Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1593 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The tiers change over time. The standards of what is great and what isn’t so great is fluctuates throughout the years for Jump.

Obviously Yozakura would have been axed in different circumstances. But as of now, it’s been in the magazine for over a year, been getting healthy placements and color pages as of late and it’s clear that it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. It’s rocky start is irrelevant, when it a longer series in a healthy state now

It’s just silly to say that they decide the order of adaptations based on 30K differences in sales. They likely just come when
A. A studio is interested in adapting the series
B. There’s enough material for a healthy production
C. The timeslots align.

On top of that. The order we get Anime announcements may not even be the order they’ve been picked up for an anime. For all we know all 3 could have anime talks in the works
But by your definition Yozakura would be on chainsaw's tier because their first few volumes were only off 20-30k lol, it doesn't make any sense. These differences are big early on, and like I said, it's not just about where they stand now but where they are projected to be. Mashle's backlog consistently charts on shoseki, where yozakura is still below 30k on monthly at volume 5 Mashle is likely to be at around 70-80k by that mark, I can actually predict that Mashle is going to keep outgrowing and outpacing Yozakura just by observing how their backlog performs. Claiming Yozakura is in the same tier as Mashle is absurd, there's a reason Mashle got a second cover and a push campaign and Yozakura did not.

Anime offers don't even matter much, something like Samon probably got some, did it get one? No. It's just about what Shueisha wants to greenlight in the first place. They could greenlight an adaptation they got 0 offers for, even, it doesn't matter at all.

The tiers change over time? Sure, is it still silly to consider what agravity sells as "decent/solid"? Yeah, it's still a bottom feeder series with no long term prospect that has lived until now because of veterans ending and series flopping harder.

Volume sales doesn't really matter when it comes to a manga getting a anime adaptation, "100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru" from Bessatsu Shonen Magazine is having a anime airing now, reportedly improving the manga sales but the last volume released on September (a month before the anime) didn't even appeared in the Oricon Top 50 with 5 days, on Shoseki did "17,308", less than Yozakura #5, and this is only 1 example from the current season. Shueisha/SJ don't have to wait for any studio to be "interested", if they want to, they can just fund it themselves and hire a studio, also no one here really knows about what is going on behind the scenes, anime adaptations can be (reportedly) decided even before the first volume of a series is released, so as we speak now, maybe a Yozakura anime is already decided or even in production and we just don't know yet, same applies to Mashle or Undead.
Bessatsu as a magazine has 50k circulation. Mashle alone sells more than it. Why even bring it up for comparison lol.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Bessatsu as a magazine has 50k circulation. Mashle alone sells more than it. Why even bring it up for comparison lol.
Why you're even bringing a magazine print number? this has zero connection with studio picking a manga to adapt lol

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
But by your definition Yozakura would be on chainsaw's tier because their first few volumes were only off 20-30k lol, it doesn't make any sense. These differences are big early on, and like I said, it's not just about where they stand now but where they are projected to be. Mashle's backlog consistently charts on shoseki, where yozakura is still below 30k on monthly at volume 5 Mashle is likely to be at around 70-80k by that mark, I can actually predict that Mashle is going to keep outgrowing and outpacing Yozakura just by observing how their backlog performs. Claiming Yozakura is in the same tier as Mashle is absurd, there's a reason Mashle got a second cover and a push campaign and Yozakura did not.

Anime offers don't even matter much, something like Samon probably got some, did it get one? No. It's just about what Shueisha wants to greenlight in the first place. They could greenlight an adaptation they got 0 offers for, even, it doesn't matter at all.

The tiers change over time? Sure, is it still silly to consider what agravity sells as "decent/solid"? Yeah, it's still a bottom feeder series with no long term prospect that has lived until now because of veterans ending and series flopping harder.

If Chainsaw Man was still selling 50K right now I WOULD say Yozakura and Chainsaw Man were in the same tier, and that makes sense.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
But isn't you talking about only the first chapter? TPG first chapter was like the most hyped and praised first chapter of the year in this forum.
I diverged a bit with my ending remarks. I had a bunch of pre-release hype for TPGW, but if anything, that made the reality of me being disappointed by the first chapter sting that much worse in the end.

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Why you're even bringing a magazine print number? this has zero connection with studio picking a manga to adapt lol
Because "a studio picking a manga to adapt" is completely irrelevant when it's still up to the mag to make the decision to greenlight an adaptation in the first place. Just because bessatsu can see value in adapting a series with those kind of sales doesn't mean WSJ does as well. Where a series like "I'm standing on 100 lives" is a fine performer for a magazine like Bessatsu, these kind of sales would not grant it an anime on WSJ. Why are we even discussing this...

