Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 243 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Just see Neverland, it's been ending for over a year now and it's getting those climax wording everytime it gets a cp or a cover. So I think it won't end that soon, at least i can see it ending with 200 + 10 or 5 extra chapters (volume wise, it should be like that). Maybe it can get some chill arcs with more character interactions.

supercow297

Reaction score
Country
United States
Remember the serious humor (IIRC) chapter in Bakuman? I remember so many people commenting that Bleach was doing that. Although, I'm vaguely recalling the details. It might not even be serious humor, but something else.
Chainsawman is serious humor to the core.
---
Sorachi did nothing wrong.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Just see Neverland, it's been ending for over a year now and it's getting those climax wording everytime it gets a cp or a cover. So I think it won't end that soon, at least i can see it ending with 200 + 10 or 5 extra chapters (volume wise, it should be like that). Maybe it can get some chill arcs with more character interactions.
In-world there is one hour til the final battle ends and then it's epilogue time.

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Chainsawman is serious humor to the core.
---
Sorachi did nothing wrong.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

In-world there is one hour til the final battle ends and then it's epilogue time.
Yeah, this. And even though there is technically a way for it to extend past that hour I see it as unlikely.

Everything else would require the start of a new arc, but then again speaking about "climax" is pretty vague so they could stretch the term to mean whatever they want it to mean.

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I haven't read Kimetsu No Yaiba, but I was (Still am) one of the users in the "Jump won't let Kimetsu end so early" bandwagon.

But what exactly does Jump consider a "climax"? The last arc? Or the last stretch of the last arc?

Because there are plenty of series where last arcs ran for like 20 volumes.. Heck, for example, I remember back when I read Dai No Daiboken in like 2005 (And I had no idea it was a 38 volume series IIRC) I kept buying the volumes every month, I think the last arc started around volume 20ish and it ended up having 38 volumes! So yeah "Climax" is such a vague word and authors can extend said climax or final arcs, that a manga can be in its "climax" for like 2-3 years lol..

Talking about the word climax, didn't Jump use that very same word (I dunno if it was literally said in Japanese or it was translated or something) but didn't they use the same wording or something similar during the whole last arc of BLEACH (I think it lasted for like 20ish volumes or something?)

So yeah.. Climax is just too vague lol, even if Kimetsu is in its last arc it could just pull a Dai No Daiboken/Naruto and extend it to like 15 volumes lol
Both Naruto and Bleach were already prior final arc so when it came nobody felt it was stretched to no end. Kimetsu on the other hand wasnt stretched before so if now they do it this would feel really weird. Of course it can take some thing slowly or add some details but not for 20 volumes for God sake. If we are talking about manga that going to be stretched in a big way it is MHA. Plus... how about a thought that in Jump best interest for Kimetsu to end soon? If its going for longer it might completely dethrone OP. Or at least make it clear that it isnt absolute number one anymore.

Ebrietas-

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
I haven't read Kimetsu No Yaiba, but I was (Still am) one of the users in the "Jump won't let Kimetsu end so early" bandwagon.

But what exactly does Jump consider a "climax"? The last arc? Or the last stretch of the last arc?

Because there are plenty of series where last arcs ran for like 20 volumes.. Heck, for example, I remember back when I read Dai No Daiboken in like 2005 (And I had no idea it was a 38 volume series IIRC) I kept buying the volumes every month, I think the last arc started around volume 20ish and it ended up having 38 volumes! So yeah "Climax" is such a vague word and authors can extend said climax or final arcs, that a manga can be in its "climax" for like 2-3 years lol..

Talking about the word climax, didn't Jump use that very same word (I dunno if it was literally said in Japanese or it was translated or something) but didn't they use the same wording or something similar during the whole last arc of BLEACH (I think it lasted for like 20ish volumes or something?)

So yeah.. Climax is just too vague lol, even if Kimetsu is in its last arc it could just pull a Dai No Daiboken/Naruto and extend it to like 15 volumes lol
There is absolutely no way Kimetsu can even be extended for 5 volumes let alone 20 with where it is right now. Unless something totally absurd happens like aliens coming down from space which would totally destroy any hype readers built for this series over the past year.

