Discussion Strawhat Pirates VS Redhair Pirates

Do you think Strawhats and Redhair Pirates will "duke it out"?

• Total voters

Pea

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Estonia
I have a hard time imagining Shanks using anything but his sword. Apart from the arm that he holds his sword with, he only got his two legs. You think he would pull Sanji in a fight while he has that sword? Idk 🤔🤔🤔...

nik87

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I have a hard time imagining Shanks using anything but his sword. Apart from the arm that he holds his sword with, he only got his two legs. You think he would pull Sanji in a fight while he has that sword? Idk 🤔🤔🤔...
I think we could/should assume that there is more to his combat style other than his sword skill.
If we take a look at other Emperors they all have at least 2 ways to fight. Each of them has a weapon.
Whitebeard had his bisento, Kaido has a club, Big Mom has a sword, Shanks has a sword, Blackbeard has guns and a dagger probably and fist weapon.
We saw that WB can fight without his weapon, in fact he used that style a lot. We know that BM can fight without her sword as well, barehanded or using other 2 hommies. We saw that Blackbeard resorts to guns, he used fist weapon to injure Shanks in the past. Kaido most likely has barehanded combat.

It would be logical to assume that Shanks can fight in some way without his sword. Assuming that he has no DF he is indeed limited in combat style but then again, there is a monster like Garp who should have similar combat style and if it's not a problem for him it shouldn't be for Shanks either but yeah, if he is comparable to Mihawk in sword skill it most likely is his primary style of combat.

That brings me to our wannabe Emperor Luffy, he has no weapon at all and he bloody needs one. Considering that he is based on a monkey king, I could see a staff fitting his combat style somehow. It would help him so much against other weapon users, imo.

Lexusflame

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think we could/should assume that there is more to his combat style other than his sword skill.
If we take a look at other Emperors they all have at least 2 ways to fight. Each of them has a weapon.
Whitebeard had his bisento, Kaido has a club, Big Mom has a sword, Shanks has a sword, Blackbeard has guns and a dagger probably and fist weapon.
We saw that WB can fight without his weapon, in fact he used that style a lot. We know that BM can fight without her sword as well, barehanded or using other 2 hommies. We saw that Blackbeard resorts to guns, he used fist weapon to injure Shanks in the past. Kaido most likely has barehanded combat.

It would be logical to assume that Shanks can fight in some way without his sword. Assuming that he has no DF he is indeed limited in combat style but then again, there is a monster like Garp who should have similar combat style and if it's not a problem for him it shouldn't be for Shanks either but yeah, if he is comparable to Mihawk in sword skill it most likely is his primary style of combat.

That brings me to our wannabe Emperor Luffy, he has no weapon at all and he bloody needs one. Considering that he is based on a monkey king, I could see a staff fitting his combat style somehow. It would help him so much against other weapon users, imo.
I'm afraid that ship has sailed. A staff would had been very sick for Luffy to utilize

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shanks has demonstrated CoC in the presence of the strongest man in the world and here we are discussing if Shanks is limited to his sword. Comeon guys....

nik87

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Shanks has demonstrated CoC in the presence of the strongest man in the world and here we are discussing if Shanks is limited to his sword. Comeon guys....
Yes but we still dont know of what use CoC is in 1vs1...

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea tahts true, cant theorize on that and assume his strength. But we can assume he is proficient enough with other forms of haki as well.

afromarco005

Reaction score
Country
France
Sword or not Mihawk can and has defeated Shanks that's for sure.

Yonko wanking is getting old

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sword or not Mihawk can and has defeated Shanks that's for sure.
I would say they've battled with swords alone. The fact that Shanks lost his better arm resulted in Mihawk losing interest in battling him.

Pea

Reaction score
Country
Estonia

Good points overall, but as you rightfully mentioned Shanks is the only "normal" guy among the yonko. His haki is tremendous without a doubt, but what can he do with say CoC in a one-on-one scenario? Even if he has advanced CoO/CoA what makes one assume that Mihawk doesn't?

But it all comes down to Oda's imagination in the end. Cuz I personally fail to come up with a fighting style for a one-armed dude who has already shown proficiency with a sword. And if I recall correctly not even once he used anything else.

I'd rather him stick to fighting with his fists like his grandpa does. Luffy has already spent most of his years developing a fighting style matching his rubber body... A staff is a whole lotta stuff to learn for Luffy. He probably wouldn't even bother.

