Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1239 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

wothab

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Chainsawman is tracking very consistently alongside JJK, I think its safe to say its gonna get week 1 100k copies sold with this volume.

as for the enjoyment

1-Chainsawman: Really I think that the only bigger defender of chainsawman in this thread is buranchi, I really like the way fujimoto does storytelling and focus a lot on character interactions, im a sucker for realistic character behavior.
2- Jujutsu Kaisen: I really like the way gege writes his story and world builds, it reminds me a lot of Hunter x Hunter rather than Bleach, I am just waiting for the anime to drop to read more of the manga at this point.
3- Boku no Hero Academia: I have this love and hate relationship with this manga (mostly hate), but if its about "entertainment" yeah, I guess it gets me entertained, my opinion about it vary greatly though depending on how much Hori is willing to put his characters in real danger, needless to say, If this was an arc about yet another festival or training arc I would put it waaaaay down.
4- Act-Age: Like I said with chainsawman, I love character driven stories, and as such Matsuki really got me there, not really big into the acting setting, but I gotta applaud him for making it work in a shonen format.
5- Dr. Stone: I read it from time to time, it is a very well told story, there are some stuff that irks me a little but its nothing major, the science stuff is interesting, but I dont like the characters that much and the world could be better explored imo.
6- Undead x Unluck: Im not a big fan of comedy, and thankfully UxU (like Mashle) opted to be more inclined towards the serious side of the story, that being said I think UxU world building is fantastic, im just not a big fan of the cast (aside from the 2 main characters).
7- Mashle: Like I said for UxU, im thankful it has an actual plot in it, but I can't shake off the feeling that im reading OPM hogwarts edition.
8- Black Clover: Curiously enough I read a lot of black clover, but it reminds me of another manga that I hate with passion (Fairy Tail) on some places, It just didn't have something that makes me think "wow this is good", to me it is a passable read that won't really stick in my mind.

As for the rest, Its so outside of my taste that I can't read more than a chapter.
Honorable mention to Jigokuraku that is also a fantastic manga.

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Not to clog the page.

#1 My Hero Academia - One of the best arcs of the series, really solid chapters week after week with a build up that has lead to some of the best fights in the series. Horikoshi's been on point with his art as well.

#2 Chainsaw Man - Incredibly painful to read, but in a good way. Turned from a manga that I couldn't care less into one I look forward to reading every week. Fujimoto's doing his thing and I love it.

#3 Act-Age - Absolutely stunning series, Arcs tend to be slow at the beginning, but they always turn into something grand and very compelling. Yonagi's one of the best written characters in Jump right now and so is a great part of the series's cast.

#4 Jujutsu Kaisen - Great fights, great characters and an eerie atmosphere that I enjoy a lot. The recent has been pretty big, and while it's starting to feel it's dragging, it has had many amazing moments.

#5 Mashle - When it got announced in its batch, it was the manga I was looking forward to the most and boy I was in for a treat. Mashle's really fun, I love the comedic bits and never get tired of them, but the series has really shined when Koumoto lets his art all out and we get gorgeous moments.

#6 Magu-chan: God of Destruction - Heartwarming and fun series, every week it's a joy to see Magu-chan challenge things from our daily lives. (I still want that Magu-chan plushie).

#7 Moriking - Really fun at the beginning, recent chapters haven't been hitting it for me. Still fun at times.

#8 Undead Unluck - Extremely creative and fresh series when it comes to abilities and fights. Has a lot of potential, but I still can't get completely invested in it.

#9 Black Clover - Was really invested in the series up to the middle of the Reincarnation Arc where it started to drag. Latest arcs haven't really caugh my attention, villains feel bland and battles feel like power up show offs. Tabata's still a great artist.

#10 Mission: Yozakura Family - The most 50/50 series in the magazine for me. While I want to enjoy it, most of the chapters feel out of place and it keeps repeating tropes over and over, but it's fun sometimes so it's in a weird spot for me.

#11 Mitama Security - Disliked the series at the beginning, absolutely loved it midway through and the recent chapters have turned mostly boring. It was good while it lasted.

#12 Shakunetsu no Niraikanai - It's a really confusing series, I don't know what it is aiming for and humor is pretty weird. The pace is also too slow for me. Latest chapter was good, though.

#13 Time Paradox Ghostwriter - You know when you buy something that you think it's good and it works perfectly fine at the beginning but it ends up being a trainwreck. Yeah, that sums the series up for me. Great art, though.

