Trying my hand at Edited Manga... opinions please!! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Trying my hand at Edited Manga... opinions please!!

shinji2k

Manga Editor
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading mangas for a couple years now and I always wondered just how much effort it took to get those nice looking Edited Mangas of my favorite chapters. Being a newb with Photoshop it took me a long time just to do the first 9 pages of the latest chapter. I realize now just how hard it is. So please check out my hard work and tell me if it's any good.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/332v8g

Binky

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Well, you joined those pages which is actually more than I can do, we have a "specially trained" guy to do that. ;) (Read: I'm incompotent and don't have a clue what to do, the other guys are lazy, and one guy is particularly quick at it, so it gets foisted on the same poor soul week after week, bless ickle Vitron)

I'd say that the typesetting could use some work, the generally recommended font for Edited Mangas would be Wild Words, and the only way to get better, as the age-old cliché goes is by practising, no particularly heavy faux pas other than the POW!! (Kidding, kidding). ;) Also, I prefer the text in all capitals, but that's just a preference for the sake of neatness

You blacked the blacks, patterned the greys and stuck a gradient behind the sky, all of which is pretty nice work and which is actually generally done only if you're going for MQ and upwards so I'm actually very impressed with that. Probably the area it's lacking in from a cleaning point of view is what I would term "pre-cleaning", that is, the stuff you do prior to blackening and patterning the greys, levelling and so on, I feel that probably slightly too much detail was lost through blurring, you can certainly get away with it but you have to be careful.

ibra87

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
^ Agree with Binky here. If you want more info regarding cleaning and typesetting, be sure to visit MH's very own acedemy MH Academy

shinji2k

Manga Editor
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the input Binky. I didn't like the typesetting either but that's easy to change. I also see those spots where you were talking about losing too much detail. I'm not sure how that came about because I didn't use any blurring. Maybe too much constrast, idk. And that last page was just for fun, I had worked 45 min on the first panel and by then I was pretty tired and just used some texturing to make the last two panels. Don't worry, the batman sounds will coming out when I finish the last page the right way. Anyways, thanks guys.