Some sort of brass knuckles on the other hand hmmm but no, just his bare fists. That's how Luffy rolls.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good points overall, but as you rightfully mentioned Shanks is the only "normal" guy among the yonko. His haki is tremendous without a doubt, but what can he do with say CoC in a one-on-one scenario? Even if he has advanced CoO/CoA what makes one assume that Mihawk doesn't?

But it all comes down to Oda's imagination in the end. Cuz I personally fail to come up with a fighting style for a one-armed dude who has already shown proficiency with a sword. And if I recall correctly not even once he used anything else.

I'd rather him stick to fighting with his fists like his grandpa does. Luffy has already spent most of his years developing a fighting style matching his rubber body... A staff is a whole lotta stuff to learn for Luffy. He probably wouldn't even bother.

Some sort of brass knuckles on the other hand hmmm but no, just his bare fists. That's how Luffy rolls.
I'm guessing Shanks has the best Haki to compensate for his lack of devil fruit and arm. He has seemingly the smallest Yonko pirate crew, and no DF, so for him to be on that level, he has to be crazy strong on his own. And that shouldn't shock us. Garp has no DF. As far as we know, Roger didn't either. And we know Rogers 2nd in command didn't, and he can easily hold off an admiral despite being over 70 years old and not a regular fighter anymore. So not having a DF isn't the end of the world.

Also, he's stronger than Mihawk. They were evenly matched as swordsmen, but one is a Yonko, the other isn't. When Mihawk saw White Beard, he wanted to test how far their power was, and he coudn't even hit him. He didn't come off as a man who was at the same level of power. And if Shanks is at that same level, he is naturally going to be stronger than Mihawk. Now Mihawk may be a better swordsman (slightly), but he's also a better swordsman than the other Yonko. That doesn't make him "stronger" than them.

Reactions: kcd

Pea

Reaction score
Country
Estonia
I'm guessing Shanks has the best Haki to compensate for his lack of devil fruit and arm. He has seemingly the smallest Yonko pirate crew, and no DF, so for him to be on that level, he has to be crazy strong on his own. And that shouldn't shock us. Garp has no DF. As far as we know, Roger didn't either. And we know Rogers 2nd in command didn't, and he can easily hold off an admiral despite being over 70 years old and not a regular fighter anymore. So not having a DF isn't the end of the world.

Also, he's stronger than Mihawk. They were evenly matched as swordsmen, but one is a Yonko, the other isn't. When Mihawk saw White Beard, he wanted to test how far their power was, and he coudn't even hit him. He didn't come off as a man who was at the same level of power. And if Shanks is at that same level, he is naturally going to be stronger than Mihawk. Now Mihawk may be a better swordsman (slightly), but he's also a better swordsman than the other Yonko. That doesn't make him "stronger" than them.
I get that. I won't even argue that Shanks as a yonko must be stronger than 99.99% of Marines/Pirates. But I'm just wondering what means does Shanks have to fight other than that sword?

BM, Kaido, BB – they all have devil fruit abilities, but with Shanks we've only seen his sword so far. Is it logical to assume that he'd rather fight barehanded when he has that sword?

Only viable option left is if he uses his legs...

As for the world's strongest slash vs Whitebeard, I get it, portrayal wise it was shown as though Mihawk is below yonko tier but it's too vague of an evidence. Jozu intervened and his fruit is arguably the best countermeasure one can possess against a swordsman. We could use other evidence from the story to assume otherwise (countless of duels with Shanks).

I know, somehow Oda will make sense out of all of this, by granting Shanks some insane haki-based skills or something. But untill then it's kinda hard to imagine how Mihawk can lose to a swordsman, who Shanks definitely is.

Fox666

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Since we have only seen Shanks in action for a few panels, I don't see the point of arguing if Shanks only uses his sword.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get that. I won't even argue that Shanks as a yonko must be stronger than 99.99% of Marines/Pirates. But I'm just wondering what means does Shanks have to fight other than that sword?

BM, Kaido, BB – they all have devil fruit abilities, but with Shanks we've only seen his sword so far. Is it logical to assume that he'd rather fight barehanded when he has that sword?

Only viable option left is if he uses his legs...

As for the world's strongest slash vs Whitebeard, I get it, portrayal wise it was shown as though Mihawk is below yonko tier but it's too vague of an evidence. Jozu intervened and his fruit is arguably the best countermeasure one can possess against a swordsman. We could use other evidence from the story to assume otherwise (countless of duels with Shanks).

