Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1487 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
:twitch is Canon Movie the way now ladies and gentlemen

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Infinity Train finished it's opening weekend grossing 4.5 billion yen. As shown in the tweet, it's twice the amount the previous record holder (The Matrix Reloaded) grossed in its opening weekend.

evielynn

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Out if curiosity. How would you guys rank the MCs of Jump currently, from best to worst? And what would your reasonings be for the #1 pick, and the last place pick?
Late to answer this, but I'll put in my two cents. For series' with multiple protagonists I'll include them as one.

1: Yuji Itadori (Yuji just feels like an actual realistic character to me, which is such a fresh thing in battle manga like JJK. Especially with events from a few chapters ago, Akutami is easily making him one of my favourite protags in Jump of all time.)
2: Senku Ishigami
3: Denji
4: Mash Burnedead
5: Asta
6: Magu
(I don't care what you say, Magu is the main character, not Ruru. fight me. Also he's fucking hilarious.)
7: Taiyo Asano
8: Andy / Fuuko
9: Iori Katanagi
10: Deku
11: Boyle Samejima
12: Agravity Boys
13: Roboko
14: Mori King
15: Matsuri Kazamaki
16: Hizuki Siblings
17: Kotaro
(Probably biased from the fact that I can't stand Kokosei Kazoku, but Kotaro purely exists to be a generic nobody compared to his family. Boring character)

Bodoro

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Out if curiosity. How would you guys rank the MCs of Jump currently, from best to worst? And what would your reasonings be for the #1 pick, and the last place pick?
I guess mine would be:

1. Agravity Boys (In order it would be Geralt, Baba, Saga, Chris. I just love seeing them mess around honestly, and it makes me really happy to read every week because of them)
2. Asta
3. Deku
4. Andy & Fuuko
5. Denji
6. Yuji
7. Taiyo
8. Moriking
9. Boyle
10. Iori
11. Matsuri
12. Mash
13. Magu & Ruru
14. Luffy
15. Senku
16. HS Family (The dad is great, but the other characters are kinda boring)
17. OBO brothers (Shin is kinda cool, but his brother is boring. I guess they would be my worst pick since they aren't that interesting, and the others in the magazine are better)

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Honestly, I'd love to see what film versions of the Mahito arc and the current Shibuya Incident arc in JJK could be like.

perroloco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Personally, I wouldn’t want canon movies until we get simultaneous anime movie releases worldwide.
Unless Crunchyroll or (insert other anime company) don't get their act together... This won't happen, I mean it would be cool.. But it won't happen.

The closest thing to this would be a simulcast similar to Burn the Witch which got simulcast in CR (Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what happened, right? It was simulcasted like a day after it hit Japanese cinemas, correct?).

Maaaaaaybe... Mayyyybe... I can see Crunchyroll or other companies renting movie theaters or doing super limited runs of their simulcasts or something like that obviously limited releases are a thing that mostly happen in super populated cities so that would mean 90% of us wouldn't get the simultaneous movie release, which tbh I'm fine with it, like living in a small city I am used to that haha. I am used to waiting like 6 months for anime movies, iirc we probably will get this movie next year and also the last Fate movie, I'm used to waiting.. And I'm happy as long as we get the movies released, then again I live in a small city, but what about the people not in cities?

But I highly doubt there will ever be a day where simultaneous anime releases are a thing worldwide or even in the strongest markets which I imagine are other countries in Asia and France.

Personally I don't mind too much waiting for the movie to get to online services BUT what happens if that never happens?
If a cannon part of the story never gets into ANY streaming service?

As I said in a previous post this same thing happened with Shokugeki No Soma, for some reason they made a super important cannon part of the story (Around 2-3 chapters IIRC) into an OVA, btw that was a not like a "fillerish" kind of episode but more like a "bridge" between season 2 and season 3 because that episode introduced super important characters which to my knowledge has never been available to watch in any streaming service. So basically if I wanted to know what happened there I had three options:
a) Read a summary online.
b) Read the manga (illegally because up to that point the manga was not being published at all in my country).
c) Watch the OVA (illegally, and then again I remember this OVA didn't get subbed for a while.. Which was weird considering how popular Shokugeki no Soma was).

Hopefully, publishers catch up to the fact that maybe from now on OVAs and movies will get cannon material, it already deteriorated the viewing experience of many Shokugeki no Soma watchers (I couldn't have cared less because I'm a manga reader, though I particularly wanted to see that episode animated).

