Discussion - The Purpose of Zoro | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Purpose of Zoro

Are Zoro's progress and purpose bound to remain in Luffy's shadow or he will have a unique moment?

• Yes, Zoro will remain in Luffy's shadow.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • No, Zoro will have his 5 minutes.

Votes: 23 85.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nik87

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
The story that we all know and follow began a little earlier. It began with Oda's Monsters and it's main character Ryuma, the samurai of Wano country. Some say that it was exactly Ryuma's character that gave the foundation to the characters of Luffy and Zoro, one personality split among two characters. Regardless if that is true or not, it's undeniable that Luffy and Zoro are quite similar personalities. There are differences of course, one is silly while the other is rather quite serious, the combat style is completely different, one likes meat while the other likes booze...
Back to their similarities and what really makes them look like one personality, sometimes mirroring each other.

When it comes to differences I named some already but worth pointing out are the easy-going attitude vs serious attitude from Water 7 speech about Usopp.

When they first met Zoro pointed out a difference in will power.

My point is, considering all these similarities(and differences), what has Oda in store for Zoro in the overall story. It's a character he introduced in chapter 3 which got several plot elements lurking in the background of the story yet it feels so sidelined at this point. Has Oda forgotten about Zoro and diminished his part in the story because he focused too much on Luffy's adventures or he does it intentionally up to this point to make the crucial moment more special?
There are too many questions that need an answer regarding Zoro.

Zoro is the only character who was confronted with his end game goal so early, no character received such a treatment. As early as East Blue's Baratie, Zoro got to face the man standing at the end of his road, the unclimbable mountain which he still didn't climb up almost 900 chapters later.

A plot element made for Zoro specifically, the curse of Kitetsu swords. Around 830+ chapters later we still don't know more than we knew back then and only a few chapters ago we saw a second Kitetsu sword. Where is Oda going with this curse? Is it going to be a possible power-up, is he going after getting Zoro all 3 cursed swords? Shusui is Wano's treasure and he may return it at some point in exchange for the Kitetsu of the second generation that Luffy carried around. Wado Ichimonji is a special sword with a plot armor way too great to be replaced, at least until he becomes the greatest swordsman in the world. At that point, Wano Ichimonji may be stored somewhere or returned to Kuina's grave while Zoro would replace it with Kitetsu of the first generation. If he indeed obtains 3 Kitetsu swords that opens up more questions which I won't ask now.

Zoro is the only character in the OP universe whose fighting spirit manifested and took a form of Demon God Asura. It's a mysterious ability which Zoro only tapped into for short moments of time while finishing Kaku from the CP9 and PX-4(?) from Sentoumaru's Pacifista squad. That's all we got from it, one strike against 2 opponents.
Then with a reunion on Sabaody 2 years later we got another mystery regarding Zoro - the closed eye and how much, 9(?) years later or 330+ chapters, we still have not a single clue about what the closed eye is about.

Now about Zoro's portrayal... Always looking scary and menacing when the fights get serious. From the moment of his introduction or even the chapter before he was called a demonic beast with intimidating aura. His attacks have an animal theme and often have a reference about buddhism or Buddhist hells, his Asura speech mentions endless suffering and no desire for anything else which goes along with his combat style since he often takes loads of damage, looking back at the chest slash from Mihawk and the bloody shredding he endured at Thriller Bark. Often described as a beast even by equal opponents, even forcing back the forgotten memories of a dead samurai or making Monet so scared that she was unable to move.

Where is this train, that opens up more questions than it answers, going? Is the destination of many reveals Wanokuni itself? The land of Samurai, the land of many beasts and the king of beasts - Kaido himself, the land of Kitetsu swordsmiths certainly looks like part of the story that may give us many answers without opening many more. However, will it? Or we are going to get another - "Nothing Happened"?

What purpose do you fellow readers see for Zoro?

Pirate Queen

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
You summed up almost all of the reasons why Zoro deserves CoC Haki.

The fact that it hasn't manifested yet is frustrating. I can't think of any character more worthy that doesnt already have it.

You make great points. For me? Zoro's purpose is face value. WSS, I dont think Oda has any further ulterior motives for him.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
You summed up almost all of the reasons why Zoro deserves CoC Haki.

