Favorites - The Best and Worst of One Piece: 2016 Edition! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Favorites The Best and Worst of One Piece: 2016 Edition!

Eigengrau

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
It's that time of the year again now that the last chapter of 2016 has been released:celebrate!
Share your Best/Worst in the following categories, but remember: you can only pick stuff from chapters that were released this year! That's chapters 812-850-851! Which means you can't pick (for example) Jack, Nekomamushi or Inuarashi as the "new best character" because they were introduced last year.

Here are the categories:

- Best moment of the year;
- Funniest moment of the year;
- Most revolting/enraging moment of the year;
- Most heartbreaking/dramatic moment of the year;
- Weirdest moment of the year;
- Worst moment of the year;

- Best character of the year;
- Worst character of the year;

- Best unexpected moment/reveal/development/plot twist;
- Worst reveal/development/twist;

- Best new character;
- Worst new character;

- Better looking new character;
- Worst looking new character;

- Most promising new character;
- Least promising new character;

- Best new Devil Fruit;
- Worst new Devil Fruit;

- Best fight of the year;
- Worst fight of the year.

I'll start it off with my own!

- Best moment of the year - "Raizo is safe"
This one was easily the best moment of the year for me. After we saw and came to learn everything that happened to the Minks, Oda blew us all away when he delivered this feels-heavy revelation!

- Funniest moment of the year - the gang's reactions when they found out that Sanji had turned down Pudding

- Most revolting/enraging moment of the year - Cosette being beaten :(
Poor Cosette... it really made me sick to my stomach, poor girl :/.

- Most heartbreaking/dramatic moment of the year - Sanji hurting, followed by Luffy stating he can't become Pirate King without him

- Weirdest moment of the year - Capone's baby...

- Worst moment of the year - Jack gets one-shotted
Easily the worst moment of the year for me... Bruh, after so much hype regarding Jack... one of Kaido's strongest "elite", 1 billion bounty... and then he just gets one-shotted by an elephant's trunk...:facepalm. Shame that no Straw-hat got to take on him... A lot of people wanted Zoro to FINALLY have a worthy opponent, and this seems like such a wasted opportunity... then again Jack will probably show up again at some point.

- Best character of the year - Luffy
Might sound like a cliché answer, but just look at everything Luffy did this year: he went after one of his nakama, fought and beat a Yonko's commander, stubbornly decided not to move until Sanji came back, even if it meant having to take on a whole army, eating chocolate houses, talking back to a Yonko... I could go on, but clearly we can see how far Luffy has come, and how he's constantly pushing everything and everyone forward, on his way to become PK :zomg!

- Worst character of the year - Pekoms
I guess you could say that Pekoms was always moderately hyped ever since he was introduced, but everything we got from him this year was him being gunned down not once, but twice... by the same character, too.

Seriously... I mean, are we even supposed to assume that he's alive at this point? He probably is, but I mean, he's a DF user who was just thrown in the water and stuff... Either way, I just thought that the whole thing was a bit silly. It's as if Oda had a role planned for him but then decided to quickly write him out of the arc or something.

- Best unexpected moment/reveal/development/plot twist - Road Poneglyph/stuff about Raftel
We all know what Luffy's main goal has always been, and yet after almost 20 years since the beginning of his adventure, we barely know anything about Raftel/One Piece itself, because stuff is always happening... but finally we just had a new significant development! About damn time, too!

- Worst reveal/development/twist - Germa army clones
Yeah this did nothing for me.

- Best new character - Charlotte Cracker
Cracker was just badass... everything from his awesome "real form" reveal, to his looks, viciousness and DF ability (also cool looking sword and attire), he was just damn awesome. Shame that his fight didn't go a while longer, but he certainly lived up to the Commander's name and it was enough to wash off the bad taste that was left after Jack's ridiculous defeat... For a Yonko's right hand man, he certainly played the part, leaving our main character exhausted.

