Tower of God @ Frankfurt Book Fair 2013 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Tower of God @ Frankfurt Book Fair 2013

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Decided to make this a single thread, in case others have something to share as well. Things won't get lost that easily this way too.

Now the pictures:

Advertiser

ToG Fancrowd

Notice the epic pictures in the background :zomg btw, the woman right below the girl with the cam translated for SIU and God of Highschool author.

I was standing on a stair (with places to sit down and read manhwa), the signs you see at the end

SIU

Not the best shots, but the best I could manage :XD I reacted too late when he was about to finish my drawing, so you can only see half his face because he suddenly went up and gave me the book.

Manhwa Window

You could just take the webtoons you see in one of the windows. Took me some time until I realized lol T_T because of that I couldn't get that many webtoons :(

Lifesize Baam

SIU drawing another Baam

Crappy quality because I had to zoom, but I thought maybe you would like to see

Not the Baam he drew for me, that one will follow later.

God of Highschool author

On the outer left side

A bit more will come later, and I guess I will post the Noblesse stuff at the Noblesse section.
Should I go again tomorrow, or not? Damn, I can't decide :XD

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Awesome pictures of Manhwa

They look even better if you see them directly :wtf

Samples

Manhwa History

Smarttoon

Manhwa Reader

You could read all the manhwa there and on the Smarttoon phones, was pretty nice :D

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

Noblesse pictures can be found at the Noblesse @ Frankfurt Book Fair 2013 thread.

Last edited:

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Absolutely fantastic!!! Thanks you very much to both of your. Like Toshu says, let's hope his wrist is fine after all this signing/drawing marathon... From the vids he's very sympathetic guy, and it has a nice smile. Very shy.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So here are some pics of the webtoons

Drawing SIU made for me

ToG Cover

ToG Webtoon insides

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

God of Highschool

Tale of the Herbs

Aisopos

My glorious Naver Webtoon bag

:derp

Manhwa Advertiser

Bookmark

Hellper

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Raizel drawing for me

Noblesse Cover

Noblesse Manhwa insides

Last edited:

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
so was it a one day fair or for the whole weekend....
looks like you had a blast....now i'm jelly of you this time

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Haha :p

The fair is here for several days, but it's only accessible for everyone at the weekend. Before that it's only experts and exhibitor. Would have went today, but lacked the time :crying Maybe they will come here next year again :zomg

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
nao you see why i get so hyped about my local con....it's so nice to be enveloped in a community of manga/anime lovers
if only for a few days....:(
makes me sad that i have 8mths to wait

primuler

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
South Korea
To those who've been to the fair, I have something to ask.

I asked one of my friends to get a drawing of Yuri and Viole for me, and the Yuri SIU drew for me had different hairstyle. A bit like Yihwa's in recent chapters.

The thing is, SIU used to complain that Yuri's hairstyle is too hard to draw like ever since the ToG started.

And few months ago he once mentioned in a chatroom that he might change Lero-ro and Yuri's hair because they're too annoying to draw. I thought it was just another one of his usual complaints and halfhearted joke(which he does often) but seeing this bun-haired Yuri in front of me, it sounds serious now.

Did anyone get drawing of Yuri today or yesterday? How did she look?

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I also somehow managed to visit the Frankfurt Book Fair today! :) And it was amazing! Because ToG is amazing! Because SIU is amazing!

I arrived around 30 minutes earlier before the start of the book signing and there were already a lot of people waiting in line. Thought I wouldn't get a book, but I was lucky and got one. It seemed that they had a huge amount of books in stock, since I saw SIU and Yongje Park still signing books after one and an half hour.

I can confirm that SIU was shy to some degree. Yongje Park on the other hand made the impression to be more spontaneous. Both of them sat next to each other signing the books and there was a woman who acted as an interpreter. While SIU communicated with me via that woman, Yongje Park tried to seek "talks" (it was one question though) with me personally. But I didn't understand him, so the interpreter had to help us out, lol.

He asked me where I'm from and I replied that I'm from Turkey. The interpreter was shocked at first, because she thought I came all the way from Turkey. But I cleared everything up, saying that I'm a turk and living in Germany. I was surprised when she said that they have a lot of turkish fans in korea. I never heard about this.

