Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 109 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Weekly Shonen Jump #52 (2021)
Dorondororon (New Series, Cover, Lead Color Pages)
My Hero Academa
One Piece
Witch Watch
Dr. Stone
Protect Me, Shugomaru! (Color Page)
Sakamoto Days
Blue Box
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page)
Ayashimon
The Elusive Samurai
Me & Roboco (Color Page)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction
Black Clover
Undead Unluck
PPPPPP
High School Family
Ayakashi Triangle
Mashle

Weekly Shonen Jump #1 (2022) - Information
My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead Color Pages)
Dorondororon (Color Page)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (Color Page)
Undead Unluck (Color Page)

Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I think My Hero Academia is very succesful tbh. Yes, it has became somehow a second door to see how strong a manga rises (the first door is Black Clover, and One Piece is starting to become the third door), but still:

-Is stable
-Yes, it was 8th last year in Oricon. With +6 million copies sold (I think it was its second best year ever)
-Is the biggest Jump manga in West (I recall it was the most sold manga in Spain in 2019 or 2020 according to Selecta Vision), and probably the biggest manga overall in USA (where it has numbers similar or even bigger than Naruto during its run)

I see My Hero Academia as the main Jump pillar in West, while Jujutsu Kaisen (and Kimetsu no Yaiba) is becoming the main pillar in Japan (of course in both cases, together with One Piece).

CuriousReborn

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Bahrain
I am afraid its deeper. One thing I probably dont like is how Gege practically just took team 7 premise without really changing it. Is it really okay so obviously making your spin on well known characters?
Huh? A team of 3 doesn't mean its the same as Naruto without changing it.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Reprints - 1/13

Straight to bookstores

2/18 - Kimetsu no Yaiba 1~12
2/19 - Kimetsu no Yaiba 13~23

Bookstores and warehouses

2/2 Kimetsu no Yaiba TV Anime Character Book 1, 2, 3
Another month full with Kimetsu in the ranking

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
KNY is slowing down :O
Either that or they're just printing much bigger batches every time they reprint lol. Such a large percentage of Japanese households already own the entire series.

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico

Brizzi

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This sums up tomino's interview about KnY
I'm really bothered when people talk about KNY being a product of coincidence or just being at the right place at the right time because, for me, it undermines all the fenomenal work Gotouge has put into the series. The anime team could be the best possible, but if the raw material was not good, it would just be a waste of a good team.

I know the anime had a great impact but I hate when KNY's success is justified only by the good adaptation with the "perfect" team. It bothers me just as much it's bothering me now people saying JJK's success is partially because of KNY's. Maybe KNY and JJK are successful because people think they're good?

Reading Somethin'

Reaction score
Country
Honduras
But speaking about JJK... Can I ask here what everyone overall thoughts on it? I am only watching anime and thinks its good but I can not shake the feeling that it strongly lacks... something
I am afraid its deeper. One thing I probably dont like is how Gege practically just took team 7 premise without really changing it. Is it really okay so obviously making your spin on well known characters?
It lacks huge emotional beats on the scale of most other shonen and transitions differently. The appeal for me is generally dynamic and the mechanics, what specifically got me interested was that most, if not, all villains are underdogs that do real damage.
The series does several homages to naruto, like the team 7 structure and Gojo's blindfold, but what gives the "Naruto clone" impression is that it takes from the same series Naruto took from, Yuyu Hakusho and HxH, JJK uses the nekketsu template, most battle manga use it, Naruto used it, I don't think it can dictate the identity or quality of a series.

Archaon

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
I don't think MHA could have explode like KnY. The subject matter of MHA give it a very niche appeal and limited pool of audiences. It's a series that cater to Western comic book but those was never really popular in Japan. It's theme and main motivations is less appealing and universal than one in KnY.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I would love to see Jigokuraku benefit from Kimetsu's success with it's eventual anime adaptation in the same way that JJK is (if that is the case)

But speaking about JJK... Can I ask here what everyone overall thoughts on it? I am only watching anime and thinks its good but I can not shake the feeling that it strongly lacks... something
It's great and the adaptation made me like the series even more. It improved upon the manga's weird pacing it had and with the manga sometimes I feel like Akutami is overly ambitious with his paneling. Other than that, I don't have much criticisms towards it and definitely don't think it strongly lacks something (?)