But this probably will be a thing from now on? Maybe? Of course not every anime will get Kimetsu's success but if for example Black Clover or My Hero Academia tried this approach of making cannon material a movie in the future it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
:twitch is Canon Movie the way now ladies and gentlemen
Personally, I wouldn’t want canon movies until we get simultaneous anime movie releases worldwide.
Unless Crunchyroll or (insert other anime company) don't get their act together... This won't happen, I mean it would be cool.. But it won't happen.

The closest thing to this would be a simulcast similar to Burn the Witch which got simulcast in CR (Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what happened, right? It was simulcasted like a day after it hit Japanese cinemas, correct?).

Maaaaaaybe... Mayyyybe... I can see Crunchyroll or other companies renting movie theaters or doing super limited runs of their simulcasts or something like that obviously limited releases are a thing that mostly happen in super populated cities so that would mean 90% of us wouldn't get the simultaneous movie release, which tbh I'm fine with it, like living in a small city I am used to that haha. I am used to waiting like 6 months for anime movies, iirc we probably will get this movie next year and also the last Fate movie, I'm used to waiting.. And I'm happy as long as we get the movies released, then again I live in a small city, but what about the people not in cities?

But I highly doubt there will ever be a day where simultaneous anime releases are a thing worldwide or even in the strongest markets which I imagine are other countries in Asia and France.

Personally I don't mind too much waiting for the movie to get to online services BUT what happens if that never happens?
If a cannon part of the story never gets into ANY streaming service?

As I said in a previous post this same thing happened with Shokugeki No Soma, for some reason they made a super important cannon part of the story (Around 2-3 chapters IIRC) into an OVA, btw that was a not like a "fillerish" kind of episode but more like a "bridge" between season 2 and season 3 because that episode introduced super important characters which to my knowledge has never been available to watch in any streaming service. So basically if I wanted to know what happened there I had three options:
a) Read a summary online.
b) Read the manga (illegally because up to that point the manga was not being published at all in my country).
c) Watch the OVA (illegally, and then again I remember this OVA didn't get subbed for a while.. Which was weird considering how popular Shokugeki no Soma was).

Hopefully, publishers catch up to the fact that maybe from now on OVAs and movies will get cannon material, it already deteriorated the viewing experience of many Shokugeki no Soma watchers (I couldn't have cared less because I'm a manga reader, though I particularly wanted to see that episode animated).

But this probably will be a thing from now on? Maybe? Of course not every anime will get Kimetsu's success but if for example Black Clover or My Hero Academia tried this approach of making cannon material a movie in the future it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

it's not even really the first time though. With Aniplex The Kizumonogatari and Zokuowarimonogatari movies are canon, Aobuta has a canon sequel movie, I'm pretty sure there's another I'm forgetting. Gintama's "final chapter" movie was announced well before Demon Slayer's success was known (although obviously assumed), light novels like Konosuba and Tanya the Evil have got them, etc. Even anime originals like Psycho-pass and Kabaneri have canon movies (with PP you need to watch them before S3). If you want to count OVAs then there's Food Wars like perroloco brought up or To Love Ru without even having to leave Jump.

Could Demon Slayer convince more companies to do canon movies? Sure. Do I think it will happen more than it currently does? Maybe for a bit but when none of the others get Demon Slayer's success we'll probably go back to normal.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This argument about unorthodox canon exclusivity kind of reminds me of when Black Clover at the time randomly brought in characters introduced in a light novel (not even written by Tabata) as arc major side characters without initially going over the background or how they knew Asta and Noelle at all.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #46 - VOTING!

Sorry for the wait, i decided to wait for Sunday since Spy x Family and Jigokuraku would be released already, the poll for issue #46 is now open HERE!

Alongside the last chapter of Rengoku Gaiden, the extra series this week are:

-Jigokuraku 115
-Spy x Family 35
-Kaiju No.8 14
-Excuse Me Dentist, It's Touching Me! 11
-Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective 2

Good Votes!

perroloco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
lol just a random thought I had...

So the excellent Japanese box office analyst Corpse mentioned that KnY's movie got the perfect storm, hollywood studios basically moved all their movies to other dates so KnY got tons of screens (Not to deter from its success of course the movie would have broken records, but basically what he/she meant is that thanks to basically not any other movies being screened KnY got screenings that would have likely not had gotten if there were other Hollywood movies showing).