Ctkk

Reaction score
Country
Highgarden
The twitter guy that Rain brought up actually clarified:

I don't really see it ending *very* soon because the final battle just started and KnY fights have a fairly slow pace. I'd be surprised if it's not the longest fight in the series. But I'd say within this year seems reasonable to wrap it up.

I guess they could always pull something like 'Turns out Muzan was but one of the 10 super-demons working for ¿the demon god? himself. Now Tanjiro and the gang must travel all over the world to slay the rest of them'. But that'd feel kinda cheap and it doesn't seem that's where things are going.

Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Jump is incredibly hyperbolic about a lot of their promotion (they claimed some arcs of One Piece would end months before they actually did), so it's best no treat it as some absolute proof. Just know that Kimetsu is absolutely confirmed to be ending at some point in the near future and is most definitely not being extended past Muzan for money.

animeexpert

Reaction score
Country
Japan
We've got a series plodding along right now in Samurai 8 that shows that having a grand scale for the sake of having a grand scale is pointless, series work best when conflicts are on a personal level and Kimetsu does that better of all the current WSJ battle shounen, every character feels like they deserve to be in the story and all have their own personal grudges and motivations that directly relate to the conflict. Nobody's involved simply as a satellite character.

Kimetsu might be mostly fight after fight after fight but none of them feel like they're just there for the sake of having another fight, they're all personal for the characters. The core plot may be simple but it's got a really strong progression from arc to arc and fight to fight in exchange, everything is really well tied together.

Compare it One Piece for example where most of the main cast are barely more than tag-along characters past their intro arc, they just kind of hanging around getting involved in stuff because Luffy does and they've got nothing better to do. And how many side fights and plots could just be cut out entirely? Most of them are just there for the sake of giving the side cast something to do or because Oda had a new funny idea that week.
Cuz we got past that primes in pre-timeskip They are pirates, their symbol is being free. They had their core development already "accomplished", their thing to do now is to get stronger for facing God-like pirates. Luffy is the leader of the crew so ofc they often listen what he has to do or say, meanwhile they still doing their own free-time what they normally do. Just like what happend in the beginning of wano.. hallo!!?.

I can agree where they often get sidelined and the real heart-warming adventures they did (for example skypia & thriller bark) but some still get their highlights 1 by 1 also since one piece is focused for worldbuilding, with many many characters,, you cant rinse and repeat the "straw hat pre-timeskip struggles" no cuz they are developed to the point they matured working as a team for luffy becoming the pirate king.

simply put they wanted to be free and leave their burden with no regret and that alone is powerful enough

I guess ofc having almost 1000 chapters can make you feel bit less disconnected with some of the strawhats left out (which is true), but oda shows that not only the strawhats are the one who struggles in this world and that everyone has their own motivation and relief to do what they want or has to do.

I just wanted to put it essay out cuz something like One piece cant be slandered so easily. we won't have an manga like this for an very very Veryyy long like this being the number 1 (lol leave kimetsu out a little, it's only just temporary) seller of the manga industry and surpassing even american comics.

Because when one piece ends, its gonna hit us all and is marking an new history.. no even an new world of Shonenjump

Rain Spectre

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Cuz we got past that primes in pre-timeskip They are pirates, their symbol is being free. They had their core development already "accomplished", their thing to do now is to get stronger for facing God-like pirates. Luffy is the leader of the crew so ofc they often listen what he has to do or say, meanwhile they still doing their own free-time what they normally do. Just like what happend in the beginning of wano.. hallo!!?.

I can agree where they often get sidelined and the real heart-warming adventures they did (for example skypia & thriller bark) but some still get their highlights 1 by 1 also since one piece is focused for worldbuilding, with many many characters,, you cant rinse and repeat the "straw hat pre-timeskip struggles" no cuz they are developed to the point they matured working as a team for luffy becoming the pirate king.

simply put they wanted to be free and leave their burden with no regret and that alone is powerful enough

I guess ofc having almost 1000 chapters can make you feel bit less disconnected with some of the strawhats left out (which is true), but oda shows that not only the strawhats are the one who struggles in this world and that everyone has their own motivation and relieve to do what they want or has to do.