- Worst new character - Judge Vinsmoke
An asshole that doesn't need introductions... Real scum >:|

- Better looking new character - Smoothie
:gaw
Honorary mentions: Amande, Praline and Cracker's real form!

- Worst looking new character - Anglais
Meh.

- Most promising new character - Smoothie
Yep, I'm going with Smoothie on this one as well. She's one of 3 Commanders (2 currently active), she's a powerful female (not too many of those lately), she has almost a 1 billion bounty, really cool looking with a yet to be named DF ability, and she has yet to go to work and show what she's made of... Hopefully she'll be a lot tougher than Cracker!

- Least promising new character - Anglais
Meh.

- Best new Devil Fruit - Cracker's Bisu Bisu no Mi
A real challenge for Luffy, had him fight for over 10 hours straight. Just goes to show how Yonko elite soldiers are no joke at all. Clearly some of the most powerful and dangerous soldiers in the New World!

- Worst new Devil Fruit - there's not really a DF that comes to mind, but if I had to pick one it would be Brûlée's Mira Mira no Mi.
Not really Devil Fruit-ish... more like witch shenanigans... Plus it was her own DF abilities that lead to her being knocked out, so... yeah.

- Best fight of the year - Luffy Vs. Cracker
Well, you can argue that there haven't been that many fights to begin with, but this one easily takes the cake I guess. We get to see our main character show the fruits of his labor, meaning we even get to see his Gear 4th form(s) again after a relatively short period since its debut against Doflamingo, and we see Luffy kicking Cracker's ass and knocking him out, which is really something that a Yonko can't just ignore.

- Worst fight of the year - Sanji Vs. Vinsmokes
I get it that Sanji has his hands tied behind his back and whatnot, but come on now... Sanji just let them trample all over him... and then he tells Luffy and the rest to just f_ck off when he already knows all too well that they aren't going to do that...

I guess you can argue that it's not at all fair for me to say this, but Sanji's just being a little ***** basically... but here's to hoping that 2017 will REALLY be Sanji's year and he gets to kick a lot of butts :celebrate!

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
(edited due to new chapter)

- Best moment of the year
Seeing Kidd beaten in that cell (the hype).
Brook facing off with LinLin
- Funniest moment of the year
Raizou doing that ninjutsu (Luffy/Chopper/Usopp reaction vs Law :XD)
- Most revolting/enraging moment of the year
When Niji beat up Cosette

- Most heartbreaking/dramatic moment of the year
Judge telling Sanji to not reveal his heritage (disgusting)

- Weirdest moment of the year
Carrot biting/eating Luffy (but it's funny too)​

- Worst moment of the year
n/a

- Best character of the year
Pedro
Reiju
Brook

- Worst character of the year
Judge

- Best unexpected moment/reveal/development/plot twist
Brook facing off with LinLin

- Worst reveal/development/twist
The revelation of Sanji's past and treatment

- Best new character
Reiju

- Worst new character
Judge

Reiju

- Worst looking new character
Brulee

- Most promising new character
Reiju
Ichiji

- Least promising new character
Judge

- Best new Devil Fruit
LinLin's DF
- Worst new Devil Fruit
Brulee's DF

- Best fight of the year
Zunisha oneshotting Jack (I'm in a minority that enjoyed this so much)​

Sanji vs Niji

Last edited:

FetherMan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
best moment of One Piece in 2016: everything that happen in One Piece was GREAT!!.

worst moment of One Piece in 2016: the f**king week breaks every month are the WORST!!.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, ODA!!. :super

Asymmetric

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Raizo is safe!

Something carrot related
Opera's DF

Sanji at the end of last chapter! Finding out about pudding, last ray of hope gone, his facial expression was just so saddening.

yonji getting fixed up. At the time i was very confused if they were just being funny or what.

