The Bartholemew Kuma Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Bartholemew Kuma Thread

Absolutio

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Well.. Weekend is over, so we can start discussing things up here in the Tree of Knowledge.
So, after having the Gecko Moria Thread, I'm starting up this new thread, introducing the newest Shichibukai whos abilities are (more or less) "known" to us - Bartholemew "The Villian" Kuma!

As we've seen in the latest chapter - 473, he definitly has a Devil's Fruit ability that has something to do with transporting-teleporting. But what amazes me most of all is not only his ability to teleport himself, but also to teleport others! (Perona for example).
With this kind of ability, he could win against any kind of a DF user without even breaking a sweat! Simply teleporting the enemy to the middle of the sea and watch him/her drown! I hope that there's something more to his DF powers, because I don't like those kinds of unbalanced supreme powers. :X
Even if he can't teleport other people (dunno how to explain Perona in that matter), or simply chooses not to, his ability can also be great for melee combat! Just teleporting around, throwing punches from behind all the time, knocking the enemy down.
And lastly, there's also this bible thingie.. I wonder what it means.. Can't wait for Oda to show us more about him!

Discuss! :D

Impel Down

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
He's pretty much wrapped in mystery at this point.

It seems to be some kind of teleporting DF, but it's still somewhat vague. And if it's a DF, I don't see why he needs to write it down...and in a bible, none the less.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
He's pretty much wrapped in mystery at this point.

It seems to be some kind of teleporting DF, but it's still somewhat vague. And if it's a DF, I don't see why he needs to write it down...and in a bible, none the less.
What do you mean by write it down? Write what down? O_o

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the Bible has to do with the fact that he sends people to their own personal "heaven". And yeah, we don't really know enough about Kuma for there to be much to say in this thread. I'm betting on this thread going nuts over the weekend, though.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I think the Bible has to do with the fact that he sends people to their own personal "heaven". And yeah, we don't really know enough about Kuma for there to be much to say in this thread. I'm betting on this thread going nuts over the weekend, though.
I didn't think about that, but it sounds as a pretty good theory. Also, what's up with all those huge people! O_O First Moria (we also had a discussion of him being or not a giant), and now Kuma. They are giants in human flesh!

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What do you mean by write it down? Write what down? O_o
Ooh, you didn't see it here? Well, read the last chapter again, and pay VERY careful attention to Kuma while Perona is talking, and after it too. Notice the gloves and what he does with his book? Yeah, a little Oda-foreshadowing action.

OP_overlord

Reaction score
Country
United States
i think he cant just teleport people where every he wants they have to say where they want to go, that is why he asks them where do you want to go before the "battle". i also think that he has to have been to the place where he is going to send them.
i like the reasoning as to why he carrys around a bible Imitorar

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Oh I see! Can't believe I didn't notice it! So maybe he wrote down her desired place and then using his powers combined with the stuffs written in the bible he teleported her? O_o

Freakzin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
i liked the explanation that because he teleports people a lot, he writes down where he sent them so he doesn't forget and can find them later

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
That theory sounds nice, but here's what I wanna know: Why would Kuma CARE about finding them later?

Paz42

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
maybe he is only concerned with battling the really strong foes and sends the rest to somewhere where they would be happy so they wouldnt move on. So if he sent perona to somewhere dark and damp like she wanted then at a later date he or the marines can come and get them

Towelie

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Austria
As i haven't seen this thread before i'll just post my stuff from the predictions thread
as it fits better here:

Some thoughts/theories concerning Kuma:

- It's either a DF or the book that gives him his power.

- If it's the book it might have inherited the power of a DF.

- He can teleport himself to places he sees/has seen or have been described to him;
for example the shichibukai don't know the location of gekko moria (which
also means thriller bark) but kuma may know how thriller bark looks like and
could therefor teleport himself there.
Already at thriller bark he isn't able to teleport himself directly to moria as he
does not know morias exact location, so as a result he asks underlings, perona etc..

- He can teleport other people to places he sees/has seen or have been described to him;
here he seems to choose places where the people want to be, hence he asks them
about it.

There are some unclear factors though:
Why does he send them to places they like?;
Is it because he seeks forgiveness for his brutal past?

Does he read or write into the book?;
If he reads does he cast some spells or pray for forgiveness for using his powers
on others? If he writes does he have to write down the location to where
he teleports them?

And what does he need his bare hand for?
Does he have to touch his "victims" with his bare hand or is it just a kind of
religious symbol?

Yeah, whatever. ^^
That's just what came to my mind about kuma.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada
First off, remember that in OP, there is no magic.

And now for predictions with an Impel Down spin on them:

Perhaps his bible "ate" a DF. That's always possible.

As to where and whatnot, he didn't ask the zombies when he teleported them, so maybe if it's written down, he can keep doing it. And with Perona, he just felt like showing off or something.

And to the glove, yes, I believe he needs his bare hand to do it. That's all.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
The theory about Kuma's bible "Eating" a DF fruit sounds quite reasonable, that will also explain why he wrote when he tele'ed Perona, and he holds so tightly to his bible. (maybe he needs to hold it tight to teleport? O_o )

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, if he's actually religious, then he'd want to hold it close so as not to drop it or something.

And he probably just needs to activate it to teleport himself or others.

matrice

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
His power seems to be about teleportation and control of a different dimention. He can confien enemies and move faster than a soru user. It's a pretty impressive ability, indeed, expecially considering than he has a huge asn (probably) powerful body: the last two shichibukai seems to be little giants more than mere humans. However, compared to Crocodile or even Moria himself, Kuma seems far more dangerous (well, at least at the same level of Donflamingo, that in my opinion is one of the strongest after the strongest swordsman).

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Crocodile is still quite powerful, as is Moria, don't underestimate Shichibukai. After all, Moria and Doflamingo still have higher bounties, and if Kuma was so unstoppable, then why would he have submitted to the WG? With power like that, he could have been able to reach Pirate King!

Obviously, if you were to figure out the trick behind his moves, one could potentially win against him.

gao_dargon

Intl Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
well, we know for sure that he made Perona go "puff" and before that he wrote something in his bible,my question is, is he a giant or not? i think he is bigger thatn WB cuz if i remeber correctly even though WB has giantism, shansk is more or less as tall as his waist, but Nami is the sise of Kuma's knee right? he is not as big as Oz thats for sure, but we allready know that Oz is bigger than a normal giant, so.. is Kuma a giant or just have giantism like WB???

MDLatqp

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting comparison, Kuma and Whitebeard. Based on comparing Shanks' height to that of Luffy to that of Nami, I'd agree that Kuma's got the edge in height, but not that he's got the edge in strength, lol.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada
WB is larger than Kuma. And for Kuma, it's mostly stature anyway. WB is bigger in all manners, with his muscles and whatnot. And Kuma is about the size of 2 1/2 Peronas, and Perona's about Nami's height, and Shanks is probably taller than both of them anyway.