The Will of D.: My Theory | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Will of D.: My Theory

relation they may have?

• Lovely family :p

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • something else

Votes: 107 79.9%

• Total voters

santamaria

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Well i have a theory about the people who carry the name of D in their name. :amuse

theory:

The "D's" are the descendants of the royal family of the country that was annihilated in the void century.

Facts that let me believe this;

-The "D's" are born leaders, all the "D's" having people under their control.

-Monkey D, Dragon fighting the world government, and luffy having declared war on it as well.

-The country in the void century was a KINGdom :amuse

Theory that let's me believe it:

-the title of pirate king actually being the title of the one who rules that country, and raftel being that country.

-The world government preventing everyone from reaching that country.

I actually think this theory is plausible since the gorõsei only know the rough line's of the void century and probably don't know the names of the rules of that country.
So well this is my theory I know i don't have a lot of facts to support it so any remarks, suggestions and reasons why this theory isn't plausible are very welcome :P

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: The will of D, my theory

Well, I do have one question on this. Why do you assume that the Gorosei only know the basics about the Void Century. I assumed that they at least knew the whole thing, as passed down among successive generations by the top ranking Marines, e.g. the Gorosei of each generation tell the next pair of Gorosei. But I don't think Oda-sensei ever specifically mentioned how much they know about the Void Century. So what makes you think they know just the basics?

santamaria

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica

They have shown to have a basic knowledge of the occurrences of the Void century, according to their shocked reactions to professor Clover's statements.
So I'm guessing that they don't know more than the basics, the rough lines because there wouldn't be a need to know more of it.
It's quite a long shot theory so at this point with the information we know at the moment I really think it may actually be true :)

Last edited:

Impel Down

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada

There's no evidence of the Gorosei's limitations of their knowledge of the Void Century, whether or not they even truly KNOW what happened, and whatnot.

Also, it seems very anti-D. to rule a kingdom. The point of the Pirate King is that you're the best of the underground, not obviously fore-front, and your name is known all over the world, not from politics, but from living.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Well, the kingdom would probably be ruled very D-style. It would be a bit like the Straw Hat crew (the best example we have of what things are like under the leadership of a D), so I could see it. (Though that would be one weird island...) And it would be known from that, the... unusual lifestyle and culture of that island. And some D's are public figures. Look at Garp. Though for the most part, you're right, they are mostly underground figures, but again, this Kingdom was probably a backwater place that didn't get many visitors, known only by reputation and a few traveler's tales. It's not like it would have been an easy place to get to, being at the end of the Grand Line.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Considering they kinda ruled the world, it doesn't seem like they were very back-water. I mean, it's not like any of the Ds are just punk-ass pirates/folk. They all do make major impacts in the world.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

By backwater, I mean hard to access. They'd make an impact, but not really in person. It's not like the island would get many visitors, it's still Raftel, and still hard to travel to.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Well, there's no evidence that the kingdom was in Raftel, that's just a common idea. Personally, I don't really think that. So, it wouldn't have to be hard to access. Maybe Marie Joie would have been the previous location of the kingdom, since the WG took over.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Well, that makes sense too. I don't really think it was at Raftel (Because then someone other then Roger and his crew would have gotten there. And besides, the World Government would have made their own secret method of getting there, or defended it, or something!) I was just arguing for that theory. I don't really have a theory as to where the Kingdom was. By the way, the D's can't all be related. Jaguar D. Saul was a giant. And yeah, Pirate King wasn't a title for a ruler of a country. Roger just made it up for himself to sound cool. That theory is basically full of holes. I was just arguing because I didn't agree with what you said, Impel. But I don't agree with santamaria's theory either.

devicat26

Reaction score
Country
United States

It's an interesting theory though. All the D's definitely have something about them that impacts everything around them. i heard someone somewhere before mention they thought Luffy and Ace were actually princes of a country. At any rate the D's ARE meant to rule/be leaders.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

The leadership thing, I think, seems to be more of a "inherent trait" in the family, rather than "destiny". Most of the "D" things are all things you could attribute to an inherent trait in a family, like hotheaded-ness or wanting to be a doctor.

bebekhappy

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Well after reading the theory and replies these question pops in my head:

1. If the country in the void century was really a kingdom,could it really be that the ones whom has "D' in their name are the heir of the royal family?i mean if it's true, judging from what Dr.Clover said "it was an enormous country" why did the WG allow some of "D" to work for them after they destroy the whole kingdom?

