Year Round - The Tennis Thread | Page 51 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Year Round The Tennis Thread

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I'll watch the latter, as for some reason I got an alert on my phone about Kyrgios' shot between the legs.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Kyrgios could be a great player if he pulls himself together.

Anyways French Open - is it Rafa's to lose? I think so. I took a quick look at his draw, doesn't seem many in his quarter. Maybe Raonic, but he's not really great on clay.

Don't mind the look of Zverev's chances. 4th round (Nishikori), QF (Murray) and SF (Wawrinka) is a big task though. Verdasco straight up too.

For the women - No Williams so it's fairly open. And Kerber lost too 6-2 6-2

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Anyways French Open - is it Rafa's to lose? I think so. I took a quick look at his draw, doesn't seem many in his quarter. Maybe Raonic, but he's not really great on clay.

Don't mind the look of Zverev's chances. 4th round (Nishikori), QF (Murray) and SF (Wawrinka) is a big task though. Verdasco straight up too.
Nishikori and Murray haven't exactly been great, the former since the AO and the latter all year. Zveref on the other hand did beat Djokovic the other week to break into the top 10, so I don't think he needs to be afraid of those two. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Murray lost early against Del Potro or whoever. Wawrinka on the other hand will most likely be a very tough opponent and I think he might even take the whole tournament. He won Geneva and apparently winning a Masters before entering a Slam is a good sign for him, historically.

To me it looks like Nadal has a relatively easy draw until the semis, but after that anything can happen.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
So any opinions on the two finals? Halep is the clear favorite on the women's side and she'll actually pass Kerber in the WTA ranking if she takes the championship, but between Wawrinka and Nadal, I feel like neither has a big advantage. Wawrinka has had a slightly tougher tournament so far, especially having to go the distance vs Murray whereas Nadal brushed Thiem away in three, but Wawrinka also didn't have to play more than three sets in any round before that, so I don't think this gives Nadal a decisive advantage either. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's pretty much 50:50 here, it wouldn't be strange if either of them won in my opinion.

Also, whoever wins will be no. 2 on the ATP ranking whereas the loser is gonna be no. 3. Both of them have already passed Djokovic though who sits at no. 4 now.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Before the final, I was actually liking Wawrinka a little more. But Rafa won well, he is the king of clay.

Novak is taking some time off I read. He got blasted off 6-0 against Thiem, and that was pretty bad to me. Hoping he's good for Wimbledon.

Rafa withdrew from Queens, but it's a pretty stacked line up from the clubs' website. Federer is not there (Stuttgart open).

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So what are everyone's thoughts on and predictions for Wimbledon this year?

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Seen Kyrgios is out.

Murray has a decent enough draw. He did get beaten in the first round of a recent tournament iirc. And Kyrgios was possible a rd 4 match up, and is now gone.

Would like to see Djokovic get going after getting spanked in the French, but can he? Nadal and Cilic might meet in the quarters. Federer is a usual suspect. I don't really have a good feel for current form so I might just go with Fed since he's great at grass.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I also feel that Murray has the easiest draw out of the top 4 but thats not say there can't be any upsets, it's just extremely unlikely since they've won the last 12 Wimbledon titles between them.

My money and hope is on Federer purely because I believe he has his best game on this surface and coming into the event with a win at Halle. Djokovic did well to play and win at Eastbourne as a warm up before here, so he's possibly 2nd favourite. With Nadal it's just a matter of staying fit.

Xaos sama

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Nadal is out, Djoker is out, murray is also out, Fed to the semi and he's up against thomas berdych.

sad to see djoker picking up an injury, I hope nothing's serious.

sam vs cililic will be an even match, let's see who's the underdog who's going to make it to the final.

my bets are for Fed to win his 8th T__T

I BEL19VE.

Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sad to also see Murray's injury hadn't gone away or gotten better coming into this tournament. It's always a shame for a player to get to this stage and ending their participation due to injury. Taking nothing away from Querrey though, his serve was solid and I guess the whole thing helped him take more chances with his shots. He still had to finish the job though.

Even with Federer being through, he's still got tough opponents in Berdych and Cilic though but he's got to be the favourite now, out of those remaining.

Anti Hero 3:16

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
U know one thing I noticed I watched federer full wimbledon final in 2007 vs nadal and he won that match It was my first full tennis match that I watched completely. Flash back to 2017 he is still there fighting for the crown.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Novak, Murray and Raonic aren't in the US. The draw had to be re-done, with Rafa and Fed in the same half (so I read). If I liked him I'd be supporting Kyrgios. I'll just say that I hope he has a good tournament and doesn't annoy me.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So, the Next Gen finals are over and Chung won over Rublev. Didn't watch the match, but apparently consistency won out over heavy hitting this time around.

More importantly though, how do you guys feel about the rule changes they tested during this tournament?

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I didn't watch this tournament. I feel like my comments may be off the mark without seeing the outcomes. By that I mean was there a significant change to the tennis product by introducing these rules? What I will say is it's good to see the sport trying something new, even if I will always prefer GS tennis.

Cricket has added the one-day and 20-20 formats with a similar objective in mind - fast paced action to bring in fans - and it's successful. You can notice the difference in play, though. Rather than the war of attrition you get with the longer game (test cricket), the short formats turn into slog-fests and contests of power.

Shorter Format: First to Four games sets (Tie-Break at 3-All), Best-of-Five sets, with No-Ad scoring
Is the tension actually greater just because there are more tie-breaks? i.e. do the players feel the pressure at a 3-3 tiebreak the same as a 6-6 tiebreak?

Maximum games possible in the old format - 39 (3 breakers)
Maximum games possible in the trialed format - 35 (5 breakers)

No-ad scoring favours the returners and more service breaks, so Idk the exact benefit here. Does it really speed up matches? I guess, less points played.

Shorter Warm-Up
Any problem with injuries here?

Shot Clock
Eh, not too sure on this one, but it seems like something required in a fast-paced format.

Would be interesting to see how Nadal handles 25s limits.

No-Let Rule
This would be annoying as a player. They say it would be an unpredictable way to start a point, true... but how will points starting with a let look?

Medical Time-Outs
Hmm not sure. On one hand it seems like we're skimming on player welfare. On the other hand, they should just retire when hurt, and I don't like the tactical use of the time-outs).

Player Coaching
Strongly against. However I see what they're trying to do here by giving the fans an inside view into a pro match.

I also wonder if this format will suit particular players. If that's the case, would it be fair to allocate ATP points to these matches? I don't think this is a problem tbh, since different courts give players advantages too.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Is the tension actually greater just because there are more tie-breaks? i.e. do the players feel the pressure at a 3-3 tiebreak the same as a 6-6 tiebreak?
Well, a set deciding tiebreak is a set deciding tiebreak. I don't think there's any real difference in how much pressure you feel. But I think the idea is more to "reset" the game advantage more frequently. Suppose you have two players that are likely to hold serve - if one of them gets an early break, it's more likely that they're going to win the set regardless of whether they have to win four or six games total, so by reducing the number of games in a set, you have less "downtime" for lack of a better term.

The issue, in my opinion, is that by playing tiebreakers after only half the games, you give players only half as many chances to earn a legitimate break of serve in the first place and since a tiebreaker can be quite volatile, it decreases consistency overall.

No-ad scoring favours the returners and more service breaks, so Idk the exact benefit here. Does it really speed up matches? I guess, less points played.
Well, yeah, it does. Maybe you could argue it counteracts having less opportunities to break over the course of six games compared to three like I described above, but personally I'm not a fan.

Any problem with injuries here?
Don't think so, the players warm up before entering the court after all. From what I read it impacts performance in a different way though:

Glenn Hill said:
One thing to consider is that the stadiums the pros play on are VERY different from the courts they warm up on. The extra space around the court, the stands, and the very surface itself make the court play differently. Depth perception is changed slightly.