If Chainsaw Man was still selling 50K right now I WOULD say Yozakura and Chainsaw Man were in the same tier, and that makes sense.
But this literally makes no sense whatsoever...you think a volume 1 selling 40k and a volume selling 14k are on the same tier because "it's just a 30k difference", and that a series selling 56k at volume 3 with over 10k VoV growths is the same as a series selling 22k at volume 4 with 2-3k growths VoV.

It's not the same at all, there is a big gap between these performances, the fact that we're even having to argue about this alone is making me confused.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Because "a studio picking a manga to adapt" is completely irrelevant when it's still up to the mag to make the decision to greenlight an adaptation in the first place. Just because bessatsu can see value in adapting a series with those kind of sales doesn't mean WSJ does as well. Where a series like "I'm standing on 100 lives" is a fine performer for a magazine like Bessatsu, these kind of sales would not grant it an anime on WSJ. Why are we even discussing this...
Why you're even discussing something you don't know about it as if you know? are you editor on WSJ? do you have access of informations about the behind the scenes on SJ meetings and stuff? how you know for a fact what kind of sales would or not grant a anime adaptation on WSJ or any other magazine, specially in the current industry and SJ state? you're not speaking facts or being realistic as you think you are, you're just forcing a personal opinion as if is a fact/realistic.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
When even was the last WSJ series to last past ch 100 and not get an anime? Other than Act-age which no doubt would be getting one if not for the scandal. Hinomaru Zumou eventually got one as a 30k club member, even Isobe got a series of special shorts.

If Yozakura gets a full run, I'm sure it'll get an anime at some point. Could be just a cheap rushed one from a minor studio like with Hinomaru Zumou, but it'll get one.

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
Mashle/UU are not on the same tier as Yozakura Family.
This isn't even up for debate.

The fact that these two actually post decent numbers for newbies with big Vol over Vol growths and chart consistently in top 500 for months on end is proof that they are growing. Their sales alone combined with the fact that they are the only newbies that got covers along with multiple CPs is proof of that difference.
Yozakura even finished a 1 year anniversary and didn't get a cover.

Yozakura is safe for now because pretty much most of the newer series are selling below it. But all it would take is 2-3 newbies to outperform it to put it back on the chopping block. And we just got Build King and Sakamoto Days. Both have potential to be big hits. Assuming those 2 series end up with sales similar to Mashle, Yozakura would be back fighting for its spot for survival.

Like, I hope Yozakura survives because its loved here by many but ya'll gotta realize that It's definitely not on the same level of importance as Mashle and UU to the magazine. Just because WSJ has finally given it a couple of CPs, doesn't mean its on the same level. They clearly aren't cancelling it right now, so its the least they can do to try and push it.

There was a reason why I was cautious about Mashle's fate in the magazine despite the fact that its first volume sold the best amongst newbies this year.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

When even was the last WSJ series to last past ch 100 and not get an anime? Other than Act-age which no doubt would be getting one if not for the scandal.

Hinomaru Zumou got one as a 30k club member, even Isobe got a series of special shorts.
Think the question should be when was the last time a 30k seller got an anime.
Zumou is the only one in recent times that ever achieved that. Psyren sold 80-100k a volume and didn't get an anime despite lasting almost 160 chapters.

Isobee getting special shorts is a different thing tho. I doubt Yozakura fans mean shorts when they imply anime.

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Why you're even discussing something you don't know about it as if you know? are you editor on WSJ? do you have access of informations about the behind the scenes on SJ meetings and stuff? how you know for a fact what kind of sales would or not grant a anime adaptation on WSJ or any other magazine, specially in the current industry and SJ state? you're not speaking facts or being realistic as you think you are, you're just forcing a personal opinion as if is a fact/realistic.
Sorry, maybe I should instead throw out all previous standards and argue based on feelings because I feel like it. Let's try it this way: Agravity is selling more than "The vampire dies in no time" on champion, anime soon!

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States

But this literally makes no sense whatsoever...you think a volume 1 selling 40k and a volume selling 14k are on the same tier because "it's just a 30k difference", and that a series selling 56k at volume 3 with over 10k VoV growths is the same as a series selling 22k at volume 4 with 2-3k growths VoV.

It's not the same at all, there is a big gap between these performances, the fact that we're even having to argue about this alone is making me confused.
Sorry, I just don’t see this numbers as a big gap at all.