Jinbei section, the fact he chickened out. (until full explained i say its the worst part)

Pedro

Judge (most evil)
Opera (just pure poo)

- Best unexpected moment/reveal/development/plot twist
Sanji's Past. I liked it, yes obvious foreshadowing from his im the prince phone call but apart from that i had no clue until the wanted poster changed. even that he had siblings. Literally the fact that no one (well me personally) never thought to question his lack of photo and especially how Sanji got to East blue and that you'd have to cross the red line to do it and to do that you have to be pretty powerful/ have powerful or royal connections. Like all the info was there and and weve seen the world map. The fact Goda had again planted a seed in like chapter 30 and waited for like 830 to reveal. The brilliance.

That Jack was a Fishman. First DF fishman.

That Germa are clones.

- Best new character
Pedro. Then Ichiji. Then Pudding.

- Worst new character
Raizo

Lady Amande

Opera. Raizo.

Carrot (even though her fight was trash)

Perospero. He's the eldest son but I feel whatever he is involved with will be underwhelming.

- Best new Devil Fruit
Big Mom's DF (I dont even like it, its just the best of that shown). Or definitely Reiju's if it ends up being a DF.
- Worst new Devil Fruit
Opera's DF. It makes no sense at all how the power of sweetness can burn or do anything for that matter. Fruits are usually outrageous in how they make sense but they still make sense, his doesnt, his just sucks so hard. (Yes I am tilted lol)

- Best fight of the year
Luffy V Cracker

Chopper and Carrot V Brulee. All of it, from how they ended up in the mirror world, to the constant running to the actual fight.

Zehahaha

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
- Best moment of the year; Hmmm this one is difficult really, but I dare say when Luffy said he's gonna kick BM's ass in front of her sons, liked that a lot
- Funniest moment of the year; None
- Most revolting/enraging moment of the year; Vinsmokes mistreating Sanji
- Most heartbreaking/dramatic moment of the year; Sanji's reaction in the latest chapter
- Weirdest moment of the year; BM having an army of children and husbands, that was weird
- Worst moment of the year; Luffy saying he'll wait for Sanji, that was dumb and pissed me off

Hmm tough one but I'd say Brook
- Worst character of the year; No one really... By worst I mean shit characters like Shitjao and Hody, not evil/good classification

Minks having ties with Raizo and Kozuki clan
- Worst reveal/development/twist; Nothing I can think of really

- Best new character;
Pedro
- Worst new character; No one

Reiju
- Worst looking new character; Raizo (Opera could be up there too)

Reiju, dunno why but I expect some decent things from her
- Least promising new character; Opera again ?

- Best new Devil Fruit;
That's a tough one, we were introduced to a lot of DFs but I would BM's fruit
- Worst new Devil Fruit; Cracker's fruit, simply because it is bullshit (biscuits being that hard, and that versatility... loads of crap really)

Luffy vs Cracker I suppose, not that it was that exciting
- Worst fight of the year. Eh... Dunno really, didn't see any bad fights neither did I see great fights so far

2016 is a great year storywise, not many exciting fights but a lot of developments and good pacing finally, so no complaints whatsoever overall

I'd give OP this year 8/10 because while no MAJOR revelations were made except Road Poneglyph, the pacing was really nice, and the chapters overall interesting

Last edited:

Onyx Darkmatter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Big Mom confronting Brook (I also love it how he called her "Young Lady").

Kaido being drunk

Vinsmoke family treating Sanji like shit.

Sanji feeling hopeless.

Luffy's G4 Tankman

Luffy and co. entering the Forest.

Reiju.

Niji.

Minks kept Raizo safe.

None.

- Best new character;
Reiju.

- Worst new character;
Niji.

Cracker (both his Armored form and Human form).

Opera

Reiju.

Judge.

- Best new Devil Fruit;
Soul-Soul Fruit

- Worst new Devil Fruit;

Kame-Kame no Mi

Luffy vs Cracker.

Sanji vs Judge

BetaRuler

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wait was doffy all last year? I thought some final dressrosa moments would be this maybe my timing is off

Zehahaha

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Wait was doffy all last year? I thought some final dressrosa moments would be this maybe my timing is off
Pretty sure DD was defeated in 2015, if I remember right chapter 790 was out in June 2015

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Maybe you're thinking of the anime? The whole Gear 4/end of the arc went down during January-March of this year.

