Discussion - The Onmyoji Arc - Why was it cut off? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Onmyoji Arc - Why was it cut off?

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
First off, I'm sorry if the title of this thread might sound weird. I really couldn't come up with something else :s

So anyway, am I the only one who feels disappointed that the big Youkai vs Onmyoji arc was just cut off to make way for the Hagoromo-kitsune arc? I mean at the end of the Shikoku arc, Kana's brother Ryuuji and Mamiru showed up, and the manga heavily hinted at there being a confrontation between both groups soon. I think I remember the manga saying "Finally! The long awaited battle between Youkai and Onmyoji begins!" or something along those lines. I was excited due to the past arcs focusing on battles against Youkai, and that now the antagonists would be human.

Now don't get me wrong, the Hagoromo-kitsune arc is definitely the best thing thats happened to Nurarihyon no Mago, but it is my opinion that it just showed up too fast. I was hoping for a confrontation between the two groups, when suddenly we get a flashback to when Nurarihyon met Rikuo's grandmother and the kitsune. I kind of disliked how Hagoromo-kitsune was introduced. To me it just seemed forced.

I like how this arc deviated from shounen stereotypes by introducing a new villain so that both opposing parties would be forced to join together, but I think things should've gone differently. In my opinion, there should've been an arc focused entirely on the Youkai/Onmyoji conflict, in which the kitsune would be hinted at throughout the arc, and then end with a battle between Rikuo and Ryuuji. Afterwards Hagoromo-kitsune's subordinates would appear, indicating that she is still alive, and then we would get the flashback.

Anyway my point is that the Onmyoji seemed to have been forgotten. Here I was happy to see some antagonists that weren't human, but we just had to have a Youkai antagonist again. Oh well, at least this arc has been great :p.

EDIT: Technically this can still be called the Onmyoji arc seeing as we're dealing with Abe no Seimei and all :D!

Last edited:

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Please register to see the content of this post.

recure

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Please register to see the content of this post.