The fact that it hasn't manifested yet is frustrating. I can't think of any character more worthy that doesnt already have it.

You make great points. For me? Zoro's purpose is face value. WSS, I dont think Oda has any further ulterior motives for him.
See him unlocking at same time as Sanji as maybe they go on to meet their captain when they attack the festival.

afromarco005

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
See him unlocking at same time as Sanji as maybe they go on to meet their captain when they attack the festival.
Please stop bringing sanji in every zoro thread.

In my opinion as vice captain Zoro has showed his loyalty and had many great moments, he is the kind of guy who gets the job done. He is the one who keeps the straw hat crew's pride

Now his purpose in the story if you ask me is very simple. He is destined for greatness, he is the new Rayleigh, the pirate king's right hand man and the man who will become the world strongest swordsman.

During this arc we will see some of zoro's best moments in the manga I believe, Oda has teased us for too long now on zoro's real potential, including reaching and surpassing his limits against a calamity or tag team kaido himself.
I expect some bushido moments and poesy too, samurai were not just fighters but they had a philosophy, they drew calligraphy, they had a code. There is a lot to learn for Zoro in wano and for his character to devellop I just hope that Oda does not let luffy steal all the spotlight again

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Please stop bringing sanji in every zoro thread.

In my opinion as vice captain Zoro has showed his loyalty and had many great moments, he is the kind of guy who gets the job done. He is the one who keeps the straw hat crew's pride

Now his purpose in the story if you ask me is very simple. He is destined for greatness, he is the new Rayleigh, the pirate king's right hand man and the man who will become the world strongest swordsman.

During this arc we will see some of zoro's best moments in the manga I believe, Oda has teased us for too long now on zoro's real potential, including reaching and surpassing his limits against a calamity or tag team kaido himself.
I expect some bushido moments and poesy too, samurai were not just fighters but they had a philosophy, they drew calligraphy, they had a code. There is a lot to learn for Zoro in wano and for his character to devellop I just hope that Oda does not let luffy steal all the spotlight again
Saying potentially could happen. Just because this thread is to talk Zoro doesn't mean he do things solo by himself. He still work with the others. Gotta calm down when other characters are mention to work with or help him.

As for his potential, have to see. I feel Oda is working more on his character than fighting right now. As so far his side and fighting isn't worthwhile compare to the other stuff.

Despite his position, he not very good 'character' in terms in development and see that in glimpses in Wano. Think Zoro be on soul searching journey which leads to his defeat to someone strong and break one of his swords. This can lead to certain routes as perhaps that someone took Kuina's sword results him being forced betray Strawhats against them temporarily (I see lot of theories of people saying he leave the crew or betray them) before needing help on his side or to get revenge and go after the person who stole it into being a redemption for him (Can happen in the other route too) while gaining new sword in the process of character development.

He then return in time to the festival after defeating that someone with Kuina's sword and new sword (Luffy's sword) and that where he have true fights at.

Last edited:

nik87

Banned
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
My questions are about his portrayal as a demonic beast, a demon in human form, the evil aura, the curse of Kitetsu swords, the closed eye, the Asura spirit manifestation, being so similar to Luffy but sidelined...

I don't know where Oda is going with it, as the story goes on he keeps throwing more questions about Zoro without answering anything and OP is apparently 80% done. Hopefully, Wano is the setting where he starts answering those questions, it's about time.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
He's never been in anyone's shadow though. If anything, when people saw Zoro in action, they either thought he was the captain or saw Luffy in a better light as the captain of a monster. Like, how can you consider Zoro being in Luffy's shadow when he and Luffy were the only ones to have bounties for a while, be considered part of Supernovas, and is generally recognized as monstrous, whether by people who know of him or saw him in action for the first time?

Plus, Zoro is usually the clutch player, he's probably saved more people more often than any other Straw Hats. Zoro's main role is to fight and protect his crew, and he's done that exceptionally well. I can see Zoro learning how to use Color of the Conqueror as well, and he's probably gonna be better than Luffy at scaring people shitless since he does that anyway without using haki.

nik87

Banned
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
He's never been in anyone's shadow though.
What I mean with that is that he is limited to Luffy's actions, only being able to perform the best as Luffy or worse.
Never allowed to take on the main bad guy because that's Luffy's job, never giving Zoro a chance to outperform him and explore/develop his own abilities to the fullest. There are even plot elements keeping Zoro in check such as handicaps from injuries(Arlong park arc and Sabaody arc).

