Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Which old WSJ manga do you wish got an anime adaptation?

• Total voters

revo68

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Kimetsu no Yaiba (Cover/LCP)
Dr. Stone
One Piece
The Promised Neverland
Black Clover
We Never Learn (CP)
Jujutsu Kaisen
Mission: Yozakura Family
Haikyuu!!
Mitama Security
Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
Haken Samurai (Oneshot/CP/43p) by Maeda Ryouhei
act-age
Chainsaw Man
Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru
Yui Kamio Lets Loose
Double Taisei
Tokyo Shinobi Squad
Beast Children

Cover & LCP
: One Piece
CP: Black Clover; Haikyuu!!; Jujutsu Kaisen

Last edited:

101nemesis

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
India
How about we talk about the chances Mitama and Yozakura have? We didn't dive into that enough.
How was Yozakura? The CPs were fantastic but how was the manga itself?

ShenGao

Anti-Hero
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I would say it's interesting. The plot so far is: The MC was forced to marry his childhood friend, who is the leader of her mafia/assassin family, and now he has to train to protect her from other assassins.

animeexpert

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
And TSS had a recommendation from a famous author to boot. Oh dear...
imagine getting co-signed by a goat that refined a genre, but still get cancelled :pwned:emobirb
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

you can resemble it with hitman reborn & reborn training tsuna, but more refined

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
There are plenty of examples of series catching steam later on.
I think one of the poster children for that is Dragon Ball. According to Toriyama himself, the series wasn't all that popular at first, so he created its first tournament arc with 21st Tenkaichi Budokai to make it more popular. And then of course later, the series exploded in popularity with the Saiyan Arc and its follow-up (not that it was unpopular or anything before that, but there was another jump then).

"And then the Tenka’ichi Budōkai began. But why did you do that sort of a development?"

"Up until the Tenka’ichi Budōkai began, the series hadn’t been all that popular. That’s what Torishima-san had told me. “Your protagonist is rather plain. That’s why it’s not popular.”, he said. Personally, since I was doing a fighting story for this series, I had intentionally made the protagonist’s clothing excessively plain. So this annoyed me, but then I figured it out. “Well, let’s increase its popularity” I thought. When I had designed Goku’s character, the words that best represented him were “I want to become strong”. So I thought I’d bring that to the front. Even during “Dr. Slump”, the tournament-like events such as the Penguin Village Gran Prix or the Mini-Event had been amazingly popular. So I’d simply make the story into a tournament format. From there the Tenka’ichi Budōkai was born. I temporarily withdrew the other characters besides Goku, brought back Kame-Sen’nin, and added Kuririn as a new character. From there it got popular before I knew it."

Last edited:

SalesNerd69

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Who is your favorite "master/teacher" character from jump history?

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
1. Such treatment is not new to the world of entertainment. It's not surprising. It would be surprising if this treatment was NOT given.

2. You cannot say it won't be a super success like Naruto. The series is not even 20 chapters old.
There are plenty of examples of series catching steam later on. Bleach picked up on popularity from SS arc. OP sold double its original peak due to the movie and time skip. Kingdom sold a respectable 200k with Anime for years before it got the massive boosts. KNB ranked poorly but still sold decently enough and gained enough popularity to go on to sell a million per volume.

3. You cannot tell me any one of the above are special cases since Kishimoto's return is a special case on its own. So you cannot predict what or how the series will do. None of us can. So to the people who keep stating its gonna fail like some sort of fact, stop. You cannot see the future.

Can we leave this topic now and wait till it starts selling? Cool beans?
What I was trying to say is that what make great mangas is not marketing, it is great stories. It rarely works to do a lot of marketing without a good story.
For example, Spy x Family came out of nowhere and it is popular now beyond possible without much marketing. I came to know SxF with the oneshot on Jump because of the CP and you may say that it is marketing, but I think it was already a thing before that and without a good story it would be a waste of pages.
That's what I don't like, understand? Marketing without even knowing if the series is good or bad. I believe in merit. I know it happens and nothing will change, I'm just venting.

Kolbe

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Korosensei for sure. I also like Jiraya and all the Dragon Ball ones, especially Karin

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Fellas still think Deku is a unique MC? I remember defending how Osamu was a more unique MC than Deku.
And I thank you for your good, hard and rightful work, great Sir! Keep spreading the truth!

Blink, you're about three convo topics too late on that comment.
Bro, it's never too late to say that Osamu is a more unique MC than Deku. XD

Easy, Koro-sensei, next.

As for SxF, it is still in the rankings, dayum! 2nd volume might get 100k+ sales after a week if those numbers keep up. I doubt Jump+ expected SxF to blow up like that when they put the first chapter on their website.^^

Mr.Fujimaster

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Anzai (Slam Dunk)
Jiraiya (Naruto)
Koro-sensei (Ansatsu Kyoshitsu)
Roshi and Piccolo (Dragon Ball)
Genkai (Yu Yu Hakusho)

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Piggy backing off of the Mentor/Sensei question.
Does anyone think Master Roshi aged badly as a character?
Personally I thought he was funny and cool as a kid, but now I sorta find him a creep. Dragon Ball super made him even worse

Rain Spectre

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Piggy backing off of the Mentor/Sensei question.
Does anyone think Master Roshi aged badly as a character?
Personally I thought he was funny and cool as a kid, but now I sorta find him a creep. Dragon Ball super made him even worse
Absolutely, especially considering Japan's ever increasing issues surrounding sexual harassment. It's the same deal with Sanji. It's telling that Mineta as a character pretty much exists in a constant state of being abused, and even he's considered by a lot of people a step too far.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Today I read Samurai 8, Tokyo Shinobi Squad and The Promised Neverland (I read three per day, bear with me, have to make subway rides entertaining all week).
Let's not gonna talk about Samurai 8, skip that.
Toyko Shinobi Squad is good, I really don't know why it is going that bad, maybe way too much competition, almost the entire magazine competes with it. Maybe the readers don't relate much with an already "established" character, meaning, Narumikai is already professional, they know what they are doing and there isn't much evolution, except En, who cannot carry a series on his own. It has been a slice of life with action so far and this formula can get boring pretty quickly.
The Promised Neverland is very hard to talk about without giving spoilers, but...
It seems like now the authors are trying to convince people that demons are righteous creatures somehow and failing miserably.

Kharthas

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Regarding the Neverland spoiler, I really hate when authors pull this. Most of the times, it just feels very forced.

Buranchi

Hex Food World Chef
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Everyone @hisoga had an interesting idea that he mentioned to me, that I wanted to run by you guys.

Do you guys want the previous polls to be archived and brought up from time to time to discuss them in the future? That includes posting screenshots of who voted for what in each category.

Furthermore, while I do think this is a good idea, I ask that there be a volunteer to handle this duty. This volunteer would archive and periodically bring up previous polls.

Not only that, this volunteer (or volunteers, if you guys want) would also be allowed to come up with ideas for future polls. Does that sound like something that would interest you guys?