TV - The Television Show Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV The Television Show Thread

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Well, I don't watch a LOT of T.V., but I used to be a big fan of comedies like Simpsons, Seinfield, Frasier and Friends. (But that was awhile ago.)

I also enjoyed Quantum Leap, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: DS9 and Kung Fu (starring David Carradine ).

Then college came around and I barely had time for TV anymore except football games - BUT I did start enjoying reality shows like Survivor ( I've watched every show ) and The Amazing Race ( I sort started liking it when a couple from Survivor competed on that show also. )

Lost is another show I like to watch occasionally, though I haven't seen every episode and I'm mainly just waiting to get a season box set. There is also another new show these days I enjoy whenever I get to watch it - it's called House, M.D. ( it's about an antisocial doctor who's a genius at solving difficult cases about diseases. )

Sometimes I'll watch Monk and C.S.I. and Law & Order with my dad, though I'm not particularly fond of any one of these three.

Anyway, what T.V. shows do you enjoy?

devo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Re: The Television Show Thread!

My favorite television show of all time is Mystery Science Theater 3000. The basic premise is, a man and two robots are trapped in space and forced by their captor to watch the worst movies ever made. They deal with this torture by riffing on the terrible films, making jokes throughout its entire running length. It's kinda hard to describe, but I'd reccommend everyone watch at least one episode of what I feel to be the funniest television show ever made.

What I regularly watch that's currently running...

- Law & Order (regular and SVU)
- The West Wing
- Project Runway
- Futurama
- Family Guy
- Basically all of Adult Swim's original programming
- The Amazing Race

That's all I can think of at the moment.

KaiserRyuujin

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I myself dont watch alot of TV anymore. I just kind of wait for the shows to come out on DVD and just rent them check them out and hey who knows, just might purchase. But I did watch Quantum Leap, loved that too, back when it first was out, kicked butt, though I was pretty tired by time it came on but, now Netflix rules! Also watched Family Guy, cant beat it. Also Futurama, I wish was still going instead of Simpsons, Futurama is alot beter then the Simpsons, but hopefully in time it'll get picked back up much like Family Guy. The A-Team was great too, reminds me, gotta rent that too hee hee. Oh another great show I watched when they had it on a Local TV Station was Red Dwarf, great british sci-fi comedy and more. Another new show that I got into probably because I am a Sethite is Robot Chicken being Seth Greens project and rules because then Seth Macfarlane does voices too, and getting the Seths together is a golden combination! :thumbs[br]Posted at: March 07, 2006, 11:45:30 PM_________________________________________________
devo said:
My favorite television show of all time is Mystery Science Theater 3000. The basic premise is, a man and two robots are trapped in space and forced by their captor to watch the worst movies ever made. They deal with this torture by riffing on the terrible films, making jokes throughout its entire running length. It's kinda hard to describe, but I'd reccommend everyone watch at least one episode of what I feel to be the funniest television show ever made
Aw! I forgot that one! Stupid me!! >_< Been aquiring the original Episodes and watched since Season 1 and now up to Season 4 part 2. The Experiment is called "The Rebel Set" I can only wonder what it will hold heh, infact I think I'll go watch it heh heh. I wish MST3K would be back, rip on the new movies ha ha, I already did my own parody going after Lord of the Rings and Freddy vs Jason(this one was freakin easy) and did it in their style. Because Im sorry every movie can be ripped on and just joke with, high budget or not, because its just fun and even the big budget films have really lame moments that make you wonder what the director or writers were smoking when they wrote it. :smile-big Oh, I also plan a MST3K against Star Wars New Trilogy heh heh.

devo

Reaction score

Futurama is alot beter then the Simpsons, but hopefully in time it'll get picked back up much like Family Guy.
So far there's no word of it getting picked back up, but there are direct-to-DVD movies in production as we speak. Check it out.

http://www.billywest.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1685&PN=1&TPN=4

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Not the most official source, I'll admit, but I'm 99.999 percent sure he's telling the truth.

Hermie

vs. The World.
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Norway

Futurama, Simpsons, Family Guy, Friends, That 70's Show, Lost and Prison Break are all necessary components for the world to go around.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

CSI: (vegas) > CSI: NY > CSI: Miami ( though i watch them all )

Furthermore... Lost and The 4400 ( i know i know )

Friends... occasionally... but not anymore the last six months...

And for startrek... the one i really loved as a little kid was 'the next generation', the one i loved as a less little kid was 'voyager', the one that never entertained me even was 'deep space nine' ( sorry phil :p ) and i have not watched the rest ( apart from a few old series' ones... )

I never watched the simpsons ( or futurama ), but for a few fortunate times, and it hurts not to...

I watch and like sex Rome, and no, not for that reason.

