Tower of God | Page 7 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Tower of God

King Dryst

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Cobra
One benefit to KD's point is that they already have the entirety of S1 to draw on, I admit that. So they don't have to do random shit since the artwork isn't caught up, like with, say, FMA.
There's so much content already out that we shouldn't have to worry about anime filler in general. Though, given how little development most of the side cast gets the occasional filler might not be the worst thing. There's no limit as to the kind of stuff that can be done in this setting.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
You can also look at things like Kimetsu no Yaiba or Fire Force. Which are way better than their manga counterparts, IMO. The KonoSuba anime is better than the light novel too.

There are lot of examples of good and bad adaptations. Some where the author worked more thoroughly on it. Some where they didn't. The key point is always the people who made the anime. That's what decides how good it will be.

I feel like you are conflating a bit someone getting involved with the pacing and transition from static to animated in the technical sense with character and plot decisions. He doesn't have to be a veteran of the anime industry to agree he wants the plot and characters to be consistent, and offer collaborative advice if they have to make decisions based on length of episode that might have a relatively minor effect on the story/characters at large. Again, I don't expect him to be doing the shading work himself. Just to stress consistency of the source material and avail himself for any creative decisions that have to be made.
In a way I am. Because the Webtoon is SIU's artistic vision for Tower of God. The anime is going to be the product of not only that vision but the also the director and everyone adapting it to anime. That's the nature of it.

SIU said he had meetings and most likely those were them checking on various things with him. At the end of the day though, it's not his vision they're trying to produce. It's a their own vision of his story. That's what the really great anime are. The bad ones too. You just need to hope for somebody that can take what we love about ToG and make and anime that brings that out in the best way possible.

Last edited:

brzytki

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland

brzytki

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland

A band called stray kids for the opening and end.
Yeah, i saw it too today. And in the article it says the anime will air in April.

Edit: Well, i don't know Japanese but on some other english site it was written about it airing in April.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wish they would release more info about which studio and staff are working on it.

Like I'm not sure exactly what the Rialto Entertainment thing means. Besides that they are working with Sony subsidiary Aniplex. Could that mean A-1 or Cloverworks which are both also under the Aniplex/Sony umbrella too. Or is they just managing the production side. Or maybe they've been building an animation studio. I don't actually know anything about Rialto Entertainment, other than they are a recently created subsidiary of Aniplex.

Jubei_Kibagami

Reaction score
Country
United States

A band called stray kids for the opening and end.
While not personally a fan of j-pop/k-pop boy groups, at least from reading it seems the "band" members are fans of ToG. So there's that.

Not sure what I was expecting tbh. I wonder if they'll sing ('rap'?) in both Korean and English seeing as the release is in multiple countries and adding English to k/j pop is a trendy thing to do...

Ripcord

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wish they would release more info about which studio and staff are working on it.

Like I'm not sure exactly what the Rialto Entertainment thing means. Besides that they are working with Sony subsidiary Aniplex. Could that mean A-1 or Cloverworks which are both also under the Aniplex/Sony umbrella too. Or is they just managing the production side. Or maybe they've been building an animation studio. I don't actually know anything about Rialto Entertainment, other than they are a recently created subsidiary of Aniplex.
And also.... where can I watch it? Is it going to be an online release?

Jubei_Kibagami

Reaction score
Country
United States
And also.... where can I watch it? Is it going to be an online release?
crunchyroll has partnered with webtoon to co-produce, so I imagine at least (if not exclusively) crunchyroll.

Or, you know, pirate it.

sazon

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
My only fear is how they will make the adaptations by number of episodes. Because Japanese studios are accustomed to adapting manga, which have between 17 ~ 50 pages per chapter, ToG has almost twice that amount per chapter, being abnormal even in the manhwas.

If they do what MadHouse did with HxH it would be perfect, the 1st season has a closed ending and a great hook, they don't need to go out and modify the original material. In the end, my biggest fear is that they will start using the material that the SIU disseminates in the notes of his blog, we know that given the time, a lot has changed and some facts cited by him over time have become obsolete, although most of the information is more curiosities that do not interfere so much in the story, some may end up leaving viewers confused, like the story of the first princess Arie or there is only one princess Zahard as a direct descendant of an FH or just 3 princesses from the 10 families.

I think they will do everything to be a success, so they will not shy away from the original material, it is clear that the Japanese market is saturated and the Korean only grows both in Asia and here in the West, it is not for nothing that we will have simultaneous release in 3 different places and apparently Crunchyroll is involved in the production too, ReLife that was paid for by them had a great adaptation to my view. In short, if they want to take over the animation market in Manhwa before China does, they will have to do a good job.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm pretty open minded about what approach they take.

Season 1 is a pretty simple storyline. With each part being pretty clearly defined. Leading to climax that it is similarly very clearly defined. So, unlike a lot of series, I feel like this should be a really easy adaptation to do in a way that works. And they can do whatever they want artistically because the art in the Season 1 of Tower of God is pretty rough to say the least.

