Pleased, but sticky
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Global Moderator Notice:

As you lot have no doubt realized, this forum is currently in need of a new mod
I can not say when a new mod will be chosen, as this process takes some time and deliberation

Until then, however, I (and other mods?) will be happy to help

Anything you wish stickied: please tag me in this (or another) thread (with a link directly to the post in question), or PM me (again, with a link)
I can't stress enough how much this will help - saving time for everyone/getting what you need done quickly
I am pretty busy at the moment and this thread is not one that I normally hang out in - so am likely to miss TOC releases [for example]

I trust that you can all behave nicely until we have decided on a new mod, you lot don't need constant parenting do you?!?

Please report all posts that offend, PM/tag me (or another global if I'm offline/unresponsive) with anything you need done (posts stickied/polls created/whatever) and try to survive the [hopefully brief] period of freedom
❤ ~ zimbardo

Last edited:

Neala897

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Sales ≠ quality
Thats very complicated topic. Saying that sales always adequate quality is not true. However people who thinks that their fave manga sales are low because its too "elite" are lying to themselves.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
However people who thinks that their fave manga sales are low because its too "elite" are lying to themselves.
Nah, I do believe that.
Selling better doesn't mean higher quality. It only proves that it is appealing to the largest amount of people at that time.
Just look at the montrosity Billboard best of decade list and cringe at it. Yes, Imagine Dragon and Macklemore's Thrift Shop was really popular. But does that indicate they are the greatest rock and rap artist of last decade, when Bowie, Swan, Kendrick and Kanye have works that are both critical acclaimed and popular to fan?

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Nah, I do believe that.
when Bowie, Swan, Kendrick and Kanye have works that are both critical acclaimed and popular to fan?
As far as I can tell the artists you mention is quite popular, arent them? What I was talking about is more popular vs non popular( practically unknown) not popular vs crazy\very popular. For a moment I personally dont think that JJK is better than MHA even though it sells better right now, But I think its safe assume that JJK is better than a lot of manga that sells 10k+
You should actually try series from other magazines before you say that
lol Anyway theres a lot of very good manga in different magazines but Jump has best lineup. Thats I think main reason why Jump was and still mag thats so prominent in West. The only real competitor it has is Magazine. But looking how half of its lineup are romcoms I doubt they can beat Jump. Not unless is has more action\non-romcoms titles. But at least it puts a good fight unlike Sunday that just... exists.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Jump has best lineup
'Best' line up when half of it being axed baits. It's better than Sunday or Magazine for sure. But wake me up when it has any gems like Harta or Afternoon. Hell, even Young Jump with even more axed baits has more exciting lineup.

But I think its safe assume that JJK is better than a lot of manga that sells 10k+
I like JJK a lot, but imo there are tons of manga sell below 10k that are superior, like works by Abe Youichi or Imitation Crystal.

Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Shouldnt next question be why Jump gets more official release? If we would completely honest we would just admit Jump has better mangas than other mags. I meas as whole lineup.
I think Mammo hit it on the head earlier with "brand awareness". Which magazine were the "big 3" in? Which magazine had a monthly English version (before becoming digital weekly)? Which magazine does am English publisher use as their imprint name (that actually has manga people care about in the west not just by Rumiko Takahashi)? Which magazine has multiple crossover fighting games with the name of the magazine in their name?

Obviously doesn't matter in Japan but in the west I notice people who don't follow manga think Jump and Magazine are the same thing because "Magazine" is such a generic name and just sounds like someone is saying "yeah Fairy Tail is in the shonen magazine" so they assume Jump as the only one they heard of.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think if you’re specifically coming to manga nothing but Shonen (which is completely okay. That’s mostly what I come for) than Shonen Jump probably has the best lineup, or close to the best, when it comes to deliverying quality and variety
It’s arguably better the Magazine and Sunday, but it all just depends on your personal taste.

It’s you’re looking for more variation than just action/romance/sports/comedy Shonen series, than obviously Jump doesn’t have the best line up.

Lil meen

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think if you’re specifically coming to manga nothing but Shonen (which is completely okay. That’s mostly what I come for) than Shonen Jump probably has the best lineup, or close to the best, when it comes to deliverying quality and variety
It’s arguably better the Magazine and Sunday, but it all just depends on your personal taste.

It’s you’re looking for more variation than just action/romance/sports/comedy Shonen series, than obviously Jump doesn’t have the best line up.
I will say among the shonen demographic it has the best action line up. If we are including digital I would say jump plus is the best with magazine being a far second and regular jump in 3rd. Best magazine in general rn tho is definitely between afternoon and young jump. Those 2 are the only magazine I can say where a large chunk of the currently running series could easily be considered masterpieces.

Rukasu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Matsui is seriously the most underrated Jump artist nowadays, holy shit this elusive samurai chapter. His pages composition is insane

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Matsui is seriously the most underrated Jump artist nowadays, holy shit this elusive samurai chapter. His pages composition is insane
Kinda but art quality itself... I cant say I really like it,
Meanwhile BB... just according to keikaku

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Wish he had mentioned who's in charge now.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welp no wonder Tabata had to take a week off, those unfinished panels this week.

Please get some rest.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Yozakura had had the chapter of the week for me, followed by Undead Unluck.

Elusive Samurai right now is good, very good, but for some reason, it's being very heavily overshadowed by Blue Box in West.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Magu-Chan had the chapter of the week by several Miles/Kilometers, like, who would have thought the most epic battle in the past year in shonen jump would be in a manga like this?

FireFantasyVI

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yozakura was alright, don't really have anything else to comment on it

Undead was great, good action, and the ending has me on edge for next week. I've really grown fond of Shen

Mashle was decent, solid action but didn't really leave any big impression on me for the climax of the fight, and I'm not too interested in innocent zero

Ayakashi was good, interesting exposition but whew that fanservice

Magu was surprisingly super serious, but still enjoyable for an action chapter. Hoping it doesn't go too much into the action though. Could be moving to wrap things up, but we'll have to see next week

Dolphin was pretty cool, really loved the effects for being in the sphere, and the ending has me excited for next week, which is a rarity for the series

Roboco RTA'ing referencing a new series, and it was pretty good. The usual solid stuff

HSF continues on being a sports series, and it's good at it too

Sakamoto was great, loved the action against the dinosaur

Elusive was great as well, I love chapters focused on the antagonists, and this chapter did a great job of getting me invested in them

i tell c was the usual boring fare, with a ton of gags that fell pretty flat

Witch had it's best chapter so far, had me laughing from start to finish, and was really cute too

Kowloon was good, slowly but surely the team is getting there, but unfortunately it's probably too late by now

Blue Box was good, I'm liking the gymnast girl more now but otherwise not a ton to say

Candy was decent, no strong feelings on it

OP and Dr Stone were both great this week as well