#14 Ayakashi Triangle - Yabuki's art is great, but that's it. It just feels like it's going around in circles with barely any plot, plus all the ecchi is not my thing.

#15 Agravity Boys - Panels can get clogged with text and the humor mostly doesn't land for me. Don't find any of the main cast particularly interesting as well.

#16 Bone Collection - Weak art with weak writing. It has a good premise and setting, but it fails really bad at the execution, with jarring changes of mood and pace.

#17 Me & Roboco - Only enjoyed one chapter so far but still wasn't quite there. Nothing much to talk about it.

Basically everything from My Hero Academia to Magu-chan are the series I'm really into right now and the rest I read mostly just to stay up to date.

Last edited:

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
@Ryuusei, if you’re enjoying the recent arcs of MHA, then how come I haven’t seen you around the MHA sub-forums, huh? :SOON

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
@Ryuusei, if you’re enjoying the recent arcs of MHA, then how come I haven’t seen you around the MHA sub-forums, huh? :SOON
To be completely honest with you, I'm pretty lazy to actually post in other threads/forums lol. I check the MHA one from time to time, but yeah I haven't posted there.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
MHA: My favorite manga in the magazine in general, and currently one of the best arcs in the series imo

Act Age: I just love all of the characters, the writing and the art

Jujutsu Kaisen: not caught up to where it’s currently at, but I’m close enough, and it’s just a really fun Shonen.

Moriking: I was very meh about it at first. But the comedy really hits well for me

Time Paradox Ghostwriter: despite its flaws I still enjoy it. All in all, with it probably getting axed in a few weeks I do think it’s among Jump’s more solid axed series

Yozakura Family: it’s not amazing. But I really enjoy the atmosphere and art

Black Clover: still catching up, but like JJK, it’s just really fun so far. Nothing spectacular, but I enjoy it.

One Piece/Dr.Stone: love both of these series. But I’m not remotely close to being up to date to know what’s going on. I can’t confidently put them high in my ranking, but I’m sure if I was up to date they’d be much higher.

Ayakashi Triangle: love the art and character designs. Story isn’t spectacular but I can enjoy some action with some fan service mixed in

Chainsaw Man: I enjoy the series a lot. But this type of series is way to violent and gorey for me to be in love with. My favorite kind of series are on the lighthearted side.

Agravity Boys: whenever I read it I enjoy it. I think there’s way too much text for the type of series it is though, and it makes reading it feel like a chore.

Magu-Chan: I like it. Just not in love with it.

We Never Learn: I read the first 100 chapters or so and enjoyed it. But I don’t have an interest in ever catching up. Still keep up with what’s going on a bit though

Bone Collection: I like some aspects of it. And dislike some aspects.

Me & Roboco: I don’t hate it. But feels like it’s clearly for a much younger audience than me

Hard-Boiled Cop & Dolphin: I think Tamura’s style in manga making just isn’t for me. I didn’t like Beelzebub. I didn’t like Hungry Marie. And I don’t like this

Mashle: I’m happy to see so many ppl like it, and that Jump has a success in it. I desperately want to like it because of that. But I can’t. This manga is AWFUL. I hate it. I don’t get it.

Undead X Unluck: dropped after 3 chapters and have no desire to ever read again

Last edited:

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
1. CSM - I will say that this is my fav ongoing manga in Jump atm. Honestly I've never had such an immersive read in WSJ since Toriko/HZ, what an incredible manga. I have the exact same praise for Jigokuraku and it's tied with CSM for me if we were to include Jump+ lol. I should be caught up with CSM by the time the Jump chapters are out!

2. JJK - This manga is a good battle shonen from what I've read but the faults I mentioned before like a rather poorly explained battle system and the chapters lacking cohesion is what dampens my reading experience. Maybe I'll just suck it up and get caught up eventually. I do like what I'm seeing from the current chapters.

3. Mashle - It's a fine series. It has potential so I'm keeping up with it. The manga is improving with it's art so that's a plus for me lol.

I have Act Age on hold and don't think I'll start catching up till an anime is announced. If I had to place Act Age it'd be above JJK, it is also a good series but don't have the time to read it atm. UxU is a series I plan to read soon since I heard it has good world building and that's missing in a lot of battle shonens nowadays. I also want to get caught up with the Wano arc eventually but these hiatuses are keeping me off from doing so.

Ayakashi/TPGW/Magu/Hard Boiled Cop & Dolphin are all series that I've dropped.

