SIU's way of writing the story | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

SIU's way of writing the story

Ripcord

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe, but I feel like if that was his goal there would be more efficient and meaningful ways to do that. Like why do that with DengDeng, a newly introduced character who nobody really cared about? It would make more sense to use a long time cast member for that right? Someone we all care about. Then emotionally we'd be going on the same journey Baam is on.

And I don't know why he would do that if his goal was just to "harden" Baam because why would you do all of this if your goal was just to do that? If he wants to develop characters that should be the focus right? Instead he's been actively focusing away from Baam and his friends in order to do all this other complicated stuff.

Even beyond that, the way the Cage arc was done it wasn't really about Baam at all, as I experienced it. It was really Yama's story. Baam was just a part of it. Like he arrived to recruit Yama to help Jinsung. Simple in concept. Ended up roped into playing a game for a mcguffin(the fang). Then before the game can even really get started we got Khel Hellam's plans wrecking all that. Shifting focus to internal power struggles of the Cage focusing on Yama. Which was then shifted to focus on internal power struggles within FUG and Khel Hellam. Which then shifted focus to this wall and Khane and her sister.

It's the plot structure equivalent of a shell game.

I see that as SIU either starting plot lines, realizing he doesn't like them, then switching to plan B & C respectively. Or using this complicated plot to obscure the fact that he's moving Baam steadily up the tower and letting time pass without really doing anything.

Why is he doing all this and not just going to try and rescue Jinsung? The snake ranker guy said he knew where he was already. And Kallavan is clearly not guarding him right now. We could have already started and finished a "rescue Jinsung arc" especially if the goal would be to "harden" Baam. So it seems to me that neither of those things are really what SIU is trying to do with this. I just wish I knew what exactly he is trying to do.
I don’t know what he’s up to yet but my guess with Deng Deng is that was some kind of set-up for a later choice Bam will have to make that will have more weight. I agree that if the audience isn’t invested then it falls flat, so SIU probably could have avoided all of that.

I do think that SIU plans things out way in advance and as he writes he changes priorities as he sees it’s not working. There is a TON of stuff from S1 that he’s woven into S2 and now S3. I didn’t pick up on it but I saw a post elsewhere that the flowers on the memorial to the sealed warrior match a mural on the first floor. They could represent this particular person or a particular family. We will know soon enough.

toil

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t know what he’s up to yet but my guess with Deng Deng is that was some kind of set-up for a later choice Bam will have to make that will have more weight. I agree that if the audience isn’t invested then it falls flat, so SIU probably could have avoided all of that.

I do think that SIU plans things out way in advance and as he writes he changes priorities as he sees it’s not working. There is a TON of stuff from S1 that he’s woven into S2 and now S3. I didn’t pick up on it but I saw a post elsewhere that the flowers on the memorial to the sealed warrior match a mural on the first floor. They could represent this particular person or a particular family. We will know soon enough.
I find it interesting how divergent even long-term fans can find the "feel" of the series.

I'm more in this camp: to me S3 feels like we're, uh, speed-running a plot SIU mostly mapped-out as basically a counterpoint-and-afterecho of the workshop arc. I mean I am glad in some way's it's going so fast, but I think what he's done with the cage, the tournament, the coup, the elder's "wheels in wheels"-tier scheming, then Zahard's apparent "wheels-in-wheels-in-wheels" scheming above that is brilliant conceptually, but...it's been delivered too fast. I mean, we really haven't spent enough time with all these new characters and organizations to get a feel for how they typically behave, and thus we don't really find these twists too "surprising" or "dramatic"...but we should, and I think we would if SIU had slowed the pace down.

I'm definitely not arguing for a return to hell-train era glacial pacing, but I think the series will be better off when/if SIU finishes speed-running and goes back to a slower, more-scenic pace. Recent chapters maybe already are the start of this, too soon to say!

Shasha23

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I find it interesting how divergent even long-term fans can find the "feel" of the series.

