Multi Season Toaru Majutsu no Index

Zeltrax

News Writer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Country
Singapore
Toaru Majutsu no Index / A Certain Magical Index

Plot Summary: The second season of Toaru Majutsu no Index.
Set in a city of not only scientifically advanced superhuman students, but in a world where magic is also real. Kamijyo Touma's right hand, the Imagine Breaker, will negate all magic, psychic, or divine powers, as well as his own luck. One day he finds a young girl hanging on his balcony railing. She turns out to be a nun from the Church of England, and her mind has been implanted with the Index Librorum Prohibitorum—all the magical texts the Church has removed from circulation.

Genre: Magic, Shounen, Supernatural

Number of episodes: 24

Opening theme:
No Buts! by Mami Kawada

Ending theme:
Magic World by Maon Kurosaki

Episode 07: This is the first time I'm starting an anime thread like this..but Index is quite a popular anime so hopefully people watch this.
This "arc" lasted 2-3 episodes or so, which is weird considering how many things were covered. Touma is always there for Misaka :eyeroll and he helped save kuroko, which is kind of expected considering he is the main character.
What I did not expect was the teleporter girl getting fist'ed by Accelerator.
He is still as strong as ever and have insane strength. I like to see more him as much as I want to see more development of Misaka and Touma
or between them :D
One thing I like about this anime is the backgrounds and the environment, everything is so detailed and I like the art.
I watched the first Index and Kagayaku, making me very excited for this season. Pretty much every character is interesting and for people who haven't start, you really should!
Anyway, for people who watch this anime, discuss away.

Last edited by a moderator:

raikou

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Country
Indonesia
Someone here watched index? i watched it too. About the backgrounds, yeah J.C Staff's background are always good. They make quality anime, so i usually watched animes from J.C staff. Episode 7 was good. I love how accelerator defeated Musujime pretty easily despite he's weakened. His power is cool! And have you watched episode 8? New arc started, and few new character. I can't wait to see next episode.

Zeltrax

News Writer
Country
Singapore
Someone here watched index? i watched it too.
It's kindda sad that not many people pay attention to Index, I thought every character is unique and fight scenes were awesome. Touma and Accelerator is one of my most favorite shounen characters.

About the backgrounds, yeah J.C Staff's background are always good. They make quality anime, so i usually watched animes from J.C staff.
J.C Staff did nodame cantabile and honey and clover too right? No wonder..I thought their backgrounds were really well done and draws me in :D But Index is another thing, the amount of time needed to do the skyscrapers and the many citizens of academy city!! I like how the backgrounds stand out so much. Yeah, they make quality anime.

Episode 7 was good. I love how accelerator defeated Musujime pretty easily despite he's weakened. His power is cool! And have you watched episode 8? New arc started, and few new character. I can't wait to see next episode.
Episode 7 was badass, especially the last few minutes of Accelerator pwnage, its too bad he can't beat Touma because of his arm but because of his loss, he turned out to become a better guy. I do want to see him more in the future.
Just finished watching episode 8, haha..come to think of it, when I started this topic episode 8 was already out!
Anyway, I like Misaka and Touma development and they are so funny together like always.
Touma is always so unlucky lucky eh? To "accidentally" peek at girls :/.
I like the new villan, I think she cast her spells via the papertags or something. Touma caught on her and is tailing her, but a fight between the two of them is too early.
Next episode, styx seems to be in danger? This arc, I want misaka to do something too. But the girl uh, who was that again, the one who pulled Touma around and called him lazy. I think she will pay a vital part in this arc, or maybe she's the focus of this arc.

raikou

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Country
Indonesia
It's kindda sad that not many people pay attention to Index, I thought every character is unique and fight scenes were awesome. Touma and Accelerator is one of my most favorite shounen characters.
I agree with you. Index is one of my favorite light novel to anime adaptaton.