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I have a handy conditional formatted sheet just for this that I update from time to time:

A more detailed breakdown:

High Tier (Favourites)
0. Hunter x Hunter - Even though it's on hiatus it's the best thing that still technically runs in the magazine.​
1. Act-Age - Best-written manga in Jump, best battle shonen in Jump, fantastic main character, shows honest truths about the entertainment industry, impactful art that brings out the most in the acting scenes and makes them leap from the page. Was gripped from the beginning and it's current arc is setting itself up to be the best already.​
2. My Hero Academia - Recently caught up with this so recency bias might bump it up, but Overhaul arc and the current war are fresh on my mind. There were some stretches of fantastic chapters from this year that while might have been more painful to read weekly were amazing in bulk. It's a great battle shonen.​

Mid Tier (Anything from Great to Good)
3. Chainsaw Man - What a ride. Absolute carnage. Always enjoyed it but the recent chapters have been a feast for the eyes and punch in the gut.​
4. One Piece - Still think Wano is the second worst arc post-timeskip (the only great parts are the flashbacks and parts between each act that aren't anywhere near Wano), but it's finally getting somewhere. And it's One Piece. Anytime I don't love a chapter I just remind myself of all that's come before.​
?. Dr. Stone - Currently catching up on this. Still early days but this feels like a good spot. I'm not a massive fan of the lengthy science explanations even though I admire what's gone into them, but it's a refreshing overarching story. Wish Bochi didn't draw girls like blow up sex dolls though.​
5. Jujutsu Kaisen - I dropped this a while back but the Shibuya stuff has been fantastic. Art borders between messy and impactful. Wish the world-building didn't limit itself to so few schools/characters - I have a feeling that will stunt its growth in the long run but for now it's a nice weekly read.​
6. Black Clover - Also recently caught up. It's a little hollow behind all the action, but the action is pretty great! Glad I'm reading the manga and not watching the anime because the disservice to Tabata's art is so very cruel.​
7. Time Paradox Ghostwriter - Only this high because of that major chapter 7 twist. Everything before it was dampened by the unlikeable main character's plagiarism, and everything since has been chaotic and rushed to obvlision. And yet I'm still entertained. Not even mad it's being cancelled either for some reason.​
8. Agravity Boys - The first 20 or so chapters gave me so many belly laughs. I'm a big sci-fi lover and WSJ tends to not have many modern successes so I'll take this for as long as it runs. Hope it sticks around for another round or two at least.​

Low Tier (Anything from Decent to Reading Out of Habit)
9. Mashle - Found it really funny for the first volume or so but after that the jokes suddenly stopped landing for me. Appreciating it's current shift in tone, hope it manages to be a good balance of action and comedy.​
10. Me & Roboco - Call me crazy but I like it! It's made me laugh more times in four chapters than all the other gag manga/comedies below it.​
11. Moriking - Another one that made me laugh more early on, hope it doesn't lose steam.​
12. Mission: Yozakura Family - Honestly caught up because I wanna read as many ongoing manga at the same time. Sometimes I forget it's there. It's kinda repetitive. The 'romance' between the main couple is probably my highlight.​
13. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - I want to say this is the best of the new batch but it keeps fluctuating for me. Plus I hate to say it but I don't think the art is very good.​
14. Undead Unluck - Probably a good manga that's just not for me. I lump this with the likes of Toriko and earlier macho action franchise that do not appeal to me but are still readable enough and will probably end up being popular with the magazine's main demographic.​
15. Mitama Security - Another gag manga that started strong for me but became not so funny. Reading out of habit.​
16. Hard-boiled Cop and Dolphin - Only reading it because I liked Beelzebub and am waiting for something to click. However I don't think the premise works, I haven't laughed yet, the characters aren't popping, and I can't tell what kind of series it wants to be yet.​

Don't Read
17. We Never Learn - After Nisekoi I'm turned off by WSJ romcoms. If I caught up with it I might enjoy it but it's nearly done and I've been hurt before so I'll probably just let it pass by me until it ends later this year.​
18. Ayakashi Triangle - As a gay man, I have no interest in reading an ecchi manga for horny high school boys. I expect it to stick around for a while which means I will be silently bitter about not reading every ongoing series for quite a while. :<​
19. Bone Collection - Sorry to anyone who likes this but the mangaka's artwork was not ready to be published. Best of luck to them in the future though.​

Special Mention: Had you asked me this two weeks ago Haikyuu!! would have comfortably been at the top, where it had been ever since Bleach (my gateway anime/manga) ended.

