Hangout - The Gamer by Sung Sang-Young | Page 39 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout The Gamer by Sung Sang-Young

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Just started this up. Too bad there are only 65 chapters done. Still very interesting though. Well there's no longer any need for deep thinking if you're asked to choose an ability. This gamer thing and the system has to be the most haxxed thing possibly available. There's literally no limit to his potential and learning skills just by touching books? Wow. He could practically learn all the haxxed abilities. Such a broken existence.

Anyway what I'm curious about is if he is the only 'gamer' ability user that exists? The branch manager from the abyss didn't really treat him like anything special despite knowing his ability. I'm eager to see other stronger natural ability users. Be it late-bloomer types or ones that are born extremely powerful. Is it even possible for other characters to have as much potential as him?
And the thing with being able to see his mum's level. I initially thought it was a thing limited to a +50 diff in level but hers was just around 15. Maybe because of his 'observe' level up.
Anyways my only issue is the naming system. Koreans use the three name type and its hard for me to keep track of characters names. Its different from other mangas I've read thus far but still so amazing.

Shader

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Just started this up. Too bad there are only 65 chapters done. Still very interesting though. Well there's no longer any need for deep thinking if you're asked to choose an ability. This gamer thing and the system has to be the most haxxed thing possibly available. There's literally no limit to his potential and learning skills just by touching books? Wow. He could practically learn all the haxxed abilities. Such a broken existence.

Anyway what I'm curious about is if he is the only 'gamer' ability user that exists? The branch manager from the abyss didn't really treat him like anything special despite knowing his ability. I'm eager to see other stronger natural ability users. Be it late-bloomer types or ones that are born extremely powerful. Is it even possible for other characters to have as much potential as him?
And the thing with being able to see his mum's level. I initially thought it was a thing limited to a +50 diff in level but hers was just around 15. Maybe because of his 'observe' level up.
Anyways my only issue is the naming system. Koreans use the three name type and its hard for me to keep track of characters names. Its different from other mangas I've read thus far but still so amazing.
Okay, about Mom's level stuff, most common version right now is it was not her but a clone/projection/some_sort_of_substitution.
And about another "gamer" well, if we turn on cliche mode, then his nemesis should have similar ability (maybe just a different system, for example he may be getting points for skills on level up) so i think chance of such a character to appear is pretty high.

And yes, i have problems with rememberin characters name too..so far i remembered only main character and loli witch ^^'

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Okay, about Mom's level stuff, most common version right now is it was not her but a clone/projection/some_sort_of_substitution.
And about another "gamer" well, if we turn on cliche mode, then his nemesis should have similar ability (maybe just a different system, for example he may be getting points for skills on level up) so i think chance of such a character to appear is pretty high.

And yes, i have problems with rememberin characters name too..so far i remembered only main character and loli witch ^^'
I'd believe that. It was weird. Although I thought she might have actively modified it to show that. This could be possible if she is the 'system' in his gamer ability. Either ways, that's probably not her real level.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just a quick heads up! The 2014 Anime Awards have started!

If you want to place a nomination, or vote when the poles are open... or just look around for viewing ideas... that is the place!

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Caught up.

This is quite good but I am not sure if I would have liked it this much if I had not marathoned it, it is quite slow IMO. His ability is interesting and I like that there is not many characters.

When are chapters usually released?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Caught up.

This is quite good but I am not sure if I would have liked it this much if I had not marathoned it, it is quite slow IMO. His ability is interesting and I like that there is not many characters.

Every week. Usually around Friday. There is actually an official translated version on Naver's LINE Webtoon but it lags behind the latest fan translations by quite a bit.

As for the speed, I've found it to be a pretty fun series to follow week to week(which I've been doing since around chapter 10). Mainly because it's just such a funny series that it doesn't have the same frustrating moments where the whole chapter builds up to next week and doesn't offer much else. No matter what Gamer always seems to have something to offer.

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Caught up.