J.C Staff did nodame cantabile and honey and clover too right? No wonder..I thought their backgrounds were really well done and draws me in :D But Index is another thing, the amount of time needed to do the skyscrapers and the many citizens of academy city!! I like how the backgrounds stand out so much. Yeah, they make quality anime.
Yeah both of them were by J.C Staff. Shakugan no Shana is also by J.C Staff, and the background is almost a good as index.

Episode 7 was badass, especially the last few minutes of Accelerator pwnage, its too bad he can't beat Touma because of his arm but because of his loss, he turned out to become a better guy. I do want to see him more in the future.
Just finished watching episode 8, haha..come to think of it, when I started this topic episode 8 was already out!
Anyway, I like Misaka and Touma development and they are so funny together like always.
Touma is always so unlucky lucky eh? To "accidentally" peek at girls :/.
I like the new villan, I think she cast her spells via the papertags or something. Touma caught on her and is tailing her, but a fight between the two of them is too early.
Next episode, styx seems to be in danger? This arc, I want misaka to do something too. But the girl uh, who was that again, the one who pulled Touma around and called him lazy. I think she will pay a vital part in this arc, or maybe she's the focus of this arc.
You mean Fukiyose? That's a possibility. Accelerator will appear again later. From what i heard he will become the second male protagonist after Touma.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Country
United States
This second season seems like it's throwing in a lot more Ecchi than the first season.

I find that a little disappointing(not that i don't like ecchi mind you:p). It's just that some of my favorite moments in the first season were when dramatic stuff happened.
Like when Touma lost hims memories, or when Accelerator nearly died, or when Touma went on his his crusade to save Misaka(s)

I'm still kinda waiting for that stuff this year. Not sure why they haven't done more with Touma's memory loss either. Have they even referenced that this year? That was really good for adding drama.

Last edited:

Zeltrax

News Writer
Country
Singapore
I'm not sure either, but I thought he lost his memories twice or something and act like he still have them.

Yeah, gotta agree with you. Season 2 seem rather slow with this current arc, it's not as dramatic and exciting .

Should have more accelerator and railgun instead of ecchiness.
Is it just me or does Touma meets a new girl every arc?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Country
United States
Haha, he seems to be working on meeting a dozen for this festival arc alone.:amuse

I had hoped that school president character knew him so that it would bring his memory loss back into play but no such luck.....

Last edited:

Zeltrax

News Writer
Country
Singapore
Whew, finally the end of the "search and destroy" arc.
I can't say I really liked this arc cos I thought it drags on too much and wasn't as interesting as the rest of the Index arcs.
But episode 13, the end of the arc changed my opinion. Although I'm still frustrated at how Touma won the fight..

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Country
United States
I know what you mean.

It might be time for Ol' Touma to learn something besides the left hook(starting to get redundant).

I don't think i'm going to be satisfied with this show until it throws in some actual drama though. The stuff with Himigami was great but that seemed like it never really got screen time it deserved. Hopefully the next arc with throw something more somber in, ecchi is like cotton candy(sweet but unfulfilling); also a fight where he doesn't charge straight at his opponent and punch them in the face while screaming in a melodramatic fashion would be nice.

Last edited:

Zeltrax

News Writer
Country
Singapore
New arc, new ending but no new opening D:
I guess maybe next episode they'll have one?

Anyway, Venice is really a beautiful place, the city of water eh? This episode makes me wanna go there one day! It looks really nice.

This episode started off with Touma and Index arriving there, met Orsola and most of the time were just characters interaction. I guess it was nice to watch along with the beautiful town. I laugh at the part of the 1.5 km walk to the shopping district and Index abandoning Touma for gelato. AND, more ecchiness and Touma's an idiot for even opening the door.

Alright, now for the serious part. Obviously something is going to happen, but I didn't see the glass giant boat rising up of the canal coming. The boat looked..I know it's weird, really beautiful. Looks like more Roman church trouble. The fleet reminds me of pirates :/ . Well, the girl/antagonist from the first arc is back. I think she is going to be an ally this time.