There was also an awkward moment for me. I didn't know that SIU and Yongje Park are signing the books for one fan simultaneously. I thought there are two seperate waiting lines, but wrong... there was only one waiting line for both of them. I never intended to "meet" Yongje Park, since I don't read The God of Highschool. So, when Yongje Park asked me which character I wish him to draw for me, my mental state was like this:

What I answered:

This was really awkward. :/ Guess, I have to read The God of Highschool now as an apology. :) The signed book with the first six chapters will be a good start I think.

Let's head to SIU. First off I want to say sorry to ukimix. If I had read your post before I went to the Fair, I would have definitely told SIU about your offer. I kinda feel bad. Forgive me. :(

SIU also drew a character for me. I was torn between Aguero and Yuri (actually I wanted to joke a bit and tell him to draw me Enryu or Phantaminum). But I decided for the latter, since Yuri appears very rarely in the chapters. While SIU was drawing Yuri for me, I wanted to ask him a lot of questions. But two things stopped me from doing that. First, I thought it would be impolite to bombard him with questions, while he was drawing. And second, we (I was there with a friend) saw an amazing Kisame-Cosplayer walking around. And I assure you, he was perfect in every sense of the word! I really wanted to take a picture with him, so I kept an eye on that fish. Unfortunately, I lost sight of him.

I still asked SIU two questions:

syx: "I want to see Yuri again, when will we see her?"
SIU: (he laughed first) "I think she won't appear at least for six months."

syx: "Are there any plans for an animated tv series?"
SIU: (shakes his head) "No, there are no plans."

His expression while shaking his head was like - how should I describe it - like he never talked, heared and thought about it.

After both authors drew the characters and signed the books, they let me take a picture with them. :D They were amazing! Very nice guys! It was definitely worth the trip, waiting and money!

-| Some pictures:|-

Naver Webtoon!

SIU & Yongje Park starting to draw for me!

I'm watching you SIU!

I'm still watching you SIU!

I'm coming closer SIU!

Epic wall is epic!

Dal-Dal and ???

Link to your imagination!

I read some old chapters on one of the big screens. Amazing quality!

AGUEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

B....................................!

Tower of God book:

SIU's drawing :zomg:

Tower of God pic #1:

Tower of God pic #2:

The God of Highschool book:

Yongje Park's drawing :zomg:

The God of Highschool pic #1:

The God of Highschool pic #2:

Last edited:

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
There was also an awkward moment for me. I didn't know that SIU and Yongje Park are signing the books for one fan simultaneously. I thought there are two seperate waiting lines, but wrong... there was only one waiting line for both of them. I never intended to "meet" Yongje Park, since I don't read The God of Highschool. So, when Yongje Park asked me which character I wish him to draw for me, my mental state was like this:

What I answered:

This was really awkward. :/ Guess, I have to read The God of Highschool now as an apology. :) The signed book with the first six chapters will be a good start I think.
:rofl Oh man!!! Universe won't forgive you if you don't read that book...

Last edited:
Reactions: syx

primuler

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Thanks syx!! I remember SIU saying that Yuri will not appear during Gongbang Arc, but might appear in the next arc, Jahad's Princess. So more than 6 months left until Yuri appears!! Can I ask you one question? The drawing that SIU gave to you, which character is it? It somewhat looks like Yuri... or is it just my imagination?

EDIT: Ah, my bad. You wrote it there that it's Yuri you requested. Somehow she seems to have different hairstyle from the original. Hmmm....

Last edited:

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
:rofl Oh man!!! Universe won't forgive you if you don't read that book...
Yeah, I know. :D I always wanted to try this series, but never made that first step. But I will definitely read it, promise!

