Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

well has anyone read that? it'd probably do us well to see what the heck his comedy stylings used to be eh

Muddy

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Of course it's intentionally funny! How could you miss the good-natured irony that runs so thick through it? Though maybe irony's not quite the right word.

And I think it's fantastic. If you don't, all I can say is too bad - I would love for everyone to be enjoying it as bloody much as I do :)

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I merely felt the need to point that out in a counterance to sexyrandals adamance that we shouldn't view it as a comedy.

And who knows, it might have improved in all the chapters we're still waiting on

Sexy Randal 105

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

If it's so bad than why do I constantly find myself wanting the next chapter so badly after reading the newest one? T_T

I don't like day to day stuff. I do enjoy Toriko's little mini-arcs. They interest me greatly for some odd reason. And they do seem to be in an older style. Well, I like the old Jump style. It has a slight Fist of the North Star vibe to it, but WAY less serious.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

well you're less cynical than me and prepared to love a series without that sort of niggling doubt that always keeps me from just reading, and gets my critical mind looking at the aspects that don't work and so forth. i'm too much of a critic to just be a laid back fan. i'm envious that you can find such joy in it.

and the mini arcs are a nice approach, and the current arc holds promise, if only for the possible outcomes approaching

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States

Even I, loving the series, am angry it is getting a 3rd cover. That is just kind of ridiculous. They should give it to Psyren or Mago.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

mago moreso with its tank sales. but yeah Toriko is being pimped to the nines (though i can believe that it's actually liked over there, despite my casual dislike of it)

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States

Was Dragonball even pimped that much? Jesus.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

considering the first four title pages all appear to have been coloured.......... still moreso

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States

Well, at least Jump isn't over hyping it to the point of that then. That would be truly ludicrous.

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

This thread seems to be falling down into being inactive...
Now all the Toriko chapters so far are translated and I'm gonna try to translate them as they come out.
Though it'd probably better if someone more experienced did it.
Anyone reading it?

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Oh most certainly. I'm actually enjoying it now, and hopefullt that'll be enhanced as i throw text onto picture some time in the future :D

it's greatly appreciated that you're taking the time to do it all aswell! this series seems to have a lot of trouble holding active discussion, which is weird considering how high it stays in the TOC.

deadberry

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I think it's just a general lack of readers here/other english speaking boards that does for real discussion D:

anyway I'm enjoying it =p

joekerr

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria

yeah toriko is... i like everything in it.. the food, the fights, the monsters... it's just to wickeeddd.. and i'm just wondering what the hell is that "THING" that came out from the sea, coco said it ain't living creature, so... what an alien maybe??? who knows, i hope we find out soon enough :D (and it can't be something that's mechanical (like some kind of robot) 'cause robots.. just don't emit auras huh..)

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States

Just caught up with the series this morning; went out, bought a Jump, and read along with the 18 translation. Not that it was even that necessary in this case, seeing as there was so little text, and the little that was there was simple :P I just want to thank you once again for catching up and being willing to keep up with the series.

This puffer whale arc has been awesome beginning to end - and it's not over yet. The gourmet policeman looks very cool, as does the scary yeti not-alive-thing.

This manga is just so imaginative and creative; I don't think there's been a single moment when I've been bored or not intrigued. Shimabukuro's art makes for very cool setting, character, and monster designs, and his story is simple but works really well. The series as a whole reminds me a lot of Chrono Trigger and Cross, as well as (in various parts) HxH, Dragonball, and One Piece - an excellent cross, and clearly in the hands of a talented mangaka.

I'm also really glad that it's doing so well in the ToC, because it means that - for now at least - there's a new series I like that I don't have to worry about getting canceled in the near future. I hope - and at this point presume - that its success is genuine; we won't really know until November, though.

Last edited:

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States

I am glad some more people are giving this manga the attention it deserves.

kaloo

Reaction score
Country
United States

I think the reason there isn't much discussion is because it's very straight forward, for the most part.

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States

Yeah, it's kind of hard discussing on something like that. It's just kind of a see it as it comes type thing.

deadberry

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

looks like onemanga now have Toriko up, will be interesting to see if that happens to draw in a few more readers.

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States

looks like onemanga now have Toriko up, will be interesting to see if that happens to draw in a few more readers.
Awesome! It's finally up!

If anything, it'll help to have all the chapters in one very easily accessible spot if ever we recommend Toriko to someone, as opposed to telling them to navigate the archives of MH.

Here's what kewl0210 pointed out in the Chp. 18 translation thread: the first appearance of our friend the Gourmet Policeman.

http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/8/12/

Last edited: