherhood?

Last edited:

Caribbeans

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
US Virgin Islands
So Tamako was a tomboy like girl going base on her design/appearance. Kinda makes sense lol especially for Jou I felt like a strong willed girl might put him in check I would think

wait, she is 28 years old, how old is she older than jou?
Well we dont know when Tamako died she might have died at 28 who knows. I believe she is older then Jou, he right now is in his mid 30s? i think and I would think soma was probably like 8-9 when Tamako died

Marco Polo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So Tamako was a tomboy like girl going base on her design/appearance. Kinda makes sense lol especially for Jou I felt like a strong willed girl might put him in check I would think

Well we dont know when Tamako died she might have died at 28 who knows. I believe she is older then Jou, he right now is in his mid 30s? i think and I would think soma was probably like 8-9 when Tamako died
Wiki says Joichiro is 38 so I think they'd be a similar age? Unless the picture of Tamako we get in the spoilers is before Soma's born, in which case she's at least 5 years older than Jou (who was 23 when Soma was born)

EDIT: Based on what the spoilers are saying about the rice dish being inspired from something ten years ago, Tamako is the same age as Jou, or potentially one year younger based on how much time has passed over the course of the story. So if she was 28 ten years ago, she'd be 38 today - Jou is 38 according to Wiki but roughly a year's passed so he might be 39 now?

Chingaruna517

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, this is the woman who brought Jou's mojo back on track while revived the legend's passion for cooking, after all. While I am not question how she met the legend before Soma's birth or whatever happened led to her demise before the story, I may accept the fact that she is Yin to Saiba's Yang since the former is not a good cook but refused to back down and keep her optimism high.

I think the better question should be what of others' (such as the Nakiris, Soma's supporters and even the Noirs) response when they hear about Tamako's story? Since she is a prefect foil to Mana and even Asahi's abusive mom in terms of raising their kids and personality, dare I say that everyone especially Erina feel envy for Soma to have a good mom who raised her precious baby well. Mana would probably rethinking about her own motherhood while Asahi...you gonna use some imagination to wonder what if his mom was never an alcoholic maniac...

Come to think about it, my theory says that this is also probably why the Yukihira Genius is mad at Erina. Hear me out: Soma was fed up to Erina's family woes due to the fact that Erina's insecurities was a product to her parents problems: Azami's drunk for power and especially Mana's despair over her broken body, the latter of which was the root of the problem. Think about it, with Tamako's personality that is similar to Soma's but different than Mana's, I think the comparison between the 2 moms cannot be more obvious: Whilst Mana was a former ace who gave up easily when her illness got the better of her to the point tearing her family apart, Tamako, on the hand, in spite of her not being a good chef, refuses to give in and keep on looking at the future with high optimism and happiness.

Since the Dork herself is going to eat the dish regardless, perhaps Tamako's story prompts Mana to change her mind and gives Soma's Fried Rice a shot? After all, she is one of the powerful figure of the prestigious group and surely she will not jeopardize her position by disrespecting the passing, no?

Aniokku

Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Well, this is the woman who brought Jou's mojo back on track while revived the legend's passion for cooking, after all. While I am not question how she met the legend before Soma's birth or whatever happened led to her demise before the story, I may accept the fact that she is Yin to Saiba's Yang since the former is not a good cook but refused to back down and keep her optimism high.

I think the better question should be what of others' (such as the Nakiris, Soma's supporters and even the Noirs) response when they hear about Tamako's story? Since she is a prefect foil to Mana and even Asahi's abusive mom in terms of raising their kids and personality, dare I say that everyone especially Erina feel envy for Soma to have a good mom who raised her precious baby well. Mana would probably rethinking about her own motherhood while Asahi...you gonna use some imagination to wonder what if his mom was never an alcoholic maniac...

Come to think about it, my theory says that this is also probably why the Yukihira Genius is mad at Erina. Hear me out: Soma was fed up to Erina's family woes due to the fact that Erina's insecurities was a product to her parents problems: Azami's drunk for power and especially Mana's despair over her broken body, the latter of which was the root of the problem. Think about it, with Tamako's personality that is similar to Soma's but different than Mana's, I think the comparison between the 2 moms cannot be more obvious: Whilst Mana was a former ace who gave up easily when her illness got the better of her to the point tearing her family apart, Tamako, on the hand, in spite of her not being a good chef, refuses to give in and keep on looking at the future with high optimism and happiness.