EDIT: Ah, my bad. You wrote it there that it's Yuri you requested. Somehow she seems to have different hairstyle from the original. Hmmm....
Could be because it's "just" a sketch rather than a full detailed picture or a big part of her hair missing. Dunno, seems like we have to wait... at least six months. :lmao

:(

primuler

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Could be because it's "just" a sketch rather than a full detailed picture or a big part of her hair missing. Dunno, seems like we have to wait... at least six months. :lmao

:(
Well the one my friend got for me had a completely different hairstyle: http://me2day.net/primuler_/2013/10/14/p5plxa1-2493

I remember a Korean fan saying that she'll throw a big party on the second anniversary of Yuri's absence. Now we know for sure that she'll have to prepare that party. Only like three months left...

Just asking, in the book there were different pictures for a cover every chapter.

Chapter 1 was Baam and Chapter 4 was Koon. Then who was the cover in chapter 2 and 3? I assume one of them will be Rachel, but who is another one? Yuri?

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Haha nice syx, you should have told me in advance, I would have made time somehow if I knew someone besides me here would be coming :D

And the funny thing is, I did the same as you :lmao I didn't know shit about God of Highschool so I just told him to draw the main character. Funny that we got the exact same sketch, I guess saying "Main character" makes him draw that one :XD

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Chapter 1 was Baam and Chapter 4 was Koon. Then who was the cover in chapter 2 and 3? I assume one of them will be Rachel, but who is another one? Yuri?
Two and three have Baam as well (same picture), otherwise I would have shared them.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Funny how they were on the different side this time. Damn, now I'm regretting I didn't go again :crying

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Did you get your hands on some webtoons syx? I really wanted a Lessa and Girls of the Wild's copy, but there weren't any left =/

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Well the one my friend got for me had a completely different hairstyle: http://me2day.net/primuler_/2013/10/14/p5plxa1-2493
Yuri indeed looks different in that picture. There could be various reasons for that though (fast drawing, more characters = less detailed, it's a sketch after all or Yuri will really look like that in the future). Maybe someone experienced in drawings can give you a better answer.

Just asking, in the book there were different pictures for a cover every chapter.

The cover pages of chapter 1 and 3 are the same (Baam), just like the cover pages of chapter 2 and 4 are (Aguero). naruto-niichan posted them.

Haha nice syx, you should have told me in advance, I would have made time somehow if I knew someone besides me here would be coming :D
I wasn't sure myself till the very end that I would go to the Fair. To be honest, I had no time, that's why I was pretty upset that the Fair was this weekend. But I changed plans, which will most likely lead to some problems in the next couple of days, lol.
Besides, I was rarely active here, because it's such a pain in the ass to navigate on mangahelpers with the smartphone (ads, switching to the appstore with every click, the site itself is not really smartphone-friendly). Most of the posts I read a couple hours ago. :(

But there will be definitely a next time!

And the funny thing is, I did the same as you :lmao I didn't know shit about God of Highschool so I just told him to draw the main character. Funny that we got the exact same sketch, I guess saying "Main character" makes him draw that one :XD
LOL! xD I wonder what he wrote in the speech bubble. "MAIN CHARACTER MY ASS, READ THE FUCKING WEBTOON!"

Did you get your hands on some webtoons syx? I really wanted a Lessa and Girls of the Wild's copy, but there weren't any left =/
Hmh no. We actually never aimed for webtoons other than ToG. I wanted to get my hands on Noblesse, since I know it's a pretty popular and I will maybe read it one day, but we were too late. Noblesses signing ended when ToG's signing started (just checked it). The first thing we did after ToG's signing was to hunt down that Kisame-Cosplayer for 20-30 minutes, lolz. It was really one of the best cosplays I ever saw. The shelves you posted were all empty when we arrived.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I wasn't sure myself till the very end that I would go to the Fair. To be honest, I had no time, that's why I was pretty upset that the Fair was this weekend. But I changed plans, which will most likely lead to some problems in the next couple of days, lol.
Besides, I was rarely active here, because it's such a pain in the ass to navigate on mangahelpers with the smartphone (ads, switching to the appstore with every click, the site itself is not really smartphone-friendly). Most of the posts I read a couple hours ago. :(

But there will be definitely a next time!
Oh, I hope it won't be anything too serious :shakefist
Hmm that's surprising, I can visit the site with my smartphone quite fine, absolutely no ads or such popping up. Well, what's done is done. Let's go next year if they come again, I'm sure Mazino will join us as well, and we can have a little meet and fangasm together :zomg