The story is way too centered around Luffy, we saw Impel Down, Marineford, WCI, Dressrosa. Wano's prison is the first moment in the story when Luffy is being sidelined. I hope Oda keeps Luffy on the side to allow other characters to get their 5 minutes of necessary panel time.
There are too many unanswered elements around Zoro to just keep going like so far, Zoro needs an arc centered around him to explore them all.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Oh. Well, that's because Luffy's the captain. Zoro did manage to one-shot Hodi, even though Hodi is Luffy's opponent. Zoro has also tried to take on the main bad guy, like Enel, but he failed because he didn't have a rubber body. Personally, I think Zoro's proven to be on par with Luffy, if not just a bit weaker.

Well, Luffy is the main character after all, he's the captain. I wouldn't mind an arc centered around Zoro, and this arc might be a great way to do it because of the swordsmen.

afromarco005

Reaction score
Country
France
Maybe Zoro's demonic aura is a manifestation of his hidden personality, something inside he is trying to control but it gets more and more violent and bloodthirsty.
Maybe the two personalities are the reason why he has no sense of direction one telling him to go up and the other down.

Or maybe he is from a clan of people with an affinity with demons and beasts he unconsioucly developped techniques based on his childhood memories, after all we know nothing of zoro's origins before kuina.

About being in luffy's shadow, I somewhat agree but one piece is the story of how Luffy becomes the pirate king and finds one piece. It is to be expected that luffy will steal all the spotlight even if it would be nice to have the crewmates shine a little bit more especially post timeskip where only Luffy, Brooke and Sanji (Nami?) got any kind of developpement, it gets even worse with Oda introducing thousands of new characters ex in dressrossa...

Red fox san

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Saying potentially could happen. Just because this thread is to talk Zoro doesn't mean he do things solo by himself. He still work with the others. Gotta calm down when other characters are mention to work with or help him.

As for his potential, have to see. I feel Oda is working more on his character than fighting right now. As so far his side and fighting isn't worthwhile compare to the other stuff.

Despite his position, he not very good 'character' in terms in development and see that in glimpses in Wano. Think Zoro be on soul searching journey which leads to his defeat to someone strong and break one of his swords. This can lead to certain routes as perhaps that someone took Kuina's sword results him being forced betray Strawhats against them temporarily (I see lot of theories of people saying he leave the crew or betray them) before needing help on his side or to get revenge and go after the person who stole it into being a redemption for him (Can happen in the other route too) while gaining new sword in the process of character development.

He then return in time to the festival after defeating that someone with Kuina's sword and new sword (Luffy's sword) and that where he have true fights at.
Dude lol you are cray cray, Zoro is the definition of a loyal soldier to his captain, he understands what it means to be a pirate and furthermore he protects everyone when it's needed. Luffy and zoro are on the same level to me, they see things others don't, example with blackbeard persona. So please don't, I highly rate zolo and luffy, as two kings.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
Zoro is my man! He is DEFINITELY NOT not in anyone's shadow. If anything, he is the fucking grim reaper that comes and eliminates your ass and your shadow with it. To be honest, Beside Luffy's battles, Zoro's fights are the next best to reread. This dude is a beast and he just so happen to be cool with this other crazyass monster that we call Luffy. He is only by Luffy's side because of pure respect. With that respect comes trust but also expectations such as his comment on Luffy using CoC to KO half of Hordy's men. He can very well not have gave Luffy his respect and loyalty and be a beast in someone else's crew or just stay a solo bounty hunter. I do acknowledge that Luffy is probably (a little?) stronger than Zoro but that doesn't make this mofo any less dangerous. In every fight that Luffy fights, I can definitely swap his place with Zoro and have Zoro eventually win those fights minus pre time skip Enel for obvious reasons. Now it'd be unfair if I didn't also put Luffy in place for Zoro in all of his fights. I can see Luffy taking them all down too. I guess I am trying to say they are both secret weapons that'd you'd unleash on the battlefield to turn the tide of a battle but in their own ways. Apples and Oranges. (idk if I'd trust either for espionage missions though....I lied, I do know, I won't want them to do any spy missions lol)