Last edited:

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
  • The Four Emperors of Jump

Act Age - I was here since it debutted. Every arc starts out slow, but it always the calm before the storm

One Piece: 10 YEARS BUILD UP FINALLY PAY OFF. Also the prospect for
THE FINAL NAKAMA
from Wano gets my blood pumping

Undead x Unluck: The fact that I remember like 90% of the casts name say something. It just needs a long banger arc after UNREPAIR

Dr. Stone - Every arcs delivered

---------------------------
  • HYPE series

Chainsawman - MUH tragedy
My Hero Academia: current arc is MAD HYPE. I got super spoiled on Kamino so that arc was not that hype (I still believe everything up until Overhaul, Stain arc is the best)
Mashle: It needs to develop the side characters more and it would be really good
-------------------
  • Semi-hype series, if Jump axed these i would be sad for a week

Magu-chan: Cute and calm setting
Paradox Ghostwriter: Too late to turn back time :emocat

-----------------------------------
  • Usually reversed for new series, i like these better than the bottom tier
Cop and Dolphin: the last chapter convinced 2 of my friends to read so it is something
Agravity Boys & Mitama: I like mitama more but they both a light heart comedy/gag series
Ayakashi Triangle: I find it funny how Matsuri always wearing low crop top to highlight the crest
Moriking: Better than Spring Weapon Number One
We Never Learn: I still can't remember the girls name except for Rize

-------------------------------------
  • I casual read them but I have no attachments

15. Yozakura Family - Where is Futaba lol? so much for the "Family"
17. Bone Collection: factory exorcist series, patra is a cutie
19. Roboco: eh

---------------
Haven't caught up
JJK, Black Clover, (Haikyuu)

TheEnhancedExe

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'd say for me it's pretty hard to rank them, so I'll just mention my thoughts on what's currently going on:

One Piece

The current arc definitely had a lot of great moments so far, but as usual it often takes a very long time to build up to them, especially now that it went on break so often. Once it reaches a climax though, it is usually on fire. However I kind of feel that reading the spoilers early has recently started to lower my enjoyment of the series, although I've been reading spoilers for years now.

Dr. Stone

IMO one of the most consistent series in Jump right now. Inagaki just manages to keep the plot interesting and create comedy on a very consistent level. I really enjoy the current arc and am looking forward to the direction it takes from here on out.

Act-Age

Similar to Dr. Stone, I think it's very consistent in what it does. The current arc once again introduced a few new well written and designed characters. I'd even say it is one of the best manga in Jump right now in terms of character writing.

Ayakashi Triangle

I'm not a big fan of ecchi series, but the latest chapter kinda made me warm up to it a little bit. So far I think it's decent. If it introduces a more serious plot besides the ecchi, I could see myself enjoying it more.

Black Clover

Personally not that big of a fan of the current arc. I just think that pure action isn't my type and that I need more plot or comedy alongside it. It kind of reminds me more of 80's or 90's battle shounen that had barely any plot, but mainly just action going on.

My Hero Academia

The current arc is on fire and I really like how many characters are getting the spotlight during the arc. This is something that was long needed. Similar to One Piece, I feel like reading the spoilers early has recently lowered my enjoyment of the new chapters. So I want to try and stop reading them.

Chainsaw Man

I've been sleeping on this for way too long. Back when it first started, I went in with the wrong expectations, but recently caught up. It is unlike anything I've ever read and the current arc is once again doing a brilliant job.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin

It has some good jokes so far and has some interesting stuff, but I feel like it's missing something. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it could do a lot better.

Me & Roboco

It has some surprisingly funny gags, but I don't think it's doing enough to stay in the magazine for a long term.

Magu-chan

Easily the best out of the newest batch so far. The comedy is very creative and I think Magu is very well written. I'm really excited to see where this goes from here on out, because it has a ton of potential.

Mashle

It seems to be moving more towards the traditional kind of battle shounen, but it still has great comedy to make up for it. The fights so far seem to be well written and I like the way the most recent fight was concluded. I'd say it is enjoyable, but I'm not hooked.

Undead Unluck

It maintains its creative world building and it's currently taking time to flesh out certain characters. However similar to Mashle, I'm not really hooked.

Moriking

The early chapters had really good comedy. But recently, it felt more and more repetitive, because it seems to be reusing the same formula for nearly every single chapter. I kind of feel it needs to introduce new characters again soon. The cast of characters needs to grow in a way that not every single chapter focusses on the same characters.

Mission: Yozakura Family

I feel like the series needs more serious arcs similar to the current one. One major problem imo is that the series introduces a lot of characters that seem to be important, but never appeared again or barely ever appear afterwards.

