Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 62 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just started reading Act-Age, and I have to say I am very impressed by the way Kei Yonagi is portrayed, her backstory (even if a "shonen MC without parents" cliche is pulled yet again), the concept. While the art can fluctuate a bit and be slightly even, the faces are just top notch, especially how eyes are shown. Which matters for a manga like this.

Also, Ao no Flag just again confirms it is by far the best Shonen Jump+ manga and it's not even close. This latest chapter alone shows how well you can show tension and emotions just with panels without any dialogue (or even text). Art and characterization are top notch. Impressive. Really glad KAITO found himself a hit after Buddy Strike failing miserably.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Really glad KAITO found himself a hit after Buddy Strike failing miserably.
is it really a hit considering its sales numbers have not been noticable or remarkable.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
is it really a hit considering its sales numbers have not been noticable or remarkable.
It's a part of the 11 ongoing club (7th) that actually charts on Oricon from SJ+ manga. SJ+ relies on World's End Harem franchise, Boys over Flowers and Franxx for sales (along with spinoffs of WSJ manga). Not a hit by any means regularly speaking, but for a platform which has gazillion of manga which all bombed horribly, this is a success. Heh, maybe I exaggerated it, though.

I would wish it was a bigger success than it is. And anime if possible.

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't say that a foreign animator cant put out quality and/or are inferior.
Lol dude you literally said you don't think they could produce quality work.
I don't think they'd be able to pull off the paneling/style of manga anyway and would be more likely to put out quality that is below the standard.

Besides, do you seriously think that Jump, with their notoriously strict standards, would let a foreigner into the magazine just because of "novelty"? They don't even have a female editor.

Tamil

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Lol dude you literally said you don't think they could produce quality work.

Besides, do you seriously think that Jump, with their notoriously strict standards, would let a foreigner into the magazine just because of "novelty"? They don't even have a female editor.
I said that about being a mangaka/manga artist, at least work that's enough to even survive. I never said that about animators. All I said regarding race is that it bothers me a bit to see french (or any western) animators working in Japan solely over the fact that I like Japan being homogeneous as possible. It's a personal preference of mine as I mentioned.

I do believe a foreigner will struggle more as a mangaka/manga artist and are more likely of producing lesser quality work that won't last very long in a competitive magazine like WSJ. It has nothing to do with their race but more so their environment (work life/influences/etc) as I mentioned in my first post.

I wasnt speaking on the perspective of Jump but rather us. I think some people here would blindly open up to the idea of a foreigner artist for novelty without considering various aspects like the work life & experience needed to be a mangaka that has the talent to survive in WSJ. Boichi is a madman and Koreans grew up in a brutal work environment similar to Japan but even then he manages to draw for 2 series, so I do consider him a big time exception. His work ethic is overall exceptional. A western foreigner is likely to not survive in WSJ and will have a very hard time adapting to that life style, especially if they came from a 9-5 job. It's the sad truth, at least for you guys who are in favor of foreign mangaka or manga artist lol.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wasnt speaking on the perspective of Jump but rather us.
Youre not speaking for me, Im not racist.

I dont see why a person who was not raised in JPN would be unable to you know handle it, also I cant imagine there arent JPN artists who were not raised in JPN but eventually moved back are not in the manga industry.

Only thing I can see a western person being unable to match their JPN person counterparts is stuff like Im from JPN or other things with really rooted in JPN culture type of thongs that cant so readily be researched on the internet (then again they could find collaborators and historical researchers...golden kamuy style)

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Seriously that you guys needs to call someone "racist" just because his own personal preferences over who produces or write/draw anime and manga? last time i checked this is a forum not twitter or tumblr where someone is called "racist" or "nazi" because he doesn't share the same view or opinion about something.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seriously that you guys needs to call someone "racist" just because his own personal preferences over who produces or write/draw anime and manga? last time i checked this is a forum not twitter or tumblr where someone is called "racist" or "nazi" because he doesn't share the same view or opinion about something.
I wouldn’t call it racist at all, but I do think having a preference in general over the nationality and race of a animator/manga creator is a bit weird

supercow297

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's literally racist. Doesn't mean he's a bad person since there really isn't much at stake, but he's clearly preferring one race and excluding the others when it comes to this particular field.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
So? he prefers that Japanese people produce and write/draw japanese manga and anime, what is so bad about it? i have no problem with foreign animators working in anime but i do prefer reading mangas by japanese authors or at least asian authors than western authors, is a personal preference, nothing to be called "racist".

diatasty

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
So? he prefers that Japanese people produce and write/draw japanese manga and anime, what is so bad about it? i have no problem with foreign animators working in anime but i do prefer reading mangas by japanese authors or at least asian authors than western authors, is a personal preference, nothing to be called "racist".
whats the diffence behind an american, brazilian or malasian mangaka and a japanese?
the japanese obviously will have more recourses, but the potencial is the same.
nationality/genre is not a matter of quality or preference, everyone can do this.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it would be a bit weird for me to have that standpoint given that I’m not Japanese myself.
I can understand a Japanese person having the stand point of “it’s a Japanese industry”(although I guess that would be pretty xenophobic coming from a Japanese person).