Zeltrax

News Writer
Country
Singapore
I can't resist bumping this lonely thread :(

Why is it such a lonely thread when the arc now is so epic? Toaru needs more fans more more more fans :darn!

Anyway, for people who watch, I'll really love to hear what you think about this arc that involves Touma, Index, Accelerator,Misaka, Last Order? Just anything is fine :scry

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Country
United States
It's definitely a much improved arc. By far the best one this season.

That being said, so far i'm having a hard time making practical sense of this arc.
Mainly because the villains characters seem so weakly put together. I'm just not sure why the villains are causing all this trouble here. They have motivations but nothing sufficiently grand to make all the trouble they are going through worth it.

I mean, the dude in the bottle seems to be ready to blow up his own city, and Vento & Accelerator's old buddy are just crazy. It would be easier for me to get in to this arc if any of the bad guys had some sort of goal i could relate to, at this point even the ol' world domination cliché would be an improvement.

----------------------------

It is great that they finally included Misaka in this arc though, she's probably the series strongest character. They just need to keep her in every arc at all times.

Accelerator's been ok too but he flipped his "crazy little psychopath" switch a little too quickly for my liking. It's kinda hard to root for a guy who runs around laughing and murdering defenseless enemies.

Touma is Touma. His power need to evolve a little or something, or maybe have one of his friends help him out with the fighting part. Watching him charge in and punch everybody(when they really could just shoot him) has gotten pretty old for me.

Last edited:

Zeltrax

News Writer
Country
Singapore
It's definitely a much improved arc. By far the best one this season.
Yeah, I agree. For most of the arcs in this seasons, I don't understand what is going on, maybe because I'm not a Christian but when it comes to the science part of it, I find it really amazing.

That being said, so far i'm having a hard time making practical sense of this arc.
Mainly because the villains characters seem so weakly put together. I'm just not sure why the villains are causing all this trouble here. They have motivations but nothing sufficiently grand to make all the trouble they are going through worth it.
Sadly, that's the thing with toaru, the villains are not developed enough. I think the novel is better than the anime and the anime pacing is way too fast :( for most part, the villains just appear out of nowhere..

I mean, the dude in the bottle seems to be ready to blow up his own city, and Vento & Accelerator's old buddy are just crazy. It would be easier for me to get in to this arc if any of the bad guys had some sort of goal i could relate to, at this point even the ol' world domination cliché would be an improvement.

----------------------------
Accelerator's old buddy is working for alister(dude in the bottle) or something, he's purpose was to capture last order and use her to activate Kirahara as you can see from the latest episode. It makes things a whole lot clearer.
The reason why Kirahara needs to be activate > Vento.
Vento came from the Roman chruch and plans to destroy/suppress the entire academy city but Kirahara's program, the angel thingy stopped her from doing so.
Though, the angel thing is also to destroy the entire city.. I don't really understand but from what I can see it's like this:
Vento wanted to suppress the academy city.
Alister asked Kirahara to capture last order.
Last order was used to activate the "angel".
The angel was used against Vento.
Not sure how it works, but vento or the angel, either one will destroy the city.
But I think Vento is more like "suppressing" it or controlling it or something.
It is great that they finally included Misaka in this arc though, she's probably the series strongest character. They just need to keep her in every arc at all times.
It's too bad she's only fighting fodder in this arc, and I was hoping for much more development between him and Touma. :darn

Accelerator's been ok too but he flipped his "crazy little psychopath" switch a little too quickly for my liking. It's kinda hard to root for a guy who runs around laughing and murdering defenseless enemies.
It's kindda hard to comprehend due to the pacing.
But then, I don't think they are defenseless enemies, they are what I see as fodder and enemies to accelerator.

