Games - The StarCraft 2 Thread (also includes original version and expansion packs) | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games The StarCraft 2 Thread (also includes original version and expansion packs)

Which side do you look forward the most in Starcraft II?

• Protoss

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Terran

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Zerg

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Re: The StarCraft 2 Thread (also includes original vesion and expansion packs)

I finished SC2 campaign in bruta; with just mercenaries...they are really useful, too bad the single player doesn't allow it...
@kkck...I liked the protoss side-quest the most...it gave a good twist to the overall story...we will definitely see some of those events from zerg point of view so it will be cool...

Anyways...does anyone have some expectations from the expansions? Like in gameplay or new units or something? There are quite a few developments in map and unit control, compared to Brood, but can such things be more developed?

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Bene you're on european server, aren't you? Wanna play some matches these days? :D
My account is Teekessel.793

I think there was a short display of one or two new units. One of them was a zerg units with a bunker (yeah, really, a terran bunker) on it's back which can burrow to allow the bunker to attack.
Looks like a silly version of the good old Lurker.

Omg the Intel Extreme Masters tournament just got totally out of control and time-frame, after three players of group B had a three-way-tie :D
Socke (Ger), Sjow (Swe) and Squirtle (Kor) were tied so they had to play tie-breaker matches (each playing one match against each other), which ALWAYS resulted in ties, too, because everyone always lost and won one match each.
Ultimately the Korean won in the fifth round (!) of tie breakers...

Was really epic, had 25.500 viewers on the ESL stream :D
Blai and me had a lot of fun with that :>

Last edited:

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Indeed. I've followed IEM for some years, as well as OSL, MSL, GSL etc but this must have been the most intense, and insane group rounds I've ever seen. I was litterary blown away at the amount of times they kept coming back for another tie-break.

In the end we had about five tie breaks I think before Squirtle "evolved into water-turtle" *lols* and took the third place for advancement. Such a majestic play he advanced with though!

Would have been major fun to see players like Slayer to be there today but I blame his stupidity, amongst many other, for the -09 scandal.

Anyway, I expected stronger play from Sjow. Yeah it sounds weird because he was pulling some insane micro'ing, but I still did. He fininshed really good in the last major tournaments and even won the IEM. But I guess it can't be helped. His strong side is the TvT and he ended up tie-breaking against two P players and he faced korean Zergs in the group round so not much to do there since that's his worst match-up.

However, MorroW is still there (advanced from group A iirc) and he's playing mOOn-GLaDe tomorrow for a semi-final spot and I can't wait to see that game! IdrA vs Squirtle is a game I can survive missing, watch the replay instead but even so - it's going to be a good game. Not that MorroW is my fav. Swede (Jinro is) but he's the only Swede left so I need to keep my hopes up! :thumbs

Oh, and not to forget, Dreamhack Summer and the super-awesome MGL starts in April in Dallas and then Columbus!

Can't wait to see players such as Mvp again!

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

What difficulty did you play campaign in? Although it doesn't really matter actually, people told me that mass marine-medic worked in Brutal difficulty, too. I played it on brutal with the "normal" way, lots of siege tanks and stuff.
The Multiplayer maps seem absolutely fine by now. Of course it depends what kind of map you preferr. Steppes of War is really too small for much of tactics, but Xel'Naga caverns is pretty nice, and Shakuras Plateau is a really huge map where you can take a lot of expansions.

@ Benelori: Yeah I followed most of GSL, and currently IEM are going on at Cebit!
http://tv.esl.eu/de/
SC2 is live on Event Stream 2 (in english) and (GER) Studio 2.

Are there any players who play SC2 on european server here? I guess kkck will have his on american server? :(
I didn't play in brutal, I just played in hard difficulty at most. The only mission where I did not make it with the marine/med combo was the very last one though. Kerrigan would just mow any number of marines easily lol. I even had 10 tanks defending a side and kerrigan would just use a spell and kill most of them. The side which kerrigan did not attack was extremely easy to defend though, a few tanks and bunkers really can defend anything lol. I am not currently playing starcraft II though. I had my fill of the campaign and the multiplayers and uninstalled the game from my computer because it took too much time. I also did not like the custom maps very much. Very few maps actually had people playing them at all and it always showed the same maps... I was expecting something like warcraft III as far as custom games go but it seems even starcraft I had better ones.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Event stream 2 shows Idra vs Squirtle now (quarter finals of IEM).