I'm more in this camp: to me S3 feels like we're, uh, speed-running a plot SIU mostly mapped-out as basically a counterpoint-and-afterecho of the workshop arc. I mean I am glad in some way's it's going so fast, but I think what he's done with the cage, the tournament, the coup, the elder's "wheels in wheels"-tier scheming, then Zahard's apparent "wheels-in-wheels-in-wheels" scheming above that is brilliant conceptually, but...it's been delivered too fast. I mean, we really haven't spent enough time with all these new characters and organizations to get a feel for how they typically behave, and thus we don't really find these twists too "surprising" or "dramatic"...but we should, and I think we would if SIU had slowed the pace down.

I'm definitely not arguing for a return to hell-train era glacial pacing, but I think the series will be better off when/if SIU finishes speed-running and goes back to a slower, more-scenic pace. Recent chapters maybe already are the start of this, too soon to say!
The problem is not the pacing but the actual delivering of the actual plot, the way the main story and how the important characters are written is too poor, for 2 years now every character that is introduced has been crap because they have no character to relate to.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

I wonder that too. It's sort of hard to imagine for me what the Cage would have been like if he had spent more time on it. It could have gone two ways. Either we'd have been more invested or more impatient. I feel like it might have been the latter.

Because something similar to this did happen before in the wind up to Season 2. Where he really went pretty much all out to focus on team sweet and sour and did all that at a much slower pace. And that worked to some degree. People, myself included, were like "WTF is this? Where are the characters I want to read about?" but he did bring us around eventually to some degree. But even with that, most of those characters are gone now. That team is gone. And if that didn't work I'm not sure how much of a chance the Cage would have had.

I think the challenge for the Cage was really that it didn't really have a strong connection to the parts of the story that some people really get into. And without that, no matter what speed SIU goes it's going to be a problem.

Like the Hidden Floor was such a good arc because it the "natural enemy" thing created a personal involvement for the characters. To the point where people like kkck and I would have liked it to last even longer. Androssi and the Snake Charmer. Koon and his sister. In the Floor of Death it we had Androssi's desire to meet Garam. We have Koon's grudge against Rachel. Season 3 has struggled in creating those same connections. And I'm not sure it's a matter pacing so much as the FUG centric nature of the focus right now. Because Jinsung's connection to Baam is pretty much the only motivator on the board. And that doesn't extend past him and Karaka.

The only thing I can think of that SIU even could have added there with more time would be to involve Elaine more. Because she left the name hunt station with him right? You could maybe build off that. But I can't imagine that would have been enough.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The problem is not the pacing but the actual delivering of the actual plot, the way the main story and how the important characters are written is too poor, for 2 years now every character that is introduced has been crap because they have no character to relate to.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. What about the characters do you feel is lacking exactly?

Shasha23

Banned
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I'm not sure what you mean by this. What about the characters do you feel is lacking exactly?
Their overall development, even important characters of an arc and season just feel meh, they are all empty and 1 dimensional, you cant even read 1 chapter about them without feeling bored because they are not properly developed.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Their overall development, even important characters of an arc and season just feel meh, they are all empty and 1 dimensional, you cant even read 1 chapter about them without feeling bored because they are not properly developed.
That's so vague though. When you say not properly developed. Are you looking for deeper dives into their feelings (Like the stuff we just got with Khane). Character focused side plots (Like Androssi and the Snake Charmer for example).

toil

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder that too. It's sort of hard to imagine for me what the Cage would have been like if he had spent more time on it. It could have gone two ways. Either we'd have been more invested or more impatient. I feel like it might have been the latter.
I think it would be both: people would gripe about the pacing, but at least the intended "whoah" moments would land like "whoah" instead of "uh, sure, ok" (my general reaction to a lot of what we've seen).

I can imagine a "better cage", but it's obviously going to veer into "muh fanfiction" territory a bit b/c the arc we got is some thin gruel.

Like an easy one for me is to make the cage harder to find, and include a more-extensive "find the cage" arc. Have Baam cross paths with Chang, through which (a) we learn a bit about the canine people before the main event, (b) we get some ominous warnings the cage is about to get more dangerous (b/c of the pending coup, but that's kept secret), and maybe (c) Chang (or some other canine person he's hanging with at the time) is who tells Baam that Jar Jar Deng Deng's the key to all this.

Just doing that might make the whole "canine people outside the cage? that's impossible!" hit harder—Baam would be surprised cage residents didn't know—and would introduce extra whiplash when Chang gets killed off: goes from "maybe it's safe here after all" to "oh, no, Chang was sooooo right after all".