Tonix

Reaction score
Country
United States
Brook calling Big Mom 'Young lady'
Brook calling Big Mom 'Young lady'

Every interaction between Sanji and the male members of his family
Luffy telling Sanji he won't eat anything unless Sanji cooked it. (kind of a light year for drama, but knowing how much Luffy loves to eat, it was a surprisingly emotional statement)
Raizou
Pudding not being in love with Sanji
Sanji
Capone Bege
Reiju actually being a loving sister.
Pudding being evil </3
- Best new character;
Reiju
- Worst new character;
Smoothie #comeatme
Reiju
I don't really like the appearance of any of Big Mom's crew, can I choose Big Mom herself since I believe her appearance wasn't fully revealed until this year?
TBH I don't think any characters introduced this year will have much of an impact on the story once this arc ends, but I'd guess maybe Reiju? She seems to be the only decent person amongst the Vinsmoke family, I have a feeling Sanji will protect her somehow.
Smoothie :p
- Best new Devil Fruit;
Was Reiju's anti-poison technique DF based or from her genetic enhancements? If it was a DF ability, then I say her, since she could essentially break out every prisoner of Impel Down if she set her mind to it, without needing the plot armor luffy and Blackbeard had when breaking people out. if it was from her genetic engineering, then I guess Big Mom's fruit is arguably the coolest and most versatile.
- Worst new Devil Fruit;
I wasn't a big fan of Cracker, or his fruit.
Jack vs Zhou :p Pedro vs the Long Legged guy was a close second though.
Was Kidd/Appo/Hwakins in this year? Cuz I really didn't like having that entire fight off paneled.

TrueRaiKage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pedro n Brooke getting ready to launch
Carrot taking Luffy out over her snack carrot
Sanji v Luffy
Sanji v Luffy
Puddings reveal to 00
Puddings reveal to 00
The Minks.....Pedro Carrot Duke Neko the Nox crew flash back. Everything about them has been flawless thus far.
BM crew. Thier mission is flawed, thier DFs are suspect. (They are cool but Oda kinda stretched for these......cream? Crackers? Mirror? Soul?Books? Wtf these are worse than DDs but not as cool. I like bookbook but wtf dosent it seem all powerful at this point. )
- Best unexpectedmoment/reveal/development/plot twist;
Raizou was safe and protected
Road ponegylphs......wtf there's more important journeys and adventures now. We just spent 19years on the GL and now get hit with a plot bomb.
- Best new character;
Kaidou
- Worst new character;
Raizou
The Scribe
Opera...wtf Oda
Judge.....he's a plot bomb just waiting to go off
Lin Lin.....her character could have been more but now she's been so fluffed up her downfall will seem just as fluffed. She's clever powerful has large crew yet to dumb to be PK(Q)
- Best new Devil Fruit;
Barons egg (if it's not a fruit) then Jacks
- Worst new Devil Fruit;
Cracker n Opera.....to far of a reach
Baron v Pedro......he used his tail to lunge at him from a seated position.................close runner up Soul King flexing.
Nami v Homies.... ..waste of ink, time, n Namis character development

uberfayt

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Luffy stating he cannot become pirate king without Sanji

Pudding's imitation of Sanji's face xD

Oda wasting a whole chapter just for Zunisha to sink Jack's fleet...

Sanji crying when Luffy tells him he understands he's in a lot of pain

BM having a mermaid daughter...:blink

Sanji letting Judge beat him :facepalm

Kaidou (him stating to a beaten up Kidd that "they were just playing pirate games" was more than priceless...)

Maybe Momonosuke...

- Best unexpectedmoment/reveal/development/plot twist
Raizou actually being on Zou.

None.

- Best new character
None

- Worst new character
Carrot

- Better looking new character
Ichiji (His design is just too cool), Amande

BM

Pudding...I really hope she'll betray her mother as well, not being on anybody's side.

Carrot...she's just there for comical purposes, who cares if she's strong...

