Life - The Pet/Animal Thread! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Life The Pet/Animal Thread!

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Three guesses who here will most likely love this thread!

Anyway, I guess I'm just feeling bored today. So here you guys go... this is a pic of my cat, Topper. :thumbs

Anyone else?

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Re: The Pet Thread!

GK... you r u l e!! Topper is awesome!! As soon as my father comes back I'll try to dig up some pics of my dead cat Σουρδουμουγδουλίτσα (my mom named her :sweat ). Normally I'd be getting another pet, but ever since my cat died I couldn't imagine of keeping any animals indoors... they are meant to live out there in the open! In our previous neighboorhood we fed 24 cats, among them 16 regulars and around 8 that would enter the house at least once a day :tem However, no one cat was kept inside the house, they just came in when they felt like it :tem

I'll edit the post as soon as I find pics of my cat :tem

Martin

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score

thihi fluffy cat xD

I'll try and see if i can find a picture of my dog later on :P

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Anax said:
Topper is awesome!! As soon as my father comes back I'll try to dig up some pics of my dead cat Σουρδουμουγδουλίτσα (my mom named her)
I LoL'ed at that XD

What does Σουρδουμουγδουλίτσα mean! And 24 cats??? Whoa!

Anyway, looking forward to pics of your pets, Anax and Martin. ;)

Meijin no Kori

I have a cat named Purr. But I don't have the recources to get a picture of her uploaded right now. If I do manage to get a picture of her on my computer, I'll let you know.

KOLE

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Serbia

I don't have any pictures of them yet, but I have two japanese quail's :)

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada

*cough*

>___>

We use to have 5 fishes. And me and my brother named them after Harry Potter characters. *dies from embarrasment* But as time went by, and we bought more fishes, we decided to name them nicknames from the type of fish they were. XD

We had:
2 gold fishes *both died*
2 Guramis (sp?)*one died*
2 Angel Fishes*both died and I loved them the most :crying*
2 Janitor fishes *the tiny one died T_T*
2 guppies *both died and theywere so cute*
2 fishes, of which type I cannot remember. (read: my brother is the fishy expert) *both died too*

Yes. Basically, we only have two fishes left. TT__________TT

No, we weren't ignorant of them. It's just that they were sensitive to certain stuff like, spray can smells and all. You know, bad air. Also, the Gold Fish died due to over feeding. TT______TT It was soo sayd. Because the Angel Fish was trying to pick it's dead body up the next day.

I'm so emo about our dead fishes. *blows nose*

Also, over the years, we seem to always help pigeons hurt on the street and we bring them home. The first one died the next day because it was cold in our balcony TT______TT. The second one was sent free once we fixed it's wings. ^_^

And the third one, was okay the next day, so we sent it free. Then suddenly, the next day, it appeared on our balcony again! :nuts We fed it for five days, until it never came back....

Okay, back to happy stuff.

I'm not posting pictures of my fishes. I'm going to post pics of Herbie and Pepsi. ^_^ Two cats from the UK. They belong to our relatives there. ^_^

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

DZ, that's a soap opera-like life for pets you got there ^_^;;

My dad also had fishes - quite a number of different varieties too. We used to have two aquariums, one for small fishes and one for really big fishes - including a couple of angelfish that grew to be HUGE. He'd read up on how to take care of fishes and he did an excellent job - most of these fish didn't die for many years. He took very good care of the aquariums and never forgot to feed them, etc.

However when I was dealing with college and wasn't able to help, my dad had been getting old and tired and one time he took too long on cleaning the aquariums and most of the fishes died in the barrel, including the angelfish (though they've both lived a looooong happy life, I guess). Ever since, he's only worried about the big aquarium ( we put the smaller one away ) and we don't have as many fishes as we used to before. We do have a new pair of angelfish, though. ^_^

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece

Ok, um recent investigation showed that any pics of my dead cat have been scanned and the scanned isn't functioning quite well at the time. However, I'd like to share with you the pictures of my aunt's cats! They are so cute, and one of them is a tabby with mixed/ashy color that I just love (aun't call him "Riri" which kinda means less than "dattebayo").

@GK --> Σουρδουμουγδουλίτσα is first of all a hypochoristic (yup, that'd be the Greek word, hope you understand it :sweat ) the name normally would be: Σουρδουμούγδουλη, which means "clumsy" (at least the way Thalia said it, and she's the only person I've heard use the word :sweat  ). The origins of the word elude me, thouh quite possibly not even the best dictionary has such a word... I don't even think it's Greek, but oh, well...

