Seinen - The Voices of a Distant Star by Makoto Shinkai | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen The Voices of a Distant Star by Makoto Shinkai

Nantalith

Proofreader
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Title: The Voices of a Distant Star
Genres: Drama, romance, seinen
Author: Shinkai Makoto
Artist: Sahara Mizu
Publication: Kodansha
Start Date: 2004
End Date: 2004
Number of chapters at review: One
Number of chapters read by reviewer: one

General Overview: [Blurb] To what distance would you go for your one true love?

In a future filled with a boundless potential for interstellar peace and prosperity, Mikako joins a research team to explore the recent contact between humans and alien races. She ventures out into space, leaving behind Noboru, the one young man she loves. As she travels deeper into this new frontier, her only connection with her boyfriend is through cell-phone text messages. But the years pass, and Mikako barely ages in the timelessness of space - while Noboru grows older and considers moving on with his life...

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 7 The artwork is plain with limited background detail but adds much to the story as the focus is on the people rather than the events.

Plot: 6 A boy and a girl trying to be together even though they are far apart.

Characters: 7 The characters are rather plain in appearance but true to their convictions and have great depth of emotion.

Theme: 7 Accepting choices made and accepting choices made by others. And following your heart to those you love above all else.

Originality: 5 Standard trials people face in order to be with the ones they love. In this case it is physical distance rather than misunderstanding or circumstance that separates them.

Overall: 8 The generic elements do not distract from the beauty of the story and the way it is told.

[Man, I hope I've done this image/spoiler thing right.]

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
That watercolor page is just awesome. I could see what you mean about the art. I does seems to focus more about the characters. This must've been a oneshot? Looks interesting and thanks for your review.

Nantalith

Proofreader
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I thought it was a stand alone thing but the manga is based off an anime which I've seen but prefer the manga [read it first]. It didn't help that I was watching in English :darn

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I never liked the manga as much as the anime. Makoto Shinkai is one of my favorite directors; the manga loses the sense of loneliness, distance, and dislocation that are major themes in his movies. It also loses the distinctive animation and backgrounds used in his anime. The mangaka did not add anything to the original, or fill in for what is inevitably lost when moving to a different medium. While Voices From A Distant Star is not his best, a Place Promised in Our Early Days is better, it's a great anime that did not translate well to manga.

Luco

Manga Editor
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I enjoy the manga and anime equally. Both have something extra to give. I love Shinkais art and animation, so the anime easily is more pleasing to the eye, yet the manga give that little bit of extra story that fleshes out the characters more and gives you more of an ending. I felt more fulfilled story wise after reading the manga. They defiantly compliment each other.