The HisshouBuraiKen thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The HisshouBuraiKen thread

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Resume
Handles: HisshouBuraiKen
Name: Matt
Date Of Birth: Friday, November 13, 1981
Nationality: American
Currently living in: Orlando, FL
Languages spoken: English(Native), Japanese (High Level)
Color: Lime Green
Currently Accepting requests for: Paid projects
Always Accepting: Cash, beef, boobies, pie

Japanese history

Japanese studies:
Started studying in sophomore year of college (2001/2002) and continued for three years. Was #1 in all classes I took. :ossu

Time spent in Japan:
Kyoto: 2 months in the summer of 2003 on a study abroad program.
Saitama: 1 year as a JET.

Japanese tests passed:
None. Made one attempt at JLPT level 2 a year ago and got a 58%. There are no test sites in my area but I could pass it now, and I'm studying & using Level 1 tests from previous years to get myself to that level.

Manga history

Trends started: Was the first person I know to start publicly posting Naruto translations for everyone to see and enjoy on a regular basis.
Was the first person to have Hidan swear like a sailor.

Prides self on: My loose translation style that makes dialogue sound like native, natural English.

Manga translated:
Naruto: Index (Almost every chapter since 237)
Gantz: Index (From 200-ish to 285)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Index (From chapter 62-present)
Yuu Yuu Hakusho: Index (From 15-10 to 19-8, which finished the series.)
Abara (Entire Series)

Commissions:
Hayate no Gotoku Volume 7
Bleach Databook pages 33-93
Shion no Ou (10-15)
Mushishi 12-13
Kanojo no Carrera Volume 1
Queen (3)

Anime History:
Currently working with Dattebayo as an emergency translator, translation checker/editor and song translator.
Have translated or helped with every OP and ED for Shippuuden and Bleach since Feb. 2006
Translated various episodes of Bleach and Naruto Shippuuden
Translated Bleach: Memories of Nobody

Manga read in Japanese (in volumes / tankoubon):
Naruto: 1-current
Gantz: 1-current
Full Metal Alchemist: 1-current
GTO: 1-25 (Finished)
Shounan Jun'ai Gumi: 1-6
Yuu Yuu Hakusho: 1-19 (Finished)
Groove Adventure Rave: 12-35 (Finished)
Flame of Recca: 1-33 (Finished)
Death Note: 1-13 (Finished)
Dragon Ball: 1-40 (Finished)
Abara: 1-2 (Finished)
Tokkou: 1-3 (Finished)
Hayate the Combat Butler: 1-7
Shion no Ou: 1-3
Mushishi: 1-3
My Balls (1-Present)

Total chapters translated: Hunnerds.

Currently translating:
Naruto
Yuu Yuu Hakusho (COMPLETE!)
Gantz
Fullmetal Alchemist

Favorite genre:
Seinen (Action / comedy)

Other Info

Can play Dan better than njt in:
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter.

Can not play Dan better than njt in:
Street Fighter Alpha 3

Current availability: If it's not something I read normally or a small, one shot comic, it'll cost ya. Seriously, I have a lot of shit to do and I want a Guitar Hero controller.

Etc:
Happily married.
Work as a .NET web programmer for the US Navy.
Can bend my elbows pretty far in the wrong direction.
Can mod your Wii.
Cosplay photo albums: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/m424/

Last edited:

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
What got you interested in learning Japanese? What are you going to do with this ability in the long run? And are you really evil?

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
When do u start learning japanese? How can u keep telling yourself that u can indeed master it? Not like me who failed miserably in learning japanese. :(

Also, hi. :glomp

Chiru

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a second year Japanese student. Umm...do things start to come more naturally soon? I'm having troubles. lol xD P.S. You rox0rs. :d

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gold Knight: I started learning Japanese in my sophomore year in college, 2002. I started because I'd been into anime for YEARS (like, 8 at that point), I was sick of French, and suddenly there was a lightbulb...nay, atomic explosion, in my head, and I realized I COULD LEARN JAPANESE. I signed up and took to it immediately, but I've always been good at language. I don't really know if I'll ever do anything with it professionally, but learning it has always been a labor of love for me, and that's enough. And yes, I am ebil to the core.

