Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 415 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States

Just reminding that the poll for issue #11 will be open until tomorrow, this week's poll has so far quite less votes than the last ones, so if you guys didn't voted yet or forgot to do, vote HERE
Gonna bump this.

Come on guys, we need more voters. Not sure why it's declined so much.

Pudazuka

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, my vote would be excluded anyway, since I haven't posted 30 comments yet.^^

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, my vote would be excluded anyway, since I haven't posted 30 comments yet.^^
Well, it's not just the excluded voters. It's the regulars as well. We used to get like 80-90 voters (including excluded). Now we're getting 60~ or so.

That's a pretty big drop off.

Pudazuka

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, it's not just the excluded voters. It's the regulars as well. We used to get like 80-90 voters (including excluded). Now we're getting 60~ or so.

That DOES seem strange. I wonder if there is a reason for this or if it's just pure coincidence. Like, several users being busy in RL all at once or something.

Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Gonna bump this.

Come on guys, we need more voters. Not sure why it's declined so much.
I stopped voting because I found it kinda pointless when we started to discuss why we think series ranked certain ways we were told to go to the series topics when if I want to specifically compare say last week's Jujutsu and Chainsaw and why I think one ranked better or something that wouldn't really be possible without being off topic in one of those threads anyway.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Found some pretty nice Mitama cosplay on Twitter.

Although the first volume sales were by no means stellar, they also didn't seem hopeless for a gag series. In addition, I think this may be one of those cases where Mitama is getting a lot of votes in their weekly surveys and the editorial department is banking on the next volume selling better. It does seem like there are an increasingly vocal number of fans out there, and I have seen Tweets from several Japanese bookstores indicating that they have more volumes of Mitama again. I'm choosing to remain optimistic and believe we won't have another David-kun situation on our hands.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
I stopped voting because I found it kinda pointless when we started to discuss why we think series ranked certain ways we were told to go to the series topics when if I want to specifically compare say last week's Jujutsu and Chainsaw and why I think one ranked better or something that wouldn't really be possible without being off topic in one of those threads anyway.
You can be vague in your explanations, but yeah, plot discussions would violate the updated topicality rule. I don't see why that would stop you from voting, though.

But, fair enough.

Rouk'

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France

I think two things might explain it:
1-Two of the biggest series were on break last week (One Piece and Haikyu), that might have had an impact
2-There were no new manga. Maybe some people were more inclined to vote the previous weeks because they wanted to show their support to the newbies?

Rain Spectre

Reaction score
Country
Australia

I stopped because the extension to five series to vote for ruined the fun for me since it took away the idea that this was like the reader surveys. Petty, I know.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
I stopped because the extension to five series to vote for ruined the fun for me since it took away the idea that this was like the reader surveys. Petty, I know.
For me though if it was limited to just 3, my vote would be the same pretty much every single week: some combination of Act-Age, We Never Learn, and Mitama. My fourth and fifth series at least revolve between a handful of different series. I do see your point about the difference between the 3 actually being used versus us using 5, but given that the sample-size actual WSJ has to pull from versus the minuscule-by-comparison sample size MangaHelpers pulls from, I think upping the allowable votes to 5 series at least helps keep the results more interesting to see.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
We all saw what happened when we had it at three votes. Too many series were constantly tying. I get that it breaks tradition, but ties aren't fun, you know?

Plus, there's no rule stating that you HAVE to use all five votes.

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You can be vague in your explanations, but yeah, plot discussions would violate the updated topicality rule. I don't see why that would stop you from voting, though.

But, fair enough.
I just found it pointless when I couldn't discuss why I voted the way I did or why I think others would have without jumping between 3-5 topics

OniluapL

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
For me though if it was limited to just 3, my vote would be the same pretty much every single week: some combination of Act-Age, We Never Learn, and Mitama. My fourth and fifth series at least revolve between a handful of different series. I do see your point about the difference between the 3 actually being used versus us using 5, but given that the sample-size actual WSJ has to pull from versus the minuscule-by-comparison sample size MangaHelpers pulls from, I think upping the allowable votes to 5 series at least helps keep the results more interesting to see.
I'm still voting, but, while I do get your point, it's sort of the opposite for me. Like, it's possible the series I like the most (One Piece, for instance) won't be in the top3 for me some weeks, but if I have to pick 5... I don't like that many series very much, so they will basically always get my vote, which bothers me a little. It also makes me vote for chapters I don't like _a lot_ (I know I don't need to vote for five, but eh, it feels weird)

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just found it pointless when I couldn't discuss why I voted the way I did or why I think others would have without jumping between 3-5 topics
You are allowed to discuss why, you just can't discuss plot details. Plus, that only applies to the older series. You're more than welcome to discuss plot details of the series that have less than three volumes.

FireFantasyVI

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Even if my vote is discounted, I still vote because it lets me think about the entire magazine at once and reflect on what each series is doing each week. I have noticed while certain series usually get a vote (One Piece, Haikyuu, Mitama), almost every series has gotten a vote from me at some point or another, so I never really minded it being 5 votes.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I vote in it but yeah, 5 is too much, and doesn't match wsj which was part of the fun of the idea for me. When there's 3 series there's usually a couple obvious top chapters of the week, then the 3rd is a harder choice I need to think about. But with 5 options I just end up shoving the usual favourites in each week instead of having to consider which had the best chapter. The fun of narrowing down the best and comparing chapters isn't really there any more.

The lack of being able to actually talk about why some series did better is probably part of it too, what's the point of a poll if you can't really talk about the poll?

Honestly maybe we need a general current spoilers for all wsj manga thread if we want to compare chapters properly (not just for this poll it'd be useful in general), one linked in the stickied post with the poll perhaps to make it convenient to get to.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly maybe we need a general current spoilers for all wsj manga thread if we want to compare chapters properly (not just for this poll it'd be useful in general), one linked in the stickied post with the poll perhaps to make it convenient to get to.
The problem with this idea is that it's counterintuitive to having users actually visit the other parts of the site. You'd all just swarm to that topic, instead of bothering to go to the dedicated sections.

It's important that you guys visit the other sections, because each one has dedicated staff members.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I only voted once (the first poll) and my votes would be only KnY, bc and bnha since they are the only ones I read. So for me, it's pointless to vote the same three every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.