I just wanted to put it essay out cuz something like One piece cant be slandered so easily. Cuz we won't have an manga like this for an very very Veryyy long like this being the number 1 (lol leave kimetsu out a little, it's only just temporary) seller of the manga industry and surpassing even american comics.
That just feels like a massive load of excuses TBH. You can try to frame some "grand point" to this, but having the main characters be basically background players is poor writing, plain and simple. It makes the series lose the emotional connections readers had with the story, and in its place are one-note characters and sideplots which add nothing. Wano is utterly draining to read, and I hold firm in my opinion that OP isn't even in the Top 5 best series in the magazine right now.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Twitter Japanese poll results for Issue 6/7

1. Jujutsu Kaisen
2. One Piece
3. Agravity Boys
4. Haikyuu
5. Chainsaw Man
6. Act-Age
7. Kimetsu no Yaiba
8. Mitama Security
9. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
10. Samurai 8
11. We Never Learn
12. Mission Yozakura Family
13. My Hero Academia
14. The Promised Neverland
15. Kitsune Biyori no Konjirou (Oneshot by Kuroko no Basket mangaka)
16. Zipman
17. Black Clover
18. My Brother Tama Is A Cat! (Oneshot)

animeexpert

Reaction score
Country
Japan
That just feels like a massive load of excuses TBH. You can try to frame some "grand point" to this, but having the main characters be basically background players is poor writing, plain and simple. It makes the series lose the emotional connections readers had with the story, and in its place are one-note characters and sideplots which add nothing. Wano is utterly draining to read, and I hold firm in my opinion that OP isn't even in the Top 5 best series in the magazine right now.
Since you downgrade OP so much,,,,, if you were oda. How would you develop the arc while still focusing the main key of wano without rinse and repeat?? Tell me. Cuz the strawhats doing what they are supposed to do as a team, still have their personality and giving comic relief to the readers. You cant focus only on 1 thing rain if you are writing an story that revolve closer and closer for luffy becoming the pirate king, I cant go more in depth cuz of the rules here.

Sanji - big cake

Zoro - wano

Nami - ???

Chopper - ???

Ussop - ???

Rain Spectre

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Don't label them "the guy Rain brought up".
I follow them too and they are pretty reliable.
I would trust them over yonko.
Exactly. Mogura is easily one of the most relieable informants I know, up there with Bomber and Raf.

Since you downgrade OP so much,,,,, if you were oda. How would you develop the arc while still focusing the main key of wano without rinse and repeat. Cuz the strawhats doing what they are supposed to do as a team. You cant focus only on 1 thing rain if you are writing an story that revolve closer and closer for luffy becoming the pirate king, I cant go more in depth cuz of the rules here.

Sanji - big cake

Zoro - wano

Nami - ???

Chopper - ???

Ussop - ???
....I'm not suggesting that in the slightest because the issues run much deeper than "X character lacks a focus arc", it's a general issue of characters doing nothing with storylines which add nothing to the larger story.

And Wano is not Zoro's arc.

animeexpert

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Exactly. Mogura is easily one of the most relieable informants I know, up there with Bomber and Raf.

....I'm not suggesting that in the slightest because the issues run much deeper than "X character lacks a focus arc", it's a general issue of characters doing nothing with storylines which add nothing to the larger story.

And Wano is not Zoro's arc.
I know, I'm just saying hes shines in this arc the most compared to the previous ones. Doflamingo arc doesnt really count. Like and dislike you want man since you dislike almost everything. I'm enjoying my entertainment and what oda has to offer more when wano ends with important key points

Last edited:

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Rest of the interview with Akutami. First part.

