Books - The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? ) | Page 62 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Books The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I'm reading a few different things at the moment:

The Wise Man Fears by Patrick Rothfuss
The Communist Hypothesis by Alain Badiou
Goliath: Life and Loathing in Greater Israel by Max Blumenthal
Comradely Greetings by Slavoj Zizek and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova
A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin (re-reading)

I'm about to get into some Emma Goldman, Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner, and Red Skin, White Masks by Glen Sean Coulthard

Kat

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
well speaking of series: I actually started *cough* The Hunger Games...

because I like Jennifer Lawrence. And I watched the first 2 movies only two weeks ago (so I missed out on the third movie, and I can't seem to find any of it online yet?) and wanted to know what happened next so instead of waiting for the third movie to be available online I guessed I could just read the damn books. -_-

I can't say I like its style yet- so far I as interested enough in the movies to finish them- I mean, it took me five times to actually finish the first movie (I always got interrupted/ never got to finishing, etc). And I'm only a few chapters into the 2nd book (skipped the first book, whatevs.)
Im reading THG 2nd book now as well! Saw all 3 movies ( the first 2 like n times lol XD) well I love it aaand I guess there is only cam version, I tried to find it today but couldn't ... actually didnt really bother to search a lot so maybe there is something xD

strixflash

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Completed reading Dune. I liked it a lot but I can't really bring myself to see it as a sci-fic classic.

Completed The Hunger Games. First novel was really good (though a ripoff of Battle Royale) but second book was totally wasted. I went with my hopes high for third book but sadly author disappointed in the final book.

Kat

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Yea I heard that the books are quite boring :XD Well I liked the first so I will see about the rest of them

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I really liked the first and second Hunger Games books.

Didn't like the third but that was mainly because it was so different from books 1 & 2. That book seemed more geared toward the sociopolitical side of the Hunger Games world. Which I think makes a lot of sense, considering it was bringing the series to a close, but I ended up feeling that the scales were tipped to far away from the character centric side of things for most of the book.

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Read The Princess Bride few days ago. Really a great read :) It has something for everyone: action, romance, betrayal, magic, revenge...

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Completed reading Dune. I liked it a lot but I can't really bring myself to see it as a sci-fic classic.
That's odd...how so?

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

I loved the Name of the Wind. It was a really well written book with a good flow and interesting quirky characters. Then came the second book and peed on the parade. I didn't find the language as appealing as in the first one and the story and particulary the character of Kvothe went so ridiculously over the top that in my opinion it lost all credibility. And on top of that, while during the book a lot happened, in the end nothing happened. I felt like the overall story didn't move an inch nor did our protagonist grow as a person. And I think thr character growth was the intended main point of the book. But to me it felt like it was just trying hard to cover every single bit of the "legendary kingkiller" rumors and gossip that was tossed in the air in the first book. It was unnecessary and made it all feel very flat. In my opinion Kvothe became a Mary Sue. Or whatever the male equivalent of that is.

The first book was great though, and the second laid at least a way interesting set ups, so I'll most likely finish the trilogy when the last part comes out.
Interesting opinion...I don't think credibility was actually a thing to be achieved, nor was character growth the main goal :D

Firstly, it was said a few times, that this is a story related by older Kvothe as he sees fit, it was an actual plot point as well...so with this first person subjectivity in mind, I actually welcomed the 'over the top' parts of the second book...for me the 2nd book was an opportunity to explore some of the rest of the world and that fantastic over the top journey was one of the highlights

I see lots of fantasy authors trying to go for measured approach to storytelling...let's give everything a purpose, let's write characters so people can relate to them or to have credibility...I'm beginning to appreciate authors who can set up situations or can put characters in a context, where they can just go all out :D...
As of my reading lately, I'm on my second part of the "Great hard Sci-fi trinity of the 80s". During the summer I read Enders Game, which was in my opinion brilliant, particulary as curious detail I loved how it basicly predicted the internet as it is now. Now I'm reading Dune. Which I know is from 60s, but it was first distributed in Finland during the 80s. So far interesting, though the terminology is a bit confusing. After that Ill start with Hyperion.

On the side as light and speedy entertainment I read The Mockingjay. It was okay, pretty well flowing youth literature, but not anything particulary interesting. My respect to the visualization of the Hunger games films raised a bar though.
Try Neuromancer as part of your 80s reading journey (if you haven't already)

---------- Post added February 08, 2015 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was February 07, 2015 at 11:54 PM ----------

Ok...

So I said I was going to start The Darkness that Comes Before...and it was an interesting read...

Well I actually finished a series of 5 books...the series is divided into 2 (a finished trilogy and an unfinished trilogy as direct sequel), which will be followed by an ending trilogy, so I recommend waiting for at least the 2nd trilogy to finish until you dive into this...so Prince of Nothing trilogy and soon to be finished Aspect-Emperor trilogy

The main reason for this is that this is one of those series that can't be appreciated that much, unless you have the bigger picture or at least a part of it...

Many times the pace is dragged down by philosophical conversations and/or ramblings of various characters, but this is actually a feature and a driving force of the series (this is confirmed by the author actually and tbh I like it too :p )...so if you like to do some mental exercise while getting your fantasy fix, then this is a good book series to read...

There are lots of personal anguishes and sufferings, and sometimes it seems that the author is concentrating on them a bit too much IMO...

The world is fresh, and has a rich history(something that I love a lot), but there's a heavy dose of inspiration from real world cultures and lots parallels are drawn with those...