We Never Learn

The arc that just finished was a lot better than the two arcs before that. Now there's just two arcs to go and I hope they're better than the first two ones I mentioned.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter

Initially, I really enjoyed it, but the pacing has increased way too much and it's skipping a lot of stuff, probably because it will get cancelled soon. It would've been great if I had the ability to see where the series would've gone if it had been popular, but there's nothing I can do about it. If it isn't popular, it deserves the cancellation. I hope both mangaka return some day as a duo again, because I think they have potential to get a huge hit.

the rest:

I still need to catch up with Jujutsu Kaisen. I stopped around chapter 55. I wasn't that big of a fan of the arc with the rival school, but I really enjoyed the arc before that.

As for Agravity Boys, I tried getting into it multiple times, but it just isn't my thing. I don't even know why tbh.

I dropped Bone Collection after 10 chapters. I would've dropped it earlier, but I wanted to give the series a chance and see whether it improves.

I actually read Mitama until chapter 10 or 11 and enjoyed it, but never found the time to catch up with it. Now that it's cancelled, I'll probably never read the rest of it.

Last edited:

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
High Tier:
1. Chainsaw Man - It's pretty sick to see the developments, I will say I really didn't like how they rushed into the last arc but it worked out alright i guess
2. My Hero - Great war arc

Mid to High Tier
3. Dr Stone - Never really disappointing, always happy, love the energy and the arcs
4. Undead Unluck - SOLID, extremely SOLID. Like it's the most SOLID a series can get, It can definitely get higher though

Mid Tier
5. Yozakura Family - has me super invested in how things will go and the relations of the the family, I also appreciate all the little details that people miss
6. Jujutsu Kaisen - Good stuff, sometimes gets boring, but there are some good elements at work.
7. Act Age - Galactic Railroad was a godsend, rest arcs are okay to eh
8. Magu Chan - Super Wholesome and funny
9. Black Clover - Sometimes it drags but its fine

Mid - Low Tier
10. MASHLE - The Battle stuff is okay and the one trick pony has seemingly dried up so I'm pretty unimpressed with the series now, but its fine
11. Ayakashi triangle - Awoke my inner love for thighs
12. Roboco - I like it just enough to put it here
13. Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin - My favorite chapter was 2 then my least favorite chapter 3. But it's def gonna up with last chapter it looks like

Low Tier -
14. Mitama - It's OK sometimes at comedy
15. Moriking - I appreciate the wholesomeness but its never made me laugh
16. Bone Collection - It had something nice for the last 3 chapters, the forest arc was utter shit though
17. Time Paradox - I just hate the last 4-5 chapters

Don't read the rest

Chuck_Atlas

Reaction score
Country
Peru
1. Chainsaw Man: Like everybody said, it feels so different from other series, and I like how it actually manages to be unpredictable

2. Mashle: My favorite newbie, was my favorite first chapter from its batch and it has managed to still be solid, enjoying both the comedy and the more serious chapters, mostly since Komoto can show off how good of an artist he actually is

3. Undead Unluck: This one has definitely grown on me, the two last arcs have delivered with the world building and setting the overarching plot,and of course like how creative it is

4. Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin: This one is so weird, absurd and completely full of nonsense and I love it. This last chapters have been it’s best thus far, both caught me off guard. Tho I’m definitely preparing myself in case it doesn’t last

5. Act age: this current Mini arc is nice tho I’m waiting for when we get into the meat of this storyline, hope it delivers like the Galactic Railroad and the Princess Iron Fan did

6. Magu-chan: So simple but so effective SoL/comedy manga, love the character interactions thus far.

7. One Piece: I need to catch up on the latest chapters, but I’m looking forward to how this arc develops towards its climax

8. My Hero Academia: Finally managed to catch up with this, this last couple of arcs have been the series best, ironically even if the serie has Academia on its title, I enjoy it more when we focus on the Pro Hero world rather than the school aspect

9. Yozakura Family: This one is the most hit and miss for me. I think it's at its top game when we focus on our main couple being a couple, I agree it needs to stop introducing to much characters and focus on/use the ones we already have, so I hope this arc delivers

10. We Never Learn: While the routes seemed like an interesting idea at first, I don’t feel Tsutsui has pulled it off properly; Fumino’s and Uruka’s could of been better, and I didn’t give two hoots about Rizu’s. The ones I’m really looking forward two are finally starting tho.