I hope this Arc give us some answers on this guy. Maaaan, Oda teased us in...was it Luffy's flashback about himself, Sabo, and Ace? I think that was when we got a glimpse of Zoro's past when he was a kid and that was it. I want roots. I want geneology! lol. I want him to explain what happened to his eye. Luffy shows us flashbacks of his time with Rayleigh, it's time for the Zoro to show us more. I seriously hope he still has an eye in there and is just keeping his eyes closed to handicap himself. There's so much mystery and just this aura of badassery about him that it is hard to say that he is in anyone's shadow. He is not chasing Luffy. As far as we were ever told, the only thing he ultimately gives a shit about is be the strongest swordsman in the world meaning Mihawk's ass is the one he need to slice eventually.

Now for these hatingass Sanji fans: Sanji is in the same boat. That guy aint in nobody's shadow either. Sure he baked a cake that made an indestructible fatass queen bitch go blissfully stupid and maybe to some people that wasn't that impressive but it did stop big mom from her chase whereas Gear 4 did nothing. Also, it'd suck to go on voyages eating shit. Having Chef Ramsey on your boat seems beneficial even if he isn't capable of kicking people. Although I'm sure Chef Ramsey would love to kick people....but I must digress. Every Strawhat is in no one's shadow. They all got their roles to fill and one can argue that all their roles are just as important as the next. No doctor? You may not know you got scurvies and other illnesses. No Cryptohistorian? You can't read secret messages hahahahaha lmao this is actually very important in the OP world damn. The only fucking person known to be able to read that shit is Robin. That's kind of fucked up. She better not go extinct lol. No chef? You are eating salty jerky and other preserved shit. No Shipwright? No Navigator? I can go on but I need to sleep.... Good night peoples.

Last edited:

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dude lol you are cray cray, Zoro is the definition of a loyal soldier to his captain, he understands what it means to be a pirate and furthermore he protects everyone when it's needed. Luffy and zoro are on the same level to me, they see things others don't, example with blackbeard persona. So please don't, I highly rate zolo and luffy, as two kings.
That doesn't mean his character is good though. Not much compare to others. That's why Oda looking at character right now than him fighting.

Also Zoro is not even Luffy's lvl. Please don't bandwagon on that. He hasn't proven anything to be at Luffy's lvl. He is always under him as shown even in data cards. Both have trust and loyalty, but that goes with a lot of the crew members. Also bad example using Blackbeard for this just so you know.

Also not the only one to know what it means to be a pirate as the others as well. He still need to stand out with his character more is what I am saying.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Zoro is my man! He is DEFINITELY NOT not in anyone's shadow. If anything, he is the fucking grim reaper that comes and eliminates your ass and your shadow with it. To be honest, Beside Luffy's battles, Zoro's fights are the next best to reread. This dude is a beast and he just so happen to be cool with this other crazyass monster that we call Luffy. He is only by Luffy's side because of pure respect. With that respect comes trust but also expectations such as his comment on Luffy using CoC to KO half of Hordy's men. He can very well not have gave Luffy his respect and loyalty and be a beast in someone else's crew or just stay a solo bounty hunter. I do acknowledge that Luffy is probably (a little?) stronger than Zoro but that doesn't make this mofo any less dangerous. In every fight that Luffy fights, I can definitely swap his place with Zoro and have Zoro eventually win those fights minus pre time skip Enel for obvious reasons. Now it'd be unfair if I didn't also put Luffy in place for Zoro in all of his fights. I can see Luffy taking them all down too. I guess I am trying to say they are both secret weapons that'd you'd unleash on the battlefield to turn the tide of a battle but in their own ways. Apples and Oranges. (idk if I'd trust either for espionage missions though....I lied, I do know, I won't want them to do any spy missions lol)

I hope this Arc give us some answers on this guy. Maaaan, Oda teased us in...was it Luffy's flashback about himself, Sabo, and Ace? I think that was when we got a glimpse of Zoro's past when he was a kid and that was it. I want roots. I want geneology! lol. I want him to explain what happened to his eye. Luffy shows us flashbacks of his time with Rayleigh, it's time for the Zoro to show us more. I seriously hope he still has an eye in there and is just keeping his eyes closed to handicap himself. There's so much mystery and just this aura of badassery about him that it is hard to say that he is in anyone's shadow. He is not chasing Luffy. As far as we were ever told, the only thing he ultimately gives a shit about is be the strongest swordsman in the world meaning Mihawk's ass is the one he need to slice eventually.