Eileen: Hi! :glomp I don't believe I will ever truly master japanese, after watching my sensei (also an american guy) still work hard to learn new things after having studied for 10 years. But that's the fun part, I love learning new things and making new discoveries. Even now, I still notice things from old games I played/anime I watched and realized some hidden jokes or the meanings of things. I keep telling myself, "There's still more to learn", not "I can master this language!"

Chiru: Some people pick up on language more easily than others, but nothing will "come to you" unless you put work in.
It will be a while and take some real-life experience before your japanese will evolve beyond what you learned in the book. The more you use it, the more natural it will become, so make some japanese friends, read japanese sites and message boards (2ch.net), and make it yours!

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
That's a cool philosophy you have there, Hisshou.

New questions.

Do you practice Japanese with a good friend? Or family? Anybody in particular?

What other manga do you read / anime do you watch?

Do you enjoy video games very much? (Random, I know.)

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gold Knight said:
That's a cool philosophy you have there, Hisshou.
Yeah, I'm pretty awesome.  (If there were a Strong Bad smiley, it would go here)

Gold Knight said:
New questions.

Do you practice Japanese with a good friend? Or family? Anybody in particular?

What other manga do you read / anime do you watch?

Do you enjoy video games very much? (Random, I know.)
I practice japanese by myself mostly nowadays, listening to podcasts, reading out loud, and sometimes bsing with my friends who also study it.

I read Rave, FMA, Gantz, and Naruto.  I think Rave's almost over though, I need to get the latest volumes.  I'm also enthralled with Samurai Champloo because the art is very unique and cool, and I haven't read NEAR as much Kuromati High School as I'd like.

Yes. Yes I do.  Two good, recent examples of how much video games are part of my life:
1) I hacked the firmware on my FREE IPOD (The link in my sig from NF was for real) to make everything green and insert Luigi graphics wherever they fit.

2) I'm sporting some nasty cuts on my knuckles from punching the shit out of my wall after the AI beat my ass in Soul Calibur 3 for the 8 millionth time. 
started with the Atari 2600 when I was about 4.  Haven't stopped since.

bebong

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
My questions hisshouBuraiKen

1.how long do you learn Japanese

2. What difficulties did you find in learning Jap??

3. Do you enjoy being a translator of japanese mangas??

Thanks, I'm in thye process of learning jap now, so pls assist me :)

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Bebong:

1) Coming up on 5 years since I started.
2) Doing my kanji homework. I didn't take kanji seriously until I went to Japan for the first time. My advice to you is never slack off in any one area! There are 5 parts of learning a foreidn language, and those are:
Reading, writing, speaking, listening, and thinking. Don't neglect any one area or you'll pay for it later :P
3) If I didn't, would I continue doing it for free every week? :) Yes, I enjoy it a lot. It's like when you see something funny on TV and HAVE to share it with everyone. Manga is like that for me, only when I translate people actually pay attention.

Zenith

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
You read RAVE?! Wow..it's an awesome manga. Okay now for my question:
Where do you get it from? Online or plain ol paperback?

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Yakushi Kabuto said:
Hello hisshouburaiken
I believe you are the best translator that graced nfan forums

that's why I'd like to ask you is you could translate c247_p13 for there are a lot of debate about this page
a very accurate translation is required for the proof kabuto is a jinchuuriki could lie on that page :tem
I'm not hissho but this was my translation...
The one I did back in the day anyways before we knew about jinchuuriki
http://www.udanstraight.com/article.php?story=20050217093254811

Anyways--- here's what I wrote when I wrote it
And I'm sure it's correct (it could be reworded a bit better, but meh- this is how it is when I posted it....)
But for the most part it's correct and ya It's talking about Kabuto but not kabuto as a jinchuuriki but as a spy at orochimaru's place.
============start=============
そうか・・・
Ah, right...

おろち丸んとこにやったやつよりこっちが先か・・・うん
Before we go and get the guy that we have at Orochimaru's place, let's get this one first. Yeah...

Note "that guy" is refering to someone that they used their jutsu on at Orochimaru's place.

仕方無ぇだろうが・・・
That can't be helped

術をかけた後どうなるかなんて俺も知らん
I don't even know what will happen after I use my Jutsu.

その袋だけで大丈夫なのか?
You sure you'll be fine with just that bag?