11. Time Paradox Ghostwriter: This actually hurts me to put it so low, it had a solid first chapter, but all the time skips definitely made it lose steam. Hope Date comes back, I really love his art

12. Ayakashi Triangle: I admit I mostly follow this for Yabuki’s art. If I were to complain about something is that I would like for it to do anything that makes it stand out a bit more from other ecchi romcoms,

13. Moriking: The series had a strong start but as of late it feels it lost a bit of steam IMO

I’m catching up with Jujutsu Kaisen. Don’t follow Black Clover, Dr. Stone and Agravity Boys. Stopped reading Me & Roboco for the time being

Last edited:

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Lately I have been enjoying other manga from other magazines more than the wsj. No order in particular tho.

-Black Clover: Basically what Ryuusei said. These villians are so annoying.

-Boku no hero: Well, it's good that we have the students get some screentime which it was lacking. But overall about the arc, it's fine.

-Time paradox: Good thing I didn't jump into the hype train since the announcement. The protagonist is insufferable. Too bad that the plot had so much potential that could have turned into something better and enjoyable to read.

The rest I have it on hold and I'm waiting for the new series to solidify and start reading them.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please bear in mind that I'mnot caught up to most of these, so I'm mainly using first impressions here of stuff I did read for most:

LOVE
My Hero Academia (it's been the best it's been since Kamino, I have a few qualms, but the payoffs are great. It does make me wish the buildup was better though.)

We Never Learn (Interesting idea with it's whole multiple endings thing, and Fumino's route is what saved it from being meh for me. Not really looking forward to Sensei's route tbh, tho.)
Ayakashi Triangle (Yeah, it doesn't have much in the way of plot, but I like it's characters and the art is great. I still believe it can grow to be better over time, which I think would be better than simply startng off strong and losing steam.)
Magu-chan (Some comfy stuff. The titular Magu was by far the best character, and I'm interested in seeing more.)
Undead Unluck (Really cool power system, some cool characters, though first few chapters weren't... the best.)

MEH
MASHLE (I initially didnt find this to be good but liked this more as this went on, but I'm still far from caught up.)
Time Paradox Ghostwriter (Started off strong, at least. The art is fantastic and I really hope that the artist can actually be successful one day.)
Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin (I'm intrigued, but I'm also quite cautious.)
Agravity Boys (Riiiight, I did read a chapter of this! Should read more. Chris is best.)
Me and Roboco (Had one or two good jokes, but otherwise was kind of whatever. I don't hate it, but I don't really care for it either.)

The reast I either havent read yet or plan to watch the anime for.

Last edited:

4Eyes

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
My personal enjoyment rank. This is by no means a wannabe 'quality ranking'

Reading weekly:
1 - One Piece - Wano is on fire
2 - Time Paradox - MC is an ***hole but I really want to see where this is going
3 - MASHLE - Characters are so cool here, I just wish the main plot were a bit more well-tied.
4 - Ayakashi triangle - I want to see where this is going too
5 - Mitama - Got repetitive in the last few chapters but its ending, so I'll complete.

Skimming over weekly:
6 - My Hero Academia - I feel it's only powerscaling now, but I read this for too long for dropping now.
7 - Moriking - Wholesome but not much happens here

Followed for a long time, but now dropped for being uninterested:
8 - Dr Stone - It became kinda repetitive after a while

Dropped after the first few chapters but planning to restart:
9 - Act Age - Dunno why I stopped
10 - Jujutsu Kaisen - Put away by the artwork but the anime is coming, so...

Dropped for being uninterested after the first few chapters:
11 - Black Clover - Obnoxious MC duo, the world building is good tho
11 - Undead Unluck - Boring
12 - Magu Chan - Wordy and boring
13 - Roboco - Boring
14 - WNL - Not my cup of tea
15 - Chainsaw Man - Try hard
16 - Bone Collection - Boring

Dropped for hating after the first few chapters:
17 - Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin - Wordy and annoying
18 - Yozakura Family - This goes nowhere and the characters are obnoxious
19 - AGravity Boys - This goes nowhere and the characters are obnoxious

Last edited:

Reading Somethin'

Reaction score
Country
Honduras
0. Hunter x Hunter, I love the complexity of the new arc and the character dynamics.

1. Jujutsu Kaisen, The power system isn't as well-defined as nen, but I really enjoy the territory system.

2. Undead x Unluck, The raw creativity in this story is amazing.

3. Chainsaw Man, I really like the twists and turns the story takes, but I can't feel invested in the characters especially because all side characters are throw-away characters. Everyman characters also aren't my preference.

4. Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin, I like the premise and character archetypes.

5. Moriking, It's cute, fun, and wholesome.

6. Mashle, Mashle is entertaining, but several jokes fall flat like the sis-con.

7. Mitama, R.I.P.

8. TPGW, wasted premise, real shame.

FireFantasyVI

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. One Piece
Even if Wano isn't perfect all the time, I still love it. Especially since the raid started, it has been pretty consistently incredible

2. Dr Stone
Surprisingly really enjoying this arc after the transition between arcs felt a little weak, and I like the new antagonists

3. Jujutsu Kaisen
Current arc has been insanely good, and it's been riding high since the flashback arc. Only see myself liking the series more as it goes on

4. Chainsawman
What is there to say that hasn't been already

5. Act Age
Really loving the buildup so far, and I look forward to the payoff when they start filming

6. Mitama Secureity
I'll miss this little fella like you wouldn't believe. Even when the gags are lighter, it's still heartwarming as hell.

7. My Hero Academia
Current arc has been very hit or miss for me, some chapters are great, some I forget about immediately after reading them. Really hoping something substantial changes at the end of this arc. Has been jumping around perspectives a little too much for me to get invested in one location

8. Moriking
Gags have been landing consistently and it's another heartwarming series. Really sad about the sales, but since it's not ending this round I can pray it turns things around

9. Magu Chan
Favorite of it's batch by far, love the dynamics and humor

10. Undead Unluck
The recent chapter really improved my opinion on the current arc as I felt it was starting to feel a little boring

11. Mashle
I actually prefer the action to the comedy in this series as the comedy hasn't been landing all too much. Fights look cool and I love how the art is improving, but chapters go by so quickly it's hard to really dig into

12. Agravity Boys
Flashback arc was pretty weak, but now that it's over and seemingly not axed I look forward to what's next

13. Black Clover
Current fight has been going on for way too long and I don't care for the antagonists in the slightest. Nothing to really change my opinion of the series, but I've been uninvested for quite a while now

14. We Never Learn
Aside from the climax of each arc, I haven't really been invested in the earlier chapters. Rizu arc was kinda meh and Fumino was a little better, but not enough to really make me want to read and in fact lowers my expectations for the remaining routes.

15. Me and Roboco
It hasn't been particularly remarkable but there's a weird charm to it

16. Ayakashi Triangle
Hasn't done much to get my interest (aside from the last chapter) but hasn't done anything to put me off from it

17. Time Paradox Ghost Writer
At this point I'm just here see the end, I don't really care what happens anymore

18. Cop and Dolphin
Showing signs of improvement but still feels a little directionless and I'm not big on the cop elements

19. Bone Collection
Puts me to sleep and the arc it's getting axed on has been very uninteresting

20. Yozakura Family
Don't care for the humor or characters, sometimes has a decent chapter but it's had enough "bad" chapters that I can't root for it anymore

OniluapL

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
disclaimer: even if i'm pretty negative in some, don't really mean to sound like the series is Actually Bad or anything. Enjoy what you enjoy, find good what you find good.

1. Chainsawman
Fujimoto is consistently amazing me. The storytelling, paneling and, idk, overall mise-en-scene is something I can't believe I'm reading in Jump. It's shockingly good right now.

2, One Piece,
One of my favorite series ever and I've loved Wano since the beginning. It's an excellent setting and I'm into the themes of rebellion and opression, and seeing all this starting to payoff is great. Not to mention the payoff to... well, everything else. It's always an incredibly fun series that I'm happy to read.

3. Act-Age
Yonagi is a great character and I'm invested in her path throughout the series, it's a great exploration of her character and the current arc, while not the best, is still pretty good.

Those three, I will be honest, are the only ones I REALLY look forward to reading every week.

4. Mitama
I will miss Mitama so much. It's always so comfy.

5. Boku no Hero Academia
Not the biggest fan, honestly, but the current arc is pretty good! Nice visuals and some great parts regarding some characters. I just missed 1A a bit, but now I'm getting my wish, so that's great.

6. Dr Stone
It's a fun series, but I'm not tremendously invested. The arcs tend to lose me when they get too big. But it still has great humour and creative moments.

7. Magu-chan
The series is just that low because it's way too recent. But I really, really enjoyed every chapter.

8. Time Paradox
The series is a mess, structurally, but I actually think it has some interesting ideas and I wanted to see where it went. Can't really say it didn't deserve the (likely) axe, though.

