Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 422 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Define "axed"? Is it only for series that were forced to end in under a year? If not then Psyren would of course be in there, because it was forced to rush itself towards the end and obviously cut a lot of content.
Otherwise...

1. Cross Manage
2. Kagamigami
3. DoubleArts
4. Golem Hearts
5. Shudan

Of course Sayuki will take the #1 spot when if it happens. I wanna believe...
Honorable mention for Barrage, which was neat but I'm still very glad Hori moved on to make HeroAca.

At this point it's pretty obvious that WT, despite never consistently being a top series in the ToC, had a very high "quality" of following. Meaning a loyal core of fans that are older than the average and very dedicated, which results in those very high volume sales and also a strong presence with fan-content on platforms like pixiv.
I was very happy that WSJ recognized its worth and supported Ashihara with getting the series back onto its feet and transitioned it to a place that fit his situation.

It really was a shame that the anime adaptation was wasted on Toei. It got better with time at least, but the damage done to the brand in the early episodes was irreversible.
You got exactly in what I mean under "early axed", no worries!

Stivie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I wonder if Hiroshi Shiibashi can come back with a continuation of Nuraryhion no mago, now that he has two failures, the same way that happened to Nobuhiro Watsuki who after Buso Renkin and Embalming went back to doing Rurouni kenshin.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What is your Top 5 list of early axed Shonen Jump manga?

In no order for me..
1. Hitomi no Catoplebas
2. Juuki Ningen Jumbor
3. Double Arts
4. Shuudan
5. Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun
Honorable mentions to Ziga, Kiben Gakuha, Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san and Best Blue
Illegal Rare/Kagamigami
Shuudan
Mx0/Magico
Ultra Battle Satellite
Golem Hearts

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
I completely forgot to mention Hime-Dol. I read that one a few weeks ago, and thought it was pretty nice. Based on it showing up on so many users' lists, I just started reading Double Arts. I'm halfway through, and thus far, it's a pretty nice read. I'm thankful that Nisekoi followed though

Felcis

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I wonder if Hiroshi Shiibashi can come back with a continuation of Nuraryhion no mago, now that he has two failures, the same way that happened to Nobuhiro Watsuki who after Buso Renkin and Embalming went back to doing Rurouni kenshin.
I wouldn't consider Buso Renkin a failure. It didn't run for very long but had a graceful ending, to my knowledge sold rather well in the long run and got a decent anime adaptation. It was a very fine traditional shonen series, imo.
Dunno how successful Embalming was. I kinda tried following it on&off but it seemed like kind of a mess. Still, even though it "only" has 10 volumes, it ran for 8 years.
Your comparison is still somewhat fitting, considering that Watsuki also had Gun Blaze West, which completely tanked, and how successful Kenshin was/is in comparison.

Not sure if just everyone can just whip out their old success and remake it, though. It seems safe at first glance but I assume that it would happen more often if it was without problems, especially if the idea has already been milked dry. Are there more relevant examples aside from Kenshin (not counting franchises in different hands like with Dragonball)?

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Illegal Rare/Kagamigami
Shuudan
Mx0/Magico
Ultra Battle Satellite
Golem Hearts
Magico and especially MX0 weren't really axed early, but Kagamigami would fit the place anyways so Top 5 is still there!

Also I liked UBS ("popcorn" manga with it's purpose being a mindless fun). I don't really miss it, but certainly enjoyed it more than a lot of other Jump manga.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dunno how successful Embalming was. I kinda tried following it on&off but it seemed like kind of a mess. Still, even though it "only" has 10 volumes, it ran for 8 years.
Wasn't it on hiatus for like the last 3?

Felcis

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Wasn't it on hiatus for like the last 3?
Right, he started that Kenshin reboot during that time. Totally forgot about that.
I still don't know how successful Embalming was overall, especially for a title of JQ.

SalesNerd69

Reaction score
Country
India
Are the digital sales rankings basically the same as physical ones? As in OP, AoT, kingdom, PNL , etc or a bit different?

TIA

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Are the digital sales rankings basically the same as physical ones? As in OP, AoT, kingdom, PNL , etc or a bit different?

TIA
Found this post from MangAniMY.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'm still waiting for Iwamoto Naoki to return, the guy has so much potential, it's quite bizarre how he never tried another serialization in Jump after Magico, only one shots.

Stivie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'm still waiting for Iwamoto Naoki to return, the guy has so much potential, it's quite bizarre how he never tried another serialization in Jump after Magico, only one shots.
will see he does not want to go back, maybe he gave up making manga.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
will see he does not want to go back, maybe he gave up making manga.
Not really, his last one shot was in 2016 on Next! and he also published in 2016 a manga for the "Battle Spirits" franchise on Saikyo Jump, one of these franchises for kids.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Just now i realised that Senkuu it's providing the fire for Souma lol nice detail.

There's some nice designs in the new series and one shots from the new GIGA issue, my favorites:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Why did they shift Dr. Stone to Giga?

Is it also ending like Soma?

Status
Not open for further replies.