The Alkador Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Alkador Thread

Alkador

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yo,

I'm new out there, but I'm guessing a lot of you read my last Bleach translation. I've also been translating Blue Dragon the past few weeks and hopefully I'll be getting into more stuff as the time progresses.

If anyone has any questions, I'm more than happy to answer them. As I always seem to say these days: Enjoy yourselves!

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Yelo!

First post here! Yeah!

Thanks for the translations done so far.
My round of questions :

1) Why Blue Dragon? Is it your favourite series?
2) How long do you take to do 1 chapter?
3) Any thoughts of picking up new series like Hitomi no Cataplos or Boku no Watashi no Yusha Gaku
4) Victoria Bitter or Carlton Darught or Others? :amuse

Last edited:

Alkador

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks for the reply Nami. Questions are replied as followed:

1) Why Blue Dragon? Is it your favourite series?
Well I have been using these forums for a much longer time than I've been posting and I saw that a Bleach RAW had come out one weekend. 'Why not translate it - no else has!' so I did that. I really enjoyed it and thought maybe I could do more and translate a recent series (that didn't require me a long time to catch up), so I took up Blue Dragon. I've stuck with it since.

2) How long do you take to do 1 chapter?
For Blue Dragon, it takes about 2-3 hours. Depends how focused I am. I was really tired last night, but wanted to put the trans up, and it took 2.5 hours. I'm usually faster with Bleach (less than 1 hour?).

3) Any thoughts of picking up new series like Hitomi no Cataplos or Boku no Watashi no Yusha Gaku
I looked at Boku no Watashi no Yusha Gaku, but I think Hisshou was taking it under his wing. I would like to take up another series, but I will take things as time comes.

4) Victoria Bitter or Carlton Darught or Others? :amuse
4) Victoria Bitter or Carlton Darught or Others?
Very good question. I don't really like Beer (I know, sorry), but VB for me. People from other states will have other tastes, but I'm a VB man.

I can see your colour has changed from Blue to Red. Congrats?

Nami

Queen of The Damned
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Hey Hey!!

Thanks.

I think you are the only one doing Blue Dragon so far recently. Wow.. 2-3 hours max for one series really sound fast to me. Keep up the good work!:D

As for Boku no Watashi no Yusha Gaku, there has not been any translations since Chapter 3, and I guess it won't hurt to have more translators doing this series too, but yeah, you should do it only if you are interested in this series. The sensei in Chapter 1 really looks like a total wacko on the loose. :amuse

Mangasearcher

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Hello Alkador :D
Keep up the Good Work with BD *Thumps up*. You're the Guy who saved BD Fans :D.

My List of Questions:
1. Are you always going to do free translations or are you going to join a group?
2. Did you translate anything other than BD and Bleach?

I Hope This Thread will be successful :D

Clod

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
ello Alkador.
i just wanna thank you for your awesome Blue Dragon translations. you're doing great job, keep it up. thanks for being there for us fans.
good luck in everything.

Alkador

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I think you are the only one doing Blue Dragon so far recently. Wow.. 2-3 hours max for one series really sound fast to me. Keep up the good work!:D
Hehe thank you. Well, when I first came onto these forums, I saw Bleach untranslated and decided to do that. I ended up getting a rush of excitement from it. Then I looked for other untranslated manga at the time and there was Blue Dragon. My first go was hard, but I managed. It's getting better these days. After my exams, I'll be checking over them and fixing them all up. =)

As for Boku no Watashi no Yusha Gaku, there has not been any translations since Chapter 3
Yeah, I'll have a look at this after my exams too. I checked out HnC and it has a type of accent in Japanese which I don't understand (basically because I've never had to translate it before), so I let shrimpy take lead of that one. I'll check out Our Hero Studies soon-ish. =D

Hello Alkador :D
Keep up the Good Work with BD *Thumps up*. You're the Guy who saved BD Fans :D.
Thanks. It's a good manga, with a bit of talking, but it has the potential. Especially at the moment!

My List of Questions:
1. Are you always going to do free translations or are you going to join a group?
Good question. I'd rather work independantly for now as I want to just focus stepping up my Japanese skills and getting better at translating (since I feel I'm still new at this stuff). Maybe when I'm comfortable or get an offer I can't refuse, I'll move into a group. So it's free translations for now. Plus, doing free gives the chance for scanslators and people who want to try scanning chapters great opportunity, which is what we need here.