But that's not the random thought I had... The random thought I had is.. have there been any other animated movies in 2020 that have been released? I can only remember Scooby Doo, Spongebob and.. That's it? Edit: And Sonic! How could I have forgotten Sonic which is the last movie I saw before the pandemic started! And also Lupin the first, which ironically I just saw last Friday but.. Let's face it, it's not gonna get nominated haha.

Can you imagine this getting Oscar nominated? Like Pixar or Ghibli didn't have films this year, and Weathering with you was last year, right? So just a random thought I had haha..

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a good ass question:

What's your guys' top 10 favorite chapters in manga(in jump) history?

Like chapters that were so memorable and you loved.

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
lol just a random thought I had...

So the excellent Japanese box office analyst Corpse mentioned that KnY's movie got the perfect storm, hollywood studios basically moved all their movies to other dates so KnY got tons of screens (Not to deter from its success of course the movie would have broken records, but basically what he/she meant is that thanks to basically not any other movies being screened KnY got screenings that would have likely not had gotten if there were other Hollywood movies showing).

But that's not the random thought I had... The random thought I had is.. have there been any other animated movies in 2020 that have been released? I can only remember Scooby Doo, Spongebob and.. That's it? Edit: And Sonic! How could I have forgotten Sonic which is the last movie I saw before the pandemic started! And also Lupin the first, which ironically I just saw last Friday but.. Let's face it, it's not gonna get nominated haha.

Can you imagine this getting Oscar nominated? Like Pixar or Ghibli didn't have films this year, and Weathering with you was last year, right? So just a random thought I had haha..
Oscar nomination requires a US run though and Funimation/Aniplex already confirmed it won't come until next year.

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa

Can only think of a couple, with biased on recent Jump series and the one I'm currently reading

Hokuto Chapter 136: Good Bye, My Nearest Enemy
Roah raises his fist up in the heaven, and died standing. The man finally knows sorrow
One Piece Chapter 388: Gear Second
Did not witness this during its run, but it is still a hype moment

One Piece chapter 894: 12:05
Katakuri vs Luffy fight, ending with Gear Four: Snakeman with smoke coming out

Eyeshield21 Chapter 154: Sena Kobayakawa
Banjo Spider vs Devil Bats, Eyeshield21 comes out of the field as Sena Kobayakawa with smoke coming from the stadium

Death Note Chapter 1

Undead x Unluck chapter 19: Result
Now adding, UMA Galaxy

Magister Xehanort

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
In fact, Pixar had the movie Onward that premiered this year.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Too lazy to write out a top 10 but I remember how hype Toriko chapters 243, 259, 303 & 335-341, etc. were. I would say most Toriko fans would know exactly what happened in those chapters if you just tell them the chapter number or know of a chapter that was very hype to them. I liked how chapter 303 was mainly narrating over an encounter that took 0.1 seconds xD or chapter 259 offering the best worldbuilding I've seen in manga.

Toriko easily offered the most hype from this magazine for me and I could go on about all the memorable chapters it had.

diatasty

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay

I will post only my favourite of all time: Sket Dance 286.
i think everyone who finished the series knows what happens in it. so iconic.

perroloco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico

I could make an entire top 10 just of One Piece but I will have to limit it to just one mention and I don't remember chapter numbers right now but I'm going to list them per series next to the arc so that if people haven't read/watched up to that arc they don't get spoiled:

10.- Slam Dunk (Last two chapters):
To be honest I liked Slam Dunk but it's not my favorite sport manga, not even close, but the last two chapters are so good.. I read the entire last match in a single sit and the last couple of chapters made my heart bump like crazy haha.

9.- Video Girl Ai (Chapter 18 & Chapter 19):
I have read other classic romance manga from Jump, but these chapters really made an impact on me back when I read them like 15 years ago, the whole thing with the glass staircase is a haunting memory that I still remember to this day..

8.- Dragon Quest Dai No Daiboken (Chapter 240 & Chapter 250):
Pop confessing and activating his crest of courage and becoming a wise man was soooooo cool for teenager me back when I read this haha
Also really enjoyed Pop and Marms whole conversation in chapter 250... Really soap operaish but I loved it haha..

7.- BLEACH (Chapter 162):
This chapter is epic, BLEACH was always about the flashy fights and cool poses and this is the perfect chapter, Ichigo vs Byakuya, what a freaking legendary chapter and I remember this was printed in color even in the volume releases (I guess USA didn't but worldwide it was printed in color).