KaiserRyuujin

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

devo said:
So far there's no word of it getting picked back up, but there are direct-to-DVD movies in production as we speak. Check it out.

http://www.billywest.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1685&PN=1&TPN=4

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Not the most official source, I'll admit, but I'm 99.999 percent sure he's telling the truth.
Hmmm well, that same thing happened with Family Guy. There was the straight to DVD movie and the new seasons and yippy yahoo. Who knows, maybe Futurama is enduring the same bit, they get a DVD movie, that'll sit, then maybe who knows new season and bam along with the DVD being released. But just with time to see.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Khaludh said:
And for startrek... the one i really loved as a little kid was 'the next generation', the one i loved as a less little kid was 'voyager', the one that never entertained me even was 'deep space nine' ( sorry phil :p ) and i have not watched the rest ( apart from a few old series' ones... )
Actually no problem - I actually enjoyed Next Generation a lot more than DS9 myself... though I couldn't get into Voyager.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Well, apart from the fact they didn't have a Picard, Wolff or Ricker ( or what's-his-name-again ) , i just loved the characters in Voyager...

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I think it was probably just the story itself - how the crew in Voyager was "lost in space" that kind of turned me off - gave me a sense of homesickness even. I was more used to Star Trek shows where the crew at the very least seemed to have an idea of where "home" was.

walkie

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey

i do not watch tv series much and in turkey american series are not very popular (except simpsons and south park and smthng like that, world-wide famous ones)

but i like watching gilmore girls  :blink...does this show still continus?? anyone knows??

besides of G.G. i like scraps and malcomn in the middle also, and no need to mention about simpsons :)

the only time i could watch family guy was, when i was in usa...i liked that also but i can not watch it any more..may be i should get a cable tv :D

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Only get cable TV if you watch a lot of TV, Walkie.. otherwise you'd just be better off buying DVD sets, 'cause they're making DVDs for everything now.

I have cable TV, but that's just because of football. (Though next year ESPN won't have football games anymore so I may just do away with it when I go to graduate school.)

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

Well I like Stargate quite a lot. I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned here already as I've met a few members watching it as well. Anax and Miso for example. Only two seasons of SG! were shown on television so I reverted to my net computer. Since then I like StarGate Atlantis even better than original SG1.

At times I watch CSI, but as I watch TV rarely, I've misssed most episodes. Agree with Khal. Las Vegas is better than Maiami. I like the actors of CSI Las Vegas more. Dunno about NY, haven't seen.

South Park rocked at the beginning, before it became the fart-humor classics. And Futurama is Simpsons. I don't care the setup is different, it's one and the same thing.

OK, I'm tired of remembering other good shows

xallisto

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I also like Stargate :)

but gotta wait for season 3 and 10 now for atlantis and SG1 since both seasons ended recently :(

asmo

Reaction score
Country
Germany

"Chappelle's Show"  rocks my life :)
It makes me crack up on a regular basis :p

Predator

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

Xallisto said:
I also like Stargate :)

but gotta wait for season 3 and 10 now for atlantis and SG1 since both seasons ended recently :(
Yeah, and both left with a cliffhanger. I mean major danger to Milky Way. :notrust
How come Earth is so frequently in danger of being :pwned ?

Tamerlane

=D
Reaction score
Country
United States

I dont actually watch too much TV anymore.....but when I hear about something that might be good I use poor mans TVio (aka the internet) and just download it.

Stargate was a good series and I used to be in the Star Trek thing for a bit, got into Voyager and then later Enterprise. Also like Friends and Scrubs when I wanted something fun to watch. I dont think that I ever watched anything religiously....just when I could catch it on TV.

My favorite all time series is Firefly. It was only 13 eps long but it was sooooo good. It has this perfect blend of humor, action, and sci fi that I have not been able to find anywhere else. The movie Serenity was a continuation of the series and wrapped up a lot of the loose ends. I would recommened it to anyone.

:)

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

On that note - where on the internet is it possible to download TV shows?

Heard Firefly was awesome, btw.

Predator

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

Gold Knight said:

I've mainly used http://torrentreactor.net/, but there's a catch, you might not like. The episodes put out on that page aren't GK-friendly. But on the other hand there are many shows and the new episodes are uploaded at a relatively short amount of time. Like in the example with Stargate Atlantis, one episode per week (around Thursday), but several weeks earlier than the original airing date. For me season ended in Feb as it normaly ended in mid-March.

Another good way to find any show you've ever wanted is do some advanced search. If the search sentence is scripted a bit, you get awesome results.

Tamerlane

=D
Reaction score
Country
United States

Gold Knight said:

Here is the link to Torrent Spy, it is the largest torrent site to date on the internet. If for some crazy reason you can not find it there just search Google for the name with the word 'torrent' after it and you will be able to find it somewhere else.

http://www.torrentspy.com/

Predator_U said:
I've mainly used http://torrentreactor.net/, but there's a catch, you might not like. The episodes put out on that page aren't GK-friendly.
If you wanted to watch Firefly (or certain other series) I can make it GF-friendly. I will PM you the details if you would like.

:)