- Best new Devil Fruit;
Pudding's ability

- Worst new Devil Fruit
Opera...like what's the use of that...?

- Best fight of the year
None (I'm not a fan of fights in OP TBH)

- Worst fight of the year
Sanji vs Luffy

Last edited:

Tournesol

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
At first I thought: "Oh no, there are wwwaaayyy too many questions! How am I supposed to remember enough scenes to fill out this form?" But then I found it really interesting, reminiscing the best and worst moments of the year, whatever they may be for you.
So I'll just have to add my own! :D

- Best moment of the year -
It's hard to decide, there were so many good moments, but I can't remember one that stood out above all others.
Guess I will go with Sanji explaining to his assembled family why they are assholes.
Sadly, this was (imo) the only good Sanji scene in this arc so far and the good feeling didn't last long as he has been constantly abused since, but I feel like he deserves to have this good moment of him recognized. He made a good point about appreciating food and other people and the fact that he had the courage to go up against them all in spite of the things they did to him (before and after) made me respect him more. This arc really is good, finally Sanji becomes more than "that pervert who loves cooking and sexy women". Hopefully the positive character development will continue this year.

- Funniest moment of the year -
CROQUEMBOOOOUUUUUUCHEEEE!!!!
Have you ever imagined King Kong as a middle aged woman longing for cake? That sight made me laugh so hard! xD

Honorable mention goes to Nekomamushi just being his cat self ;D

- Most revolting/enraging moment of the year -
Most disgusting: Though most of it happened last year, all of Jack torturing the minks as well as the elephant while they were all helpless. D:<
Most enraging: Luffy letting Sanji beat the crap out of him, even though it would have been easy for him to block the attacks with haki (or even just his arms) and then calling it "a duel".

- Most heartbreaking/dramatic moment of the year -
Hm... drama? I dunno.
A heartwarming/sad moment for me was when Sanji brought his self-cooked food to his mom and she ate it all (even though it had been in the trashcan!) and claimed that she loved it, even though it's heavily implied that it was terrible. That was such a crass difference to the rest of the Vinsmoke family that I honestly wondered how it was possible for such an apparently nice woman to have married that... I'm at a loss for words, but you get the point. XD
While the whole story didn't seem very logical to me, I certainly found it touching how far she was willing to go to show her love for him and how she was the only one to treat him like a real child instead of just "a future general"/"human weapon" like everyone else.
I was originally going to add some speculation about Sanji's mom and her relationship to her kids here, but since then I've read the newest chapter, so there's nothing to speculate about anymore. In retrospect, this DOES make this scene more dramatic and even more sad and thus a better fit for this category. ^^

- Weirdest moment of the year -
Luffy actually teaching a kid how to behave... and not by hitting him or anything, he made a really good point (Momonosuke loving to act as "a leader", yet behaving like the little child he was and not contributing anything) and came across like a big brother figure who is mature and kind... I was like: "Is this really happening??!"
It was a good scene, just unexpected to see Luffy acting like a grown-up and thus pretty weird stuff.

- Worst moment of the year -
Before the Pudding reveal, this would have been Sanji's proposal to Pudding. I was like: "No, NO, NOOOOOOO~~!!!! Dafuq are they doing???!!!!"
My friend kept pointing out to me that neither of them had a choice, so might as well go with it and try to have fun, but the whole scene made me cringe so hard... with the knowledge we have now, it no longer qualifies though.
I can't really think of another "worst moment" that isn't already in one of the other categories, so I'll leave it at that.

- Best unexpected moment/reveal/development/plot twist -
"You will like this chapter.
BUT I DIDN'T!!"
- a friend of mine about chapter 450
And the #1 unexpected plot twist goes to...
Pudding really being an evil bitch!
I had been hoping/waiting for this all arc long and when it happened, it was still a surprise.
She was always nice to everyone. I still hated her. She promised to come to the shore but didn't show up. Everybody forgave her because she's cute, but why make such a half-assed promise if you aren't going to even try to keep it? Then she apparently felt sorry for Sanji when he told her his story, but STILL wanted to marry him afterwards?! D:
And those annoying squeaking sounds ("kyaa~~!!!!!") she kept making... -.-
I thought: "Omg, do we really need another Baby 5-type character?" Cute, sexy young woman whose head is completely empty and who is dead-set on marrying a complete stranger for some reason? Having one of them in a story is enough for me...
Well, I did have my doubts about her for many reasons. Like that 3rd eye she never showed anyone and that didn't seem to cry when the others did? Why'd she always put her hands in front of her face? Why could I never "read" her emotions when looking at her face? (In OP, the characters are really expressive and tell you a lot of things by just looking at them. It's one of the things I like about the series.) And what about the path that she told Luffy to take being pretty dangerous (killer ants?!) and ending in an even more dangerous place (the seducing woods)? Even that flashback scene where she talked to Lola stood out in that Lola seemed convinced that her mom wouldn't kill her for running away from the wedding, but if she was so sure of that, why did she even talk about it? It's as if somebody else had just said to her: "Mama will kill you for this." But alas, there was nobody else but sweet innocent little Pudding with Lola on that picture and she wouldn't say something like that... right???!! xD
Also on the scene with Sanji, it was there in the back of my mind: "NOW Pudding tells Sanji about the exploding bracelets. Can't she figure he'd already have them by now? Or maybe she DID already know?" and about that "I won't let our marriage be hell for you!", I thought that it was pretty ironic, surely many people have said something to that effect to their partner in an arranged wedding, but how many times is this actually true? Wtf was she thinking, why did she want to marry someone who she knew was miserable with the whole thing? And there were always those Homies with her. Wasn't it strange that she kept (apparently) trying to help Luffy and Sanji while the Homies were there listening? XD
But then came that chapter where she visited Luffy and Nami in prison and I was kinda surprised. She had nothing to gain from visiting them and comforting them (which is what I thought she was doing, lol!) and then she (apparently) selflessly decided that she wouldn't marry Sanji after all. I was like: "Wow, I have been so wrong about her! She is a genuinely good person after all! Sorry Pudding..." And I felt bad about it until I read THAT chapter.
I did wonder about Luffy's expression. He is the master of bad plans, if HE thinks something is a bad idea, whatever Pudding told him she's going to do had to be an unspeakably abysmal idea. For example, if she told them she was going to just say no on the wedding, Nami may have been shocked because she'd realize what would happen afterwards, but Luffy would have probably been like: "Great idea!!! Thanks a lot!! ^^"
So there were definitely enough hints before the reveal, but at the same time the illusion was good enough to fool even a suspicious person like me!
Now the character and arc make much more sense to me. I always thought that if Sanji had a (sub-)arc focused on him, there should be a really evil but stunningly beautiful woman as his opponent. His biggest weakness is imo not that he's weaker than Luffy and Zoro or that he has no devil's fruit or anything like that, but the fact that he can do nothing against (good-looking) female villains. Sure, the women in One Piece are mostly weak, but you don't have to be able to pick up and throw a building to be able to hurt and kill people. So I've always wondered what would happen if Sanji was faced with a woman who wanted to kill someone and none of his friends were there to take care of her for him. I really think that he should overcome this weakness to grow as a character. It's still not guaranteed that he'll do it, but at least now the perfect opponent has entered the stage.
And Pudding as a character is finally... well, an actual character. Before, she looked like an assortment of things that didn't make sense together, now she looks like a manipulative person who enjoys playing others for a fool. I like the new Pudding so much more than the old one!