That said, I agree that the worst case scenario would be adding a bunch of fluff to it. I think part of the charm of season 1 is how it isn't overstuffed. It's a series of very entertaining parts leading to spectacularly entertaining finale with a nice emotional twist at the end of it. All it's needs to do to be great is deliver on that plot flow.

If we ever reach Season 2 of Tower of God, that will be another story. Just the concept of that worries me. Because I honestly don't know how you adapt that into a good anime. There are good parts in it but not in a way that makes a good season of anime, IMO. So I don't know what they'll do if they reach that point.

sazon

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'm pretty open minded about what approach they take.

Season 1 is a pretty simple storyline. With each part being pretty clearly defined. Leading to climax that it is similarly very clearly defined. So, unlike a lot of series, I feel like this should be a really easy adaptation to do in a way that works. And they can do whatever they want artistically because the art in the Season 1 of Tower of God is pretty rough to say the least.

That said, I agree that the worst case scenario would be adding a bunch of fluff to it. I think part of the charm of season 1 is how it isn't overstuffed. It's a series of very entertaining parts leading to spectacularly entertaining finale with a nice emotional twist at the end of it. All it's needs to do to be great is deliver on that plot flow.

If we ever reach Season 2 of Tower of God, that will be another story. Just the concept of that worries me. Because I honestly don't know how you adapt that into a good anime. There are good parts in it but not in a way that makes a good season of anime, IMO. So I don't know what they'll do if they reach that point.
In relation to the 2nd season of manhwa, even with its ups and downs, a good and fluid animation, with an excellent direction can supply that. The greatest example of this is Kimetsu no Yaiba, I love the manga, but it's not such an incredible story, nothing but the animation justifies its absurd success.

Jubei_Kibagami

Reaction score
Country
United States
When it comes to anime that goes off the rails from the source material, that's usually S2. Fingers still crossed.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess we should just be hoping season 1 goes well enough that there is a season 2.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

But i can't help but imagine that realization in season 2 that all the characters from season 1 are totally gone and won't show up for like more than half the season. I just visualize the person trying to adapt that being like... :err

Ripcord

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess we should just be hoping season 1 goes well enough that there is a season 2.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

But i can't help but imagine that realization in season 2 that all the characters from season 1 are totally gone and won't show up for like more than half the season. I just visualize the person trying to adapt that being like... :err
Yes that’s an issue. Perhaps they could weave in Koon’s team building a little earlier (maybe include some recruitment of Nobic, Ran, etc). Ok I know that’s filler but it could actually be useful filler.

I say this like anyone who makes the anime would actually read this...

:arf
--- Double Post Merged, ---

crunchyroll has partnered with webtoon to co-produce, so I imagine at least (if not exclusively) crunchyroll.

Or, you know, pirate it.
Well if I had to pay to watch it then I might find a way. Just paid off a student loan 100% so I feel a bit lighter now :)

I’m definitely going to watch it when it comes out. S1 is still my favorite.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes that’s an issue. Perhaps they could weave in Koon’s team building a little earlier (maybe include some recruitment of Nobic, Ran, etc). Ok I know that’s filler but it could actually be useful filler.

I say this like anyone who makes the anime would actually read this...

:arf
Yeah, they'll have to figure out their own solution to it if they get that far. Normally I'm not a fan of drastic rewrites for animated adaptations but like that might be the exception.

I didn't really understand why SIU wrote it that way at the time, and honestly still don't, but you really have to pity the studio that would have to adapt that. Because season 1 is such perfect material for anime. It's got story, depth, characters, action, and it's all pretty self contained. And the art is, if we're being honest about it, sort of crappy so whatever the animators do is probably going to look amazing by contrast. But the better that is, the rougher it'll be if hit season 2. Because it's going from a cliffhanger to a timeskip. Which is just practically designed to piss fans off. And the anime studio always gets blamed for that kind of thing.

Ripcord

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, they'll have to figure out their own solution to it if they get that far. Normally I'm not a fan of drastic rewrites for animated adaptations but like that might be the exception.

I didn't really understand why SIU wrote it that way at the time, and honestly still don't, but you really have to pity the studio that would have to adapt that. Because season 1 is such perfect material for anime. It's got story, depth, characters, action, and it's all pretty self contained. And the art is, if we're being honest about it, sort of crappy so whatever the animators do is probably going to look amazing by contrast. But the better that is, the rougher it'll be if hit season 2. Because it's going from a cliffhanger to a timeskip. Which is just practically designed to piss fans off. And the anime studio always gets blamed for that kind of thing.
It took a few rereads but in the end I felt like SIU was trying to make it feel like Bam was really hidden from his friends and that he was living a completely new life, so to make the reunion at the end of the Workshop battle more dramatic. Unfortunately he also wove in a lot of world building at the same time.

I think maybe he also wanted to have some doubt that Bam was JVG but I’m not sure why that was. It’s not like we thought Bam was dead at the very end of S1.