@kkck: Well SC2 isn't out for a long time yet. Both WC3 and SC:BW took their time until the "genius" funmaps were released, too.
SC2 already has quite nice ones, such as colonial line wars, battlecraft, Star Battle, PsychoMC's Last Stand and some more.

About the infinite three way tie:

Last edited:

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Haha, that picture cracked me up yesterday and it sure cracked me up today. Such an awesome, spot-on picture!

On a different note, shame that Jinro didn't go further, but he's already qual for next since he got to ro16 and he was the only non-korean to adv. from the group stage. And iirc he's in the MLG along with sjow (not sure), and I know for sure they're in the DH Summer tournament so there's still plenty of chances to grab some silverware this summer \o/

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Yeah it certainly is, but he's still super successful in Korea!

Seems like both swedes today got pwned (Morrow 1:3 Moonglade) :D

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

You really have to rub that one in my face? MorroW's first and fourth game was really good, unlucky in the fourth and maybe it was a bad move to save the larvas for the hydras in the fourth game (which spawned ~15secs too late) but anyway.

Tomorrow's the second day of the code a ro16 in the GSL, I'm not super-psyched but it's still going to be interesting to see Noblesse and Rain. However, those two games will probably clash with the World Cup Semi's tomorrow and I'm more interested in those so I'll prolly run the GSL muted in the background.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Event stream 2 shows Idra vs Squirtle now (quarter finals of IEM).

@kkck: Well SC2 isn't out for a long time yet. Both WC3 and SC:BW took their time until the "genius" funmaps were released, too.
SC2 already has quite nice ones, such as colonial line wars, battlecraft, Star Battle, PsychoMC's Last Stand and some more.
Well, it hasn't been that short a time either.... I really expected some more elaborated stuff lol, specially if this games takes after a game which already had some very good custom maps. I guess another of my main issues with the multiplayer was that the custom maps never had any variation, it was always the same maps with the exact same order. I also never found a proper dbz map lol.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

TSL 3 Announced! Huge international tournament featuring a lot of the best!
Matches will start on 19th of March. Exact dates will be announced later on.
News, Brackets, Matches: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=198668
First round matches:
My personal highlight matches - The highlights amongst a tournament of highlights!
TLO vs Nada
Liquid.Jinro vs Mouz.Morrow
mouz. Hasu vs mouz.Huk
IM.Nestea vs Goody
Also, curious about: Mondragon (who plays vs Zeerax). Idra and some EG guys announced that Mondragon could become an absolute beast internationally after training, and that Mondragon trained a lot in last time, so he might start an amazing comeback!
Idra went as far as saying that Mondragon might easily dominate the foreigner (=non-Korean) scene!

Some guy made a nice German fan banner for the German players :D

Last edited:

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Waaaah, Jinro vs MorroW in the first game!

Also, idra vs tlo and mvp vs adelscott :wtf

SANK YUUU FOR DIS BRACKET SHARING KOPTER!!!!

Do you know if there'll be any good os for this?

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Waaaah, Jinro vs MorroW in the first game!

Also, idra vs tlo and mvp vs adelscott :wtf

SANK YUUU FOR DIS BRACKET SHARING KOPTER!!!!

Do you know if there'll be any good os for this?
Hm? "os" for what, and in what meaning for "os"? :confused
Operating System for SC2? I've no idea if that's what you mean, but it runs smooth on windows 7 :XD
Idra won't play against TLO but against coL.Cruncher. I have no idea how Cruncher could get into such a tournament to be honest, he's definitly the player I have heard the fewest about. Can't imagine him standing a chance.

Otherwise, I share your enthusiasm about this tournament, it's so huge and, especially great, with a lot of matches of Koreans vs foreign players!

[mod=blai]os = online streaming :thumbs[/mod]
[mod=Roflkopt3r]Of course there will be streams, but obviously they aren't known yet since not even the exact dates of the matches are known :p[/mod]

Omg I just defeated a 4-Gate with 3 Gate Starport, my most happy Protoss-victory ever :D

You should definitly watch this: Destiny Switches to Terran
Background info: They're talking about TeamLiquid forums (SC/SC2 esports forum) and members in the first minute. Keep watching until the point at 3:30! :D

For all beginners: This is another video of Destiny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1UN98vOKuk
It's about the simple idea: Whoever is lower than platinum league, doesn't need to learn any tactics or something of that but ONLY your micro/macro! (micro: controlling your units well to use them to their best effect; macro: ability of building a lot of workers and spedning all ressources to build up huge armies)
This means: In Silver or Gold league it is absolutely unimportant which units you build, whether you scout your opponent well or not, but only that you build enough workers, production buildings and units!

About Kelly not commentating for GOM-TV anymore:
http://memegenerator.net/Kelly-Milkies

Statement of GOM-TV:
Some people have claimed we are running a 'beta' test for casters in Code A. This in a sense is true. This is the final procedure for selecting casters for Code A. We need to test them out in actual matches and see the reaction. We plan to try out few more casters over next few seasons. So if one caster stops showing up after a season it does not mean he or she is fired. It just means it's next candidate's turn for the try out. I know from my experience that everytime we make some changes people freak out but without changes there can be no improvement.

Last edited:

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Yesh, but she's going back to Singapore. She didn't want to state the reason why but apparently she and GOMtv agreed not to re-hire her. Hopefully we'll see day9 and tasteless in cA.

However, even if I dislike kelly's accent she always raised some valid points during her commentaries and I honestly disliked to my bones the way the SC2 community treated her. Sure, her accent was annoying, but the amount of trolling and hate she received is really unforgivable from a community.

Obviously she was disliked. But to outright bash her and mock her like the community did (all the way up to the commentators and staff themselves) is nothing I approve of.

Instead of giving her lessons in pronunciation or to give her constructive criticism they mocked her.

Ah well, I hope the new try-outs are either extraordinary or have a flawless accent........

(memes amused me though)

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Ah well, I hope the new try-outs are either extraordinary or have a flawless accent........

(memes amused me though)
I don't care that much about accent usually - some are very funny or likeable, too - but she was just totally annoying :notrust

Perhaps some ppl here already know them, the NASL (North American Star League) application videos of the pros!
Overview on TL
Moman's famous application
EG.Grubby Application
"Brother Mack" :XD

Team Liquid Star League RO32 Broadcast Schedule
They're running in prime time for European viewers! <3

Last edited:

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Weekend evenings :lovebunny

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Today at 19:00 CET it will begin!
http://www.ustream.tv/teamliquidtv

Matches for Today (times in CET):
Tyler vs Strelok 19:00
SEn vs Fenix 20:00
FruitDealer vs Thorzain 21:00
Boxer vs Nightend 22:00

Commentators for this evening will be Day9 and Chill.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Quite impressive results so far. Fruitdealer getting totally owned, HasuObs defeating HuK and Jinro losing to Morrow o_O
However, MC vs Ciara was such a one sided massacre xD

Goody vs Nestea on 26th, TLO vs NaDa on 27th - impressive opponents the Germans got there :oh
Collection of Goody images: He's famous for playing mech (Tank-Thor-Hellion) and nothing else, against everyone and always playing 30-minute-matches because he turtles so hard :D
Also famous for always having long, long production queues (for all noobs: You shouldn't have that, you should always spend all your ressources without queueing up) which are now known as "Goody queues".

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

I really can't imagine myself watching a starcraft championship game. Seems so... boring lol. I enjoy playing the game (I suck at it though) but watching a championship kinda borders in the pointless area for me.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I really can't imagine myself watching a starcraft championship game. Seems so... boring lol. I enjoy playing the game (I suck at it though) but watching a championship kinda borders in the pointless area for me.
Yeah it seems like that in the beginning, but once you're in the zone of becoming ambitious about playing better and winning against other players it's just a small step to downloading some replays of good players, and then start following the scene :amuse

Another way getting hooked to it is just seeing someone beeing incredibly good and noticing how extremely good pros can be compared to oneself, often in movies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_kyunyzfUU

Just made it to Masters League! :wtf
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/399165/1/Teekessel/

Last edited: