Discussion - So what's the deal with manga scans anyway? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion So what's the deal with manga scans anyway?

jv2k

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I never quite understood why almost every scanlated ongoing series gets a LQ raw released before every other raw. For that matter why don't the scanners just release an HQ raw first? Is it because they have crappy scanners? That doesn't make much sense because the HQ raw eventually comes out meaning that someone can scan scan well. So does anyone have an explanation for this?

Moved to General Manga Discussion. ~ Ayah

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
probably the reason is that the early versions we get (we get the raws on thursday or wednesday when the magazine comes out the next monday) are just speed scans from people who get the manga early and want to get it out as early as possible and the hq versions are from people who actually have the magazine and can take the time to get the hq scan out.

jairdan6

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it's because it's the nature of the shounen jump magazine to use a very special type of paper only known to them. this sort of paper is very special. starting off at a papyrus color, once exposed to air, the very special chemical within the paper, called "blankaphyl" (blank: Greek for White, phyl: Greek for Leaf) begins turning the paper whiter as time progresses. the ink they use is also very special, containing a chemical called "darkaphyl" (dark: Greek for black, phyl: greek for leaf) and turns dark over time after being exposed to oxygen. thats why after time pages get whiter and the ink gets darker. it's practically magic. i hope that cleared up some issues for you jv2k

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Huh? I've never heard of any of this. Is this true jairdan6? What are your sources?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
That was what I was thinking as well.

nedeti

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
LQ before HQ has become a tradition, most Manga Editors still think that is what to be done and some even take it to cam shot XL-Low Quality.

I just think they in a hurry to see who released the chapter first, but they don't get that its not the speed that counts its the quality. Where is Inane now? they were selfish with speed scans, the quality was good though but look at it now they no more...

Resume: They don't know how to use a scanner.

C4animax

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
jv2k said:
I never quite understood why almost every scanlated ongoing series gets a LQ raw released before every other raw. For that matter why don't the scanners just release an HQ raw first? Is it because they have crappy scanners? That doesn't make much sense because the HQ raw eventually comes out meaning that someone can scan scan well. So does anyone have an explanation for this?

Moved to General Manga Discussion. ~ Ayah
Well if you ask this you'd rather think of why creators (games, movies etc) puts preview before the real stuff comes out, it 's a speed way to let you know what's happening without having to wait for a higher quality raw to come(delay might be very long sometimes) , so they give us a lame/low scan.

I suppose that they are rushing as many people out here just to be the first to release something which may explain some extra ubber lame camshot taken with camphone :D...still i'd rather have that than waiting 3 days to get a normal/high quality raw. Add to that only a few people got "instant' access to the weekly magazine before everyone else.

ps : Someone should teach them how to use there camphone properly...i'm sure you can get pretty decent pictures...

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here's the most likely REAL reason.

The first scans that come out are from a person who gets the magazine early. This person wants to scan the whole thing as quickly as he possibly can, so he cuts down the quality of his scan from 300dpi to something generally a lot lower. That and his scanner is most likely not the greatest in the first place. So, pretty much, it's for the sake of speed.

The HQ RAWs generally come out a few days later when the issue of Shounen Jump is officially released in Japan. Japanese people with better scanners come along and scan them in at a higher dpi as well, thus creating the HQ RAWs.

This has nothing to do with Manga Editors really, this is just how things work on the other side of the world when they scan the magazines in for other people to read. The public RAW providers don't generally have Manga Editors in mind when they scan things.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
yes, pretty much what i said with some padding for smarter speak :)

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
NeoShweaty said:
yes, pretty much what i said with some padding for smarter speak :)
Needed reiterating because it was basically ignored.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
nedeti said:
LQ before HQ has become a tradition, most Manga Editors still think that is what to be done and some even take it to cam shot XL-Low Quality.

I just think they in a hurry to see who released the chapter first, but they don't get that its not the speed that counts its the quality. Where is Inane now? they were selfish with speed scans, the quality was good though but look at it now they no more...

Resume: They don't know how to use a scanner.
Whoever told you that Inane is no more was wrong.