Now for these hatingass Sanji fans: Sanji is in the same boat. That guy aint in nobody's shadow either. Sure he baked a cake that made an indestructible fatass queen bitch go blissfully stupid and maybe to some people that wasn't that impressive but it did stop big mom from her chase whereas Gear 4 did nothing. Also, it'd suck to go on voyages eating shit. Having Chef Ramsey on your boat seems beneficial even if he isn't capable of kicking people. Although I'm sure Chef Ramsey would love to kick people....but I must digress. Every Strawhat is in no one's shadow. They all got their roles to fill and one can argue that all their roles are just as important as the next. No doctor? You may not know you got scurvies and other illnesses. No Cryptohistorian? You can't read secret messages hahahahaha lmao this is actually very important in the OP world damn. The only fucking person known to be able to read that shit is Robin. That's kind of fucked up. She better not go extinct lol. No chef? You are eating salty jerky and other preserved shit. No Shipwright? No Navigator? I can go on but I need to sleep.... Good night peoples.
Wow, this is one of the best posts I've seen in recent times out of all these scrub posts, especially in regards to who's better or stronger. Wish fans understood this, no Straw Hat is in anyone's shadow, and we've seen them all prove they're their own people, from Usopp to Luffy. If any one of the crew is missing, then you don't have the Straw Hats anymore. :(

Though if anything, Luffy is more likely to be in Zoro's shadow than the other way around. You can argue it's because Zoro's usually serious while Luffy's too laidback, but this is usually because of the power that Zoro shows. And on top of that, Zoro was still standing and was still conscious despite taking in Luffy's pain and exhaustion on top of his own, and Luffy was tired and in enough pain to have become unconscious.

afromarco005

Reaction score
Country
France
Wow, this is one of the best posts I've seen in recent times out of all these scrub posts, especially in regards to who's better or stronger. Wish fans understood this, no Straw Hat is in anyone's shadow, and we've seen them all prove they're their own people, from Usopp to Luffy. If any one of the crew is missing, then you don't have the Straw Hats anymore. :(

Though if anything, Luffy is more likely to be in Zoro's shadow than the other way around. You can argue it's because Zoro's usually serious while Luffy's too laidback, but this is usually because of the power that Zoro shows. And on top of that, Zoro was still standing and was still conscious despite taking in Luffy's pain and exhaustion on top of his own, and Luffy was tired and in enough pain to have become unconscious.
Not sure if you are serious

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I am. The characters themselves have wondered if Zoro was the captain or how strong Luffy is for Zoro to choose to be under him.

nik87

Banned
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
And this chapter leaves the first hint about Zoro's connection to Wanokuni.
However, I don't ever remember seeing Zoro using that shout Snatch but it's not something that would get attention.
Kiku is very displeased about it tho, it definitely has some bad history related to it.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Why would Zoro shout "snatch?" He said it's a shout one shouts to muster courage when one's heart is lacking/quivering. Zoro as far as we know has never been in that situation, and his flashback hasn't shown him to be in a situation where he had to yell that.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
And on top of that, Zoro was still standing and was still conscious despite taking in Luffy's pain and exhaustion on top of his own, and Luffy was tired and in enough pain to have become unconscious.

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
True character development will be Sanji and Zoro putting aside their grudge and fighting together. I wonder what sort of super-powered booze Sanji could make to power up Zoro further.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Why would Zoro shout "snatch?" He said it's a shout one shouts to muster courage when one's heart is lacking/quivering. Zoro as far as we know has never been in that situation, and his flashback hasn't shown him to be in a situation where he had to yell that.
The reader has only known Zoro as an adult for 99.99% of his time on-panel. He probably struggled through those awkward middle-school years after his friend's death.

Status
Not open for further replies.