Chapter - Tower of God Chapter 385 Discussion / 386 Predictions | Page 18 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Chapter Tower of God Chapter 385 Discussion / 386 Predictions

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I get the feeling he doesn't exactly know what to do with her (or most characters in general), and that he dislikes drawing her fights. Androssi is a pure upclose combatant who relies on punches and kicks which generally involves some level of choreography. But the series have evolved to not much more than shooting energy beams at each other, and when there is fistfighting, it is extremely simple - just check out Zahard's punches against Baam. From an artist's viewpoint, drawing big flashy energy beams is a lot easier than drawing choreographed movements. A drawn out fight with Androssi would be more of the punches and kicks we've seen as of late.

When I think about it, this isn't anything new. He had Androssi lose during the hell train station with some idiot excuse like she didn't know her name would be taken. That was especially dumb when the train station tells you when someone is taking your name, and counts down from ten. Then he never shows the fight itself.
Maybe. I suspect it's more of function of SIU being forced to prioritize who to focus on. Either that or he really does have something he's saving Androssi for.

SIU's never been one to shy away from drawing difficult things

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
That's honestly a huge shortcoming as an author. Don't plan for a story to last 8 years, start building some of it, and then scrap it. 8 years is enough of a red flag to think maybe this isn't such a good idea before he even begins. Even 4 years is far too much.

I don't have hopes for the princess arc if the quality of what we've got is the same/worse, no matter how much build up we've received.
The 8 year bit was hyperbole. But SIU did plan to put a lot more time into the hidden floor's stage clearing if the blog posts are to be believed.

Ripcord

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
SIU’s artistry is top notch. He’s great at drawing big scenes and he draws really enjoyable fights. In the top ranking of authors for being able to see a ton of action in a single panel, he’s not the most skilled. IMO kishimoto from Naruto was amazing at showing how people moved in a still frame.

But at the same time, Kishimoto wasn’t very good at weaving huge plot lines together from far away places. His story was rather linear. And his grand scenes were not quite as grand as in ToG.

My point is that all authors have their strengths and I think SIU is an amazing author to the point that I’m not going to complain that he’s not the greatest I’ve seen for drawing action... if I really want something like that I’ll just add another manga to my weekly routine and enjoy ToG for the amazing artistry and characters that it has.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I don't think SIU doesn't know what to do with his characters, the most prominent ones at least. He definitely knows what he is doing with Androssi. He mentions things which become more important later in the story, AA's self confidence and doubt, Baam's insecurities etc.

I was rather disappointed by Baam's apparently static character for a long time, but it's clear that SIU knows what he is doing with him, he develops things little by little. I expected more team action at the start of this arc too(Team Baam, Rachel, Wangnan etc) but it's not like the arc has been bad, it's been excellent even. I think he can't always put everything he wants in his story arcs as well, but he will definitely make up for it later.

SIU knows how to write good characters and character interactions, his art has improved and his battle scenes as well. The story is also great. I am not saying that I love every single thing about TOG and his choices but he is complete as an author to me.