Their clearly isn’t THAT huge of a distance in their popularity. I don’t deny that’s Mashle and UxU are more popular. But your acting like the popularity is through the roof in comparison.

They’re all in the same boat as recently established and just solid atm

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Sorry, maybe I should instead throw out all previous standards and argue based on feelings because I feel like it. Let's try it this way: Agravity is selling more than "The vampire dies in no time" on champion, anime soon!
Well i guess your tentative of being sarcastic is a "no, i don't know anything" ;)

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Psyren's from a different time where studios were looking for new long runners from Jump's battle shounen and it was gradually dying after ch 100 (where it'd normally be gathering interest as a long runner), but those are rare now in the current anime industry.

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well i guess your tentative of being sarcastic is a "no, i don't know anything" ;)
I used the same exact argument as you did to try and point out a flaw in your reasoning. Clearly didn't work seeing your response but the attempt was made.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I used the same exact argument as you did to try and point out a flaw in your reasoning. Clearly didn't work but the attempt was made.
No, you didn't, i asked if you have any source or access to the claims you do about what kind of sales grant or not a anime adaptation under WSJ or any magazine and you just tried to be a smartass doing a direct sales comparison because you clearly don't have access, you don't have to act like a know it all about the industry everytime, i have been following this probably for a longer time than you and i know very well the differences between X and Y magazine, my example with BSM series was just to say that hard sales number don't really dictate what gets or not a anime adaptation, simple.

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
No, you didn't, i asked if you have any source or access to the claims you do about what kind of sales grant or not a anime adaptation under WSJ or any magazine and you just tried to be a smartass doing a direct sales comparison because you clearly don't have access, you don't have to act like a know it all about the industry everytime, i have been following this probably for a longer time than you and i know very well the differences between X and Y magazine, my example with BSM series was just to say that hard sales number don't really dictate what gets or not a anime adaptation, simple.
But the point you completely missed is that I'm standing on 100 lives is a good performer for Bessatsu and that's why Bessatsu gives it an adaptation, every magazine has its own standard for what is considered a hit and what isn't, what is worth an anime and what isn't, so yes sales matter, of course they matter, you think the editorial is playing freaking darts to decide what to push and what gets an adaptation?

And the fact that neither of us knows what is happening inside the editorial is exactly why it's best to stick to what makes the most sense based on past and current trends, rather than making predictions based on nothing, otherwise I could make the very same example you did for 100 lives and yoza for agravity and the vampire dies in no time, with the exact same train of thought, and act like it makes sense. Is it impossible for Yozakura to get an anime? No. Is it likely based on mag trends? Also no. What else am I supposed to tell you here?

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
Lol. These arguments for Yozakura are kinda becoming like S8 arguments where people argued 30k sales was acceptable for Kishimoto's return despite the fact that WSJ's standard for returning big veterans is far higher.
People really need to stop twisting things we know about WSJ however they want to fit their narrative.

Aside from Zumou, there is no evidence of a series that sold 30k that got an anime. Just because Zumou did it, does not mean that's the new standard for WSJ.

Chill, no one's shitting on Yozakura itself. We can all hope it starts catching on and becoming a bigger success. For the sake of its fans, Imma hope it grows and becomes a big thing eventually.
But ya'll gotta stop being so defensive and trying to imply it's bigger or more important (or safer) than it actually is.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
But the point you completely missed is that I'm standing on 100 lives is a good performer for Bessatsu and that's why Bessatsu gives it an adaptation, every magazine has its own standard for what is considered a hit and what isn't, what is worth an anime and what isn't, so yes sales matter, of course they matter, you think the editorial is playing freaking darts to decide what to push and what gets an adaptation?

And the fact that neither of us knows what is happening inside the editorial is exactly why it's best to stick to what makes the most sense based on past and current trends, rather than making predictions based on nothing, otherwise I could make the very same example you did for 100 lives and yoza for agravity and the vampire dies in no time, with the exact same train of thought, and act like it makes sense. Is it impossible for Yozakura to get an anime? No. Is it likely based on mag trends? Also no. What else am I supposed to tell you here?
Bro, i know literally everything you're saying, i'm not missing any point, my original comment was basically saying "hard sales numbers" don't really dictate what gets or not a anime adaptation, be in WSJ or any other magazine, i don't think i need to go over any little detail and make this and that comparison to make the point clear like you're doing in this comment.

