Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 113 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Weekly Shonen Jump #52 (2021)
Dorondororon (New Series, Cover, Lead Color Pages)
My Hero Academa
One Piece
Witch Watch
Dr. Stone
Protect Me, Shugomaru! (Color Page)
Sakamoto Days
Blue Box
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page)
Ayashimon
The Elusive Samurai
Me & Roboco (Color Page)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction
Black Clover
Undead Unluck
PPPPPP
High School Family
Ayakashi Triangle
Mashle

Weekly Shonen Jump #1 (2022) - Information
My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead Color Pages)
Dorondororon (Color Page)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (Color Page)
Undead Unluck (Color Page)

Last edited:

Neala897

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation

Akutami requesting Shingo Yamashita to make the openings is probably my favorite about the Jujutsu Kaisen anime. Thank you for being an animation nerd
Definitely better than first. On a side not the more I look the more I sure Gege ripped off Nanamin design from Sasaki Isaburou from Gintama

Chuck_Atlas

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Peru
Finally got the time to write my thoughts down, first off, woah Matsui and Shinohara are both back, the former was expected but the latter, I was sure he will stuck to Jump Plus, this a very pleasant surprise, looking forward to what they bring this time.

At last, Moriking got put out of its misery, that was long overdue, feel bad for PS and Magu,still stuck in the bottom, even with a CP.

Build King surprisingly didn’t ended up in the top 5 like other series recently but still is a decent place for now,next week is when it really matters. Looking forward to Sakamoto also ranking as well.

And damn, that JJK opening is very nice, the visuals are out of this world

ginsenjou

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
most excited for Kenta Shinohara's return! sounds like it will be a fantasy based on the title

feel bad for phantom seer, doesn't seem like WSJ is interested in promoting it despite the initial good sales. it genuinely annoys me

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
most excited for Kenta Shinohara's return! sounds like it will be a fantasy based on the title

feel bad for phantom seer, doesn't seem like WSJ is interested in promoting it despite the initial good sales. it genuinely annoys me
I mean, at best it has passable sales atm. In a more competitive Jump time period(which may be approaching again soon) both PS and Yozakura would have already been axed.
I wouldn’t necessarily say it has “initial good sales”, but it’s sales are solid

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a batch to wake up to. Matsui’s series seems really interesting, looking forward to it. Need to learn more about the rest but they all seem intestine at a glance. Interesting to see the Anonatsu 1959 guy hopped over to Jump, I like his art.

I wonder if we have our romcom and spokon, only time will tell.

ginsenjou

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I mean, at best it has passable sales atm. In a more competitive Jump time period(which may be approaching again soon) both PS and Yozakura would have already been axed.
I wouldn’t necessarily say it has “initial good sales”, but it’s sales are solid
You're not wrong but considering the first volume sold better than every new 2020 manga except Mashle and Ayakashi, I would expect the editors to want to push it more like giving it a higher placement on ToC. It comes across as if the editors want the series to fail and get rid of it asap despite showing promise

OniluapL

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I can't believe I didn't dream this batch up. Four new series in a row? A new sports series, apparently? Matsui back? SHINOHARA BACK? Jump never catered to my feelings that much, it's absurd.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
You're not wrong but considering the first volume sold better than every new 2020 manga except Mashle and Ayakashi, I would expect the editors to want to push it more like giving it a higher placement on ToC. It comes across as if the editors want the series to fail and get rid of it asap despite showing promise
The ToC is a good indicator as to what’s doing well and want isn’t doing well when it comes to new series.
However the ToC likely isn’t exactly “Promo”.
Ppl who’re reading the magazine already know what’s in the magazine and what they are and aren’t going to read.
If someone wasn’t reading Phantom Seer in the back of the magazine, they’re not going to suddenly start reading it when it’s in the middle of the magazine.

I would say Color Pages and Covers probably definitely help recapture ppl’s attention. And Phantom Seer has gotten at least 1 color page despite having poor ToC placements. So you can’t fault them there.

Yozakura saw slight growths in both sales and ToC placements despite mostly being in the bottom of the magazine the majority of the time, which suggests ppl who liked it still probably read it in the back of the magazine. So I doubt being in the back really Effects readership all the much.

BX-02BLODIA

Reaction score
Country
United States
So Jump still has Bichrome pages. Now I wonder why none of the manga use it anymore.

Chuck_Atlas

Reaction score
Country
Peru
With Matsui and Shinohara back, gonna make the obligatory “Which other veteran will be back?” Question

I’ll go and say Ohba and Obata, and Kawada (The latter one not probably until late this year or in 2022 tho )

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Akutami requesting Shingo Yamashita to make the openings is probably my favorite about the Jujutsu Kaisen anime. Thank you for being an animation nerd
I am now begging Hori to request Yamashita as well from now on.

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
With Matsui and Shinohara back, gonna make the obligatory “Which other veteran will be back?” Question

I’ll go and say Ohba and Obata, and Kawada (The latter one not probably until late this year or in 2022 tho )
Pretty sure Ohba said during Bakuman that his next work would be his last or something.

I would like Ohba/Obata to come back but please, not another Platinum End.

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
There has been at least one veteran in each of the last four batches, that's kind of crazy. I kind of hope that the next batch has more of a young blood focus.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
So:
-Matsui returns
-Shinohara returns
-Alice to Taiyou author isn't back
-But Invade You author is back. Will he be able to do a Gondaira or will he be axed again?
-And spokon is back in the menu; we are very likely going to have our first baseball manga in decades
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Confirmed by Ryokutya:
-Matsui manga is going to be an historical tale
-It seems Invade You author is doing a romcom
-Kowloon is a baseball spokon
This is the most interesting batch in a while. Finally, some variety. Jump will have a spokon again, and we’ve also got our romcom. I...really did not like Invade You, but the artist seems to have improved quite a bit since then.

Do we have images of the new series? I think they were posted, but I never got to see.

EDIT: Yep, this batch looks pretty interesting! Can't wait!

Last edited:

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
It's nice to get a new sports manga again, now to hope it can at least survive a few batches. The last baseball manga in WSJ lasted a whole 10 chapters so it'll definitely do better than that, but I hope it can at least stick around long enough for some sort of new hit sports series if nothing else.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
New poll is up.

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
It's nice to get a new sports manga again, now to hope it can at least survive a few batches. The last baseball manga in WSJ lasted a whole 10 chapters so it'll definitely do better than that, but I hope it can at least stick around long enough for some sort of new hit sports series if nothing else.
Hey now, no reason to sell Buddy Strike short like that, only lasting 10 chapters... it was a whooping 11 chapters after all!!

Still a big yikes to think about. Glad that Kaito found a bit more success with Blue Flag...

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
That batch of new series sounds promising, looking forward to it. BK's ToC placement comes as a big surprise to me. Now we have to wait and see how the manga sales perform.

It's better visually than the first opening but wow the first opening grew on me a lot. I remember not liking the song that much at first and falling in love with it afterwards.

Personally I hope Yamashita doesn't do the next opening (S2). It'd feel repetitive. A big stretch but maybe get Rie to do an opening? Anyways they should switch it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.