2. Did you translate anything other than BD and Bleach?
Not yet. That might come to change in the coming months. Keep updated to see what else I might pull from my sleeves. =D

I Hope This Thread will be successful :D
Thanks. Hope you like my translating and continue to read on. =D

ello Alkador.
i just wanna thank you for your awesome Blue Dragon translations. you're doing great job, keep it up. thanks for being there for us fans.
good luck in everything.
Thank you too. I notice you've commented in a few of my translation threads, so it's good to see a regular who likes me. Once exams are over, I'm going to refer back to some older editions and get the overall jist of the manga, so I can improve my translations.

Yay.

yemsta

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are you actually japanese or did you just learn the language because 2-3 hours isnt that kind of long just to read a manga and write what was said.

Oh and thanks for translating bleach !!!

Alkador

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Are you actually japanese or did you just learn the language because 2-3 hours isnt that kind of long just to read a manga and write what was said.

Oh and thanks for translating bleach !!!
Haha, nah, not at all. I'm just extremely passionate about the Japanese language, I love it to bits and I get such a vibe out of learning something new that I want to keep going. So when I do something like Bleach and Blue Dragon, I silence out everything and focus and yeah...

No problem about Bleach. If you want, I could do more translations, but I usually leave that for the first person to translate it...then again, there's no single person who's really dedicated to translating Bleach chapters on MH too, so maybe...

yemsta

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Haha, nah, not at all. I'm just extremely passionate about the Japanese language, I love it to bits and I get such a vibe out of learning something new that I want to keep going. So when I do something like Bleach and Blue Dragon, I silence out everything and focus and yeah...

No problem about Bleach. If you want, I could do more translations, but I usually leave that for the first person to translate it...then again, there's no single person who's really dedicated to translating Bleach chapters on MH too, so maybe...
That would be great the more we can add to the community the better it will get right. I myself am learnin and practicing cleaning and I think I may start doing scans of bleach (as naruto is oversubscribed so to speak) or any other manga.

Last edited:

Houjou

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mongolia
Here's another question: Have you ever been in Japan? If not, are you planning to do it?

See ya :D

Alkador

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I myself am learnin and practicing cleaning and I think I may start doing scans of bleach (as naruto is oversubscribed so to speak) or any other manga.
Ah that would be awesome. Yeah, I noticed that Naruto has a lot of translators, so why not carry this onto Bleach? Well, I look forward to some of your works - we all have to start somewhere, right?

Here's another question: Have you ever been in Japan? If not, are you planning to do it?
Hola, como estas?

I've actually been to Japan twice, but both were short trips. 3 years ago, I went for one week, after winning an essay competition (1 week free trip [except spending money]). This got me stuck into the place. The best item I brought back was a very small, light Japanese-only Kanji Dictionary book (yes, a book), containing every Kanji I've come across (with the exception of one word).

I went again a year later, as a school trip lasting 2 weeks. Loved it, but it really wasn't enough time...=(...I had fallen in love with the country by then!

Hope to be able to go again sometime, but it's not the cheapest trip in the world. I have the money, but I need to start looking to my future as well...Well, thanks for posting! =)

destinator

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Uhm yeah no question but just a thank you for the translation :)

Houjou

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mongolia
If you're bored, more questions :)

What's your dearest wish in your whole life? How many countries have you visited?

Alkador

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Uhm yeah no question but just a thank you for the translation :)
Aww, nice of you to come on here and say that. Well, you're welcome. I still don't understand this Crystal cave business, but hope it's been of some use. If you ever have any other questions, I'm more than happy to have a go.

What's your dearest wish in your whole life? How many countries have you visited?
Dearest wish? Oh boy...what a question. Well, some of my top wishes include travelling, translating a manga chapter without consulting to a dictionary of sorts, publishing my own book...

But, my dearest wish would be for all my best mates to be happy. If they are, then I would be as well.

As for countries, I came from the Philippines (shock, horror), but came here (Australia) when I was 5. Since then, I've been to Japan twice. So I've stayed in 3 countries in total...not a big number yet, but if I somehow get to travel in the future...whee!

woody_green

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
OMG, you're Filipino? Come join us at the Pinoy Hangout Thread!

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Do you require furigana to translate?

OmegaZX

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Alkador are you interested in translating Beyblade Metal Fight manga?
It is quite complicated but I trust that you are up to scratch right?