very first cleaning / please rate/help | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

very first cleaning / please rate/help

mathi36

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hello everybody,
After having visited this site and having seen all the people here working for manga Edited Mangas I just
couldn't help it and started to work a bit, too

For my first cleaning practice I've chosen a page from "P2".

Here's the raw:
http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p201sh7.jpg

and here the cleaned page:
http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p201editedcopynl6.jpg

In the first panel, you can see that I didn't redraw the boxes and stuff behind the 3 persons.
Could you tell me how you would clean that part?

anyway, thank you for helping me to collect some experience ;-)

spades

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
hey mathi :)
i'm just a beginner at cleaning, but hopefully, i can help u out abit.
~i think u used the gradient too many times. u dun have to use it for every gray-turning-white/gray areas.
~redraw the bookshelf (or whatever u call that)? i don't think u need to. if it was me, i would have just cleaned that area, make the colour a little darker and just connect lines that are not connected(if u kno what i mean). i'm not a pro, so if i'm wrong, im very sorry :amuse
~just a bit of dust u have to clean up a little

one last thing i wanna say is, it doesn't really look like a manga anymore (looks like those fan made web comics or something). u don't have to redraw so many things (like the floor).

hope this helps and good luck with cleaning :)

mathi36

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Thank you very much! I'll surely get better by using your advices ;-)!
Have a nice time

Silver_Sea

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
hmm...I could think of a tip, which is about noise.

First you should denoise the LQ RAW with a denoiser like Neat Image, there is a good tutorial written by Yoniekai here at MH Academy. Denoising is not neccessary for HQ scans, but its a gift from heaven for LQ RAWs.

After denoising you can level. After that, judging from how "aged"( noisy/staticky...er you know what I mean?) the RAW greys are, you can "add noise" to your "new" greys, so that it blends into the overall picture instead of leaping out as it does now. (filter>noise>add noise)

Or you can make a new layer under the line art and fill that area with screentones...>.< I dunno where I saw that tute on redrawing greys, but here are some premade screentones by this crazy guy, Psychobob.

last step, not about cleaning, about saving for web as png-8. You can reduce your filesize by 400% and also improve the quality.

Hope it helps. :D

Last edited:

mathi36

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Thank you Silver_Sea,
The denoising-thing really helps much!
I also visited Psychobob's site. The backgrounds and stuff he made really look well,
but unfortunately I don't know how to use these... :-(, still looking for that tutorial you
mentioned.
About saving the page as png-8; I simply forgot to do so although knowing it:s

And thank you for your reply, it really helps ;-)

(I'll reupload a 2nd version of the Edited Mangaed page if I have a bit more time. Right now I'm a bit stressed because I have to write my "Matura-Arbeit".)

Obxist

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
okay one more things from me :D,.. try to blend up your line art with existings line art,.. thats to obvious that you redraw it :D