The Pocketmofo Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Pocketmofo Thread

pocketmofo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everybody. NJT was kind enough to bestow the position of translator on me so I figured I'd start my own little Q&A thread. I don't post at MH too often, but there are a lot of amazing translators here (a few of whom I've had the pleasure of "working" with in the past) so I hope I can help out a bit with my posts from time to time.

For now though, let's do a little introduction:

Japanese-American, born in the USA lived in Japan on and off for a few years (studying Japanese for 6+ years, passed the JLPT level 2 in 2002 and still waiting to take the JLPT level 1 or JETRO test or whatever I can get time off of work to take...)

Member of an unmentionable scanslation team and an occasional translator of Bleach (usually only if Hiken or Djudge don't translate it first or if I feel that a super-literal translation of the text is required).

If you all have any questions, feel free to ask (or PM me if you have other translation or accounting questions)!

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Awesome! Great to have you around. So when you say japanese-american does that mean you are half? or just japanese born in america?

What's your favorite series?

Where in japan did you live?

これからもよろしくお願いします。(・_・)(._.)

pocketmofo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
The first set of questions!

I am, in fact, only a quarter Japanese.

I lived in Nagoya for a year and then on and off for another year or so. So if you chat at me in Nagoya/Aichi dialect don't think I won't understand (looks at Oceanizer).
The same goes for Osaka dialect (as I am a pretty big 漫才 fan).

As for my favorite series, I'd have to say Bleach at the moment. I do still enjoy Naruto and One Piece though (and of course some old ジョジョの冒険).

よろしく(夜露死苦?)お願いします。

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
pocketmofo said:
よろしく(夜露死苦?)お願いします。
↑(▼▼メ)ヤクザのつもり?(笑)

awesome, Nagoya and Aichi are cool places... though I've never been, just heard good things :).

I however don't have much of a dialect... I live in Gunma, and so.... my Japanese is quite close to 標準語(being close to 東京 and all) aside from some things that I didn't realize were 群馬弁 :p.

I can't stand ジョジョ(if the pictures weren't so......lame :p)
and I'm a pretty big 漫才 fan :D. I watch 漫才 on tv whenever I get a chance so my 大阪弁 isn't too bad, when it comes to listening that is ;). can't speak it at all....

So is your mother half japanese?

pocketmofo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, my mother is half.

My wife and I enjoy watching Japanese TV quite a bit (thank goodness for bittorrent since we are not living in Japan right now). As far as 漫才コンビ go, I'm all about 麒麟(キリン)、笑い飯、スピードワゴン, 南海キャンディーズ and フットボールアワー(does this mean that all my favorite manzai groups are from the 2003 M-1 Grand Prix?!). I, of course, love any and all shows with ダウンタウン, めちゃイケのメンバー達, とんねるず, and 島田伸介. I gotta vote for すべらない話, LINCOLN, and めちゃイケ as my favorite shows though (see the recent escapades of 油谷さん or 小豆洗い for goodness).

I was not a big fan of Jojo either until a friend of mine described the whole series to me (thereby forcing me to by 60+ volumes of the series). It's a series so bizarre and ridiculous that you really get hooked.

oceanizer

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
[me=ocean]waves at pocket.[/me]

Long time no see :P

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
pocketmofo said:
Yeah, my mother is half.

My wife and I enjoy watching Japanese TV quite a bit (thank goodness for bittorrent since we are not living in Japan right now). As far as 漫才コンビ go, I'm all about 麒麟(キリン)、笑い飯、スピードワゴン, 南海キャンディーズ and フットボールアワー(does this mean that all my favorite manzai groups are from the 2003 M-1 Grand Prix?!). I, of course, love any and all shows with ダウンタウン, めちゃイケのメンバー達, とんねるず, and 島田伸介. I gotta vote for すべらない話, LINCOLN, and めちゃイケ as my favorite shows though (see the recent escapades of 油谷さん or 小豆洗い for goodness).

I was not a big fan of Jojo either until a friend of mine described the whole series to me (thereby forcing me to by 60+ volumes of the series). It's a series so bizarre and ridiculous that you really get hooked.
awesome, the reason I ask is my daughter is half, so yeah- was curious :p hehe.
You're married?! welcome to the club :).
I'll try and check out those shows + talents and I'm a fan of ダウンタウン too, but I prefered them back when they did アホアホマン... ah- those were the days...

I know the story sounds awesome, and I even played the ps game for it... it's just I can't stand the pictures give me a book damn it (knowing my luck there probably is one :p hehe)

pocketmofo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I do enjoy watching the occasional ごっつええ感じ episode for some old Downtown fun. I am a big fan of shows where comedians just talk and talk though (in particular すべらない話, Downtown Deluxe and 松本伸介) since they are all great, funny storytellers. Hell, even Matsumoto's books are excellent if you can find them cheap.

Great to see you around, Ocean! Great work on all your translations as always!