Pronounciations:
Σουρδουμουγδουλίτσα -> Sur-thoo-moo-w'thoo-lee-cha (n. female)
Σουρδουμούγδουλη -> Sur-thoo-moo-w'thoo-lee (adj. can be used as a n., female)

attention

the [w'thoo] is supposed to sound like "w" in "wave" or "world" combined with "th" in "there" and "those", like [w][th] and then [oo], I just put the apostrophe there to make it easier for your eyes/brains (cultural gap et cetera).

Last note: all [oo], {u}, [ou] sound like {u} in "put", which means they are not elongated, I just used [oo] over {u} in some cases so as not to confuse you further... Sheesh, it's a weird word in Greek and English alike :tem

@GK --> When I and a lot of hearing people I know of (I'm afraid to say "all hearing people") see a word in an alphabet they don't know, they cannot read it because they don't know the sound of it and that kind of makes things complicated for their brain (since as I have said before, when hearing people see a word they actually hear their own voice say it in their head). So, what's the case for you seeing Σουρδουμουγδουλίτσα and not knowing it?

EDIT/ Major typo up there, the pics have not been scanned!

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Surthoomoow'thoolee ;D

That seems to have a catty sound to it, just by looking at it...

Anax, initially as seeing a letter in a foreign alphabet that I didn't know - I was so used to my own alphabet that it'd be something of a shock to see something different from the 26 letters, and my brain wouldn't accept understanding it.

But after going through college and also recently learning a few basic words in foreign languages from friends that involved different letters from English, (especially Portuguese, Norwegian and Finnish words from friends), and also after learning a little bit of Korean and Japanese, I've gotten used to it.

I think most deaf people are actually under such pressure to understand all the underlying sounds of our language and getting familiar with them, that if we ever had reason to learn and understand foreign letters, we'd probably be more up to the challenge. But I guess it'd depend on the person and how well their brain can process languages (some are better at it than others, of course).

Anyway, why don't you create a Greek Language thread in Languages forum, Anax? You sound like you'd be a good teacher and as an art history major one of the few languages I'd really be anxious in learning is Greek, too. At least as far as reading it (since I don't think I'll ever be able to pronounciate MY own language perfectly, much less yours...)

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Dragonzair said:
*cough*

>___>

We use to have 5 fishes. And me and my brother named them after Harry Potter characters. *dies from embarrasment* But as time went by, and we bought more fishes, we decided to name them nicknames from the type of fish they were. XD

We had:
2 gold fishes *both died*
2 Guramis (sp?)*one died*
2 Angel Fishes*both died and I loved them the most :crying*
2 Janitor fishes *the tiny one died T_T*
2 guppies *both died and theywere so cute*
2 fishes, of which type I cannot remember. (read: my brother is the fishy expert) *both died too*

Yes. Basically, we only have two fishes left. TT__________TT

:blink Dude, you surely have no luck with your pets :darn Poor one!

I've got a cat which is called Molly. At the moment she's lying on my lap and purrs. :) Well, isn't that typical?
I posted a pic in the hangout thread already but well :sweatdrop... here it is again.
The ultimate photo

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Miso said:
:blink Dude, you surely have no luck with your pets :darn Poor one!

I've got a cat which is called Molly. At the moment she's lying on my lap and purrs. :) Well, isn't that typical?
I posted a pic in the hangout thread already but well :sweatdrop... here it is again.
The ultimate photo
Great cat. :hug I never really like pets but some of the pets really rule.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Yes, your cat rocks, Miso :D

bebong

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score

I got hamsters.....LOL they're *cute*

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

eileenting88 said:
Great cat. :hug I never really like pets but some of the pets really rule.
Gold Knight said:
Yes, your cat rocks, Miso :D
*blush thx much! I'll tell her! :tem

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece

Hamsters? I used to have two, named them Chip and Dale :eyeroll
That was a long time ago and they gave birth to dozens and dozens but in the end only one (of the very first offspring too) was a) kept by my parents b) treated the way it should be (i.e. unleased upon the house for some hours every night and c) the most loved (we used to call him "Speedy" :D

bebong

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score

So they're dead??? Chip and Dale...LOL a fitting name

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Hamster yaoi? Sheesh... XD

Well, one must've been a female to give birth to baby hamsters. :amuse

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece

For one, I was too young to even consider yaoi, though I kinda revolted at first since the female got to be named Dale... The funny thing is, one of the first offspring was called "Chipuka", which in Greek is a female hypochoristic and an attempt at assimilating the foreign name "Chip". Generally, adding an "a" in the end should have made the name female (and awful sounding as well) though with wiser addition of the other letters it was both better sounding and a hypocoristic (which people like anyway, for friends, familly and pets).