That's why for me:
- Best new character -
Pudding (the real one)

- Worst new character -
Pudding (pre-reveal)

- Worst reveal/development/twist -
The mink tribe actually hiding Raizou.
I know a lot of people like this one, but I got so pissed off, I wanted to throw the volume right out of the window, shouting: "Fuck you, Oda!"
Then I didn't do it, because it cost 10€, which is a lot of money for me. xD Also, I can't harm a book! But it was close!
Everything that happened completely changed in meaning through this and I found it outrageous how a ninja, whose whole point of existence is running, hiding and deceiving enemies, was tied up and "hidden away" "to protect him". >__>
I see the minks' point, as they didn't want to reveal their connection to Wano to Kaidou, but it seems he already knew anyway and I don't see how a single person's life can be worth sacrificing a whole island full of people. I'm sure Raizou will eventually have his plot-changing moment of awesome, where without him, everyone would have died or something, but just looking at it logically, before the strawhats and Law joined their anti-Kaidou alliance, the mink warriors were almost all of the fighting power they had... there's surely some strong fighters over in Wano too, but cat & dog alone are so insanely strong. Now they are crippled and they were almost killed... not sure if anything they could have done could have changed this outcome (since Jack seems to just torture and kill pretty much anything or anyone for fun because he can), but I still disagree with their strategy of locking up the ninja and the fact that they all almost died because of it pisses me off.

- Best looking new character -
I wouldn't call her "good-looking", but I like Big Mom's character design. Somewhere between an old lady, a pirate, a monster... among all those pretty young women who all look the same to an extent, she really stands out as a different female character... as she should, given the plot importance and power she holds as a Yonkou.

- Worst looking new character -
Hm, I dunno. Big Mom has a LOT of children, one of which looks as if someone had poured some weird sticky white stuff all over him, another who looks like a mix of Big Mom and Caesar... if she wasn't older than him, I would've thought she must be their daughter. XD I don't even like Smoothie's design either...
Then there is also Raizou. >___>;
My dreams of seeing cool ninjas in the Wano arc... No, they aren't dead yet, there must be other ninjas in Wano!!! Just keep believing there are, nin...... nin.......!!!!!

- Most promising new character -
Reiju looks promising as a potential recurring character. Her poison ability looked powerful when she used it to save Luffy, but the fact that she was pwned by Pudding with one pistol shot makes me question if she is any good as a fighter and if that poison absorption only goes one way (I had assumed she could store and later use it against enemies or something...).

Honorable mention goes to Momonosuke's father, who we don't know much about but seems like he could be an interesting character. (Not sure if he even counts though, we do know his name, but not his face. xD)

- Least promising new character -
Sanji's father and brothers I guess. They can't even have a proper fight without (ab)using their clone soldiers or some sort of threat (like a hostage). They haven't shown any redeeming qualities either. They'll play their roles in this arc and then they'll only be seen in title pages or SBS... at least they seem like that kind of character.

- Best new Devil Fruit -
- Worst new Devil Fruit -
I don't have a strong opinion on most of the fruits. I was really happy there was a cookie fruit!!! Who wouldn't want that, just to be able to eat all of the cookies??!! Arrr... Then again, it was kinda odd how "unlimited" cookies were pulled out of thin air and yet could fill a person's stomach. Apparently, they didn't disappear when Cracker was KO'd, so they were actually real physical cookies? Odd...
Also, the candy fruit seems to be really strong. o__o
The things Big Mom can do with her ability are awesome, but I'm still waiting for a more detailed explanation, right now it seems pretty random. Steal people's lifetime/souls, put them into objects, control said objects (?), change the weather (with her soul-infused cloud)...

- Best fight of the year -
Well, there hasn't been that much fighting, because the Zou arc had almost no fighting and then the Big Mom arc was just being built up and thus didn't have any big fights yet as well... the "most worthy opponent of the year" award obviously goes to Cracker, because he made Luffy give his all to beat him, but I didn't like how the fight apparently took half a day, without Nami's help Luffy would have probably lost and the fact that it was so fragmented and I didn't 100% understand how the cookie power worked... the ending was good though, Cracker being smashed into his own cookies and then flying all the way into the castle. XD