Jammin's correct about when we usually get scans, but the raw chapter's usually out by what would be 4:10 pm for you on Thursdays.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Every week. Usually around Friday. There is actually an official translated version on Naver's LINE Webtoon but it lags behind the latest fan translations by quite a bit.

As for the speed, I've found it to be a pretty fun series to follow week to week(which I've been doing since around chapter 10). Mainly because it's just such a funny series that it doesn't have the same frustrating moments where the whole chapter builds up to next week and doesn't offer much else. No matter what Gamer always seems to have something to offer.
The only thing is that we complained for about 15-20 weeks straight when nothing of relevance happened.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
That's fair, but even that wasn't really that bad.

Most series have lulls of some kind but in the case of The Gamer even in the stretch there was a lot of great comedy that kept us coming back every week. It is just so consistently funny. It's a safety net that made it so even when not much was going on plot wise, it always had something entertaining in every chapter. Now that it's got an actual plot going the chapters are definitely better but even when it was just doing a lot of grinding skills the chapters tended to be pretty fun.

My point is that it's a safer bet week to week to be an entertaining read than something like Noblesse or even ToG because those are series that, if the plot element isn't going well, don't have that saftely net of comedy to ensure that pretty much every chapter is going to be a good read.

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
That's fair, but even that wasn't really that bad.

Most series have lulls of some kind but in the case of The Gamer even in the stretch there was a lot of great comedy that kept us coming back every week. It is just so consistently funny. It's a safety net that made it so even when not much was going on plot wise, it always had something entertaining in every chapter. Now that it's got an actual plot going the chapters are definitely better but even when it was just doing a lot of grinding skills the chapters tended to be pretty fun.

My point is that it's a safer bet week to week to be an entertaining read than something like Noblesse or even ToG because those are series that, if the plot element isn't going well, don't have that saftely net of comedy to ensure that pretty much every chapter is going to be a good read.
Your mileage may vary on this one, dear Jammin.

There were parts where I would open the tab of the week's chapter and it would be like, "Why was this even made?" At this point, Noblesse and ToG are entirely formulaic, minus one or two odd plot twists, such as Regis randomly being the Clan Leader, and I don't really know why I'm still reading them.

Well, at least right now, a bad Gamer chapter is going to be better than a bad Noblesse or ToG chapter, but that's not really saying so much. There aren't even new bad Noblesse chapters available because of health issues.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Im assuming the three chapters a week line webtoon is doing will get us caught up to where it truly is in the homeland? Currently on 53.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
That would be nice if they caught up! The fansubbers have served us well, and probably would still do a better job, but having an official source is good.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
That would be great.

I'm grateful for the fansubbers efforts but I always consider it best for fans to be able to support the official version, where possible, since that benefits the authors. The translators working for line seem like they have improved considerably since they started too.

With Gamer that hasn't really been practical since the scans were so far behind but once they catch up I'll definitely switch over to the official releases.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hmmmm.... I just saw that the official subbing is up to chapter 83 and they are now back to 1 per week. The raws are at chapter 86 right now so they will stay 3 chapters behind for the time being... since the new chapters should be coming back this week.

Yay! Party time! :party

Son-Derling

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
yeah....normaly they should have done 84 yesterday, 85 today and 86 tomorrow....and then chapter 87 would come out tomorrow which would be totaly fine....does LINE make some official announcements about why they did not do 3 realeases this week? 1 month behind the original is too much....other series on LINE do it 1 day later

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, we are just going to have to keep going to check on the latest chapter on Line... If they see people keep going to check, they may fill in the gap.

SightlessReality

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hooray, been waiting for this. I forgot, does it come out on Thursdays or Fridays?

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
It comes out in about 12 hours from now... the raw anyway. Thursday, for those of us in North America.

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Mangacow or someone should get us the scan relatively quickly anyway.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Oh we're finally back, good to know. Was there a timeskip?

SightlessReality

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
We don't know he sad he was getting 480 hours worth of training from Loli Witch but that's in IB time so who knows.