A slower cage that spent more time on the actual tourney would also, say, spend more time on the fangs. This would let SIU introduce some ???s like "canines all have that distinctive fang energy except yama (and Paul), who each have distinct vibes". Maybe also hint at the mind-control angle? (My pet theory is "fangs are fake thorn prototypes, yama/doom/paul are escaped earlier prototypes of whatever teddy/castano/beta were supposed to be"). Maybe also include more explicit callbacks to the workshop arc shenanigans (wherein Yama was supposedly teaming up with Karaka against Baam...).

I definitely think people would complain about the slower pace that would entail, but—again—it wouldn't necessarily be atrociously-slow and would certainly help make the big developments really feel more-impactful. Right now it's pretty deep into "dude we just met did a thing" territory for me, even though I like the lore and conceptual direction.

Shasha23

Banned
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
That's so vague though. When you say not properly developed. Are you looking for deeper dives into their feelings (Like the stuff we just got with Khane). Character focused side plots (Like Androssi and the Snake Charmer for example).
To an extent yes, its always important to have a connection to the characters and this can only be achieved by diving deeper into why they do what they do and for what reason, just look at how badly written the Baylord brothers and the Elder are and they were supposed to be really important people moving forward but i really cant give 2 shakes about them even though we have known them for 9months now.
The last well-written character introduced was Kaiser and that was like 3-4 years ago, its a shame SIU cant do te same for every important character.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
In the end it would really depend on the content.. You can have a fast pace arc with relatively little content that works and you can also have a slow pace arc with lots of content that bores you to death. It just has to be good and make sense. Looking back at the previous arc... to some extent what made the arc drag was how bam was handled fight wise. You had bam, whom we know is actually stronger than the enemy in front of him, exposing himself to needless danger... and it feels awkward and unnatural. There are more convincing ways for characters to limit their strength and test/train against enemies under specific circumstances. SIU placed way too much focus on the fake tension this creates rather than on the fact that the character is simply training...

toil

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the end it would really depend on the content.. You can have a fast pace arc with relatively little content that works and you can also have a slow pace arc with lots of content that bores you to death. It just has to be good and make sense. Looking back at the previous arc... to some extent what made the arc drag was how bam was handled fight wise. You had bam, whom we know is actually stronger than the enemy in front of him, exposing himself to needless danger... and it feels awkward and unnatural. There are more convincing ways for characters to limit their strength and test/train against enemies under specific circumstances. SIU placed way too much focus on the fake tension this creates rather than on the fact that the character is simply training...
This is a good point and I agree. So much so, in fact, that I wonder if this is something SIU did decide to change. Like, I can easily see a modification to the last station battle where Baam actually does use the 2nd thorn, but it's too much, too soon (with possibility for permanent harm if he keeps it up?). Still wind up with EVK telling him he needs to learn the basics before he busts out the power tools, but even just that would make the "holding back" it a lot more justifiable and would add a lot more tension when Baam does start using the thorn(s) all over again.

Ripcord

Reaction score
Country
United States

Because something similar to this did happen before in the wind up to Season 2. Where he really went pretty much all out to focus on team sweet and sour and did all that at a much slower pace. And that worked to some degree. People, myself included, were like "WTF is this? Where are the characters I want to read about?" but he did bring us around eventually to some degree. But even with that, most of those characters are gone now. That team is gone. And if that didn't work I'm not sure how much of a chance the Cage would have had.

I think the challenge for the Cage was really that it didn't really have a strong connection to the parts of the story that some people really get into. And without that, no matter what speed SIU goes it's going to be a problem.

Like the Hidden Floor was such a good arc because it the "natural enemy" thing created a personal involvement for the characters. To the point where people like kkck and I would have liked it to last even longer. Androssi and the Snake Charmer. Koon and his sister. In the Floor of Death it we had Androssi's desire to meet Garam. We have Koon's grudge against Rachel. Season 3 has struggled in creating those same connections. And I'm not sure it's a matter pacing so much as the FUG centric nature of the focus right now. Because Jinsung's connection to Baam is pretty much the only motivator on the board. And that doesn't extend past him and Karaka.