9. Mashle
It's just a consistent pleasant and fast to read series, not much more.

10. Moriking
Ditto.

11. Yozakura
Ditto, but a little worse. It's kinda charming, but there's a lot of characters, most of them not very well utilized, because... I don't think the author makes good episodic plots? It's a waste. The overall mystery is actually not bad, though.

12. Black Clover
Not feeling the current arc, don't like the villains and feel like it's not well established. But the visual of the fights can be pretty cool at times.

13. Undead Unluck
I love the lore and the power system, there's some cool shit going on here, but the storytelling didn't connect with me at all. I hope it does eventually, there's so much potential in this universe

14. Agravity Boys
This series is weird. I hate around 75% of it, but occasionally it gets so stupid in a good way and it makes me burst out laughing.

15. Ayakashi Triangle
Honestly, except the art, I didn't enjoy anything about it. It's just a bad romcom, imo.

16. Roboco
Eeeeeeh.

17. Cop and Dolphin
Nothing about this is working with me. The plot is a mess and the humor didn't hit at all.

18. We Never Learn
Never really enjoyed the series, and the route system just cratered my feelings for it. Please, please, just end.

Not up to date in Jujutsu (it's next on the list, though), and I hated Bone Collection, so don't plan to see how it ended.

Last edited:

Bodoro

Reaction score
Country
Canada
1. Agravity Boys: Just love reading this. I know it doesn't have a plot but I enjoy it because it's just bros messing around

2. Chainsaw Man: Amazing manga. Binge reading this was really good while I was trying to catch up a while back. Every chapter has been interesting and enjoyable and I hope it stays as impressive as it has been.

3. Undead Unluck: Best first chapter of a newbie out of all the newbies I have read, and it's been great since. It's fun, the characters are awesome, the fights are amazing and really happy that it has been recieved well.

4. Mashle: Honestly, I didn't care much for Mashle until Lance chapter came and ever since its been one of my favorites to read.

5. Moriking: It's Moriking.

6. Yozakura: This has an anime feel since the start. Can be kinda boring in some chapters, but overall really nice.

7. Time Paradox: Pretty interesting manga, and has kept me interested throughout it's run. Never felt bored.

8. Hard Boiled Cop: Lol this manga is pretty funny, and the MC and Dolphin duo are hilarious.

9. Ayakashi Triangle: Pretty funny at times, and it's kinda relaxing to read.

10. Jujutsu Kaisen: Don't kill me please. First let me say that I really like Jujutsu Kaisen when I was binge reading this to catch up like I did with Chainsaw man. The difference between them is that Chainsaw man is still enjoyable to read weekly, while Jujutsu for me is not. Every chapter I read feels weird because everything feels disconnected for me as it moves around quite often. I might leave this on hold, and save chapters to binge as this is really good when binge reading (Definitely going to reread this arc that is going on).

11. Bone Collection: Dropped, gave it chances but no I do not like this at all. It doesn't look good, it's boring, and I don't care about anything for this manga.
So yeah, I mostly read manga that I enjoy and if I don't like it I drop it. So I like all of the ones I listed except Bone Collection. For the veterans such as Hero Academia, Black Clover, Dr. Stone etc. I watch the anime for them, and I haven't read Act-Age, Mitama, Magu or Roboco but I might start them soon.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Too lazy to write a lot but My Hero Academia, Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsawman and Act-age would be the 4 manga I'm enjoying the most. Specially My Hero Academia which is being in a very very very epic arc, and Jujutsu Kaisen which is being pure weekly madness

High Tier (Favourites)
1. My Hero Academia
2. Jujutsu Kaisen
3. Act-age
4. Chainsawman
5. Mashle

Mid Tier (Anything from Great to Good)
6. Magu-chan
7. Moriking
8. Ayashaki Triangle
9. Mission of Yozakura Family
10. Black Clover
11. One Piece
12. Time Ghost Paradox Writer
13. Unead Unluck

Low Tier (Anything from Decent to Reading Out of Habit)
14. Dr.Stone
15. Cop and Dolphin
16. We Never Learn
17. Agravity Boys
18. Mitama
19. Bone Collection
20. Roboco and me

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ranking the series by overall enjoyment (haven't read One Piece only)
1. Chainsaw Man
2. Mashle
3. Magu-chan
4. Undead Unluck
5. Act-Age
6. Jujutsu Kaisen
7. My Hero Academia
8. Ayakashi Triangle
9. Dr, Stone
10. Agravity Boys
11. Mori King
12. Black Clover