- After Naruto and Bleach ended, he wasn't sure what Jump would become, but MHA's appearance put his mind at ease and gave him a motivation boost.
- His editor initially said the project would be too dark for a shonen magazine, and suggested changing the setting to a school (and so JJK 0).
- Having to make so many changes to his original idea ended up helping him a lot with the plot and characters.
- His editor suggested using the concept for a serialization, and it gave him the opportunity to delve deeper into the shonen basics. He revised the story to make it easier for readers to get into, and got the green light.
- He cites Bleach's first chapter as an influence on Kaisen's first. Also cites Naruto and the rules that govern its world. And then mentions Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai when talking about the shonen formula of a young boy with a hidden power inside him.
- He's asked if he has the story planned out, and says he knows how it'll end and what will happen to the main characters, but not everything is set in stone, and that it's important to leave the story open.
- Goes back to the idea of reviving the shonen formula, mentions Attack on Titan and MHA again, and the latter assuring him that Jump could still "breathe new life into its gears". This also made him aware that he would have to adjust if he wanted to compete.
- The promotional crossover between him and Horikoshi was the idea of their editors, and he says he really admires and respects Horikoshi, that he's a representation of the modern writer. This admiration only increased after they met, and when Horikoshi was kind enough to send illustrations so quickly even with a busy schedule.
- He wanted to give Itadori the traits of a shonen protagonist, but in his own way. He finds the 'super nice' protagonists annoying, and it's something he dislikes about classic shonen. Since he put a part of himself in the character, he's the most like him, and so more of a normal person. He was difficult to create, but says you can really feel his character.
- He wants all his characters to have some kind of flaw since he believes that no one can be 100% right. As for the curses, he wanted them to be as disgusting as possible to make them scary.
- He likes villains with strong ideologies (e.g., Sensui from YYH and Stain from MHA). Their ideals and motivations are clear, and he says it's important to not make the reasoning for their actions too abstract.
- While he was working as an assistant for Yasuhiro Kano (Kiss x Death), he was offered the choice of traditional or digital, and went with digital since it's a lot easier to correct any mistakes.
- He has 4 assistants that come in Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays to help with backgrounds and effects.
- When he has free time, he likes going to the movies (he enjoyed Whiplash). He watches Netflix/Amazon while he works, and loves shows like House. He loves reading manga, but hasn't had much time to read, but says he tries to read new things to give him ideas.
- Currently, he's trying to find books that Togashi used as inspiration (cites Junji Ito).
- He loves reading one-shots, especially by Tomoko Yamashito and Takako Shimura. Rereading shorter stories is helpful since he's worried that working on a longer series will make him forget how to complete a story in one chapter. He also enjoys anthologies and collections of short stories every so often, but has been focusing on manga given the lack of free time.
- He's asked what sort of power he would have, and says he would probably die young if he were an exorcist/shaman. He would just want something that would help him survive.
- He's asked about his pen name, and says "akuta" is the kanji for "waste", and he went with "Gege" because he likes repetitive sounds.

Last edited:

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I'm enjoying my entertainment and what oda has to offer more when wano ends with important key points
This part of the post stuck out to me because it more or less encapsulates how I feel about current one piece. I feel like I'm constantly waiting for the next big plot movement which gives a big payoff, and the arc is just "in the way" of getting there.

i.e. I felt genuinely excited about Luffy's bounty going up at the end of the cake island arc, but the arc itself had me nowhere near as interested. Doflamingo's defeat felt very satisfying, but the arc itself felt stretched and exhausting.

To me OP peaked at MarineFord and everything after it has had me waiting for it to get back to that sort of impact, but it never got back there. Those arcs are still fine (although the fisherman one was a bit...ehh), but nowadays so many characters get thrown in within them that it really makes me question whether or not it couldn't have worked otherwise.

On this matter the reverie felt like a very refreshing time in One Piece, but it didn't last very long. I really do think OP would be fine moving away from the "troubles of the island" format and addressing its plot points more at this point, but that's just my opinion.

With this said though, I don't think OP is a bad manga or anything now, don't get me wrong.

Last edited:

Ctkk

Reaction score
Country
Highgarden
Don't label them "the guy Rain brought up".
I follow them too and they are pretty reliable.
I would trust them over yonko.
Sorry, I'm really not familiar with the workings of anitwitter. I didn't mean for that to sound diminishing towards them.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Undead Unluck oneshot was just scanlated

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jump chapters are out now. Time to see what Undead Unluck’s all about.

After my usual reads.

Status
Not open for further replies.