Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1489 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Really? I heard the rumours a while ago that he himself implied he would be taking part in the movie.
Yeah I think I was the one who posted about those rumors here a while back lol, but he wasn't in the movie.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Yeah I think I was the one who posted about those rumors here a while back lol, but he wasn't in the movie.
Welp, that’s on you then. :p

That’s a shame though, because I would’ve probably gone to see the movie just for Yutapon alone.

Xzone

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
Right now KnY's volume is #1 is Amazon Japan's bestseller, and a pack of volume 1-19 is #3, I expected KnY to get a boost in sales, even get all the top 10 spots of Oricon again maybe? But it's just weird that volume 1 would be the best seller like I would have guessed people would start buying the volume where the movie finished..?

I find it interesting and worth pointing out that the generation that this movie/franchise targets is the same generation of the Yokai Watch mania, that got the franchise to have the biggest animated film opening in Japan back in 2014... The franchise got a huge explosion in popularity (even surpassing Pokemon, some people thought Pokemon would die and Yo-Kai watch would take its place, hindsight is a lovely thing isn't it?) and now it's more like Yo-kai what? The new movie didn't even get 10% of what the first one did 7 years ago.

Why am I making these comparisons? Am I calling Kimetsu no Yaiba a fad like Yo-Kai watch ended up being? Nope, but it's certainly interesting that it's the same target generation, kids who were six to twelve 7 years ago are now teenager/young adults... But KnY appeals to a way broader audience, like 12-30ish years old instead of Yo-kai's range that was probably 4-12ish.

The decline of Yo-Kai watch is pretty easy to understand, these kids simply grew and Yo-kai couldn't get new "watchers" (pun intended haha), kinda like some YouTubers complain that the youtube algorithm wants them to fail when the reality is that their audiences grew and don't care about that content anymore, but the same is not true for Kimetsu no Yaiba as its fanbase is probably old enough to love and cherish the story for the rest of their lives (or at least for some years).

Also, I think if they play their cards right they could make the ending or a prologue of Kimetsu no Yaiba a movie and break even more records.
Yokai watch was a IP manage by an incompetent devs and bad luck, they are way different because:
1) Level 5 franchise decline always happens
2) How bad they manage their west expansion(IE Galaxy wasn't released in the west)
3)Faces the second Pokemonmania with Pokemon Go
4)The 4 game was darker to the people who grew with Yokai Watch but it didn' t work.
The IP could still be like in early 10s because kids growing up was only one of the problems(the same way that layton or inazuma could still be bigger than what they are now)

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I'm really curious about what will be the Horikoshi project that made him go on break this issue. I think is going to be or movie or artbook.

We are back to last week regarding "what will be next issue cover?". I again see only Dr.Stone and MHA as options, but then Chainsawman can happen the same way Jujutsu Kaisen happened for the upcoming cover

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Tamura is a one trick pony. Cops and Detective with a delinquent personality and the same arc structures as Beel and Hungry Marie

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Some of you have probably seen it, but......

Welp, if anyone asks just how BIG HeroAca has gotten, look no further than this.

Am I an ungrateful ass for wishing it would sell a little more?

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
In other order of news, Amazon pre-sales ranks:
Magu-chan 6,152
Roboco and Me 19,852
Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin 20,368

Not looking good for Cop and Dolphin
Uff, I know we are still days away from any real figure but those numbers are still...uff.
Magu chan, hang in there.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Cop and Dolphin performs under the other two, Tamura's current situation is pretty similar to Shiibashi with Kamio Yui. His big hit lost steam towards the end, then his big return failed, so now much of the hype is gone si now he's just another regular author.

Last edited:

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Magu-chan 6,152
Roboco and Me 19,852

To be fair, all 3 are above Mission: Yozakura Family 5 right now and I highly doubt all 3 will outsell it. Amazon rankings are interesting to look at, but they are very volatile and it all comes down to the daily/weekly rankings we get when the volumes are actually released. Not saying I have faith Shakunetsu no Niraikanai will perform well, but it's wait and see as usual.

Last edited:

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
To be fair, all 3 are above Mission: Yozakura Family 5 right now and I highly doubt all 3 will outsell it. Amazon rankings are interesting to look at, but they are very volatile and it all comes down to the daily/weekly rankings we get when the volumes are actually released. Not saying I have faith Shakunetsu no Niraikanai will perform well, but it's wait and see as usual.
I mean you can also include kindle version rankings:

Maguchan: 1,768th
Yozakura: 2,974th
Roboco: 4,715
Cop and Dolphin: 11,829th

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Magu-chan 6,152
Roboco and Me 19,852

Given that out of all of these, Magu-chan's TOC position has on average been the lowest, I wonder if that means it'll end up being another Agravity Boys type situation where it seemingly must sell somewhat better digitally than purely looking at the print numbers? I really hope Magu-chan can pull of the upset and actually sell well-enough to keep surviving

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
When do you think we'll see a Roboco colour page? It's funny how it's the only of its batch without one now despite performing best in the ToC of the 4.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
We have yet to see the sales of Magu chan, Roboko and Shakunetsu.
But don't you think it would be bad to have another Agravity boys in the magazine?

I'm not talking about the quality of the manga, I'm talking about having another manga that doesn't grow in sales and always stays at the same values.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
We have yet to see the sales of Magu chan, Roboko and Shakunetsu.
But don't you think it would be bad to have another Agravity boys in the magazine?

I'm not talking about the quality of the manga, I'm talking about having another manga that doesn't grow in sales and always stays at the same values.
Eh, stable sales are better than nothing at least. What WSJ needs right now is some more stability after all, even if they're not huge series it is still nice to have something we can trust to stick around for a while instead of half the magazine always being at risk of cancellation.

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
what if we're all wrong and Magu actually does like 20k+

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Now would be an ideal time for HxH to return. Of the 19 current series in WSJ, 13 of them started after it last appeared in the magazine.

Would help keeping the roster of hits up for an extra few months after WNL ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.