- Worst fight of the year -
There are a few contenders among the things that happened between Sanji and his family, but this one goes to...
Luffy vs. Sanji
No matter how bad the other fights are, this one was so bad, I don't feel as if anything else even comes close.
I expected a confrontation and was even looking forward to it, because I remember liking the fight between Luffy and Usopp way back when and I thought Luffy fighting with Sanji could be interesting. Imagine if he had knocked off the mask, that would have raised a lot of questions for Luffy and Nami. But then... then Luffy just stands there and does nothing.
I was like: "What... is... this? When will he start fighting?" He just didn't. Yeah, I understand he doesn't want to hurt Sanji and that this battle would be unfair if fought seriously, but couldn't he at least block the attacks to keep himself from harm?
I actually liked Luffy's idea to wait there for Sanji after telling him that he wouldn't eat anyone else's food, because both of them know that he's going to go through with it and that Sanji will HAVE TO bring Luffy food if he doesn't want to become a murderer. That was unexpectedly crafty of him. xD
But the fact that Luffy keeps hurting himself in the middle of enemy territory before a (very probable) battle against a yonkou, for crying out loud! Exactly what was the point of letting Sanji kick him into oblivion?
Then he stood there (as promised, I'll give him that) and got beaten up by Big Mom's army.
Then he tries to rip off his arms just to get out of prison... okay, it's preferable to live without arms than to be dead... I guess...? But what about his dreams as a pirate? How the hell would he beat anyone if his primary weapon was gone? He could have at least waited to see if there was any other way to get out. Well, waiting or thinking aren't his strengths and yet, the obvious fact remains that in a beaten-up state or even without his arms (!!!) his chances of beating the yonkou (like the one just in front of him) will be lowered significantly. You don't need to be a genius to figure that out. :/
And thus,
- Most disappointing character -
...goes to Luffy!
I know there's not much going on in his brain, but come on man! If you want to get somewhere in life, you can't ONLY rely on brute strength and luck. How about using your head for once?

Uh well, that became a pretty long post, but I really wanted to put an explanation for every "award" I was giving...
If anyone bothered to read this wall of text, here, have a cookie! xD

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chapter 812 - Pekoms and Bege reach Zou.
Chapter 851 - Reiju's memories get erased.

- Best moment of the year -

Has to be Raizou is safe...... amongst the best ever!!!
It was an amazing twist as well.
The next was the sequence of Zunesha squashing Jack like a bug. The whole sequence of Luffy can listen, Momo can too, but it follows Momo... Zunesha about to fall, and then stands tall.... beautiful...

I feel the crew's reaction to Sanji turning down the wedding as well. Luffy and Chopper eating up the building was funny too.

Sanji getting abused by his family. It wasn't super enraging but I don't remember any other scene from this year

Luffy and Sanji fight, Luffy's words and Sanji crying... as close to heartbreaking you can get this year.

The entire Totoland arc..... its like a Disney movie adapted in Japanese manga....

Lola's vivre card, Big Mama's reaction to it.. a lot of the chapters this year.... this wasn't the best One Piece year IMHO

New character: Cracker...
All characters: Brooks, he is sooooo badass, without an ass!!!!

Diesel??? and probably Scratchman Apoo

Raizou is safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant think of any, there were few good ones I guess... oh wait, the entire Vinsmoke revelation. Its like Oda planned Sanji to be a Tenrryuubito, laid clues all along, then logged on to mangahelpers and saw theories, then said, nah... I will just make up a new group, who are militant, assassins and still royalty.... he could've just named them Zoldycks....

- Best new character;

Cracker

- Worst new character;
Diesel

Smoothie, reiju..
Opera

Pudding is good. Her ability is great and lets see how she plays through.

cant think of anyone...

- Best new Devil Fruit;

In strength, Big Mama clearly but it still needs further explanation. I think its a repackaged version of Morias. I liked Pudding's DF ability equally, not just because she can manipulate memory, but I like the way they show it like a film reel and she is the editor. It was very well done.

- Worst new Devil Fruit;
Crackers DF lacked creativity. The way he uses the ability was very impressive..

There were barely any fights, I can only think of Luffy vs Cracker. Pedro and Brook acting together was good but don't think that counts as a fight.

Barely any fights....