Books - The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? ) | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Books The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Just read Il Dottore Zhivago ( Doctor Zhivago, the anti-communism russian book earning itself a nobelprice for world literature but declined it because of pressure by the russian government at the time )... in dutch again ;) and now reading The life and strange surprizing adventures of Robinson Crusoe of york, mariner: who lived eight and twenty years all alone in an un-inhabited island on the coast of America, near the mouth of the great river Oroonouqe; having been cast on shore by shipwreck wherein all the men perished but himself with an account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by pyrates in english  :tem, brave new world will be next on my list after the medieval story 'van den vos reinaerde' ( reinaart the fox, dunno if you all-over-the-worlders know it... ), aburame, ;) ( btw, aburame as in: shino's last name? or am i remembering things wrong...)

Yep. Aburame is Shino's last name. XD - DZ

sidenote: Gotta love those old books titles!!

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
@Khaludh & Aburame --> So many "His Dark Materials" fans! :thumbs

@Khaludh -->
i) I was the one to mention the growing audience in the Harry Potter books :bow
ii)LotR? Haven't read it! I have read Silmarillion and The Hobbit though... even deciphered the dwarf runes instead of turning the page and having the code revealed (it's so funny if you think that I coudln't wait to find out if the code is given and still went to the trouble of deciphering :darn ).
iii) Dracula... So much potential, so lame ending! It seems to be that
Bram Stoker had made Dracula so strong he was practically unbeatable, so in the end he just devised a stupid plot tool of Dracula actually being an idiot and had also had him killed in less that half a page... So lame that I almost threw the book in the fireplace. Too bad I don't have a fireplace.

Currently reading Zen Buddism and Psychoanalysis and loving it! (reading in Greek and haven't read much, just started yesterday and I'm undergoin a period not favorable for reading) had it been Harry Potter 7 and I had started yesterday I'd probably be reading still

devo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Farenheit 451 and the Orwell books are also wonderful.
I just started Farenheit 451. Bradbury is simply an amazing author; his imagery is just so beautiful and perfect, some of the best I've ever read.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Mostly at Anax...

You probably all know how much i like to mention i'm dutch ( yes, i am :p ), so i would like to point this thing out about bram stoker's dracula ( one of my favourites :D ), there is this witchhunter by the name of Van Hellsing, of which even you not-dracula-readers have heard of, who, in the book, is dutch too, or at least, that's what stoker says him to be, but he in fact speaks german, like "Gott im Himmel!" and such phrases, when they need a foreign sentence once in a while, this is because stoker did not know the language, and thought dutch to be the same or similar to german, which is not the case, for the people that know the languages, this is very funny in the book :D

@devo - yeah, he's a great writer, but i remember fahrenheit being a little small book for a great classic... ( only flaw in this book but for the fact it does not have pirates in it? :eyeroll )

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece
@Khaludh --> Yeah, I thought "Dutch" was the German way to say "German" :darn Don't lynch me :blink

They call their language 'deutsch' - K

@The Rest of the World --> Dracula isn't a bad book! It's a marvelous tale with an ending as sudden as dying at the guillotine... I guess I never moved past that :eyeroll

chunks

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
njt said:
The chosen by chaim potok a story about a couple of jewish boys, one with a crazy gift of remembering everything he reads and can repeat it back to word for word. He goes off to even learn German to just to read works done by a famous german psychiatrist but I forget the name right now... you can find this book on amazon for a quarter(25 cents). I liked it because his ability to remember things sooo easily and how he could learn German in one sitting... pissed me off... hehe
Yeah I liked this book for somewhat the same reasons.

When I was younger my favourite fantasy books were Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series and his Xanth novels. Louis L'amour's Last of the Breed is also good.

Kickmeister

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Haven't anyone read Dostojevskij? Check out "Crime and Punishment", it is really great!

kadoman

Itachi's Hat Maker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Outsiders, by S.E Hinton. I've read it before when I was at school, but haven't read it for well over 10 years (er...yeah, I'm that old) and it is fantastic. I am getting so much more out of it then I did when I was a teenager (typical!).

Highly recommend it.

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
At the moment I'm reading Book 3 of Star Wars: New Jedi Order.

Yay...Star Wars rulez! :p
But I'm not too sure about this series. It's not as good as Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy...hmmz

asmo

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm currently reading "Why the West has won - Carnage and Culture from Salamis to Vietnam" by Victor Davis Hanson, one of the best historians out there. Different from the usual history books this one is actually very readable and far from boring. I can only recommend it, even for people who are usually not interested in politics. :)

I've also just ordered "300" by Frank Miller, the author of the Sin City graphic novels (awesome movie btw) :D

mercycubed

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
So many great recommendations in this thread already.
I will stick to authors that haven't been mentioned.
I recommend one book, but all of the books by these authors are great.
Harry Turtledove --Into the Darkness
Kurt Vonnegut --Slaughterhouse Five (The Children's Crusade)
Chuch Palahnuik --Fight Club

Sergei Lukyanenko...I have not read any of his books yet. But if one is ever translated into English, I sure will. He is the author of Nochnoi Dozor translated as NightWatch..