If you take away the warmup altogether, you're going to see really sloppy tennis for the first 10 minutes of the match. More double faults, more easy missed balls. I can't see how that's good for tennis.
So it doesn't seem like a positive when you essentially carry over parts of the warm-up into the first set. I also find it highly questionable that spectators can't wait an extra five minutes.

Eh, not too sure on this one, but it seems like something required in a fast-paced format.

Would be interesting to see how Nadal handles 25s limits.
Well, the time limit between points is already at 25 seconds. The shot clock is just supposed to enforce the limit more consistently. I don't really mind per se, but I don't feel it's necessary either.

On a side note, apparently they also replaced the line judges with an automatic hawk-eye system (not sure why that's not in the article actually).

This would be annoying as a player. They say it would be an unpredictable way to start a point, true... but how will points starting with a let look?
Frankly, I think this is both dumb and unnecessary. You don't have many points where a serve needs to be replayed because of a let in the first place and players have no incentive to try to hit the cord. But by changing this rule, they actually create that incentive and, like you said, it's not a desirable way to start a point.

I also find the other justification they present odd, to say the least. They already have the technology necessary to determine if a ball was a let or not. Clearly they have no issue employing additional technology either given the hawk-eye extension.

Strongly against. However I see what they're trying to do here by giving the fans an inside view into a pro match.
I will admit, I liked listening in on the changeover conversations during the Laver Cup. That said, I prefer preserving the pure 1v1/2v2 nature of tennis as much as possible and I fear it might lead to newcomers being at an even greater disadvantage due to not having or not being able to afford the best coaches out there.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Well, a set deciding tiebreak is a set deciding tiebreak. I don't think there's any real difference in how much pressure you feel. But I think the idea is more to "reset" the game advantage more frequently. Suppose you have two players that are likely to hold serve - if one of them gets an early break, it's more likely that they're going to win the set regardless of whether they have to win four or six games total, so by reducing the number of games in a set, you have less "downtime" for lack of a better term.

The issue, in my opinion, is that by playing tiebreakers after only half the games, you give players only half as many chances to earn a legitimate break of serve in the first place and since a tiebreaker can be quite volatile, it decreases consistency overall.
Hmm, a 6-6 would feel a little more important than deciding a 3-3, at least if I were playing. I guess it could still be the same.

That's a good point.

Well, yeah, it does. Maybe you could argue it counteracts having less opportunities to break over the course of six games compared to three like I described above, but personally I'm not a fan.
I'm not a fan either. For what they're trying to do though this is acceptable.

So it doesn't seem like a positive when you essentially carry over parts of the warm-up into the first set. I also find it highly questionable that spectators can't wait an extra five minutes.
Good point. What's the point of speeding it up if the first set has less quality.

Well, the time limit between points is already at 25 seconds. The shot clock is just supposed to enforce the limit more consistently. I don't really mind per se, but I don't feel it's necessary either.
Yea that's what I was trying to get at (though I didn't know it was 25s already). If there's a visible shot clock no one can get away with it. I would be against this in Grand Slams, but here I'm okay with it.

That said, I prefer preserving the pure 1v1/2v2 nature of tennis as much as possible and I fear it might lead to newcomers being at an even greater disadvantage due to not having or not being able to afford the best coaches out there.
Agreed.

Did you see matches from this tournament?

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Did you see matches from this tournament?
No, missed them. Might go back to check out the finals at some point.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
So, in the lead-up to the US Open, the two Canada events played last week implemented a shot clock. However, as an article in the Economist concludes, this did not have the intended results.

MArGi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
That Djokovic-Nadal semi was ridiculous...
I so wish I could have seen that historical match! Socializing isn't that great sometimes...

Now that Djoko vs Tsitsipas final is really good so far