The only thing I can think of that SIU even could have added there with more time would be to involve Elaine more. Because she left the name hunt station with him right? You could maybe build off that. But I can't imagine that would have been enough.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

SIU could have added some richness to this arc if he’d had Chang Blaroad more involved in Team Bam and then tied that in here. Instead Chang felt more like an Easter egg than a tie-in. Instead he kept Chang a “mystery” and then seemingly kills him off panel... eh.

My best guess is that SIU changed gears a bit when he was somewhat forced to stop S2 and make it S3 because of the break. It could be that he just called it that and kept things the same, but it really does feel like a new season not just continuation of S2.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
SIU could have added some richness to this arc if he’d had Chang Blaroad more involved in Team Bam and then tied that in here. Instead Chang felt more like an Easter egg than a tie-in. Instead he kept Chang a “mystery” and then seemingly kills him off panel... eh.

My best guess is that SIU changed gears a bit when he was somewhat forced to stop S2 and make it S3 because of the break. It could be that he just called it that and kept things the same, but it really does feel like a new season not just continuation of S2.
Oh man. I forgot about that! Whatever happened to him? It was one of those "Is he dead or isn't he moments" but we never actually found out.

toil

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I mean, I'm just repeating myself now, but between (a) the way the Cage brought back workshop-era characters like Qaetro, Chang, Madorako, his rankers, Mad Dog, and Angel, (b) Yama and Karaka were implied to be jointly behind trying to melt Baam down back in the workshop era, (c) we have Rachel's team slinking around the tourney on a side mission, (d) we have Khun separated and trying to catch up to Baam (successfully, again), (e) a tournament with gambling on the side (not as prominent this time, etc.), (f) Androssi interrogating traveler and doing her own investigation again...it's hard for me not to see this as, like, mostly whatever SIU had planned for around the end of S2 before he took his break.

S1 has a pretty similar thing with the first test being "let the monster (almost) eat you, then attack from inside" and the final test becoming "let the monster (almost) eat you, then attack from inside", so it makes sense to me that SIU might want to do the same thing on a larger scale around the end of S2 (thus making the pre-workshop stuff a very extended prologue). So as much as I'm sure he's fiddled with things quite a bit due to the abrupt end and subsequent timeskip, it really does come across to me like he's speed-running his way through the material he'd planned to use as the end of S2 way back when.

That's just my feeling, though.

Lady pompom

Hell Kaiser Ryo
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Recently the story became a bit more complicated. I feel like there are many unsolved things and questions that SIU put at the start which we are not seeing answered (and possibly not any time soon), which makes me question the reason we have new characters introduced, just to not have them build up later or to become more of the neglected characters.

I liked the hidden floor arc, but this cage arc didn't quite appeal. I think the wall arc might be better in terms of development of the story, at least it started better as the cage arc (imo).

I expected to see more of arcs like the floor of death or similar to the hidden floor (we saw a glimpse of Zahard there), because those had a development while still introducing new characters and progressing the regulars through the floors (and even havng them learn new powers and skills).

Orbs2op

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Kinda agree and disagree, agree that sure bam can use the extra powers to have an immediate advantage but that boost isn't as strong as you think in a real fight yet, rankers can go all out and dodge too it's not a given but siu made bam a bit too stubborn in certain situations.

Disagree siu has to lay the ground work by making bam push himself as far as possible without running to the thorn like before, he has to raise his skills in real fights using his base limits asap, so the thorn has more impact when he uses it, that the point of the training and bam mindset, so its not fake tension it's bam trying to get stronger the right way, he gains more from fights like this than spamming stardust, metamorphosis is a good way for bam to fight normally, while his attacks still pacts a punch using red t as an extension of himself, red t is a massive power up it just not flashy yet, it's a good out for using the thorn less, the thorn is something bam shouldn't use for every random encounter.

I would like to have seen bam use all his powers by now like anybody else, but it's being saved for kallavan apparently, once that over with bam will have his questions answered and training will be finished.

If I had to say the story is suffering from something, it's bam being focused on rescuing jinsung and defeating kallavan, there is no real progress in that matter imo, and that takes away from the climbing and tests itself, when the story slows down without the climb going on in the background as a subplot, it can feel like a drag, all this zahard army, the cage and the wall stuff feels like it's should be on higher floors, instead siu is just fast tracking through most of it, with bam current strength a lot of floors can be skipped and the story will be back to the same pace and progression.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Kinda agree and disagree, agree that sure bam can use the extra powers to have an immediate advantage but that boost isn't as strong as you think in a real fight yet, rankers can go all out and dodge too it's not a given but siu made bam a bit too stubborn in certain situations.

Disagree siu has to lay the ground work by making bam push himself as far as possible without running to the thorn like before, he has to raise his skills in real fights using his base limits asap, so the thorn has more impact when he uses it, that the point of the training and bam mindset, so its not fake tension it's bam trying to get stronger the right way, he gains more from fights like this than spamming stardust, metamorphosis is a good way for bam to fight normally, while his attacks still pacts a punch using red t as an extension of himself, red t is a massive power up it just not flashy yet, it's a good out for using the thorn less, the thorn is something bam shouldn't use for every random encounter.

I would like to have seen bam use all his powers by now like anybody else, but it's being saved for kallavan apparently, once that over with bam will have his questions answered and training will be finished.

If I had to say the story is suffering from something, it's bam being focused on rescuing jinsung and defeating kallavan, there is no real progress in that matter imo, and that takes away from the climbing and tests itself, when the story slows down without the climb going on in the background as a subplot, it can feel like a drag, all this zahard army, the cage and the wall stuff feels like it's should be on higher floors, instead siu is just fast tracking through most of it, with bam current strength a lot of floors can be skipped and the story will be back to the same pace and progression.
So.... can you tell me you felt bam was in any real danger against any of the rankers he fought so far? Clearly the manga was signaling that bam was to some extent in danger but that is a different thing from us readers actually believing it. I certainly didn't believe it and IIRC neither did most people reading the manga. That's what I mean by fake tension... You have bam going up against rankers while holding back and basically placing himself in danger intentionally. Even evankhel told bam "don't be stubborn". And... then bam immediately used his powers as if evankhel's permission is what mattered to him rather than his training. This whole bit is so absurd that if evankhel had simply remembered to call bam earlier he would have used his powerups much earlier.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I sort of agree with kkck in the sense that you can't really feel like Baam is in a desperate situation if we know he's holding back. It's the "shounen weights" cliche. The situation doesn't become serious until the weights come off. If that would be enough to win or not almost doesn't matter because we know Baam isn't actually doing his best. Once he does his best, he could still lose but to establish the tension we need to know he's really trying.

I also definitely agree with Orb on the point that the focus on rescuing Jinsung and facing Kallavan doesn't feel like a good fit for this part of the story. Perhaps this was SIU's way of trying to reach that point. But the road from Season 2 to Season 3 with that sudden timeskip has been a bit too steep.

Orbs2op

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
So.... can you tell me you felt bam was in any real danger against any of the rankers he fought so far? Clearly the manga was signaling that bam was to some extent in danger but that is a different thing from us readers actually believing it. I certainly didn't believe it and IIRC neither did most people reading the manga. That's what I mean by fake tension... You have bam going up against rankers while holding back and basically placing himself in danger intentionally. Even evankhel told bam "don't be stubborn". And... then bam immediately used his powers as if evankhel's permission is what mattered to him rather than his training. This whole bit is so absurd that if evankhel had simply remembered to call bam earlier he would have used his powerups much earlier.
I agree he isn't in real danger to us the readers because he is mc, but in universe it's just seems silly for bam to immediately turn to power spamming, when the last time we saw him that was shown more of a weakness, bam fighting at base is not fake tension when he is trying to improve his powers overall powers, bm and the thorns are limited to bam base strength, which is limited to the amount of floors he is on, non of bam attacks can injure gado why would a 4x multiplier change that? In universe?

as I said before bam can start spamming stardust like crazy and all the rankers need to do is dodge or tank it, then bam is exhausted and needs to be saved no progress from the train, that what bam is trying to stay away from, it makes sense in the story so I'm not too bothered, other than with gado where he could have died in a stupid way.

I just don't see how 3 yrs trying is enough to overcome 5000 yrs of training kallavan, especially when bam is still limited to 50 plus floors, Trying to get more out of red t makes more sense imo, since it can actually injure high rankers and block attacks, he just needs to channel his powers through it, metamorphosis is massive out for siu, that why I'm saying bam using all his powers all the time wouldn't make sense at this point in the story.

