Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 244 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

and Japan is midnight as well.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
What a shock, judging a book by it's cover isn't a good idea.

It certainly had a pretty strong start, characters and entertaining and the powers are cool and were used quite creatively. The humour is certainly rather... dark however. Like I'm pretty sure I've never read another wsj manga that essentially ends with a comedy scene of the main guy chasing down the main girl to rape her. The way it played out actually made me laugh but seriously, wow.

Thores

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What a shock, judging a book by it's cover isn't a good idea.

It certainly had a pretty strong start, characters and entertaining and the powers are cool and were used quite creatively. The humour is certainly rather... dark however. Like I'm pretty sure I've never read another wsj manga that essentially ends with a comedy scene of the main guy chasing down the main girl to rape her. The way it played out actually made me laugh but seriously, wow.
How was judging the book by its cover a bad idea, in this specific case?

Your second paragraph alone proves that the full series contains the things that several of us have been worried about.

Cool premise and likeable characters aside, the finalized chapter still plays off groping and sexually harassing a girl that isn’t consenting for laughs. The cover was right.

4Eyes

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I can see Undead being well received on Japan, since the pacing was actually good and most people within the target public probably don't see a problem with the jokes. For me the 'jokes' were too much and I'll probably be passing on it.
As for the other new series (including the one with ~20 chapters), sadly I feel more and more uninterested by them. Mitama is the one that interest me the most but I feel like the author has some problems on doing impactful scenes and expressions and this is starting to hurt my enjoyment of the series.

RafGL

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I don't feel anything from any of the newbies. Not talking about Undead, but the rest. Agravity has had some chapter that made me laugh but keeps having 0 attraction to me, and Mitama since the beginning has been even more unattractive. Situations and reactions keep being the same, and meh, I just can't get to properly enjoy them. ZIPMAN has become one of the most basic series from them all even if it's the only one that's not comedy, and its action and epicness just feels kinda childish. As for Yozakura, am I the only one that gets Samon's vibes from it? As in structure. I feel like I should have never thought about it as an action series, since its main focus for 20 chapters already have been pure episodic comedy. Which is not bad, but eh.

I don't know, I don't see a single one of them sticking. Anyway, good luck for them with sales. If I had to choose two, I'd probably go with Yozakura going the episodic route instead of trying edgy action and Agravity Boys since I have laughed with it a bit more than with Mitama. Such a shame I can see most of them dying while they keep Samurai 8 x d.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wasn't too impressed with Undead's first chapter. With the oneshot having been translated a bit before the official release, the finalized version was a bit better than that, but not by much. It just feels like you can only take the concept so far before it just gets completely boring, similar to Seiji Tanaka. I still hate the MC's design too

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn’t hate Undead Unluck but it didn’t really grab me at all either, there were a few jokes here and there that got a chuckle out of me that that’s it.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So Undead opens with a lazy edgy suicide gag, the zombie guy is completely sentient and is open about his enjoyment of sexual assault. The series is built up around the MC constantly having to grope her to keep the plot moving and even laughs off her directly saying she doesn't want it but it doesn't matter because the plot necessitates it.
Not to mention the pacing was completely all over the place.

Also the LOLHESNAKEDSORANDUMBXDXDXD was lazy when Fairy Tail did it and it's still lazy now.

I really really hated it. I'm not going to talk about it anymore. Can't wait for it to be cancelled.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Undead Unluck is a mixed bag for me.