Since the Dork herself is going to eat the dish regardless, perhaps Tamako's story prompts Mana to change her mind and gives Soma's Fried Rice a shot? After all, she is one of the powerful figure of the prestigious group and surely she will not jeopardize her position by disrespecting the passing, no?
mm .. I agree with you on the aspects about Tamako with regard to Mana and the mother of Asahi. But what souma is tired of Erina's family problems? theoretically this would be the only family problem that affects it and does not even affect it directly. I explain myself in the central arch. It affected Souma directly because Azami was trying to destroy the culinary world that destroyed his father Jou. At the beginning of this if that was affecting only Erina. but after Azami revealed his plan. This affected Souma not because of Erina but because of his father and his restaurant. since the Yukihira dining room was going to close if central was with power. and in this arc it affects it indirectly. Souma does not need to save Mana. Souma is not affected by Mana's condition or change his goal (Remember Souma's current goal is to win the BLUE to fulfill his father's promise that if he wins the BLUE he will take over the Yukihira dining room) if he is upset with Erina, but not because of her family problem. if not because we remember that the relationship of Souma and Erina was growing. before Erina was kidnapped Souma and Erina had promised to stick together forward one believing in the other. but then Erina tells Souma that she does not trust him and that she does not trust herself either. obvious this would annoy anyone. I do not think Souma is fed up with Erina's family problems. Souma bothers Erina. his lack of confidence in her, in him. that's what bothers him

Chingaruna517

Reaction score
Country
United States
mm .. I agree with you on the aspects about Tamako with regard to Mana and the mother of Asahi. But what souma is tired of Erina's family problems? theoretically this would be the only family problem that affects it and does not even affect it directly. I explain myself in the central arch. It affected Souma directly because Azami was trying to destroy the culinary world that destroyed his father Jou. At the beginning of this if that was affecting only Erina. but after Azami revealed his plan. This affected Souma not because of Erina but because of his father and his restaurant. since the Yukihira dining room was going to close if central was with power. and in this arc it affects it indirectly. Souma does not need to save Mana. Souma is not affected by Mana's condition or change his goal (Remember Souma's current goal is to win the BLUE to fulfill his father's promise that if he wins the BLUE he will take over the Yukihira dining room) if he is upset with Erina, but not because of her family problem. if not because we remember that the relationship of Souma and Erina was growing. before Erina was kidnapped Souma and Erina had promised to stick together forward one believing in the other. but then Erina tells Souma that she does not trust him and that she does not trust herself either. obvious this would annoy anyone. I do not think Souma is fed up with Erina's family problems. Souma bothers Erina. his lack of confidence in her, in him. that's what bothers him
About of Central Arc, I know that our Red-Haired Hero was affected by the Central Arc and the very reason why he has his beef against Azami was because not just Erina but the possible shut down of Restaurant Yukihira both he and Saiba treasured so much, if the Central succeeded of course. Keep in mind though that the home diner itself was originally belonged the Yukihiras especially Tamako's which was the reason why Jou issued the RDC against Team Central in order preserve the legacy his waifu gave to him and his boy.

It is true that Erina's lost of trust for Soma was the reason why the latter walked away and wanted nothing to do with more of Nakiri's bizarre problems, not to mention his oath to his daddy dearest that he will give up managing the Restaurant Yukihira if he lost in BLUE-even though he himself has no intention of serving under the Book Dork as her personal chef. However, with Mana is introduced as to root of Erina's woes as well as Tamako's debut as a flashback character for father-and-son that gave them motivation to move on, I can't helped myself but to make some comparison between the 2 and its kinda relevant with each other. Now, don't get me wrong about Soma's intention of saving the Nakiri Family because he has no intention to, but seeing the mothers appearance only make me to think more specially the obvious contrast between the 2. Keep in mind that in the last chapter, Mana doesn't seemed to even bother to try Soma's 5 World Fried Rice in spite the latter asks her to taste the dish. In the spoiler, however, it seems Soma's words about his memory with his mommy dearest before her demise seemly change Mana's mind and decide to give it a try. Note something off?

Aniokku

Reaction score
Country
Colombia
About of Central Arc, I know that our Red-Haired Hero was affected by the Central Arc and the very reason why he has his beef against Azami was because not just Erina but the possible shut down of Restaurant Yukihira both he and Saiba treasured so much, if the Central succeeded of course. Keep in mind though that the home diner itself was originally belonged the Yukihiras especially Tamako's which was the reason why Jou issued the RDC against Team Central in order preserve the legacy his waifu gave to him and his boy.

It is true that Erina's lost of trust for Soma was the reason why the latter walked away and wanted nothing to do with more of Nakiri's bizarre problems, not to mention his oath to his daddy dearest that he will give up managing the Restaurant Yukihira if he lost in BLUE-even though he himself has no intention of serving under the Book Dork as her personal chef. However, with Mana is introduced as to root of Erina's woes as well as Tamako's debut as a flashback character for father-and-son that gave them motivation to move on, I can't helped myself but to make some comparison between the 2 and its kinda relevant with each other. Now, don't get me wrong about Soma's intention of saving the Nakiri Family because he has no intention to, but seeing the mothers appearance only make me to think more specially the obvious contrast between the 2. Keep in mind that in the last chapter, Mana doesn't seemed to even bother to try Soma's 5 World Fried Rice in spite the latter asks her to taste the dish. In the spoiler, however, it seems Soma's words about his memory with his mommy dearest before her demise seemly change Mana's mind and decide to give it a try. Note something off?
Yes, good. that's why I said that in the central arch. it affected him as well and not only because of Erina. if not for the family restaurant and also for his father. I say this because in the final fight Azami speaks directly about Jou and his storm. where Souma says that Jou was happy with his mother and they do not refer to the restaurant but his father directly.