If all of this was happening at floor 65, the story picks up with bam same as before but climbing towards yama, while working on his powers, getting info on kallavan/jinsung, meets Deng Deng, Louie and gado and fighting the odd ranker and top b or a class zahard regular, etc, then get to the cage everything would had more impact, but siu is rushing things a bit it's fine overall still, just the lack of climbing elements is messing with the flow.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I agree he isn't in real danger to us the readers because he is mc, but in universe it's just seems silly for bam to immediately turn to power spamming, when the last time we saw him that was shown more of a weakness, bam fighting at base is not fake tension when he is trying to improve his powers overall powers, bm and the thorns are limited to bam base strength, which is limited to the amount of floors he is on, non of bam attacks can injure gado why would a 4x multiplier change that? In universe?

as I said before bam can start spamming stardust like crazy and all the rankers need to do is dodge or tank it, then bam is exhausted and needs to be saved no progress from the train, that what bam is trying to stay away from, it makes sense in the story so I'm not too bothered, other than with gado where he could have died in a stupid way.

I just don't see how 3 yrs trying is enough to overcome 5000 yrs of training kallavan, especially when bam is still limited to 50 plus floors, Trying to get more out of red t makes more sense imo, since it can actually injure high rankers and block attacks, he just needs to channel his powers through it, metamorphosis is massive out for siu, that why I'm saying bam using all his powers all the time wouldn't make sense at this point in the story.

If all of this was happening at floor 65, the story picks up with bam same as before but climbing towards yama, while working on his powers, getting info on kallavan/jinsung, meets Deng Deng, Louie and gado and fighting the odd ranker and top b or a class zahard regular, etc, then get to the cage everything would had more impact, but siu is rushing things a bit it's fine overall still, just the lack of climbing elements is messing with the flow.
Then... I am going to phrase what I mean in a different way. Whenever a series is going on you have an atmosphere which more or less sets or is part of the context of what is going on. An atmosphere can be serious, sad, lighthearted, you name it. So, say you have an atmosphere but it doesn't quite fit with what you are seeing. There are, as far as I can tell, two reasons that may happen. The first one would be comedy. The second one is simply the author simply not being able to pull off whatever it is he tried to pull off. And my impression is that in this case this is what went on with bam's fights against rankers since the timeskip. The more obvious case is against the second twin bam fought.

So if you look at that moment... You have bam, karaka, doom, paul, gado and the rankers working for paul. Karaka forces the bayroad brothers into the game where the ranker fights bam. And the bayroads agree to having bam fight their ranker under the condition that the ranker doesn't use mimesis. And then... this was after bam had already woken up yama. He had escaped his grasp, arguably bam's greatest feat of power of power up to that point. And we had seen that bam could keep rankers at bay back at the last station. Essentially, we know that bam can take on a conventional ranker at that point, he merely has to use any of his powerups. And the guy he was fighting plausibly was even weaker than a conventional ranker without using his transformation. And meanwhile... the atmosphere was super serious. As in, we as readers know that bam at that point can probably just nuke the guy if he doesn't half ass it. And you look at this and the series tries to tell you bam is in actual danger against this ranker but you simply know that that isn't true.... then it isn't playing right. You have a clear difference between what you know about the series and what it is trying to sell you. That's basically what I mean by fake tension. We simply know for a fact that bam isn't actually in danger against his enemy at that point regardless of how much the series tries to frantically scream it at you otherwise. And the issue is not that bam should have been spamming these big attacks, rather the issue is that whatever SIU does should be believable given what us readers know and what is going on.

King Dryst

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Cobra
That's basically what I mean by fake tension. We simply know for a fact that bam isn't actually in danger against his enemy at that point regardless of how much the series tries to frantically scream it at you otherwise. And the issue is not that bam should have been spamming these big attacks, rather the issue is that whatever SIU does should be believable given what us readers know and what is going on.
You're not exactly wrong here, but then again. Baam is never in any true. genuine danger regardless of how hard he's trying. He's the main character. He's not going anywhere, and readers know this. So any tension involving him is ultimately fake tension.