I think it's a fresh take on storytelling, with some exaggeration when it comes to "the dramatic", and a rich world, with really, really weird names :D...so while it will be hard to get accustomed to, I would still recommend this series (just wait until the 2nd trilogy finishes :nod)

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Finished Logos, historical novel on the beginnings of Christianity of sorts.
Very interesting read though would suggest with reservations. I liked the dazzling tale of Jacob's life as he went through various wartime circumstances and family issues that made him grow, though also at times go through the typical for the genre doubting of his god and faith.

I didnt like the writers over detailing of buildings, people, and places that we all knew would be destroyed swiftly or had no major significance on the plot. It kind of slowed things down and really inflates the book to make me doubt it needed to be 430 pages.

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (english translations by Robin Buss. Probably the best book I have ever read. It follows the adventure of a young man who is prisoned for a crime he never committed amd how he takes revenge afterwards. I never thought I would like a historical fiction this much. Really great read.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (english translations by Robin Buss. Probably the best book I have ever read. It follows the adventure of a young man who is prisoned for a crime he never committed amd how he takes revenge afterwards. I never thought I would like a historical fiction this much. Really great read.
He is my favourite childhood author, or at least among the favourites :nod ...check out the rest of his work too (Three Musketeers, which you might be familiar with, and then 10 years after and 20 years after, along with Black Tulip)...
IMO his greatest is Monte Cristo, it is my definite favourite, but the Three Musketeers is very highly regarded too

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
im looking for a new book to read. something along the likes of a first person perspective,slice of life, caycher in the rye kind of vibe.. suggestions?

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Reading The Girl with Dragon Tattoo . Lisbeth Salander is my favorite female character of all time. Her attitude is so fun... I laughed like a madman when she took her revenge on that rapist bastard.

Of course the mystery present in novel is equally fun but Lisbeth steals the show.

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
So I recently wanted to order some books for my bookshelves in my room and didn't really know what to get, so I just googled some book lists made by people.

Of the books I ordered from thriftbooks (pretty good site. Free shipping to the US and you can usually find some $3-$4 cheap books) I've read:

Disgrace by JM Coetzee

and

Never Let Me Go by Kazuro Ishiguro

They're both extremely well written and I would definitely recommend them for anyone who is looking for an adult contemporary novel. If you're like me and really sick of young adult novels, then give them a try.

I'll talk briefly about Never Let me Go, since I enjoyed it more of the two. I can't really talk about the plot, since it would be very spoiler-ific, but I'll give some general things. First of all, it's an unexpected sci-fi and a tragic love story. So if you're sick of happy endings, then you might also give this one a try. (Actually both of these books have extremely unhappy endings, so it goes for either one). The writing is so natural and a very realistic and lovely narrative by the main character. I don't always like books told in first person, but this author does it flawlessly.

I've recently found out that it's also a movie!! So I'll definitely watch that soon and see how it is.

Also just recently bought the song that it's named after. XD

Last edited by a moderator:

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Completed Millennium triology by Stieg Larsson. First book (The Girl with Dragon Tattoo) is really great with the old serial killer mystery, corporate scams and a kickass heroine. Lisbeth is an amazing character and her personality is really solid. No bullshit moral dilemma or anything. She takes maatters in her own hand and the scene when she takes revenge on her guardian is mind blowing.

But as what usually happens the sequels are rather disappointing. Book 2 is fine as we get to know about Lisbeth's past but neverthless dragged out. Book 3 is totally disappointing and predictable. We know pretty much everything what would happen at the end from start but instead of creating some good suspense or new mystery or something author just waste pages on boring police meetings, etc. True police meetings are important in a crime novel but they really don't work here.

Overall first book is really worth reading but sadly sequels are really disappointing.

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
As always, the book was much better than the movie. The movie always loses 80% of the meaning.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I finished reading Orfeo and Ancillary Justice couple days ago. Both novels are good, and I enjoyed reading them. I am thinking about picking up London Falling but it seems the reviews are polarizing, so anyone knows if it is any good?

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Finished White Plague

Starts slow but took off insanely fast. After about 100 pages in it became one of those books that you can't put down. The scientific mystery behind the nature of the disease afflicting the trapped marines, as well as the race against time to reach them before the Chinese made it a better than average science x military story.

I grew to love the characters. The friendship between the main character and his college friend as well as the new characters involved in his life on this mission made it a pleasant read. I also enjoyed how romance wasn't thrust upon us however it did go back to the usual divorced lead that these stories love to have. It would be interesting if we did have diverse leads in these stories.

In any case, White Plague is an excellent story that is relevant for the times. The northern pacific and melting ice could truly harbor new diseases.

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I'm looking for some good novels where protagonist is transfered to a new world/dimension. It can be fantasy or sci-fic. I guess Chronicles of Thomas Convenant or Narnia fits but I hated Narnia (it was full of preachy stuff ). Amber Series also count but it too got dragged out later on...

Secondly I'm looking for time travel novels. The only time travel books I have read are Outlander (which got too dragged out in sequels, and I didn't liked it much to begin with), The Time Traveller's Wife, The Anubis Gate and The Time Machine

Thanks.

Last edited:

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Secondly I'm looking for time travel novels. The only time travel books I have read are Outlander and The Time Machine.
Try the Anubis Gates. My memory is kinda hazy because I read it a long time ago, but I still remember it was an entertaining read. I think it was printed in 1980s, so if you're looking for something recent, it might not fulfill your criteria.

---------- Post added April 03, 2015 at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was March 16, 2015 at 07:33 AM ----------

Station Eleven is a really good book, I recommend it to everyone who loves post-apocalyptic stories and hoping for a fresh idea on the premise.