I know, somehow Oda will make sense out of all of this, by granting Shanks some insane haki-based skills or something. But untill then it's kinda hard to imagine how Mihawk can lose to a swordsman, who Shanks definitely is.
I think if not using his sword, he uses his arms and legs, and probably has amazing haki. And from Whitebeards talk they were pretty even as swordsmen, they never fought after his injury. That doesn't mean Mihawk is better than him, just that they never dueled after that. I doubt their duels were anything more than friendly also.

afromarco005

Reaction score
Country
France
Stop downplaying Mihawk.

Jozu blocked the hit, but if the slash hit whitebeard it would have cut him, I mean even Squardo managed to pierce whitebeard's flesh with his sword (unless he is suddenly yonko or so level?)

Btw I believe Jozu would have been cut had it not been a flying slash pound canon type attack as I think that those can not be imbued with haki.

about the duel:
Mihawk doesnt look like the kind of guy who is not serious when facing his opponents in a duel.
It was stated that he dueled strong opponents, seeking more and more powerful foes until he defeated them all and was awarded the WSS title.
Shanks was confirmed as being one of his opponents and was found the inferior swordsman.

Shanks with both arms was dueling Mihawk and was losing most times than not (Mihawk has the title of WSS not Shanks).
Now Shanks lost an arm which relates to a certain loss of power/versatility which made Mihawk lose interest in fighting him. This says a lot about Mihawk's skill and power.

You cling too much on the yonko title to say Shanks>Mihawk. Your main argument is hype...
Even if Shanks were to have more brute strenght, in a serious fight Mihawk would defeat him.
And this is ok as losing to the WSS is not a shame really and it doesnt make Shanks anyless cool and if anything more human

Reactions: Pea

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Stop downplaying Mihawk.

Jozu blocked the hit, but if the slash hit whitebeard it would have cut him, I mean even Squardo managed to pierce whitebeard's flesh with his sword (unless he is suddenly yonko or so level?)

Btw I believe Jozu would have been cut had it not been a flying slash pound canon type attack as I think that those can not be imbued with haki.

about the duel:
Mihawk doesnt look like the kind of guy who is not serious when facing his opponents in a duel.
It was stated that he dueled strong opponents, seeking more and more powerful foes until he defeated them all and was awarded the WSS title.
Shanks was confirmed as being one of his opponents and was found the inferior swordsman.

Shanks with both arms was dueling Mihawk and was losing most times than not (Mihawk has the title of WSS not Shanks).
Now Shanks lost an arm which relates to a certain loss of power/versatility which made Mihawk lose interest in fighting him. This says a lot about Mihawk's skill and power.

You cling too much on the yonko title to say Shanks>Mihawk. Your main argument is hype...
Even if Shanks were to have more brute strenght, in a serious fight Mihawk would defeat him.
And this is ok as losing to the WSS is not a shame really and it doesnt make Shanks anyless cool and if anything more human
You just took a huge leap. Shanks was someone he dueled with, but nowhere in the manga did it say that he was found the inferior swordsman. White Beard said their battles "echoed through the grandline". Nowhere does it say that he lost, or that he won, only that the two of them engaged in epic battles. It said they stopped fighting when he lost his arm, and it seems they had a friendly rivalry. But anything else you just made up whole cloth to hype Mihawk.

I have no problem with Mihawk being slightly better swordsman. But in overall strength, it is pretty much confirmed that Shanks is stronger. And yes, that is due to him being a Yonko. But look at the fear and respect all fighters had for him at Marine Ford. His crew was tiny, but Black Beard and the World Government immediately stopped fighting when he told them that he would be their opponent if they wanted to continue. They all backed off. Immediately. Look at Akainu, he was going after everyone, not afraid, wanting to kill. But as soon as Shanks stopped him, he backed off.

Big Mom, with her massive pirate crew, even whined that if she had been able to get the warriors of Elbaff's help, she'd have been able to defeat all the other Yonko, specifically naming Shanks. Her crew dwarfs his, and yet she admits that without outside help she can't defeat him. I doubt she thinks the same about Mihawk.

I have seen no indication that Mihawk is at that level. Now, i don't put him far below, just that it's clear in the manga that the Yonko are the strongest individual fighters, followed by the Admirals and some of the Warlords. I can see Mihawk being at Admiral level, but not at Yonko level.

Last edited:

afromarco005

Reaction score
Country
France
You just took a huge leap. Shanks was someone he dueled with, but nowhere in the manga did it say that he was found the inferior swordsman. White Beard said their battles "echoed through the grandline". Nowhere does it say that he lost, or that he won, only that the two of them engaged in epic battles. It said they stopped fighting when he lost his arm, and it seems they had a friendly rivalry. But anything else you just made up whole cloth to hype Mihawk.