Touma is Touma. His power need to evolve a little or something, or maybe have one of his friends help him out with the fighting part. Watching him charge in and punch everybody(when they really could just shoot him) has gotten pretty old for me.
Yeah, I remember he once went berserk and have a hand of a dragon.
Too bad we don't see anything more than that from him.
However, somehow, I seem to enjoy his fight, no matter how hax it is. Maybe in the future I'll get sick of it but for now I think his arm is the only reason why he is the main character.
He can pwn a guy that can destroy the earth with his arm :oh

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Country
United States
Zeltrax said:
Yeah, I agree. For most of the arcs in this seasons, I don't understand what is going on, maybe because I'm not a Christian but when it comes to the science part of it, I find it really amazing.
I was raised Christian(and still am...mostly) and it didn't make much sense to me either. Just a bunch of vague old testament references. They pretty much just stamp names on stuff with no real concern for what they actually mean. I don't mind though, anime does with all religions at some point so it's only fair we Christians get our share.

Unfortunately, i don't know what the average Japanese person thinks that about what a nuns looks like or does all, but there are going to be some Japanese otaku tourists who will be sorely disappointed when they go to visit a convent.

A nun kinda by definition lives a cloustiered life of dedicated praying and solemn contemplation. As you might expect, they are know for being somewhat boring and being neither young nor particularly attractive. :eyeroll

Zeltrax said:
Sadly, that's the thing with toaru, the villains are not developed enough. I think the novel is better than the anime and the anime pacing is way too fast for most part, the villains just appear out of nowhere..
Yeah, your probably right.

But Accelerator was a bad guy once. Then again maybe i just proved your point.......

Zeltrax said:
Accelerator's old buddy is working for alister(dude in the bottle) or something, he's purpose was to capture last order and use her to activate Kirahara as you can see from the latest episode. It makes things a whole lot clearer.
The reason why Kirahara needs to be activate > Vento.
Vento came from the Roman chruch and plans to destroy/suppress the entire academy city but Kirahara's program, the angel thingy stopped her from doing so.
Though, the angel thing is also to destroy the entire city.. I don't really understand but from what I can see it's like this:
Vento wanted to suppress the academy city.
Alister asked Kirahara to capture last order.
Last order was used to activate the "angel".
The angel was used against Vento.
Not sure how it works, but vento or the angel, either one will destroy the city.
But I think Vento is more like "suppressing" it or controlling it or something.
What bothers me is the techno angel thingy is supposed to stop Vento, whose goal is basically to cut a swath through the city in a very unchristian fashion(Somebody really needs the "judge not least ye be judged" part to that girl. Jesus would not be pleased with her, i think.).

Yet the techno angel thingy seems like it's also cutting a swath of destruction through the city just by being summoned. And that Kirahara seems like he's hell bent on making it his life's goal to capture Last Order while doing the maximum collateral damage possible.

Vento, besides being crazy, i get. But the bottle guy's plan just seems so.....stupid. If your countermeasure is going to stop somebody from destroying the city by...destroying the city, then why bother? He should just go get a snow cone or something and let Vento blow up the city until one of the level 5's drops an avalanche of pain on her.

Zeltrax said:
It's kinda hard to comprehend due to the pacing.
But then, I don't think they are defenseless enemies, they are what I see as fodder and enemies to accelerator.
It's just hard to like a guy does his own little evil villain laugh while he kills somebody who is quite literally curled up on the ground crying.

What happened to the spark of humanity that Last Order supposedly ignited within him?

--------------------------

Why have we not met more Level 5's by the way? There were supposed to be a lot more than 2 of them. Seems like they would make a lot more interesting bad guys than waves of battle nuns.:s

Last edited:

Searinghawk

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Country
United States
Later on in the novels Touma's powers do evolve in a way, so he gets a lot better.
-Later on Touma finds out he can stop any supernatural power through negation and disruption if an ability is too strong to instantly negate like he has been doing.
-Also in volume 22 of the novels, during his fight with Fiamma of the Right, the strongest of God's Right Seat, Fiamma cuts off Touma's arm and absorbs it in order to get the power of the Imagine Breaker. But an "invisible thing" gathers at Touma's right shoulder, whose power completely overwhelms Fiamma's new power, but then Touma crushes that power with some other greater power and regains his Imagine Breaker (this part is really vague in the novels).
-He also subconsciously obtained a Mind's Eye, partial precognition ability due to the amount of fights he has been in. With this ability he is sorta able to feel the AIM fields and through the enemy's movements and move to a spot where he will take the least amount of damage. This is all figured out by Accelerator either during or after their second fight.

