The ban of death? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The ban of death?

The Boff

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
ok, so this is the thing. ive heard about something called the ban of death in one piece.
and i cant for the life of me figure that one out.
if someone knows where oda said this and if its readable on the net, please can i have that link so i
can check that out. cause when you just listen to the name it is in my ears VERY confusing.
Bellemere, Hiruluk (sp?), all the people that were on ohara and many more should be dead :s.
so i cant really see that there is a ban of death in one piece.

please enlighten me if you know stuff that i dont!

Hermie

vs. The World.
Reaction score
Country
Norway
People die in OP, yes.

HOWEVER, that only occurs in flashbacks, for the major characters, nameless "extras" (marines, pirates), and very small named characters. (Mr. 11, for example, got shot straight in the face to open up a number agent spot.)

The Boff

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
so only nonamers and not important people die in the current storyline?

this is probably the only thing i have a big problem with in One Piece, everything
else is glorious, but this.... doesnt sit well with me.

DesiSkull

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
how come it doesnt sit well with you Boffen?
shouldnt it matter that the fight and storyline was great, therefore, leave out the killing part.

Koyuki

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
A mangaka who is afraid to show current characters dying takes away some of the realism that is so cherished. If some kid tries to fight a guy who's trained for years, he's gonna get his ass whooped (and given the nature of enemies in OP, killed). To stop that natural course of events is one of the hardest things for a reader to get over, in my opinion.

The Boff

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
DesiSkull said:
how come it doesnt sit well with you Boffen?
shouldnt it matter that the fight and storyline was great, therefore, leave out the killing part.
it takes away so much of the suspension, no matter in how hard of a situation no matter how friggin
effed up the storyline might be. i know that the wont die. im a gundam seed fan, one of the reasons im a fan is just because that you cant be sure about anything anyone can die at any given second.
the exact opposite. and that makes the story more real. and i like that.

DesiSkull

Reaction score
ahh i see ur point. so depends on the reader. for me it isnt necessary and i can still enjoy all the other manga. but i totally understand ur point of view. :D
besides u never know, maybe as the story progresses we might see some of the main character die.

nytrogyn

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I highly doubt that a mugiwara pirate will actually die..

The Boff

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
DesiSkull said:
ahh i see ur point. so depends on the reader. for me it isnt necessary and i can still enjoy all the other manga. but i totally understand ur point of view. :D
oh yeah dont get me wrong i LOOOOVE one piece.
cool, i actually managed to explain something... thats like the first time :nuts

nytro said:
I highly doubt that a mugiwara pirate will actually die..
yes so do I. but imagine how much of a tearbringer it would be if lets say Zoro fights against
Mihawk again and in that battle he gets killed. a herodeath-ish kinda thing with emotions running all over the place and all the characters crying and so on... it would give the story much more depth and
emotion.
but hey, you cant get everything. and one piece is still the best manga out there right now.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
OP is just lighthearted whereas other animes are not, OP doesn't do death because it's a fun anime, and Luffy like Goku prefers to turn bad guys into good/not evil characters.

DesiSkull

Reaction score
refii said:
OP is just lighthearted whereas other animes are not, OP doesn't do death because it's a fun anime, and Luffy like Goku prefers to turn bad guys into good/not evil characters.
yeh afterall Oda's favorite manga was DBZ :D but we saw the bad guys die plenty in dbz.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Don't lie to yourself, less people died in DBZ than anywhere, hell was a joke you could escape from, dragonballs brought back the dead, and Goku died more times than Kenny (southpark)

DesiSkull

Reaction score
refii said:
Don't lie to yourself, less people died in DBZ than anywhere, hell was a joke you could escape from, dragonballs brought back the dead, and Goku died more times than Kenny (southpark)
yeh but it was still shown that they died. thts other point that they were brought back to life by using dragon balls

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
true, you got me there, guess OP just needs some Devil Balls (oy the ****** this will bring on..) to let more characters (LIKE PELL DAMN IT) die..

DesiSkull

Reaction score
see if u look it this way. they never gonna show Arlong or Crocodile or Don even again. so in other word their character was killed off after the fight with luffy. killin the character off by just disappearing the character is pretty much like showing that character died in the battle. it just that Oda taking it different approach.

PS. even after cell, frezza, and other died. they were still show living in hell. just like Goku himself. it sort of goes in circles.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Crocodile was shown again.. and Oda said Arlong was alive

The Boff

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
DesiSkull said:
see if u look it this way. they never gonna show Arlong or Crocodile or Don even again.
im hoping for a rematch vs. don krieg i mean this guy we KNOW didnt die. imagine him coming at luffy again although this time wearing a new armour. made of kairoseki(seastone). kick ass fight? could be.
and yes croc has already been shown that he is alive still. i mean he got arrested after the fight, its not very often that someone arrests a dead dude right :p. and the it was confirmed with the cover story.

brak3000

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I remember this from when I read the early chapters of One Piece in the American released volumes, but there was a Q&A with Oda, where he was asked why Luffy never killed his enemies. he responded that destroying their hopes, ambitions, and dreams was worse than anything else he could have done, it sort of negated their reason for existing. When Bellamy ridiculed Luffy's dream and showed no ambitions of his own, Luffy refused to fight him (until later, at least).

So I think it is with this in mind that Oda generally doesn't like to kill off characters.

The Boff

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
brak3000 said:
When Bellamy ridiculed Luffy's dream and showed no ambitions of his own, Luffy refused to fight him (until later, at least).

So I think it is with this in mind that Oda generally doesn't like to kill off characters.
that makes sense. (and now i finally understand why they didnt fight back :D)

and welcome to MH brak3000!

DesiSkull

Reaction score
brak3000 said:
I remember this from when I read the early chapters of One Piece in the American released volumes, but there was a Q&A with Oda, where he was asked why Luffy never killed his enemies. he responded that destroying their hopes, ambitions, and dreams was worse than anything else he could have done, it sort of negated their reason for existing. When Bellamy ridiculed Luffy's dream and showed no ambitions of his own, Luffy refused to fight him (until later, at least).

hah nice first post and Welcome to the MH brak3000! enjoy..