Kusachu

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
gyah...i have read most of the books mentioned on here so far!! XD

My list:
I just started reading "Lolita" for grins, and am also reading: The Communist Manifesto--and other revolutionary writings, Ten Theories of Human Nature, The Study of Human Nature, The Subversive Imagination, The Great Shark Hunt, The Blank Slate, and Sin Boldly

I have read these series: Harry Potter, LOTR,The Chronicals of Narnia, The Dark Tower, The Vampire Chronicles...and many related books...all very good

Recently read: Hagakure, Bushido, The Art of War, The Prince, Tao Te Ching, Leonardo, The Brillo Box, Air Guitar--Essays on Art and Democracy, The Book of Five Rings, Brotherhood of Corruption, The Bell Jar, Memoirs of a Geisha, 1984, The first two Vampire Hunter D novels, The DaVinci Code ...gah... more i can't remember XP all were good.

I want to read: The Never Ending story, Through the Looking Glass, and Alice in Wonderland, but don't own them T-T I just got 20,000 Legues Under the Sea XD

One of these days I'm going to get around to finishing Dante's Inferno...maybe... Sidartha, Ferinheit (sp) 451, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, The Republic, and An Open Heart (I just hate it when i start something and then jump to something else...XP)

And to think i used to hate reading...

okyatoks

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Whew!!!

You've got quite a list there, Kusachu... I've read The Prince, The Art of War, The Book of Five Rings, and just scanned through Tao Te Ching...

BTW: Have you read any Camus or Asimov books?

Tamerlane

=D
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah I love to read. :hearts

Here are some of my favorite series:

The Vampire Chronicles - Anne Rice
The Witching Hour series - Anne Rice
The Dark Tower Series - Stephen King
All books by Terry Brooks in including the Shannara series and the Landover series
The Lord of the Rings & The Silmarillion - Tolkien
The Harry Potter series - JK Rowling
Enders Game and the Enders Shadow series - Orson Scott Card
Dragonlance and the Death Gate Cycle series - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
The War of Shadow and Light series - Janny Werts

And some of the better stand alone books:

Battle Royal - Koushun Takami
Ilium and Olympos - Dan Simmons
Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
The Da Vinci Code & Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
Eragon and Eldest - Christopher Paolini
Watership Down - Richard Adams
All Creatures Great and Small (and all the books after) - James Herriot
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurty
The Outsiders - S.E Hinton
Jurassic Park, Congo, Sphere - Micheal Chrichton

.....and a lot more but that is all that I see on my bookshelves at the moment. >_>

What I am currently reading:

The entire Shanarra Series from start to finish. Since he just came out with the newer books although I read them I thought that it would be fun to start with the Sword of Shanarra and go till then end (14 books total). ^_^;

And you want to know the really sad part? I get so bored with normal books that I read fanfiction all the time too. :darn

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Tamerlane said:
Enders Game and the Enders Shadow series - Orson Scott Card
Dragonlance and the Death Gate Cycle series  - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
(...)
Watership Down - Richard Adams
:love Those are two of the best series i've read, though i do not own the Ender's Game series myself :crying
Watership down will be my next adventure

I've just read Brave New Drugs (ehmz) Sex (no) World, btw, thanks, Aburame! :D

Tamerlane

=D
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Ender Game series and the Enders Shadow series were sooo good. Orsen Scott Card just has a wonderful way of writing. I think that I liked Enders Shadow just a tiny bit better though. Poor Bean came from nothing and had so much more to loose than Ender ever did. :s

I hope you like Watership Down. That book holds a lot of good memories for me. There was just something about it that I loved. Although I have talked to a lot of people that did not like it mainly becuase they could not get over the fact that it was told from a rabbits point of view. To me I thought that made it much more interesting and unique.

You will have to tell me what you think of it when you are able to read it. :amuse

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Loved the Death Gate Cycle series :)

Tamerlane

=D
Reaction score
Country
United States
::cheers for Haplo::

I loved that series. In fact I think that I tried to do some art from it I liked it so much. I always thought that it was funny since if you read the Dragonlance series the wizard Zifnab is in there as well only he is going under the name Fizban, but the connection is not that hard to make.

I think that my favorite book of the series was Elven Star.

:amuse

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I loved 'The Hand of Chaos', the pieces of story about the elfen church where so interesting, and it had the Geg's machine! ( called Stootstamper in dutch... ). Though ofcourse, book 3 was awesome too... i remember a brilliant line from the book in dutch, it went a little like: "And the rotting cadavres, walking behing the harvester, carefully picked up nothing, just to lay it down nowhere very gently..." something like that... That was a very macabre volume :s

Though Haplo is cool, i myself am more a fan of Bane, that cheeky little b*st*rd!! :D
*notices a hint as to why he likes Kabuto... *

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
T_T

So I'm the only one into children's books?

My love for Spooksville has grown the past year, and as I've mentioned before here, I have all the books excpet for five books. Currently, I've ordered three books already off Amazon, and I'm still in search of the last two.

How saayd. :sad