If i don't know what is going behind the editorial, meetings and etc, i will just not try to state facts based in comparisons without any context behind, "ohh because that series from 10 years ago didn't get a anime selling this, so this current one will not get for sure because yes" and etc, also please stop twisting my comments and adding interpretations in order to make it sound like i saying what i'm clearly not saying.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Bolded: I’ll be honest with you, half of the time it actually does feel that way. But I think it’s more like if a studio is interested in adapting it, then sure, Shueisha/Jump will of course greenlight it for multiple reasons, such as giving the series a late, hopeful push because not every series get that kind of interest and opportunity. Another may be at least to help give the author some closure by giving them the achievement of an adaptation they’ve always dreamed of.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol. These arguments for Yozakura are kinda becoming like S8 arguments where people argued 30k sales was acceptable for Kishimoto's return despite the fact that WSJ's standard for returning big veterans is far higher.
People really need to stop twisting things we know about WSJ however they want to fit their narrative.

Aside from Zumou, there is no evidence of a series that sold 30k that got an anime. Just because Zumou did it, does not mean that's the new standard for WSJ.

Chill, no one's shitting on Yozakura itself. We can all hope it starts catching on and becoming a bigger success. For the sake of its fans, Imma hope it grows and becomes a big thing eventually.
But ya'll gotta stop being so defensive and trying to imply it's bigger or more important (or safer) than it actually is.
I never argued that it was getting an anime or getting an anime first.

Just that, I highly doubt a small gap in sales dictates the order in which something gets adapted.

Like I said, I highly don’t higher up look at the numbers and think “hmmm this series did 28K, and this other series did 48K. So let’s make and anime for the latter”. Neither are monsterous numbers.

Whether or not any of these series get anime or not, they probably won’t be getting announcements until at least a year regardless.

But so far, Mashle and UxU aren’t doing numbers like, say Pre anime MHA that would suggest we’d get an anime announcement 5/6 volumes in. Hence, they’re more popular, but not THAT much more popular. They’re sales aren’t in another stratosphere or anything.

My argument isn’t so much that Yozakura is really popular, but more so that Mashle and UxU aren’t in the same tier of early volume hype as say The Promised Neverland and MHA.

For all I know Yozakura could stay stagnant and be axed in 6 months. But assuming, say a year from now, if all 3 meet whatever criteria is needed to move forward with an anime; unless one series is selling astronomically more than the others. Like there’s a 100K different in sales or something, I don’t see why sales would determine the order. Especially when we know some series are scouted by studios themselves based on their personally interest(whether that interest be in the sales, the subject matter, or them just being a fan of the manga)

Ebrietas-

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Ober

assuming any of them are getting anime at all, Yozakura is longer and has more material.

Also, the sales gap between all of them aren’t SO huge that it really matters which is selling slightly more than the others. All of them are pretty much in the same tier.
Yozakura is definitely a level below the rest in terms of growth rate.
I never argued that it was getting an anime or getting an anime first.

Just that, I highly doubt a small gap in sales dictates the order in which something gets adapted.

Like I said, I highly don’t higher up look at the numbers and think “hmmm this series did 28K, and this other series did 48K. So let’s make and anime for the latter”. Neither are monsterous numbers.

Whether or not any of these series get anime or not, they probably won’t be getting announcements until at least a year regardless.

But so far, Mashle and UxU aren’t doing numbers like, say Pre anime MHA that would suggest we’d get an anime announcement 5/6 volumes in. Hence, they’re more popular, but not THAT much more popular. They’re sales aren’t in another stratosphere or anything.

My argument isn’t so much that Yozakura is really popular, but more so that Mashle and UxU aren’t in the same tier of early volume hype as say The Promised Neverland and MHA.

For all I know Yozakura could stay stagnant and be axed in 6 months. But assuming, say a year from now, if all 3 meet whatever criteria is needed to move forward with an anime; unless one series is selling astronomically more than the others. Like there’s a 100K different in sales or something, I don’t see why sales would determine the order. Especially when we know some series are scouted by studios themselves based on their personally interest(whether that interest be in the sales, the subject matter, or them just being a fan of the manga)
You keep ignoring the fact that the growth rate of Yozakura is nowhere near Mashle and Undead. These two keep raising their sales with every volume released and by the time they reach Yozakura length they will probably be closer to 100k while Yozakura at vol 5 wont even reach 40k and grows very slowly. You can look at their trajectories and predict that UxU and Mashle will be much bigger than Yozakura in the future which Shueisha would do too when planning future anime adaptations.

Status
Not open for further replies.