yes, I do not misunderstand you. I also think that Souma would care very little about the Nakiri family if it were not for Erina. Souma said earlier that he does not want to be a personal chef at BookMaster. In fact I doubt that I really want to save Mana. He just wants to prove to Mana and Erina that they are wrong. if we remember when Souma was listening to the discussion of Erina and Mana. Souma realized that Erina's words do not only contain anger and contempt but something else. Mana is very focused on getting out of her despair. so much that he does not care about his husband or his daughter. This led to Azami in a rare act of love. Azami will mistreat her daughter in order to prevent her from falling into the storm. but this did nothing but generate hatred, fear and lack of true love on the part of their parents to erina. So Souma wants to show you how true mother and daughter love is. and also to prevent Asahi from taking erina to continue living a life of sadness and despair. so Mana does not want to try the Souma dish. Well I guess we could both agree and she does not believe in any dish of a light chef so if you wanted to try the plate of asahi and the souma seems to doubt and not want to try it. I do not quite know how this chapter is. because he still does not come out and I do not know what he really said to Mana. but you have to see that in the last chapter Souma told him "This dish is related to the dish out of this world that you are looking for and it is also a dish that I cook with the memories I have of my mother" may be the simple reason that Mana tastes the souma dish is for the first thing he said "it has to do with the dish out of this world you are looking for"

Last edited:

Chingaruna517

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I guess we could both agree and she does not believe in any dish of a light chef so if you wanted to try the plate of asahi and the souma seems to doubt and not want to try it. I do not quite know how this chapter is. because he still does not come out and I do not know what he really said to Mana. but you have to see that in the last chapter Souma told him "This dish is related to the dish out of this world that you are looking for and it is also a dish that I cook with the memories I have of my mother" may be the simple reason that Mana tastes the souma dish is for the first thing he said "it has to do with the dish out of this world you are looking for"
Yes, the stinger from the last chapter did mentioned Soma's mommy Tamako but don't expect Mana will eat the 5 World Fried Rice right away simply by hearing the word mother. Quite the contrary, it serves as a harsh reminder to Mana about her failure in motherhood to since she, like you said, so fixated on removing herself from despair that she willingly to abandon Azami and Erina altogether for her selfish quest, all the while ignoring the consequences of her obsession. Not helping matters is the same word also make her implies a wrong idea: Soma's boasting that his late mommy is the best in the world even than the Bookmaster-something as haughty as Mana would likely take offended by. The only reason why she will going to eat the dish even though she doesn't want to in the latest spoiler? Well, it probably based on her own hesitation back and forth and, maybe some little intrigue that prompt her eating the Fried Rice...I believe.

Aniokku

Reaction score
Country
Colombia
L
Yes, the stinger from the last chapter did mentioned Soma's mommy Tamako but don't expect Mana will eat the 5 World Fried Rice right away simply by hearing the word mother. Quite the contrary, it serves as a harsh reminder to Mana about her failure in motherhood to since she, like you said, so fixated on removing herself from despair that she willingly to abandon Azami and Erina altogether for her selfish quest, all the while ignoring the consequences of her obsession. Not helping matters is the same word also make her implies a wrong idea: Soma's boasting that his late mommy is the best in the world even than the Bookmaster-something as haughty as Mana would likely take offended by. The only reason why she will going to eat the dish even though she doesn't want to in the latest spoiler? Well, it probably based on her own hesitation back and forth and, maybe some little intrigue that prompt her eating the Fried Rice...I believe.
if that's why I think you did not understand the last part of my comment hahaha.

And it is now without knowing how to be the 311 chapter and without considering the spoilers. The only reason why Mana tastes Souma's dish would be why Souma said: "This dish has to do with the out-of-this-world dish you're looking for." that's the only thing that could make Mana taste Souma's plate. We both doubt that Mana will taste the dish just because Souma said "mother" in that we agree. I think Cap 311 would be something like that. Souma resumes his dialogue with Mana so that she can taste her dish. Souma talks about his mother. They show us a flashback of his mother and the plate. And after this Mana still doubts. Souma reaffirms what he said before his dish was part of Mana's search for a dish out of this world. to which Souma adds that if it were not for the love he had for his mother, he could not have made this dish. Maybe Souma will place Badass and say something that makes Mana want to try her dish. something like "maybe you do not want to experience the taste of an out-of-this-world dish" or "I thought you were looking for the true flavor of an out-of-this-world dish", a phrase that prompts Mana to approve Souma's dish and conclude the chapter. Or do you think?

Ye Xiu

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
that shitty antagonist still have the guts to gloat? i hope soma challenges him again and again until that guy wants to quit cooking for his entire life

yukihira

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ah, yet another pointless cliffhanger added to the list of "why did I think it was a good idea to end the chapter like this"
.................they're are so stupid my god :notlikethis They piss me off more than leave me antipating for the next chapter.

Also wow, Tamako.......after seeing various panels of her, I really wish she looked less like Soma and more like her own design

In terms of looks:
Erina =/= Mana
Soma========Tamako
Megumi/Alice(just right)Mom's