However, for me, a Western Black Guy. If a white French guy drew a manga, and it’s drawn in a manga style, I would see ino reason to feel any different about it than I would a manga from a Japanese guy.

But like I said, I wouldn’t label somebody a racist over having that preference. Just don’t quite understand why that would be a preference to begin with

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It's a matter of culture, not ethnicity.
Asian countries have a far more rigorous education and work ethic than most western countries, and those without that cultural conditioning would be less likely to succeed in the workforce. Especially in such a competitive field.
Let's not rush into labeling and lumping together any type of complex distinction based on culture as "racist". It's intellectually lazy and just fuels mob mentality and misunderstandings. There are many differences between cultures that have nothing to do with race.

Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
whats the diffence behind an american, brazilian or malasian mangaka and a japanese?
the japanese obviously will have more recourses, but the potencial is the same.
nationality/genre is not a matter of quality or preference, everyone can do this.
I think it would be a bit weird for me to have that standpoint given that I’m not Japanese myself.
I can understand a Japanese person having the stand point of “it’s a Japanese industry”(although I guess that would be pretty xenophobic coming from a Japanese person).

However, for me, a Western Black Guy. If a white French guy drew a manga, and it’s drawn in a manga style, I would see ino reason to feel any different about it than I would a manga from a Japanese guy.

But like I said, I wouldn’t label somebody a racist over having that preference. Just don’t quite understand why that would be a preference to begin with
lol why would be xenophobic for a japanese person to prefer a manga made by a japanese person over a american or french? it's their country, their culture, traditions and etc, what do you think it would be the answer if you ask here in Brazil if people prefer a "soap opera" being written by a brazilian writer or a japanese that knows nothing about brazilian's taste? it's about culture and traditions.

Also, isn't weird to someone that isn't a japanese to prefer a japanese person writing a manga, it's like you guys see manga as something that like "meh, whatever, everyone can make this shit and will be the same thing", and no, it's not, manga is what it is because is pretty much a representation and reflection of the japanese society, culture and traditions, why many people love anime and manga here? because is something totally different than our western culture, this is why many animes suffered with censorship and religious hunts, because is something from a different country with different views and traditions than the west.

Yes, a brazilian (No Game no Life), american or french (Radiant looks pretty cool) can make a manga, but only because they have all the references from many other series they read or watch or if they actually live in Japan for a long time, you will not see some random western author creating a "traditional manga" out of nowhere without actually knowing something about manga/anime, why? because it's not their culture, and it's the opposite too, many western books or hq wouldn't be the same if written by a regular japanese person that doesn't have the same culture and taste than a american person.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
lol why would be xenophobic for a japanese person to prefer a manga made by a japanese person over a american or french? it's their country, their culture, traditions and etc, what do you think it would be the answer if you ask here in Brazil if people prefer a "soap opera" being written by a brazilian writer or a japanese that knows nothing about brazilian's taste? it's about culture and traditions.

Also, isn't weird to someone that isn't a japanese to prefer a japanese person writing a manga, it's like you guys see manga as something that like "meh, whatever, everyone can make this shit and will be the same thing", and no, it's not, manga is what it is because is pretty much a representation and reflection of the japanese society, culture and traditions, why many people love anime and manga here? because is something totally different than our western culture, this is why many animes suffered with censorship and religious hunts, because is something from a different country with different views and traditions than the west.

Yes, a brazilian (No Game no Life), american or french (Radiant looks pretty cool) can make a manga, but only because they have all the references from many other series they read or watch or if they actually live in Japan for a long time, you will not see some random western author creating a "traditional manga" out of nowhere without actually knowing something about manga/anime, why? because it's not their culture, and it's the opposite too, many western books or hq wouldn't be the same if written by a regular japanese person that doesn't have the same culture and taste than a american person.
That essentially the same as say
A black person saying “only black people are allowed to to make rap music”.
What if a Japanese person wanted to come to America to write a Superhero comic book, and someone told them “well you can’t make a superhero comic because Superheroes are traditionally an American thing. You’re not from here”
Or what if a Japanese person was writing a Superman comic book, and someone said “I don’t like Superman being writen by a Japanese person. I prefer when white guys write him”

Unless you’re trying to write a manga rooted in Japanese Culture, and you have no understanding of that culture, I don’t see how anyone would have an issue.

