Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1596 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Really hoping for a big serialization round a la the one in the beginning of 2017. I think the magazine could definitely use the shakeup. It would be fitting - the 2017 batch came right after 2016 cleaned houseThey should be more aggressive with their series IMO considering they don’t have very much to fall back on at the moment.

You got One Piece, My Hero Academia, Jujutsu Kaisen, Dr. Stone, and Black Clover. That’s it. Mashle and Undead Unluck need more timeto develop into genuine hits, and Ayakashi needs to sustain or build upon its strong start. And I guess Yozakura will survive purely by selling marginally better than half the magazine. That’s 9 of 21. Some are too early to tell, but most don’t sell very well.

Plus a new serialization round can help diversify the magazine a bit. We still don’t have a Jump spokon, a situation that hasn’t been seen in decades.
I'm guessing Magu-chan, Dolphin, and Roboco's first volumes did decent enough to score them at least a 4-volume serialization run, so I'm guessing they'd be spared in a large new series round like that. Moriking seems like it's on death's door, Agravity Boys continues to be on the verge of cancellation ground, and I can see Our Blood Oath getting terminated quickly. Build King will get a year at absolute bare minimum regardless of reception (which seems pretty decent so far), it's obviously too early to tell for Sakamoto Days, and I think Phantom Seer is truly a coin-toss that could go either way.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don’t know if Jump is really the type of environment for this type of manga, but would really love to see a Bakuman-like series but based around Anime or JRPGs

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I’d like to also see Jump+ get a lot more hits next year so it reaches a point where it’s sorta rivaling WSJ with quantity of good series and sales
This.
Especially from vets given how great early reception has been for Ghost Reaper Girl and Ron Kamonohashi.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’d like to also see Jump+ get a lot more hits next year so it reaches a point where it’s sorta rivaling WSJ with quantity of good series and sales
I honestly think it’s going to happen, if not already happening right now. Jump+’s been building a pretty good lineup, IMO, with Spy x Family leading the charge.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
A little shocked Viz hasn’t put the new Akira Amano series on Jump+ yet, considering it’s from a high profile creator, and they picked Amano’s Last series which was also a Jump+ series

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I honestly think it’s going to happen, if not already happening right now. Jump+’s been building a pretty good lineup, IMO, with Spy x Family leading the charge.
The "issue" is that there's such an enormous gap between SxF and Jigo/WEH in terms of sales. I'd like to see a Jump+ title rival SxF in the future. I think Jigo has the best chance to shorten that gap whenever it gets an anime but yeah it has a promising lineup.

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The 3 main My Hero Academia accounts posted 3 separate tweets that form the phrase "He will meet the three 'musketeers'" with links that direct to image teasers, possibly the third movie as the number 3 is formed when all 3 of them are joined.

Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
A little shocked Viz hasn’t put the new Akira Amano series on Jump+ yet, considering it’s from a high profile creator, and they picked Amano’s Last series which was also a Jump+ series
You mean Manga Plus? the series has been there since the first chapter.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You mean Manga Plus? the series has been there since the first chapter.
He means Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump. They don't have the series despite it being on manga+.
It's always annoying having to have all my tabs on Sunday be Viz Jump and then just one be Manga+.
Both have trash readers, but I prefer Viz's.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
The 3 main My Hero Academia accounts posted 3 separate tweets that form the phrase "He will meet the three 'musketeers'" with links that direct to image teasers, possibly the third movie as the number 3 is formed when all 3 of them are joined.

You know what they say, “One For All, and All For One.” XD

It’s probably a third movie though, and that’s going to go over...not so well.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My guess for those MHA posters is that they’re for the 3rd MHA movie, and that the series may be reaching some sort of half way point time skip following its current arc(skip year 2, and skip to them being 3rd years).

With the movie taking place post timeskip, and using the updated timeskip designs. Then sometime early next year MHA’s first cover will have a color spread unveiling the full look for the new costumes for everyone.

Blink22

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’d love to see more veteran authors like Toshiaki Iwashiro that never really took off in WSJ get something good going in Plus. Former SQ mangaka are thriving there right now.

BX-02BLODIA

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’d love to see more veteran authors like Toshiaki Iwashiro that never really took off in WSJ get something good going in Plus. Former SQ mangaka are thriving there right now.
Hajime Kazu said she was working on a series for Jump+ back in 2018 but we haven't heard anyhing about it since.

susanoo13

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I want Iwashiro to succeed period, doesn't matter where. I know SxF's author is a former Jump SQ mangaka but are there more?

CuriousReborn

Reaction score
Country
Bahrain
My guess for those MHA posters is that they’re for the 3rd MHA movie, and that the series may be reaching some sort of half way point time skip following its current arc(skip year 2, and skip to them being 3rd years).

With the movie taking place post timeskip, and using the updated timeskip designs. Then sometime early next year MHA’s first cover will have a color spread unveiling the full look for the new costumes for everyone.
They can't skip the second year because of
Nighteye predicted AM death during that time.
It's most likely set during the internship arc before the current one.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
They can't skip the second year because of
Nighteye predicted AM death during that time.
It's most likely set during the internship arc before the current one.
Nighteye doesn’t give a specific time. Only a timeframe. But he said that he doesn’t know an exact date of when it’ll happen. Also, Deku already changed the future once in the series. Can see the series doing a thing where All Might lives past the time frame Nighteye said he’d die, and thinking he beat the prediction, only for it to happen a little bit later.

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation

There is literally no good reason for timeskip lol. People are just thirsty for it because they think its going to make manga more "mature" and magically make its faults go away. IT DOESNT. Look at Op. Look at Bleach ( even though it has timeskip only in name) Very arguably same goes for Naruto. Its not anime manga but this was one of main reasons that killed Young Justice if you ask me.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is literally no good reason for timeskip lol. People are just thirsty for it because they think its going to make manga more "mature" and magically make its faults go away. IT DOESNT. Look at Op. Look at Bleach ( even though it has timeskip only in name) Very arguably same goes for Naruto. Its not anime manga but this was one of main reasons that killed Young Justice if you ask me.
Timeskips are a good way hype up a series more.
Naruto Shippuden is literally the exact same series as Naruto, but marketing it like it’s a new series hypes ppl up.

And doing a timeskip is also a good way to bring back readers who haven’t been keeping up. Seeing the new designs and new, slightly older characters makes ppl feel obligated to get back into the series because they really want to see what the timeskip is all about.

But imo, every Jump series that’s had a timeskip, it made narrative sense to have a timeskip when it did(I haven’t completed Bleach though, so I have no clue what that ones all about)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.