Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1259 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
alright that's way too assumptive. Unless you personally know Gondaira you can't just assume these things. Just cause they want to do gags a lot doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing
I'm judging it based off how poorly he's handled his characters, and how I felt about his serious arcs. Like that one that pretended to be a political thriller with absolutely zero substance or pacing. Just a rollout of lazily executed tropes.

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm judging it based off how poorly he's handled his characters, and how I felt about his serious arcs. Like that one that pretended to be a political thriller with absolutely zero substance or pacing. Just a rollout of lazily executed tropes.
that's based on your opinion... Your opinion doesn't tell what the author is doing,

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
alright that's way too assumptive. Unless you personally know Gondaira you can't just assume these things. Just cause they want to do gags a lot doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing
I enjoy the series, but it legitimately does seem rather directionless.
-characters being introduced left and right
-constant shifts between tones

We should also consider that the series was never doing hot of the TOC. It’s quite possible that all of shifts in direction, and character introductions could be reactions to reader surveys along with the editorial suggesting things in order to improve the overall reception.

Had it started off at the top of the TOC we may have been seeing a very different series

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Not really sure why we're talking about "yozakura should have gone the Reborn route" when reborn only made the switch over 60 chapters in. Not only that, Reborn was already a popular series prior to that, getting cover at chapter 22 then again at chapter 53 and with generally solid rankings in a stacked lineup, and the switch might very well have been planned right from the beginning.

A switch to a battle shonen on the other hand would likely be a hail mary for Yozakura. I don't really get the feel that it's where the author wants to take the series at all. Reading a series just hoping for it to turn into something it's not is a bit strange, honestly.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Also, given Arakawa has a relationship with Shueshia now, my dream that will never happen is a Final Fantasy 6 adaptation from her in Jump. She'd be the absolutely perfect fit.
Wait, is there a rumor that I missed about Arakawa? How is she rumored to be linked to Shueisha?

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
that's based on your opinion... Your opinion doesn't tell what the author is doing,
Idk, as a writer you can usually tell when another writer is faking it and just filling up space. Sure, it's my opinion but it's based off of personal and professional experience.
Clearly you're not interested in this kind of discussion though and just want to write anything you don't like off as simply "opinions". Way to simplify your opposition.

Heading to bed for the night.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Wait, is there a rumor that I missed about Arakawa? How is she rumored to be linked to Shueisha?
I'm sorry, my mistake entirely. I for some reason confused Arslan Senki for being in Ultra Jump. Not sure why. Total brain fart.

Kobī-Stan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not really sure why we're talking about "yozakura should have gone the Reborn route" when reborn only made the switch over 60 chapters in. Not only that, Reborn was already a popular series prior to that, getting cover at chapter 22 then again at chapter 53 and with generally solid rankings in a stacked lineup, and the switch might very well have been planned right from the beginning.

A switch to a battle shonen on the other hand would likely be a hail mary for Yozakura. I don't really get the feel that it's where the author wants to take the series at all. Reading a series just hoping for it to turn into something it's not is a bit strange, honestly.
Which is why I said "Would" instead of "Should/Should now", past tense. Had the thought when the series was fairly new, so there wasn't much to feel where the author wanted to take it.

"Would" instead of should because like you, I think the sudden change now would just be a hail mary. Do I read it for what it is and enjoy it, yes. Do I still believe a planned transition to a battle series after establishing the family could have done better, yes.

TheRealTravisty

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just want to say that I absolutely agree with you. I had high hopes for Yozakura being the next Reborn, or even better than Reborn since it was in mediocre comedy territory for far too long. But those hopes were quickly dashed when the titular family rarely showed up in favour of some spy who's obsessed with Taiyo and/or Mutsumi. How many of these characters are there now, like 10? It's quite irritating. I'm not sure how much longer I can hold on with this series.

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Oh my...

Last edited:

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Translation I saw on WSJ Discord.

Notice regarding the end of serialization of "act-age"

On August 8th, Tatsuya Matsuki, who is in charge of the original work of "act-age", was arrested.

The editorial department took this situation very seriously, confirmed the facts, and had a discussion with Shiro Usazaki, who is in charge of drawing. As a result, we have decided that we cannot continue the "act-age" series. The serialization will end with the publication of "Shonen Jump 36/37 merger issue", released on Tuesday, August 11.

We will end the work that many readers have supported so far in this way, and we are very sorry, coming from the editorial department. However, we took the content of the incident and the social responsibility of "Weekly Shonen Jump" seriously, and made such a decision. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Although not only the editorial department, but Usazaki-sensei is also being heart-broken about this, and we will support her and make every effort to create new works. Regarding information pertaining to related publications such as book volumes and various events and plans, we will inform you as soon as it is decided after consultation with relevant parties.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
A few weeks ago I was praising Act-Age for possibly being one the best works from Jump I’ve ever read.

Its such a devastating blow to have it all end like this in a matter of a couple days and out of the blue.

This is easily the most disappointing cancellation of all time for me.

As disappointing as it is though, Jump made the right decision

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
A few weeks ago I was praising Act-Age for possibly being one the best works from Jump I’ve ever read.

Its such a devastating blow to have it all end like this in a matter of a couple days and out of the blue.

This is easily the most disappointing cancellation of all time for me.

As disappointing as it is though, Jump made the right decision
I exactly feel the same.

I hope Shiro comes back soon. I have a hunch we will be seeing her back in 2021.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, there you have it.

It's just a travesty on multiple levels, but I do understand the decision. This explains the sales boost too. Everyone read the room and wanted a complete collection before the axe.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
There dies my tiny hope... I will never see Kei achieve greatness and find true happiness in her life....
This really was on the verge of becoming a big player in Jump and now it is just gone, forever.
I even would be fine with a final chapter ala Kei dies in a car accident and we have all the other characters pay her tribut at her funeral. At least it would be a proper ending, a terrible and sad ending but one that does happen all to often in our world anyway, people dying before their time due unforeseen circumstances. In this case the creator being a criminal.
Man, my day just got so much sadder now...

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Well, there you have it.

It's just a travesty on multiple levels, but I do understand the decision. This explains the sales boost too. Everyone read the room and wanted a complete collection before the axe.
How would you guys feel if this blew up to near-Kimetsu sales (sounds unlikely, I know, but you never know)?

Status
Not open for further replies.