Assuming a none Japanese person did try to create for Jump, most likely they live in Japan, and speak Japanese.
You wouldn’t find it weird, or a little prejudice for Jump to say “I understand you live in Japan, and speak Japanese, but you can’t work for us because we don’t want None-Japanese people working here”

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
you will not see some random western author creating a "traditional manga" out of nowhere without actually knowing something about manga/anime, why? because it's not their culture, and it's the opposite too, many western books or hq wouldn't be the same if written by a regular japanese person that doesn't have the same culture and taste than a american person.
I dont think this is accurate. I mean that seems like something that may matter if your story is set in [insert real country] but for something set in like space, or [insert fictional world], it seems unlikely that there is a necessity to see the series "obverse traditional jpn culture" if anything it can be jarring if a story taking place in ancient greece is conforming to "traditional japanese culture"

At the end of the day, all that matters is a writer can write for whatever medium if the setting is well researched that they convinced you that it follows the presumed cultures that one believes that culture observes.

Should mangas adapting non japanese sports just not be written by jpn people, should mangas set in chinese wars just not be written by jpn peoples? Should mangas set outside of JPN just not be written by jpn people? Should sports mangas, just not be written by people who never played such sports? Should akira amano not have written Reborn? Its not like she happened to have grown up as a mafioso in Italy. Should isekais set in a fantasy world, just not be written? its not like the writers have experienced what its like to be a slave in a foreign kingdom.

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
How did we even get here? (I know it is from Nak's interview)

anyway...

the only thing that matter is the quality of the work itself, that is all.

not saying preferring a certain type of work to be produced by certain set of people is immediately racist/xenophobic, but that definitely sounds like stereotyping and narrow minded to me,

anyone can draw manga, anyone can animate, the point being if the quality of the product is good or not,
whether the artist themselves is going for a certain style which may or may not work out for them( even if it doesn't, that just mean they needed more practice/experience),
and if style/feel of the work is suited to someone's taste or not (to each their own).

certain styles of comics can only done by certain people is a product of the past where foreign works are mostly regarded as a novelty. we now live in a connected world, and influence can come from any region of the globe.

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
LAND LOCK Vol 1 sold less than 2,2k for WHOLE 7 DAYS. What a gigantic flop for Shueisha and Shonen Jump+, eek.
it's fully colored isn't it? which means it cost more
also Jump Plus relies on ad money not just volumes sales, if it gets them enough hits it's not going anywhere

Really glad KAITO found himself a hit after Buddy Strike failing miserably.
do we know if Kaito is a he?

Kaito worked as an assistant for Amano on Hitman Reborn before Cross Manage
and worked as an assistant for Iori on Akatsuki no Tyrant for Weekly Shonen Sunday after Buddy Strike was cancelled

Kenji Sakaki (Enigma) Ren Saizaki (Zetsuen no Tempest) Shou Aimoto (Kemono Jihen) all were assistants for Amano on Hitman Reborn too

all the mangaka mentioned above are females mangaka drawing shonen manga

so there's a good chance Kaito is a woman

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Seems like you guys didn't understand anything that i said kkkkk

Let's do this again, manga is a product that reflects directly the japanese society, culture, traditions, the way they think and etc, it's a JAPANESE PRODUCT made for JAPANESE'S TASTE! It's a CULTURAL thing, it is what it is because it's made by them, no one said that a foreign can't write or draw a manga, we have many examples, and what all these foreign authors do? emulate in their works everything that japanese authors usually do, because it's their culture and taste, "manga" isn't just something that you call whatever you created because you want it, and trying to imply that someone or even japanese people are "racist" or "xenophobic" if they prefer a japanese writing a japanese manga is ridiculous, so cut the "what if a white person wants to rap or if a japanese wants to write superman but can't" argument because i never said that someone should or not be allowed to creat a manga or american comic book because isn't from Japan or America, let's not try to twist people's words, all this conversation started because someone was being called racist for having a harmless personal opinion, and i'm pointing the fact that it's nothing wrong in having personal preferences, simple, if someone can't comprehend that, i can't do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.