Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1079 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
So in August what Jump volume will be out ?

dynassie

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
in my opinion bottom five could be likely for TPGW, if not just barely missing the bottom five. i was wrong about MK and BC though so such could happen for TPGW.

AbrahamOmosun

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Is there a weekly chart for light novel sales?

TheEnhancedExe

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think there's a good chance that they're trying to push the new series to increase the chances of one of them becoming a hit. So my guess is that they will rank TPGW at least around where Moriking and Bone Collection first ranked.

If that's the case and they try to push the new series, there's even a small chance that it ranks even higher than Moriking in case it was really popular and ends up in 2nd or even 1st place. It would be the first series since Hinomaruzumou to get a rank this high. But I could see Nakano push it that much in case he thinks it could potentially become a big hit, because Jump definitely needs a new big hit.

The situation now is pretty similar to 1997 where Seikimatsu Leader den Takeshi and One Piece got first place in reader polls on their first chapters and both got 2nd place in ToC. Back then, Jump desperately needed new hits as well. I also think the lower amount of established series right now increases the chances of new series getting high votes in the reader polls.

iamnightwing

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States

OH GOD.
Is the Yaiba dynasty coming to an end?
Manga sold less than a million copies this week.
Will Oricon finally be free?

(Probably not. We still got new volumes and reprints and the big damn movie.)

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

OH GOD.

Considering it's only 25k lower than last week and the reprints only hit around saturday (with the backlog immediately rising on shoseki), I'm going to say no, not yet.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What matters in the end is the percental decline and not the actual numbers. A decline of nearly 100k sales matters far less for a series that sells 600-700k than for a series like BC that only sold 250k at its peak. In BCs case, it lost nearly 40% of its sales in the first month compared to its peak. For a series that sells 700k, it would only be 14.3%, for a series selling 600k it would be 16.7%, both being far below 40%. Not forgetting to mention that BC has a long running anime, while most other Jump manga have seasonal anime, so their sales usually get at least a small boost again once they get another season.

Also, I wouldn't really say that whether there's backlash or no backlash from western fans really matters. There are manga and anime that are more popular in the west and there's some series more popular in Japan. I think you can't deny that BC is obviously a lot bigger in the west. Plus, as someone who has been following BC since chapter 1, I've observed that BC's fan base has evolved into one of the least critical fan bases of any anime or manga in the west. As in, the fan base is less willing to criticize the series than most other fan bases of other anime or manga. To me, it looks like the majority of the western BC fan base is willing to accept nearly any direction the series takes without much criticism or backlash.

So, I'd say whether there's backlash from the Japanese fan base is a lot more important, because the sales in Japan depend on the Japanese fan base and not the western fan base. This is just my opinion and observation though, you're free to disagree with me.
Not really super relevant, but this reminds me of an argument I had with an old friend around 8 or 9 years ago that at the time gave me the impression that most Westerners don't have a fucking clue about manga production and completely project their understanding of western media onto it.
There was a group of four of us and we were discussing various series. I was the only one of that four who read scanlated manga, one other would read official English volumes, the other two were anime only.
Naruto got rather quickly brought up, and I mentioned how I felt the series had suffered a huge decline (and also wasn't even that great in the first place). None of the others seemed to agree which is fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions and I was just sharing my own. However one of the anime only watchers started arguing to me with such arrogant confidence that the only reason for the decline was due to all the original writers having already left by that point.
Couldn't help but assume it was a joke at first but he was serious.
Not accepting my explanation that the manga industry didn't really work that way, and even if we're to accept that editors and assistants can influence the course of a manga (which wasn't something he was aware of to take into account given he was talking out of his ass) there would never be a period where "all of the original writers left".
He couldn't fathom the idea that one person could draw and write a series for as long as a shonen manga serialization. Acted like I was insane for trying to educate him on something so obvious and simple.
The issue is, the other two people in the discussion didn't really know much either so didn't really know who was correct .

Of course that was nearly a decade ago and while manga culture is more mainstream misinformation is still rampant and in ways far worse than it was back then given there weren't twitter personalities blatantly pulling shit out of their ass with gullible simpletons who aren't capable of knowing any better fawning over them as if they were academics.

Last edited:

AbrahamOmosun

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria

OH GOD.

Is Kimetsu on 52 or 53 million with this week ?(for 2020)

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
I'm done arguing over BC. Fans projecting their insecurity when you just state facts is just not fun. Other members have already provided enough arguments. So Imma move on after this.

Not really super relevant, but this reminds me of an argument I had with an old friend around 8 or 9 years ago that at the time gave me the impression that most Westerners don't have a fucking clue about manga production and completely project their understanding of western media onto it.
There was a group of four of us and we were discussing various series. I was the only one of that four who read scanlated manga, one other would read official English volumes, the other two were anime only.
Naruto got rather quickly brought up, and I mentioned how I felt the series had suffered a huge decline (and also wasn't even that great in the first place). None of the others seemed to agree which is fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions and I was just sharing my own. However one of the anime only watchers started arguing to me with such arrogant confidence that the only reason for the decline was due to all the original writers having already left by that point.
Not accepting my explanation that the manga industry didn't really work that way, and even if we're to accept that editors and assistants can influence the course of a manga (which wasn't something he was aware of to take into account given he was talking out of his ass) there would never be a period where "all of the original writers left".
He couldn't fathom the idea that one person could draw and write a series for as long as a shonen manga serialization. Acted like I was insane for trying to educate him on something so obvious and simple.
The issue is, the other two people in the discussion didn't really know much either so didn't really know who was correct .