相手は"人柱力"を使うんだぜ・・・
After all our opponet can use "Jinchuuriki"

*Note* It means power of human sacrifice, or so I think, /me thanks Kishimoto for the made up words. Anyways, When I thought about what that could mean, it hit me. He's obviously talking about Gaara, and the "sacrifice" that he can use, which is his mother that is in the sand that he uses as his weapon. Just my two cents on it, but I think it makes sense that way.

なんせ相手は・・・
any how, our opponet is

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Yakushi Kabuto said:
Thanks NTJ :)
but isn't a sentense missing?
the one in which deidara refers to a "traitor"
Well not really missing, when I posted that it was corrections of the chapter done by inane, so I only added things that were mistranslated...

Nihongaeri

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
njt said:
相手は"人柱力"を使うんだぜ・・・
After all our opponet can use "Jinchuuriki"

*Note* It means power of human sacrifice, or so I think, /me thanks Kishimoto for the made up words.
This looks like a semi-good place for me to mention it, but about a couple months ago it occurred to me that 人柱力 "jinchuuriki" is probably based off of the word 神通力 "jintsuuriki" (also "jinzuuriki"), which basically means "supernatural power" (a somewhat more literal translation of the characters may be "power granted through the gods").

However, I still think the choice of changing of the first two characters to 人柱 "hitobashira" (read as "jinchuu" using on-yomi) is meant to represent "human sacrifice" in a more metaphorical sense. That is Gaara, from his very birth, was treated not as a human but as a weapon, and thus his "life" was "sacrificed". At least that's how I see it...

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Zenith: Yep, I've read the whole series, although it looks like it's just about over now (Haru and Lucia are having their final battle as we speak). I bought everything up to volume 34 while I was in japan, and now I get it from amazon.co.jp.

Kabuto: Why thank you!

I agree with what NHG has said on the significance of 人柱 being read as jinchuu instead of hitobashira.  Where I think the 力 (power) comes in refers not to the demon's abilities itself, but more of the idea that the village wanted to harness it.  Therefore, the long interperetation of Jinchuuriki was "A human who was sacrificed so that others could gain power", where the "others" would be the hidden village/ninja community who provided the vessel.

Also, I can't really "translate" something that's already in english.  I'm out of town, so I don't have access to the raw chapter.  I think I can remember the missing lines, though.

Sasori & Deidara said:
Deidara:
Oh yeah...
We should take care of business here before we go after the guy at Orochimaru's...
Since he shit his pants and leaked information about us...

Sasori:
I did everything I could...
But even I can't be sure exactly what will happen when I use my jutsu.
(reading this, I think you may be right about the "amnesia" jutsu, NHG)

You sure you can manage with just that bag?
After all, our opponent uses the Jinchuuriki.
(This could refer to either the sand village itself using Gaara, who can fully control Shukaku, or Gaara himself.  This'd mean that "Jinchuuriki" can be used to refer to the demon and its powers itself, or the host human).

Deidara:
All of my jutsu are artistic, but I prepared my specialty for this.
The target is...

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Sometimes I think Viz has it easy, because they know what happens so they can avoid controversial stuff like that.

That was single-handedly the most confusing page I have ever read in any Naruto chapter. I hadn't thought about it in relation to Kabuto at all until now, but yeah, it makes so much more sense now. Thanks for bringing it up, Yakushi Kabuto.

Saithan

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Denmark
happy new year Hisshou... btw do you read D.gray-man ? I was thinking it would be awesome if you'd take time to translate a chapter of that series as well, it's quite good.

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Viz has it easy because they just do a terrible job and don't stop to think about preserving the original spirit of the series.

I do not read D-Gray man, but I'd be more than happy to if you point me to somewhere where I can download the entire thing :)

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
D. Gray Man can be downloaded at StopTazmo.com - it's pretty good, I recommend it.

And I have to say I agree with you, though they have had their moments, Viz does a shoddy job of staying true to the characters' original dialogue. The English dub is doing a much better job of that.

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Damn, this thing sank to the very bottom? My bad!

Here's a little more about me:

I work as a web/software programmer for the US Navy (I'm not enlisted or anything though...none o that for me)
I'm getting married May 6
I live in Orlando
I'm watching The Simpsons

If that's not enough for ya feel free to ask me something or strike up a conversation about computer stuff or whatever!

Hermie

vs. The World.
Reaction score
Country
Norway
Congrats on the marriage!

What do you want to see happen in the Naruto manga next?