Liked: The artwork and the female character’s design (I preferred the long, flowing hair though she’s cute either way), the special abilities that our protagonists have (complete with detailed explanations), just how unlucky one can get (Reminded me of a certain lucky boy from Danganronpa), the female lead to an extent (Even if it is played for comedy, I can see why she wanted to end herself)

Disliked: Most of the comedy (I think it tried to go for dark humor but it fell flat for me so I’m just uncomfortable), the relationship between the two main leads as a result (male lead comes on kind of too strong to her), the male lead to an extent (though this is mainly due to because of a lack of information about him, which I’m sure we’ll get)

Last edited:

Chuck_Atlas

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Undead Unluck sure got a decent start, I actually came to sympathize with the FMC with her backstory and her outlook on her own life, and lol at her Naming the dead guy Andy, didnt saw that coming

Regarding the whole sexual harrasment thing everyone has been talking about, while it certainly was there, it wasnt all on your face, which at least didnt took away from the story, tho given it will become a major source of comedy, I can see it getting repetitive to the point isnt funny anymore, hell I’ll Say the funniest bits were when she was bullied by him like swinging her on top of the building

Guess it all depends how the author executes his ideas and see what he’s got

Last edited by a moderator:

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Been toying with rereading Bakuman again so here's a question; Out of the fictional series and oneshots in Bakuman, what are some you think would fit in well and be successful with the current climate of Jump? What are one or two that would not be?

From my memory I think Road Racer Giri, Zombie Gun, Hideout Door, and True Human could do really well right now.
PCP seems like it'd get cancelled quickly right now.
Road Racer Giri & Crows
PCP recived a light novel (that sold pretty well iirc) so there's a chance it might have survived
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Jigokuraku received a spinoff gag manga

well, that is unexpected

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
About UxU, I actually liked the idea of the whole Unluck thing and the Undead part was not bad too, it doesn't give answers right away so it makes room for curiosity. It also didn't have a slow start, it went right into the plot in a way. However, I do have some issues with the humor being weak, the groping part is still there and there's so much the author can do before the story gets very repetitive. Also, that ending? No. Yozakura had actually a pretty fun chapter this week but that's mostly because of Sui and his interactions with Taiyou so I hope he is kept in the story for a while longer (well that's if the series doesn't get axed in the near future). Zipman jumped right into another fight and I don't know if that's good or bad yet, but I'm still curious to see what lies ahead. Mitama introducing new stuff to the story like that was unexpected but I appreciate it, still my favourite out of the newbies. I do wish the author tried new expressions on the characters and making things grander, though. Agravity is just boring, nothing much to say.

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
new serialization round on Jump Plus

1- Jigokuraku spinoff
2- Last Hundred Days till She Dies by Migihara (a web manga from Margert magazine mee app) there are chapters out & you can find translation for this on Mangadex
3- Ohisama Birdie by Daisuke Yui (Yumizuka Iroha wa Tejun ga Daiji!)
4- Teihen Yuchuba ga Uchuu Sensou o Totte Mita by Tsunezou Watanabe (Bye bye Jinrui) and Banai (Cicada) this is the manga that got leaked with the volumes release dates last September

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Think I actually prefer the oneshot over the serialization for UxU, so far. Also, the art feels worse - it's somewhat more cartoonish, but that didn't really appeal to me as much as the oneshot.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I expected UxU to be way worse so I ended up liking it quite a bit. What I am more curious about is how the supporting cast of those two will look like, probably more UMAs but also likely that there will be some normal humans in there as well. The goal of an immortal to finally die is not a bad way to keep a story going plus the first chapter already showed ways of how to deal with his immortality by sealing him and it will probably not be the last way of how to fight him. We got the question why the girl got the Unluck ability at 8, who the Undead really was and how he became the way he is now, what other UMAs are out there and ofc if there is not only a way for "Andy" to die but also for the girl to get rid of her Unluck and live a normal life like she always wanted to. Could have done without the boob groping or the "Guess we gotta bang" comment but compared to the one-shot where he was all over her body, this was a bit tamer. But I guess that is his personality the mangaka goes for - a foul-mouthed not caring for tact or common sense Zombie, pardon, Undead.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
UxU feels like the Young Jump series Uratarou.
I actually like the female MC and has an interesting premise. Bout it’s all brought down because of the terrible male MC

Status
Not open for further replies.