Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween

Last edited:

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Me and Roboco author said his plan is to slowly transition into battle shounen from back in chapter 1.
I still hope that that comment was just the author making a joke. I can't imagine Roboco being enjoyable as a battle series. All of the "battles" so far have just been that crab dude getting buried, so I fear any true "battle" scenes would just end up looking like the displays similar to what has happened in Moriking.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Guys, this argument that Reborn was forced to switch to a battle series because of declining popularity is outright false, with evidence to back it up.

Let’s move past that debate, please.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
How about some predictions on the next batch of new series, the first of 2021?

My guess is a batch of 4 in February, taking the spots of Moriking or WNL (whichever isn't accounted for this batch), Chainsawman, and two from Blood Oath, High School Family, Phantom Seer, and Agravity Boys.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
How about some predictions on the next batch of new series, the first of 2021?

My guess is a batch of 4 in February, taking the spots of Moriking or WNL (whichever isn't accounted for this batch), Chainsawman, and two from Blood Oath, High School Family, Phantom Seer, and Agravity Boys.
My guess is a batch of 3:

1 battle shonen and 2 sports

Smilzyy

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Austria
My guess is WNL, Chainsaw Man, Moriking and Our Blood Oath will end.

We get a batch of three new series one battle shonen, one sport and maybe Ao No Hako. When not we'll get a second battle shonen series.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'll be a bit more ambitious. WNL, Chainsaw Man, Agravity Boys, Moriking and Our Blood Oath all end. We'll get a big 5-6 series batch, half sports series half
gag

c3pman

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Spain
My guess is a new batch with 4 new series on January as soon as WNL and CSM end... but after that we'll get a new batch sooner than expected with 2-3 series

Minsel

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
dont we have an spot filled, like we have 21 series rn

Ctkk

Reaction score
Country
Highgarden
Yeah since two series have started and none have ended, the GFC spot got filled and now there's an extra one.

BX-02BLODIA

Reaction score
Country
United States

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Yeah there's currently an extra series compared to their usual, something still needs to end this batch. Currently looking like either Moriking will end in the next couple issues (or get shifted elsewhere for its finale), or Sakamoto Days is taking WNL's spot early and we'll just have an extra series for a few issues.

I suppose there's almost always something on break each issue these days, so having 21 ongoing series doesn't mean we'll actually have 21 series in the magazine each week.

OniluapL

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I really want a big batch (and think it would make sense) relatively soon. We have an extra slot, as pointed out, so something will have to end either way. But still, something like Mori-We Never Learn-CSM-Agravity-maybeBloodOath ending and 4 new series starting (I wanted even more than 4, but it's hard to imagine anything else getting axed for now).

Shinuki no Reborn

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Something interesting to remember is that there's no rule about Shonen Jump not keeping 21 series for a while, from issue #51 of 2011 to #20 of 2012 they had pratically every issue with 21 series and even 1 or 2 with 22 series, this not counting one shots, mainly because ST&RS that everybody thought at the time would just be canceled ended up with 39 chapters and HxH also had a comeback.

Not saying that is going to happen (much probably will return to 20), but is just a matter of editors wanting or not to keep 21 series, and personally i think SJ has so much series with potential right now but don't have at least Yozakura level of sales (20k) that i think would be good to have 21 series running instead of just keeping at 19/20 and potentially being forced to cut something that could become better with time.

ItsSamu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Count me in the group who hopes for a big serialisation round (4+ series) after the double issues and One Piece's 1,000th chapter celebration. Blue Box is sure to get a serialisation eventually, though maybe not this soon in the year. My prediction however is there will be a couple of sports manga as a build up to the Summer Olympics.

In terms of the current state of the magazine and what's in danger, I'd say:

Secured:
1. One Piece - One Piece​
2. My Hero Academia - Pillar of the magazine​
3. Jujutsu Kaisen - Soon to be/already is a pillar of the magazine​
4. Dr. Stone - Pretty consistent with great TOC rankings.​
5. Black Clover - Already peaked but still stable.​
6. Mashle - Early success story.​
7. Undead Unluck - Early success story.​
8. Ayakashi Triangle - Solid sales for a returning/veteran mangaka; fills the ecchi slot in the magazine.​

Safe, partially due to the lack of veterans in the magazine:
9. Mission: Yozakura Family - Sales slightly improving, TOC rankings definitely improved.​
10: Me & Roboco - Fine sales for V1, very good/great TOC rankings.​
11. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - Fine sales for V1, showing possible improvement in the TOC.​
12. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - Fine sales for V1 though underwhelming for a returning/semi-veteran mangaka.​

Uncertain, time will tell:
13. Phantom Seer - The rankings have not been good, volume 1 sales will help give a clearer idea.​
14. High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku - Tricky to predict whether it's finding its place near the end of the magazine or just not popular.​

Likely, needs to improve:
15. Agravity Boys - It can only dodge the bullet so many times, and now the story seems to be slowly approaching endgame stages.​
16. Our Blood Oath - Has done straight to the bottom and will likely stay there unless it somehow gains buzz (which I doubt).​

Definitely ending
17. Moriking - Everything points to it concluding within a matter of weeks.​
18. Chainsaw Man - In its final climax; I reckon within single digits, could end just after We Never Learn.​
19. We Never Learn - Likely 3 chapters left, ending #2 unless it has an epilogue chapter.​

Too soon:
20. Build King - Too early and editorial push incoming...
21. Sakamoto Days - Too early​

Last edited:

susanoo13

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Well, as the RomCom replacement for WNL we already got AT at the moment.
Instead of what manga genres I think will be I believe that the return of 4 veterans is well timed now.
1. Hiroshi Shiibashi - especially now that action/horror/demons genre is in such a high
2. Toshiaki Iwashiro for the same reason
3. Tadatoshi fujimaki / Kawada - for doing an action series.
4. Tosh with another author for a sports series, because of olympics

Shinuki no Reborn

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Instead of what manga genres I think will be I believe that the return of 4 veterans is well timed now.
1. Hiroshi Shiibashi - especially now that action/horror/demons genre is in such a high
Saeki and Tsukuda just published a really good exorcist one shot this year and you believe he will return for a sport series with other writer? doesn't seem likely lol

Shiibashi is probably done with Shonen Jump, his last one shot was published on Plus.

Last edited:

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Really hoping for a big serialization round a la the one in the beginning of 2017. I think the magazine could definitely use the shakeup. It would be fitting - the 2017 batch came right after 2016 cleaned houseThey should be more aggressive with their series IMO considering they don’t have very much to fall back on at the moment.

You got One Piece, My Hero Academia, Jujutsu Kaisen, Dr. Stone, and Black Clover. That’s it. Mashle and Undead Unluck need more timeto develop into genuine hits, and Ayakashi needs to sustain or build upon its strong start. And I guess Yozakura will survive purely by selling marginally better than half the magazine. That’s 9 of 21. Some are too early to tell, but most don’t sell very well.

Plus a new serialization round can help diversify the magazine a bit. We still don’t have a Jump spokon, a situation that hasn’t been seen in decades.

Ayakashi Triangle is the replacement for Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs. It started not too long after that. What will replace We Never Learn will very likely be Ao no Hako whenever that’s serialized.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’d like to also see Jump+ get a lot more hits next year so it reaches a point where it’s sorta rivaling WSJ with quantity of good series and sales

Status
Not open for further replies.