LOL! xD I wonder what he wrote in the speech bubble. "MAIN CHARACTER MY ASS, READ THE FUCKING WEBTOON!"
Haha, that would be so funny :rofl I guess I will consider to read the webtoon, to make up to him :D

Hmh no. We actually never aimed for webtoons other than ToG. I wanted to get my hands on Noblesse, since I know it's a pretty popular and I will maybe read it one day, but we were too late. Noblesses signing ended when ToG's signing started (just checked it). The first thing we did after ToG's signing was to hunt down that Kisame-Cosplayer for 20-30 minutes, lolz. It was really one of the best cosplays I ever saw. The shelves you posted were all empty when we arrived.
Yeah, it was really early (11 AM to 1 PM). Would it have been later, I surely would have joined, but the start was just too early for me :( Surprising that the shelves were empty, they had webtoons pretty much all day there yesterday. Granted, some were taken pretty fast (like the ToG and Noblesse books), but I thought a few series would remain. I guess they didn't imagine so many people would come, and lost most of the books yesterday lol. I remember one girl even asked one of the staff members for a Girl's of the Wild book and the staffer went and actually found a remaining one in a package :XD One thing is for sure, next year we need to go there as soon as possible!

Reactions: syx

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Oh, I hope it won't be anything too serious :shakefist
Hmm that's surprising, I can visit the site with my smartphone quite fine, absolutely no ads or such popping up. Well, what's done is done. Let's go next year if they come again, I'm sure Mazino will join us as well, and we can have a little meet and fangasm together :zomg
Hehe, don't worry. It's not serious enough to be called as such. Everything will be fine.

Huh, you don't have any problems visiting this site with your smartphone? I thought it's normal and never bothered with it. Well, I guess I have to pm one of the Tech Staff then.

Meeting each other sounds great! Why is this Mazino guy never posting here? This section needs more users that post, even though it has its good side too to be a small group.

Haha, that would be so funny :rofl I guess I will consider to read the webtoon, to make up to him :D
There should be someone around here who can translate what he wrote. It's most likely a standard phrase, but I'm still curious.

Yeah, it was really early (11 AM to 1 PM). Would it have been later, I surely would have joined, but the start was just too early for me :( Surprising that the shelves were empty, they had webtoons pretty much all day there yesterday. Granted, some were taken pretty fast (like the ToG and Noblesse books), but I thought a few series would remain. I guess they didn't imagine so many people would come, and lost most of the books yesterday lol. I remember one girl even asked one of the staff members for a Girl's of the Wild book and the staffer went and actually found a remaining one in a package :XD One thing is for sure, next year we need to go there as soon as possible!
It was my first time at a Book Fair and I only went there because of SIU/TOG. But now I'm regretting some things I didn't do though such as:

• Visiting the Fair on both days (at least this was not possible for me this year).
  • Arriving very early.
  • Preparing better questions to ask the authors. I think my question about when Yuri will appear was very needless to ask in a - possible - once in a liftime situation. But it was a little bit SIU's fault that I asked him that, lol. After I requested Yuri as a character, he asked me if I like her. I answered that Yuri and Aguero are my favorite characters. SIU smiled then. After that I spontaneously said that I want to see her again. He laughed and said that she won't appear for at least six months. I realize now that I forgot to mention this in my initial post and kept it short. I don't know why, maybe because I was pretty tired myself when I wrote that post.
  • Getting as much books and gifts as possible, of course only one per series. Like I said, this was not my aim this year, but I regret this very much!
  • Asking more cosplayers to take a picture with me. They are all very nice and cool.
  • Leaving my jacket in the carl! It was way too warm in there with that much people everywhere.

Next time, I we will be perfectly prepared.

P.S.: Your photos don't work anymore naruto-niichan. :/

Last edited:

Razh

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
So, did anyone ask him to draw Phantaminum or Enryu? :derp

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
So, did anyone ask him to draw Phantaminum or Enryu? :derp
That would tell much of fandom intelligence... Well if nobody did it, that also tells much... :derp