I have no problem with Mihawk being slightly better swordsman. But in overall strength, it is pretty much confirmed that Shanks is stronger. And yes, that is due to him being a Yonko. But look at the fear and respect all fighters had for him at Marine Ford. His crew was tiny, but Black Beard and the World Government immediately stopped fighting when he told them that he would be their opponent if they wanted to continue. They all backed off. Immediately. Look at Akainu, he was going after everyone, not afraid, wanting to kill. But as soon as Shanks stopped him, he backed off.

Big Mom, with her massive pirate crew, even whined that if she had been able to get the warriors of Elbaff's help, she'd have been able to defeat all the other Yonko, specifically naming Shanks. Her crew dwarfs his, and yet she admits that without outside help she can't defeat him. I doubt she thinks the same about Mihawk.

I have seen no indication that Mihawk is at that level. Now, i don't put him far below, just that it's clear in the manga that the Yonko are the strongest individual fighters, followed by the Admirals and some of the Warlords. I can see Mihawk being at Admiral level, but not at Yonko level.
So their battles echoed through the grandline but they arent on the same level what?
Was Shanks (like shaggy) only using 21.3% of his power during this duel?

Shanks stopped the war and ? Most fighters were already tired, no one there could whistand a fight with another yonko or top tier crew (I'd argue that Mihawk barely tried and was uninjured but thats beyond the point).
Results would be the same if Beast pirates, Big mom pirates or Rogers crew showed up. If Mihawk had a crew as powerful as the yonko he could stop the war too.
Kaido, Big mom, Mihawk even YC1 could have stopped Tired Akainu's magma fist too.
It doesnt show his individual strenght...

Your Big mom example only further demonstrate that the power of a yonko crew is not only coming from the captain, but also his subordinates. If anything it shows that shanks has stronger subordinates overall, even if they appear to be a smaller crew than Mama's making both their crew around the same PL. Quality over quantity same as rogers.

If mihawk is the better swordsman it means his skill is superior and he would win in a fight one on one simple. Doesn't matter if the ennemy is slightly stronger physically (and that too is an assumption there is no proof other than hype.) If he is the best swordsman in the world then most times than not he will win in a fight with Shanks a dude who appears to have no Df and mostly uses a sword and haki the same weapons as Mihawk.

This will be my last post on the subject as I said earlier, I am not too interested in continuing this debate.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
This will be my last post on the subject as I said earlier, I am not too interested in continuing this debate.
I mean, it's a dumb debate, so it's smart to stop. You are claiming without evidence that Mihawk is stronger than Yonko, merely to hype Zoro. It's absurd, so good to stop now. And any evidence of Shanks strength you quickly handwave away, so there is no point in going on.

afromarco005

Reaction score
Country
France
I mean, it's a dumb debate, so it's smart to stop. You are claiming without evidence that Mihawk is stronger than Yonko, merely to hype Zoro. It's absurd, so good to stop now. And any evidence of Shanks strength you quickly handwave away, so there is no point in going on.
Has nothing to do with zoro what kind of logic is that? I am talking about two sword fighters one being a yonko and the other the WSS.
Not handwaving but proving that the only reason why people thinl that shanks is stronger is hype.But whatever

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has nothing to do with zoro what kind of logic is that? I am talking about two sword fighters one being a yonko and the other the WSS.
Not handwaving but proving that the only reason why people thinl that shanks is stronger is hype.But whatever
No, you are saying that since they had duels before Shanks was a Yonko, that Shanks can only fight with a sword, and he would therefore lose to Mihawk. That's some...interesting logic.

afromarco005

Reaction score
Country
France
No, you are saying that since they had duels before Shanks was a Yonko, that Shanks can only fight with a sword, and he would therefore lose to Mihawk. That's some...interesting logic.
You admitted yourself that Mihawk is the better swordsman but him wining against shanks is out of the question to you?
Now you are contradicting yourself...

Realistically speaking the only thing that shanks has going for him is his yonko title, hype and almost no feats, so you are refusing to even consider that Mihawk the World strongest swordsman could defeat a dude with a sword who he lost interest in fighting after he was crippled?

As long as they fight with a sword then Mihawk wins simple as that, I didnt say that it would be an easy fight no one beats a yonko without at the very least extreme diff but Mihawk wins.