Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 39 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RafaFedKilla

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought so.

Iwashiro is done with wsj, this is his third failure after Mieru Hito & Psyren, it's almost certain that they won't let him back in the magazine

maybe he could try young jump or square jump & that only if if Shueisha chooses to renew his contract

if you ask me i think he should consider a career as an editor since he have an eye for talent & most of his assistants have become published authors themselves
Psyren ran for 17 volumes it wasn't a failure. I think Shogakukan should sweep him up. They need warm bodies over there. I hope can have another continuous serial somewhere else, I like what he is all about.

Also, it looks like if Best Blue ends next issue it won't be for a new series, so who knows when it wel end..

Last edited:

Oberon

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Cover WSJ #51:

7sun

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I'm happy for Haikyuu that it will get Cover and CP :)
I like Baseball very much... hope the Buddy thing isn't crap. Looking forward to read it.

conankudo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Issue 52:
Center Colour: Buddy Strike, Hinomaru Zumou, Full Charge!! Kaden-chan (One Shot by Konchiki - is serialized in Jump +)

Last edited:

CuriousReborn

Reaction score
Country
Bahrain
Cover WSJ #51:
This cover screams generic sport manga with hot blooded mc and the cool calculated rival. Here’s hoping I’m wrong.

conankudo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
This cover screams generic sport manga with hot blooded mc and the cool calculated rival. Here’s hoping I’m wrong.
KATIO has some balls to draw a Baseball Manga in Jump given the sucessrate of Baseball Mangas in Jump. Rookies with his old school desing was an exception but that was over 10 years ago. However I would prefer a generic sports manga not a fujoshi crap

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really enjoyed Buddy Strike. Kaito certainly evolved as manga. She put the focus early on the characters, while showcasing a hint of action with her dynamic art and perspective. We know she can pull off character moments from Cross Manage, so her expressive art will help her. Can't wait for more.

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
It has showcased the competitive friendship aspect to heights Tokyo Wonder Biys wasn't able to achieve. Seriously guy, check it out. Or wait for Monday.

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Psyren ran for 17 volumes it wasn't a failure. I think Shogakukan should sweep him up. They need warm bodies over there. I hope can have another continuous serial somewhere else, I like what he is all about.

Also, it looks like if Best Blue ends next issue it won't be for a new series, so who knows when it wel end..
it depends on you definition of failure i guess

it didn't end naturally, it got axed because psyren always ranked badly near the bottom with SWOT & Metalluca & its sales were terrible for a Jump manga, iirc it always sold somewhere between 60k & 80k

Same way Tokyo Wonder Boys was bad?
why go so far back? Kagamigami just got canned, Best BLue will get axed next week

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
it depends on you definition of failure i guess

it didn't end naturally, it got axed because psyren always ranked badly near the bottom with SWOT & Metalluca & its sales were terrible for a Jump manga, iirc it always sold somewhere between 60k & 80k
Sales between 60k-80k is not terrible or a failure at all, even by Jump standards. It just wasn't a obscenely popular series like some of it's contemporaries.

There are plenty of series that sold better than Psyren that didn't get "natural endings" either.

A failure by Jump standards is something that only lasts for 2-3 volumes, or even rarer, series that get cancelled at 10 chapters.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Sales between 60k-80k is not terrible or a failure at all, even by Jump standards. It just wasn't a obscenely popular series like some of it's contemporaries.

There are plenty of series that sold better than Psyren that didn't get "natural endings" either.

A failure by Jump standards is something that only lasts for 2-3 volumes, or even rarer, series that get cancelled at 10 chapters.
like a said, it depends on how you look at, for me any series that get axed by the publisher (the author didn't decide to end it) within 3 years is a failure

most shonen authors aim for a long serialization, when they don't to reach that goal i personally can't see it as anything but a failure

Just because a series is cancelled doesn't make it bad.
i know & i don't think kagamigami & best blue are bad because they got cancelled

i think they're bad because they don't give me any enjoyment when i read them

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
like a said, it depends on how you look at, for me any series that get axed by the publisher (the author didn't decide to end it) within 3 years is a failure

most shonen authors aim for a long serialization, when they don't to reach that goal i personally can't see it as anything but a failure
How can it be a failure if Shueisha still made money off of it? They wouldn't put out 17 volumes out of any series if it wasn't turning a profit.

That's the opposite of a failure.

Did Psyren fail to reach the heights of the magazine's most popular series? Of course. But those are insane numbers and it isn't fair to any series to rigidly judge them by that standard IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.