Why have we not met more Level 5's by the way? There were supposed to be a lot more than 2 of them. Seems like they would make a lot more interesting bad guys than waves of battle nuns.:s
The rest of the Level 5s come into the story later on or at least mentioned, and all of them have epic abilities!
-The second strongest esper is Teitoku Kakine whose power is "Dark Matter", not the dark matter we know of, but an actual unknown, but powerful, substance that didn't exist until Kakine created it. It's also the only thing that Accelerator's ability can't reflect, at least until later on. He comes in just a few arcs after the current one in the anime where him and Accelerator fight, which is epic.
-The fourth strongest, coming after Mikoto, is Shizuri Mugino who comes in at the same time as Kakine, and whose power is "Meltdowner" which shoots highly concentrated and destructive beams.
-The fifth strongest is a girl only known as "The Queen of Tokiwadai", whose ability is "Mind Out", which lets her control and manipulate the mind and erase and create memories, although she is only mentioned by Mikoto and not actually seen.
-The final level 5 esper is Gunha Sogita. Although nobody knows the full extent of his ability(s). He is unique in that he has many types of abilities like moving past the speed of sound and creating force-fields, just naming a few. He makes his debut in one of the side story volumes so I'm not sure if/when he will make an appearance.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Country
United States
@Searinghawk
I don't want to read inside those spoiler tags for fear of spoiling something good for myself later on but i'll take them to mean that if this anime holds on for another season or so i'll like what i see.

You seem familiar with the novels, do you know if most of the stuff from this season in the anime came from the novels or were these written strictly for the anime. Like the arc with the frozen ships for example, do you know if that was in the novels?

Searinghawk

Country
United States
Pretty much all the arcs aired were taken straight from the novels, including the frozen ship/Italy arc, as well as those seemingly one-shot episodes near the end of the first season and the first episode of the second season. Those were all a part of the "Three Stories" arc which includes the part with Accelerator rescuing Last Order. For the most part, the anime followed the novels pretty well, but I think they took out some minor details here and there.

Just to give you a rough idea, the anime's current arc is on volumes 12-13, so it's pretty much about halfway to where the novels are at right now, while the next two Level 5s comes in during volume 15. Too bad this season ends on this invasion arc.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Country
United States
Pretty much all the arcs aired were taken straight from the novels, including the frozen ship/Italy arc, as well as those seemingly one-shot episodes near the end of the first season and the first episode of the second season. Those were all a part of the "Three Stories" arc which includes the part with Accelerator rescuing Last Order. For the most part, the anime followed the novels pretty well, but I think they took out some minor details here and there.

Just to give you a rough idea, the anime's current arc is on volumes 12-13, so it's pretty much about halfway to where the novels are at right now, while the next two Level 5s comes in during volume 15. Too bad this season ends on this invasion arc.
Yeah, that is too bad. Up until this last arc it seems like the series was just kinda wasting time. We really didn't get anything new about Touma or Index or anything at all regarding what Touma has forgotten about his past.

Well it should maintain enough popularity to warrant another season(i hope), as long as they get to that stuff eventually i'll be happy..:D

Searinghawk

Country
United States
Yeah I think there is a high chance for another season since the second blu-ray of the series ranked number two after Oreimo and ranked 23rd in DVD sales during the Feb 21-27 week.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-04/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-february-21-27

And I read in another forum that the light novel series is one of the most popular out there; within the top 15 or 20 if I remember correctly.

Oh and his memory loss is brought up later on when
Mikoto and later on Index finally finds out, both from two different members of God's Right Seat.

Zeltrax

News Writer
Country
Singapore
I'm not going to open that spoiler :tem. I think the anime will suffice, but I'm glad to hear what Jammin wants will be coming ...

in season 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)