Of course that was nearly a decade ago and while manga culture is more mainstream misinformation is still rampant and in ways far worse than it was back then given there weren't twitter personalities blatantly pulling shit out of their ass with gullible simpletons who aren't capable of knowing any better fawning over them as if they were academics.
Yeah, pretty sure this was the situation in most parts of the world.
Earlier on there were a lot of people who did not know what manga was and just assumed anime like Naruto, DBZ, Bleach were just anime. So many anime out there that got adapted worldwide that people don't realize come from manga. There are still some people today who don't realize that Yu Yu Hakusho, an anime people saw in the 90s as Ghost Files, was a manga created by the same creator of HxH. I know because I just had this conversation with someone a month ago.

I remember seeing Captain Tsubasa (dubbed as Captain Majid) anime as a kid in the 90s in Dubai and loving it. It's not until mid 2000s that I realized it was based on a japanese manga.

Or the other argument would be "Man, I wish I had this job of drawing manga in japan because you just need to make something like DBZ with power and action and you'll have a hit".
And I would politely mention how rigorous the work schedule would be and how unforgiving a magazine like WSJ is to newbies to just survive. After that, more times than not, they never downplayed it again.

Last edited:

TheEnhancedExe

Reaction score
Country
Germany

This kinda reminds me of the times when I used to be active in the German anime community and people were like "Hey, did you know Tokyo Ghoul is getting a third season" (long before the TG:re anime got announced). I immediately looked it up on MAL to see whether I missed an announcement and it turns out a third season had never been announced. So I go back to tell them that there hasn't been an announcement. Then the user linked me some obvious fake news page claiming it as the source and no matter how often I told them the website was fake, they still kept believing a third season was coming. This happened so often with so many different anime that I eventually just left the community because the majority of people is just too misinformed.

Though I had this once again on a convention last year, where someone claimed Code Geass was getting a third season apart from just the movie. When I told him that Code Geass was my favourite anime and that I'd have seen it on reddit if it got a third season, he still refused to be mistaken. So I told him I'd show him the MAL page as proof and suddenly I was in the wrong for trying to prove my point. As in your case, the people standing around us had no clue who was right and who was wrong, so they told us to stop, which was probably for the better. I actually got along well with that guy apart from this one situation, so it was just an exception.

Apart from these cases though, most youtubers in the German anime and manga community just post clickbait theories and videos mainly for One Piece, Naruto/Boruto and DB. Most of those theories aren't even theories, but just random ideas the youtuber came up with that make no sense based on the laws of the universe. For example I had to cringe when I saw a theory on "angel fruits" in One Piece and the guy seemed to take this seriously. And then I read the comments that were full of people telling him how awesome his "theory" was. God, I'm so glad I left that community and went over to the English speaking community. The English speaking community still has a few misinformed people, but overall it's far better here than in the German community.

Last edited:

Bodoro

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I really hope Time Paradox is in the top 5. I voted for middle ranking because that's what it will likely be I think. Well usually I'm wrong in these polls, so this time I hope I'm wrong too.

But please don't be in the bottom 5.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
If it were to be placed in Bottom 5 then that would be very bad for the future of TPG. I don't think any manga which placed Bottom 5 with its first chapter made it past 100 chapter. But with so many new series I doubt they will give it such a low placement for its first ranked chapter. Maybe only if they got really bad questionnaires back for it or something like that.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The jump already had steath symphony, Amalgam of distortion, illegal rare, Gross manager and several others that I dare to be wronged.

RafGL

Reaction score
Country
Spain
A new Spanish licensor seems to have partnered with MANGA Plus, Milky Way Ediciones, with its most likely title to be added in Spanish to be Summer Time Render. They also have licensed Golden Kamuy and Astra: Lost in Space here in Spain, but I highly doubt those titles would be selected with the first one being already published in English.

Also, a new section in the website called Publisher News is now up since June 21st it seems. Only Planeta, a Spanish licensor not directly involved in translations, is the one with actual content on their page, but I guess they'll be updated with time. These pages are also displayed in each licensor's series.

PANINI España: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/publisher_news/1016
VIZ Media: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/publisher_news/1019
IVREA España: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/publisher_news/1031
NORMA Editorial: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/publisher_news/1038
EDITORIAL PLANETA: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/publisher_news/1043
Milky Way Ediciones: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/publisher_news/1045

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Time Paradox has Death Note level hit written all over it.

Theres no way it wont be received well. It getting cancelled or prematurely ended would happen if planned that.

TheEnhancedExe

Reaction score
Country
Germany
If it were to be placed in Bottom 5 then that would be very bad for the future of TPG. I don't think any manga which placed Bottom 5 with its first chapter made it past 100 chapter. But with so many new series I doubt they will give it such a low placement for its first ranked chapter. Maybe only if they got really bad questionnaires back for it or something like that.
If I'm not mistaken, Yuuna ranked in the bottom bottom 5 for its first chapter and survived. The only series that ranked below it in that issue, were Kochikame, Toriko and Bleach.

Status
Not open for further replies.