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Awesome to have you here at MH, man. And it's good to have a back-up Bleach translator in case Djudge should ever want to take a vacation to the Bahamas or something ^^

So I guess you're a Bleach fan, then: what drew you to the manga?

pocketmofo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I was in Japan back when the series was around volume 8 or 9. At the time I'd buy JUMP weekly primarily for Naruto but on the Toriyama World forums I saw that they were working on a newish series called BLEACH. I checked out their scan of the first volume so I went out and bought every volume I could find. From then on I would read BLEACH, Naruto, One Piece, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure every week in JUMP.

The art just keeps getting better and better and the characters and humor really set it apart for me (Kubo clearly loves his Japanese comedy so I think that's what really draws me in the most).

I didn't really start translating Bleach until around chapter 140 or so when the major fights started going down (with Zaraki against Tousen and Komamura and Yoruichi versus SoiFong). There were a lot of great translators at that time so I would usually only post a translation if nobody else had gotten around to posting one yet. I'm known for being pretty anal about translations (particularly odd technique and Zanpakutou names) so hopefully people will read and enjoy them.

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Gold Knight said:
Awesome to have you here at MH, man. And it's good to have a back-up Bleach translator in case Djudge should ever want to take a vacation to the Bahamas or something ^^

So I guess you're a Bleach fan, then: what drew you to the manga?
I second that....its really cool to have you around here =)

moridin

Reaction score
*bumps*

I don't really have any questions, I just thought I'd say thanks for the time you take to translate spoilers, summaries and scripts for us every week. I know bleach communities everywhere are thankful for you ^__^

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes. What Mori says.

We love you <3

Thanks for the translations of Bleach every week.

pocketmofo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am glad that you all enjoy my Bleach translations. I hope to continue translating weekly Bleach well into the future. Maybe I'll even translate some other series if one that interests me comes along.

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Reason series I'm hooked on that you might find interesting...
Mr. Fullswing
Samurai deeper kyo
666 Satan

(well have been reading them a lot lately~ :p)
so thought I'd recommend em ;).

Not for translations sake per-say just you know...

lately haven't been watching much tv at all :s. But I do like that kendo (girl-guy) his stories are always funny.. he even released a cd... not really interested in buying it :p just thought JP people sure like to get famous and then try to release music....

pocketmofo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll have to check out some 666 Satan. I have heard good things and it seems to be growing in popularity so I might just have to read and catch up.

If anyone finds "Teyande~ Baby" though, I will be more than happy to translate it. Soul of a yakuza guy in the body of a newborn...sounds good, right? Right?

I was unable to watch Japanese TV for a while there as well, but now I'm back in the swing of things. There's a torrent floating around for an old Tobukusuri special (the show that the majority of the MechaIke crew were in more than 10 years ago) so I downloaded that and have been laughing pretty hard.

Do we have a Japanese comedy thread around here? We really could use one (since that HG thread seems to be on its last legs).

goofy_man

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
1. What do you think a crossover team-up between Naruto, Luffy and Ichigo (all in their current manga chapter states*) would be like?
*=i.e., how strong they are at the end of the most recent chapter of their respective series

2. What are your top 5 anime/manga bad-asses?
3. What are your top 5 anime/manga hot babes?
4. What are your top 5 anime/manga heroes?
5. What are your top 5 anime/manga characters that need to be killed already, but are still alive thanks to plot/fanbase reasons?

pocketmofo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
1. Not too sure.

2. In no particular order: Weather Report (Jojo part 6), Kumon Ryuu (Ranma 1/2), Dark Schneider (BASTARD!), (more to come later)...

3. Don't really know of any.

4. Doraemon, Anpanman, (more to come later)...

5. Pretty much everyone in Naruto and Bleach should have died at least once by now, but that's okay by me.

goofy_man

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
How would you go about translating the hypothetical Naruto manga chapter where Sasuke confesses to all of Konoha that he is gay, even going so far as to make out with Orochimaru to prove that fact?
How much booze and related illegal substances would you need to translate said chapter?

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
pocketmofo said:
I'll have to check out some 666 Satan. I have heard good things and it seems to be growing in popularity so I might just have to read and catch up.

If anyone finds "Teyande~ Baby" though, I will be more than happy to translate it. Soul of a yakuza guy in the body of a newborn...sounds good, right? Right?

I was unable to watch Japanese TV for a while there as well, but now I'm back in the swing of things. There's a torrent floating around for an old Tobukusuri special (the show that the majority of the MechaIke crew were in more than 10 years ago) so I downloaded that and have been laughing pretty hard.

Do we have a Japanese comedy thread around here? We really could use one (since that HG thread seems to be on its last legs).
haha hmm feel free to create a japanese comedy thread... but I'm thinking j-tv would work too. That way I could talk about Ainori too >.> Anyways-- Satan isn't bad but SDK is really good stuff :). The more I read the more I'm enjoying it :D