Also on the topic of WSJ animes, One Piece's recent episode was phenomenal. That's how you adapt manga & incredible work Ishitani.

ginsenjou

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really bothered when people talk about KNY being a product of coincidence or just being at the right place at the right time because, for me, it undermines all the fenomenal work Gotouge has put into the series. The anime team could be the best possible, but if the raw material was not good, it would just be a waste of a good team.

I know the anime had a great impact but I hate when KNY's success is justified only by the good adaptation with the "perfect" team. It bothers me just as much it's bothering me now people saying JJK's success is partially because of KNY's. Maybe KNY and JJK are successful because people think they're good?
I see your point but there are tons of well-written manga that never become successful and a lot of badly written manga that become successful so I do believe luck is the most important thing. No one undermines the writer when they say a story's success happened because it was at the right place at the right time because imo I find it to be true all the time.

Midak

Reaction score
Country
Italy

Aside from blind fanboys/fangirls from each side, I think the point about KNY has always been about the scale of its success rather than it being a good series.

Personally, I believe it is a good series which combines a lot of elements which Japanese readers like very much. The anime and it being a series near the end helped in my opinion.
As a comic, it has pros and cons.
Not in my personal top 10 though. The art improves as the series goes on, while the writing I feel could have been better, especially for the final part.

Can't say much about JJK. Honestly, mainly because of the initial art, I could not get into it.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
No untranslated text posts, everyone. Also, the ToC that was posted wasn’t confirmed.

El Jacco

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
ToC #7

Dr. Stone (Cover & LCP)
One Piece
Jujutsu Kaisen
Mashle
Black Clover (CP)
My Hero Academia
Sakamoto Days
Me and Roboco
Mission: Yozakura Family
Kemono Jihen (SP/CP/32p) by Aimoto Shou
Vati Lipepe (Oneshot/CP/47p) by Takahata Yuu
Ayakashi Triangle
Build King
Hard-boiled Cop & Dolphin
Undead Unluck
Magu-chan (CP)
High School Family
Phantom Seer
Moriking (END)
Our Blood Oath

Preview Issue #8:
Cover & LCP: Nige Jouzu no Wakagimi by Yusei Matsui (NEW SERIES)
CP: Yoza, Mashle, Oneshot
Absent: One Piece

New Series Schedule
Issue #8: Nige Jouzu no Wakagimi by Yusei Matsui (Supernatural Detective Nougami Neuro; Assassination Classroom)
Issue #9: Ai Terushii by Kazusa Inaoka
Issue #10: Witch WATCH by Kenta Shinohara (Sket Dance; Astra - Lost in Space)
Issue #11: Cron's (or Kowloon's) Ball Parade by Kamata Yuuki (Story) & Fukui Ashibe (Art)

Last edited by a moderator:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
ToC is confirmed and stickied.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
WSJ #8

Stone
OP
JJK
Mash
BC
MHA
Sakamoto
Roboco
Yoza
Kemono Jihen
Some oneshot that I don't know what the official spelling is :V
Ayakashi
BK
Dolphin
UU
Magu
HSF
PS
Mori (end apparently)
OBO

CP: Yoza, Mashle, Oneshot

New round of series:

1: The Young Master of Escape by Yusei Matsui
2: Eye Terushi by Kazusa Inaoka
3: witch witch by Kenta Shinohara
4: Cron's Ball Parade by Yuuki Kamada, Fukui Ashibi
Interesting if true. I guess Nak’s really all about bringing in veteran authors. Can’t say I agree with it, but yeah.

Also, Blue Box isn’t a part of this serialization round. Cool, cool. Was expecting it in Spring at the earliest. I wonder if one of these is a romcom...

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
holy shit is that Sket dance author?

also Matsui, IS BACK BABY!

Also last one I think is a sports series, since Ashibii previously did 3 sports manga

sports guys twitter https://twitter.com/makoXmako

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
Very exciting ToC leak.

I’m a little bummed about Build King being that low, but at least it’s not bottom five.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
The newbiebowl brings us new sacrifices! Finally! I’d love to see what these are about.

Status
Not open for further replies.