2. What if the Gold D. Roger never reach Raftel?but he knows something important about this island that the government knows captured him before he reach the island.Perhaps Whitebeard and his previous crews know this (Shanks and Buggy and else),but they keep this as a secret for their own reasons.So Roger final words was a lie that he created to motivate all the people to achieve something he can't, knowing the whole truth about the government, thus they can bring a new era.

Me, i'd like to think that the "D" was actually the people who craved the poneglyphs, hide those ultimate weapons and scattered the stones throughout the world. That explain why Roger can read and write in poneglyphs easily,while he most likely never been one of the scholar in Ohara whom we knows the only one who can read it.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

If Roger never got to Raftel, where's One Piece? And the World Government probably doesn't know enough about what went on during the Void Century to know it was the D's who ruled the kingdom. That, or they're just happy that there enemy is working for them and not fighting them, and won't mind, as long as Garp doesn't find out about the Void Century and try to overthrow the World Government. I see no reason for them to take action against Garp unless he tries to overthrow them. Though I have a tentative theory that Dragon knows at least in part about the Void Century, so the fact that he knows that he is supposed to be king of the Grand Line may be what caused him to start his revolution, assuming he knows a bit about the Void Century and that the D's really were rulers of that country. But I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't end up happnening, it seems a bit too... convenient, making the D's kings and Dragon knowing, as if nobody has to trey to figure things out, and it makes the D's a bit too special. I like it better if they were just a family of tough adventurers with some unique qualities. It makes them seem even greater, that they could perserver despite the fact that they aren't royalty or anything. That they need to depend on their own qualities.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel

...And yeah, Pirate King wasn't a title for a ruler of a country. Roger just made it up for himself to sound cool.
Maybe the pirate king was the one who ruled over pirate island (the legendary island which is considered as heaven for pirates)? And I don't think that Roger called himself like that, maybe it's just a title people gave him for achieving everything a pirate could've dreamed of.

About the theory. I don't think that we have enough info at the moment to either approve or disapprove this theory. We just need to wait to see the answer. =D

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

I don't think Roger even gave himself that title. He just was called that because he was the only one to traverse the whole GL. I mean, how stuck up is he if he gives himself titles?

And we don't have enough evidence to prove or disprove most of these theories.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

It's not so much stuck up as propagating his own legend, not necessarily in a stuck up way, but yeah, it actually makes more sense to say people called him the Pirate King after his death, just like they called One Piece One Piece after his death. (Why's it called One Piece anyway? I've always wondered.) But either way, the point is, it's just a title to sound cool, it's not an ancient position or anything.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

That, and the Pirate King probably does not even rule over the pirates of the world. It just shows that he was the greatest pirate, that's all. I mean, we call Oda The Genius, but that doesn't mean he's some psychic mastermind who's planned out the meanings of life and whatnot. It's just a title that shows their mastery of a position or something.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel

I agree with you about this, Pirate King is simply a title to show he's the pirate who achieved the most, not the ruler of all other pirates.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Thank you for agreeing with me. That being said, does anyone buy into the "D stands for Davy" idea?

Paz42

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

ive never really thought about the D standing for Davy meaning that they would all be descended from davy jones its one way of looking at it i suppose but the only thing that we have really heard about davy jones in the world of OP is the whole Davy back fight and robin breifly talking about him to chopper