I remember reading BLEACH almost in a single sitting back in 2004, I had no internet burned the entire manga up to that point, and read it on my internet-less computer haha, what a time, so yeah I have very fond memories of this chapter since it was fully in color and .. just perfect!.

6.- Rurouni Kenshin (Chapter 128-134, specially Chapter 132):
Kenshin vs Sojiro is just perfect, though I watched this in the anime first, so I loved the anime adaptation, though the manga counterpart is also perfect..

5.- Naruto (Chapter 85 & Chapter 190 & Chapter 436):
Rock Lee vs Gaara is a classic shonen battle.
Also the chapter where Pain talks about peace and war to Naruto, and about the cycle of hatred, it was beautiful.
BUT If I were to choose I'd say chapter 190, as a fat kid Choji's fight really stroke a chord with me back when I watched its anime adaptation back when I was like 14 or 15 and it's simply a beautiful fight..

4.- Hikaru no Go (Chapter 116 & 124):
The whole Sai vs Meijin was epic, but the final chapter is excellent shonen writing, Sai beating the strongest opponent shown in the entire series only for Hikaru to tell him of a path that not even Meijin found... Sai realizing the reason for his existence.. Beautiful..
And Sai leaving was heartbreaking but at the same part a natural conclusion to his arc..

3.- Hunter x Hunter (Chapter 84 & 298 & 306):
I LOVED was the Kurapika vs Ugovin fight, like it was sooo hype. Like it was chapter 84 and they were already showing us a fight with arguably an opponent of the highest tier.. This is pretty much unheard of haha.

I despised the Chimera ant arc when reading it, like it was sooooooooooooooooooo wordy, but when I watched it I LOVED the Netero vs Meruem fight and the Gon vs Neferpito... So yeah I didn't like the manga version but loved the anime version haha.

2.- Dragon Ball (Chapter 160 & 161):
Chapter 160 had the freaking most exciting cliffhanger ever haha Goku launches himself into the air to land the final blow against Piccolo with a Kamehameha and in chapter 161 he finally defeats him, I was a kid when I watched that episode and I remember it was probably the most excited I have ever been watching something haha..

1.- ONE PIECE (Chapter 398):
Just during this arc there were too many epic moments! "I want to live", "Shoot the flag", "I said I wouldn't lose to you" and Luffy beating the heck out of Lucci, the Going Merry funeral..

0.- Hoshin Engi (Chapter 101 & 102):
This is one of my favorite manga, but if I were to choose one chapter that I think it's geat on its own right it's got to be 102, just for the shock/comedy value, this is the chapter where the 4th wall is broken and it's almost as if JUMP had cancelled Hoshin engi and a new serialization started, it's so bizarre I love it.

To clarify this was a list of manga chapters which I consider left a deep impression on me, if this was a manga of my favorite Jump manga it would have been a little different.

Honorable mentions:
-From my childhood Captain Tsubasa doing crazy soccer tricks haha and Saint Seiya also had a lot of cool moments but I think it falls a little short to reach top 10.
-Yu-Gi-Oh! was what brought me back into anime/manga after a couple of years of not watching any.. It was thanks to Yu-Gi-Oh! that I picked the first issue of American SJ (Because of the BEWD card haha) and started reading every month.
-I''s and Ichigo 100% were other love comedies I read in my adolescence and loved them, there are particular parts that I still remember to this day and left a mark on me, but overall the Staircase in Video Girl Ai was very, very good. I recently bought Kimagure Orange Road, so let's see.
-Shokugeki no Soma and Bakuman I read weekly but there were no particularly great chapters that made me go OMG like the ones I mentioned.
-Prince of Tennis I binge watched and loved it too, but I can't pick a single moment, like I love a lot of different moments of the series.
-Shaman King, Sakigake Otokojuku, Hokuto No Ken are other titles I read (Hokuto no Ken I read the first half), and liked but I read too long ago so maybe that's why I don't remember any particular moment about them, currently reading City Hunter and so far I have enjoyed it.

Edit: I really struggled with the Spoiler tags in this post haha.

Last edited:

Rukasu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Already mentioned above, but Bleach's chapter 162 made me lose my mind as a 9 years old just starting to get into manga. It's nowhere close to the best Jump chapter I ever read, but is the first example I can pull from memory

Status
Not open for further replies.